HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clune and Cliche Signed to 2 year Contracts

Old
06-16-2012, 11:52 AM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I disagree, Marc-Andre Cliche could easily be our #4 center next year
I hope not, Cliche is not an NHL player (my opinion).

Would much rather bring back Colin Fraser. Cliche is 25 with not even 10 NHL games under his belt. Colin is 27 , Two cups, almost 300 NHL games....

Colin please.

The games I watched in Manchester (caught a few) Vey was a better Center than Cliche. Cliche doesn't do anything well in AHL. He is about average to below at everything.

He is also not as physical as Colin.

Last edited by damacles1156: 06-16-2012 at 12:03 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Clune really? Clune? Do people remember the playoffs 2 years ago?
I think Clune is going to be an insurance policy on Clifford this next season.

I really think we are likely to see Kyle play the majority of the year in Manchester...and maybe Clune gets his shot at the big time while they see how Clifford develops.

He was all kinds of awful this year.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
Do you remember the Kings two years ago? people change and grow I'm willing to see what he has now compared to two years ago
Yup. I remember when people were ready to trade Dwight King and Alec Martinez after their first times up on the team.....

Glad we didn't do that

Old
06-19-2012, 10:59 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I doubt ether guy makes the Roster. They are career AHL players.

Clune would not have a job if not for the Kings, Cliche the same.

So why would they not sign extensions ? Both of these guys are going to remain in the AHL. Both get to continue playing Hockey for 50k a year. That would sound good to me.

I don't even make 50k a year.
But they could go elsewhere (Euro) and make more money. I'm sure they have spoken to Moller and Holloway on that angle. Clune maybe not but Cliche certainly could.

Frankly, I think Clune's chance was 2 years ago and he's just not big enough to do his role in the NHL. Cliche though, i think he could replace Fraser on the 4th line and do so well.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:26 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
But they could go elsewhere (Euro) and make more money. I'm sure they have spoken to Moller and Holloway on that angle. Clune maybe not but Cliche certainly could.

Frankly, I think Clune's chance was 2 years ago and he's just not big enough to do his role in the NHL. Cliche though, i think he could replace Fraser on the 4th line and do so well.
Agree with you on Cliche, but I can see Clune being another guy that excels under Sutter, he isn't that small and I think he was just misused in his first stint with the Kings. If his two-way game has improved I could see him being a solid fourth line checker in a year or two.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

Agreed on both accounts. Clune was an agitator that was too small, couldn't grind, bad defensively, no hands, not NHL speed, really added nothing to the NHL game and has done nothing but get worse at the AHL level.

Cliche is solid twoway guy, a leader, plays all 3 forward positions, works hard, good skater, battles hard in the corners/out front. I see him more as a 14th forward, a versatile guy you throw in to mix it up or have injuries, plays 30-40 games a year when needed. I'd at least give him a real chance to make the roster next year as the extra man, hopefully Sutter will convince DL to move on with the useless heavyweight wasted roster spot and Westgarth says bye bye with Cliche stepping in as the 14th guy, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:06 PM
KBA4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Clune was an agitator that was too small, couldn't grind, bad defensively, no hands, not NHL speed, really added nothing to the NHL game and has done nothing but get worse at the AHL level.
I definitely don't agree with the "not NHL speed" statement. He was definitely plenty fast in his short stint with the Kings, I recall Jim Fox mentioning it a few times during broadcasts. Dwight King looked awful in his first few games as a King then look what happened. DL re-signing him for a few years shows that he still has some faith in him, even if he's just an extra forward. I don't think the size thing is that big of an issue...he's dropped the gloves a ton in the AHL and has come away relatively unscathed, plus Derek Dorsett is roughly the same size as him and he seems to be doing pretty well for himself

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Clune has the grit and speed to replace Fraser. Cliche does not.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Clune has the grit and speed to replace Fraser. Cliche does not.
Good god, I hope they aren't planning on Clune replacing Fraser.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I don't mind Clune as a call up if the Kings need a pest in the lineup, but I have no confidence in him filling a regular spot on the roster. Fraser isn't going to provide much offense on the fourth line but you know he's also not going to be giving up many scoring chances, which is what you want from your fourth line.

You guys remember how much of a mess LA's fourth line was before Fraser entered the picture? They couldn't be trusted on the ice against many lines. Whereas with Fraser we saw his line at times go up against another teams top three lines and they never looked out of place. I'm hoping that Fraser is retained and that they keep Nolan with him. Not sure if Simon Gagne will be back on their line but I'd be curious to see how Clifford responds with Darryl Sutter coaching him from the start of training camp.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Good god, I hope they aren't planning on Clune replacing Fraser.
I doubt it, Sutter gets it and I think Dean is on board as well. This better just be an AHL signing.

The Kings just had a dominating Stanley Cup run in which they rolled 4 lines in every series and every situation.

You think they would trust Richard Clune out there in OT of a Stanley Cup Finals Game? ROFLMAO!!!!

This team finally gets it, you need 4 solid lines to win, the Kings toughness and grit is going to have to come from actual hockey players like Nolan, Clifford, Fraser and Greene.

Under TM we used to let other teams dictate our lineup, we always had to have Westy or Ivanans in there (remember, the team supposedly played bigger with a goon). Sutter came in and ended that crap, now other teams will be adjusting their lineups when they play us knowing the Kings will rolling 4 fresh lines for 60 minutes. Our bottom lines are finally a strength, and some here want to put Richard Clune in there and spoil that? Gross.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:05 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
The only thing Clune matches Fraser in is speed and grit (but Clune's version of grit means being an idiot). Fraser is at least 5 times more talented which illustrates exactly how much Clune doesn't belong on an NHL roster. He hasn't played in the NHL for two seasons and it's going to stay that way.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:13 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBA4life View Post
I definitely don't agree with the "not NHL speed" statement. He was definitely plenty fast in his short stint with the Kings, I recall Jim Fox mentioning it a few times during broadcasts. Dwight King looked awful in his first few games as a King then look what happened. DL re-signing him for a few years shows that he still has some faith in him, even if he's just an extra forward. I don't think the size thing is that big of an issue...he's dropped the gloves a ton in the AHL and has come away relatively unscathed, plus Derek Dorsett is roughly the same size as him and he seems to be doing pretty well for himself
Yeah I remember quite well since I was the one of the loudest advocating for both King and Martinez to get another shot. There is a WORLD of difference between a young kid of 20-21 years old getting a less than 10 game stint early in his career to a 23/24 year old developed player being asked to play a role he should be able to for a significant stretch of time and failing. Kids like Martinez and King were given looks and hope. Neither were nearly as bad as people say either. Clune is a failure, which is why he has been banished to the AHL for two straight years (where his icetime/production have fallen every year since). Fine his speed was average (considering we have Penner and King), but I remember Jeff Giulano being pretty damn fast. Clune is a idiot who takes penalties, too weak/small to grind/hit effectively, loves to run the boards, gets crushed with a big hit at least once a game, has no hands, can't pass. He is quite simply, not an NHLer, what POSSIBLE role could he play? An agitator that can't play hockey? Pass.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:59 PM
KBA4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yeah I remember quite well since I was the one of the loudest advocating for both King and Martinez to get another shot. There is a WORLD of difference between a young kid of 20-21 years old getting a less than 10 game stint early in his career to a 23/24 year old developed player being asked to play a role he should be able to for a significant stretch of time and failing. Kids like Martinez and King were given looks and hope. Neither were nearly as bad as people say either. Clune is a failure, which is why he has been banished to the AHL for two straight years (where his icetime/production have fallen every year since). Fine his speed was average (considering we have Penner and King), but I remember Jeff Giulano being pretty damn fast. Clune is a idiot who takes penalties, too weak/small to grind/hit effectively, loves to run the boards, gets crushed with a big hit at least once a game, has no hands, can't pass. He is quite simply, not an NHLer, what POSSIBLE role could he play? An agitator that can't play hockey? Pass.
In his brief time with the Kings, Clune took 3 minor penalties in 14 games. Extrapolate that over an entire season, and that's about 36 PIMS from minor penalties over the course of a full season. Unless Fraser had a 10 minute misconduct this year that I can't recall, he had 32 PIMS from minor penalties in 67 games. 14 games is a small sample size, yes, but it's all we have to work with...there are twice as many fights in the AHL since guys are presumably trying to get noticed so those PIM numbers should be taken with a huge dosage of salt. I'm not saying that Clune is going to be a dynamo on the fourth line, but the notion that he's some slow, lumbering penalty machine wasn't the case when he played on the Kings. Fraser played quite effectively this year, but he isn't a two-way monster or anything...The guy was a healthy scratch for the fricken Oilers numerous times last year.

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:24 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

FWIW noticed on CapGeek that the second year of Cliche's contract is one-way. His first year and both years for Clune are two-way.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
FWIW noticed on CapGeek that the second year of Cliche's contract is one-way. His first year and both years for Clune are two-way.
Interesting and not sure why DL would do that. Make more sense to sign him to a one-year, two-way deal with the expectation he gets a brief showing and if he deos well he'll get a one-way deal after that.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I think Nolan on the 4th line had more to do with the success it had than Fraser did.

I like Fraser, don't get me wrong, but he was just as useless for parts of the year as any other forward.

That line put it together when Nolan came in. And Richardson also found his role as well late in the season. At this point I would rather have Clune or Cliche in the lineup then Clifford. Clifford was just all kinds of bad. If it comes down to being in the pressbox, or getting minutes in the AHL, I'd rather he go to the AHL and actually play.

Besides, he is still on the last year of his ELC, and will be an RFA after next season. We wouldn't lose anything if he played in the AHL instead of another year of Cliche and Clune.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:23 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I think Nolan on the 4th line had more to do with the success it had than Fraser did.

I like Fraser, don't get me wrong, but he was just as useless for parts of the year as any other forward.

That line put it together when Nolan came in. And Richardson also found his role as well late in the season. At this point I would rather have Clune or Cliche in the lineup then Clifford. Clifford was just all kinds of bad. If it comes down to being in the pressbox, or getting minutes in the AHL, I'd rather he go to the AHL and actually play.

Besides, he is still on the last year of his ELC, and will be an RFA after next season. We wouldn't lose anything if he played in the AHL instead of another year of Cliche and Clune.
You didn't watch the games then, Fraser is the F3 on that line. He makes up for all the Defense, Nolan and Richardson don't play.

Nolan and Richardson are both not too savy when it comes to D. Fraser makes up for that. With Fraser being the High forward it also allows Nolan+ who ever to fore-check with reckless pressure; cause they know he is back their.

Also you have a short memory, the Fourth line sucked until Fraser started to Center it. Then it got even better when Nolan joined it.

Their is a reason Scrubs like Cliche or Clune are 25 with not even 10 NHL games played; and guys like Fraser are 27 with 280+ NHL games and Two Cup Rings.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote