HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Penner wants to return; will take salary cut to do so

Old
06-19-2012, 10:57 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
I don't know what games you watch
I question the same thing.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:58 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Is that not what matters?

I get the sense that you like to disagree just for the sake of arguing.
Funny, that's what I said as well.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
Our "TEAM" as it were had only been together since POST TRADE DEADLINE ... and Gagne out hurt the majority of the year, so getting him back and having the whole team (and Coach) together for the entire season starting from training camp onward already IS AN IMPROVEMENT IMO.
Exactly and getting Gagne back, plus the emergence of King and to a lesser extent Nolan, plus Penner beginning to perform like we expected, means we went from having very little in the way of Wings, when we traded for Carter to all of a sudden having a wealth of them.

Whcih is one of the main reasons I suggest Moving Carter back to his natural position.

Answer me this: Is wanting to have Kopitar, Carter and Richards all play Center really such a ridiculous notion?

Is the idea of rolling 3 very good lines so crazy?

It seems to me when you have 3 very good centers then one would assume you would play all of them at Center...

Quote:
Oh man ... this is exactly why YOU DON'T PLAY THEM TOGETHER, two guys who by YOUR words are puck hogs and turn over machines and you want to pair them up ? YIKES ! btw we tried that for awhile you may recall during the year and they SUCKED together, as would be expected, it wasn't until Brown was moved to the LEFT SIDE and paired with Kopitar that his game really began to take off ... just like it does EVERY TIME they are paired together, plus they LIKE playing together, so maybe we should just leave well enough alone here, and see if Brown becomes that 30 goal scorer again like the last time he was paired the majority of the year alongside Kopitar.
I will ignore you putting words in my mouth. But anyways I honestly don't remember when they played together. I know there is a website that shows stats for different line combos I would love to see it out of curiousity.

My point is I think they create and take advantages of opposing teams turnovers, and create many outnumbered opportunities. So combined they could wreak havoc.

And I'm not surprised Brown played best with Kopitar. Everyone plays best with Kopitar, He's one of the very best players in the league and a phenomenal playmaker. I would assume Carter would also play best with Kopitar.

Quote:
Carter and Richards were just fine together,
Not in my opinion. Philly fans warned us about it and I think they were dead on. For as good as those 2 players are I would expect them to outperform their career rates when playing together. It didnt happen, and the way they played together was frustrating to me as well. I felt like Carter was not getting nearly enough chances.

Quote:

You undervalue Stoll,
I don't think we will ever agree on this one. Even though I value intangibles, I also put a value on offense and not playing shorthanded.
Quote:
that's ok I guess as many around here do, but thankfully I don't think Lombardi does, if you think Loktionov can do what Stoll did, I don't know what games you watch, and how has he payed his due ? playing in the AHL a couple years ? please ... be DOMINATE in the AHL, WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP in the AHL ... then we can talk. He's only just turned 22 and still has lots of development to work on IMO, if he was in the Detroit Wings organization, he'd still be down with the Griffins and we wouldn't even be talking about him
As for Lokti, I think you hold him to a very high standard. He has played a couple years in the AHL. And done very well there, I'm glad Lombardi feels different from you in regards to dominating, winning championships etc... In the AHL, otherwise we wouldn't have King, Voynov, Nolan, etc... on our roster this year.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
As for Lokti, I think you hold him to a very high standard. He has played a couple years in the AHL. And done very well there, I'm glad Lombardi feels different from you in regards to dominating, winning championships etc... In the AHL, otherwise we wouldn't have King, Voynov, Nolan, etc... on our roster this year.
Loktionov has played a TOTAL of 95 games in the AHL scoring a total of 22 goals in that time ... hardly all that impressive IMO

by comparision =

Dwight KING - 174 games + 20 in ECHL and scored 45 goals in the AHL
Jordan NOLAN - 115 games + 3 in ECHL w/ 14 goals, but he's a 4th line ENERGY guy
Slava VOYNOV - 231 games w/ 35 goals as a Defenseman

Again, I can have an opinion just like you can, and mine is that Loktionov needs MORE time to develop and should show himself to be a more dominate player at the AHL level before being handed the 3rd line center position in LA.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:04 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I have been one of Stoll's biggest critics on these boards. For most of his time as a King he was not a very good player. In fairness to him he was never put in a position to succeed. He should have never been a 2nd line player and should have never been on the point on the #1 PP unit.

This season he had clearly his worst regular season as a pro, he stepped up and played very well in a 3rd line role in the playoffs.

Whether or not Stoll returns will depend on both him and the Kings, as we have seen with Leino, Ward and others, someone will pay Stoll based on his play in these playoffs. The Kings are in a position where they can offer him a very fair contract, but the Kings can't get into a bidding war with anyone for Jarret Stoll, they still could use an upgrade at LW in addition to the huge cap hit increases Brown and Quick will have in the next couple of years.

So ultimately it comes down to Stoll and how much money he is willing to pass up to come back to the Kings. Whatever happens you can't hold it against Stoll, if he comes back for less because he loves everything about the team than good for him. If he does parlay a nice playoff into a big contract then good for him too, athletes have a short window to get paid and we as fans shouldn't expect them to leave money on the table.

Would also like to add that Stoll handled things pretty well all year, he could have *****ed or demanded a trade like Smyth when he was demoted to a lower line going into a contract year. His play on the ice was pretty poor for most of the year but he never complained or whined about it. I will give him huge credit for that.

Whatever happens I will thank Stoll for a strong playoff, his final 20 games more than made up for the memories of his previous 300.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Rusty Batch

Quote:
Loktionov has played a TOTAL of 95 games in the AHL scoring a total of 22 goals in that time ... hardly all that impressive IMO

by comparision =

Dwight KING - 174 games + 20 in ECHL and scored 45 goals in the AHL
Jordan NOLAN - 115 games + 3 in ECHL w/ 14 goals, but he's a 4th line ENERGY guy
Slava VOYNOV - 231 games w/ 35 goals as a Defenseman

Again, I can have an opinion just like you can, and mine is that Loktionov needs MORE time to develop and should show himself to be a more dominate player at the AHL level before being handed the 3rd line center position in LA.
I dont have any problem with you having a different opinion, thats what message boards are all about.

The only thing I would say is that Loktionov is more of a setup man then a goal scorers and obviously his point per game AHL numbers are much higher then the players you listed. That doesnt mean he is better. But I do feel it lends himself to playing with our vastly improved wing depth this year then last.

I remember Lokti mostly playing with Lewis and Richie. It doesnt get much worse then that for goal scoring linemates then that in the NHL.

The fact is our third line wingers next year might very well be King and Gagne. A vastly better fit for a guy like Lokti.

2 goal scorers like Gagne and King would likeley do better with a playmaker then Stoll.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote