HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I'm hoping one of the Swedes drops to us.
I was pretty pumped to see that Collberg was 27th on Bobby Macs list. I'd be very happy if we can snag one of him or Aberg.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Is Jankowski a guy we should look at if he's available at 28?
Offensive talent, natural Centerman, size, skill, balance to go with a nice frame, but most likely scouts have seen him this season only, against weaker competition.

If you take this player in round one its a big risk. But looking at his attributes I wouldnt fault anyone for taking that risk. Unless that teams cupboard is bare, see the NYR's in 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
If Koekkoek was healthy, he'd challenge for top ten. We've been saying this alot this year with all these guys. I can't remember when so many top guys were as injured.

Thrower is hard one to determine. His package looks great (that's what she said!!) at the Dub, but not sure if this is him peaking.

Schmaltz seems to have a dirty shot, release. Don't know much else.
I still think Koekkoek goes in the teens and no later than 20.

Thrower looks like he still needs some conditioning, he has room to mature physically, most of these kids do.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

I still think Koekkoek goes in the teens and no later than 20.

Thrower looks like he still needs some conditioning, he has room to mature physically, most of these kids do.
I agree with that, but Thrower's not gonna be a BrindAmour. I don't see conditioning taking his game anywhere different than it is now.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I agree with that, but Thrower's not gonna be a BrindAmour. I don't see conditioning taking his game anywhere different than it is now.
At that size the conditioning will help him stay healthy and away from the IR

Old
06-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
At that size the conditioning will help him stay healthy and away from the IR
Do you see Thrower as a Giordano or a Ferrence type d-man?

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Do you see Thrower as a Giordano or a Ferrence type d-man?
Barret Jackman with a better offensive skillset.

I think he has the potential to be used like Giordano on the PP, though I'm not sure his shot will be as good.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Barret Jackman with a better offensive skillset.

I think he has the potential to be used like Giordano on the PP, though I'm not sure his shot will be as good.
That's some high praise in my book. I've always liked Jackman. If only Richter didn't get hurt that one year against Chicago (I think).

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
That's some high praise in my book. I've always liked Jackman. If only Richter didn't get hurt that one year against Chicago (I think).
i've always been a big Jackman fan too, would have paid a first for him when Richter got hurt and ended those trade talks.

Thrower has that snarl to his game like Jackman, and seems to bring it every night.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Fireonk

Just curious what you guys think of Phil Di Giuseppe. Solid sized forward who put up strong numbers for Michigan this year. Mckenzie has him at #30.

Anyone seen him play at all?

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:41 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
Just curious what you guys think of Phil Di Giuseppe. Solid sized forward who put up strong numbers for Michigan this year. Mckenzie has him at #30.

Anyone seen him play at all?
I can give you a quick rundown based on some draft guides.

Very good speed, shifty forward. Used to never use his size, shying away from contact but improved upon that this year. Still not the most physical. Hard and accurate shot and has soft hands with good hockey IQ.

I only saw him play one game, but he impressed me. He was ok along the walls and put a rebound in the back of the net - knew just where to be. He has pretty quick feet and used them often. He didn't always finish his check when he could have, though.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Crease

If the BPA is a defenseman, take a defenseman. They're picking late in the first round, which means the player isn't going to be NHL-ready for at least 2 years. Who knows what the roster is going to look like then. No need to reach for forward.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

these are a few of the players that the Rangers should draft...i really like Sutter and Stepan.....Sather likes bloodlines, he has in the past...so there is something to think about...

Sutter
Stepan
Winther
Laughton
Fox
Clarke

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Stepan is not a first round pick. Probably not even a second round pick. Third round yes.

Sather doesn't run the draft. Clark and Gorton do. Sather obviously trusts their judgement.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Jacques Strap

Everybody has put in their 2 cents, so I guess here is mine. These are some players I think would be good draft choices for the Rangers.

Mikhail Grigorenko - 1st round - if he drops into the teens, I would definitely try to trade up to get him. Future no.1 center.
Sebastian Collberg - 1st round - probably will be gone.
Pontus Aberg - 1st round - probably will be gone.
Thomas Wilson - 1st round - probably will be gone.
Mark Jankowski - 1st round. High offensive upside.
Martin Frk - 1st round. Great shot, good scorer. High offensive upside. Brett Hull lite.
Henrik Samuellson - 1st round.
Andrei Vasilevski - 1st round. Great goalie prospect. Has all the tools. Great value pick if the Rangers decide to go for a goalie.
Oscar Dansk - 1st round.
Brady Skjei - early 2nd. Good defenseman.
Mike Matheson - early 2nd. Good defenseman.
Brian Hart - 2nd round. Probably early to mid 2nd if the Rangers trade down for two 2nd round picks.
Mackenzie MacEachern - 2nd round. High risk, high reward. Great potential.
Jimmy Vesey - late 2nd round. High scoring New England player
Anton Slepyshev - late 2nd or 3rd. Great skill and shot. Russian factor. Definitely worth a chance in the 3rd.
Cristobal Nieves - 3rd. I'm not sold on his hands, hockey sense or scoring. Great skater and good size.
Chandler Stephenson - high potential offensive threat. Had an injury. Slowed down his season. Strong skater, shot, hands and distribution are above average. Great work ethic. A bit undersized, but I like him a lot as a late 2nd or 3rd.
Sam Kurker - 2nd or 3rd.
Chris Calnan- 2nd or 3rd.
Matia Marcantuoni- 2nd or 3rd. Injury riddled season. Great skater, stick handler and shot. Questionable hockey sense.
Nicolai Prokhorkin -3rd. Big and skilled. Plays both sides of the puck. Will even drop the mitts. If he comes over, he would be a great pick in the 3rd.
Devin Shore -3rd.
Anton Zlobin - 3rd or 4th.
Ben Johnson - 3rd or 4th.
Joonas Korpisalo- 3rd or 4th. Very good Finnish goalie prospect. Would be a great late goalie pick.

Hopefully we can draft some of these players this weekend if we don't trade the 1st pick for some scoring help.. I would be happy with any four or five players in their respective rounds.

Good luck to the Rangers, Gordie and Gorton this weekend. Let's Go Rangers !!!

Last edited by Jacques Strap: 06-20-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:18 PM
NYR425

The more mocks I see, the more I think Thrower is our man if we stay at 28.

NYR425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
The more mocks I see, the more I think Thrower is our man if we stay at 28.
I don't know if he has the size to play his type of game in the pros.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Posted this in the draft poll thread, figured I might as well post it here too:

Quote:
Take this with a grain of salt, as I have never watched Frk play. I can think of two guys who were considered top 10 picks and fell in their draft year and now look like dynamite prospects (Saad and Ty Rattie). I believe going into the year Frk was considered a top 10 pick. Could he be on a slower development curve such as the previous two mentioned? Just curious.
Basically, Frk was rated really high and fell, just like Ty Rattie and Brandon Saad, and now those two prospects look like huge steals. Any chance Frk could be in the same sort of situation?

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post

Basically, Frk was rated really high and fell, just like Ty Rattie and Brandon Saad, and now those two prospects look like huge steals. Any chance Frk could be in the same sort of situation?

I definitely think so. He has a great shot and knows how to score. He's an average skater, but that can be improved. Some people are comparing his style of play to Brett Hull. Let's remember that Brett Hull was not that great a skater. He had an off year due to injuries. Depending on the players available at 28, I would definitely be happy with Martin Frk.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:

I don't think these kind of broad comparisons are too valuable, because there's just as many guys who were ranked very high, fell, and ended up huge busts. See, e.g., Angelo Esposito. Every player needs to be evaluated individually.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
I definitely think so. He has a great shot and knows how to score. He's an average skater, but that can be improved. Some people are comparing his style of play to Brett Hull. Let's remember that Brett Hull was not that great a skater. He had an off year due to injuries. Depending on the players available at 28, I would definitely be happy with Martin Frk.
He reminds me more of Oscar Moller

A guy I loved in his draft year, but aint no Brett Hull ..

Old
06-20-2012, 04:46 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I was pretty pumped to see that Collberg was 27th on Bobby Macs list. I'd be very happy if we can snag one of him or Aberg.
I'm biased but I doubt Collberg goes any lower then 15.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Entrancemperium

In tsn's mock draft Grigorenko went 17 to San Josť, if he drops that far I really don't see San josť picking him since he performed poorly in the playoffs and they are starved for performance in the playoffs.

I would love to see the Rangers move up and grab him, maybe it's a bit of a pipe dream.

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
I don't know if he has the size to play his type of game in the pros.
I can list more than a few Dmen who played tough at that size. Barret Jackman was around the same size when drafted.

Quote:

Quote:
He reminds me more of Oscar Moller

A guy I loved in his draft year, but aint no Brett Hull ..
I feel ya MB, I was a big Moller fan too.

Frk has nice offensive abilities but the game is not played entirely in front of the opponents net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
In tsn's mock draft Grigorenko went 17 to San Josť, if he drops that far I really don't see San josť picking him since he performed poorly in the playoffs and they are starved for performance in the playoffs.

I would love to see the Rangers move up and grab him, maybe it's a bit of a pipe dream.
Why are teams passing him up?

I rarely get excited at any of these guys who slide down the draft board, usually good reasons why they fall.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:

Why are teams passing him up?

I rarely get excited at any of these guys who slide down the draft board, usually good reasons why they fall.
According to Mckenzie, it's because he performed poorly in the playoffs and the russian factor.

About the playoffs it's said he had mono and the russian factor is there but Grigorenko could still go top ten according to Mckenzie, but if he falls I want the Rangers to make every effort to move up and grab him, maybe it will be like Cherepanov part 2 but with a happier outcome.

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

BTW for what it's worth, which is Zilch LOL, I think the Islanders will go with Dumba. Their last few years of picks have all been gritty competitors with skill (Strome, Neidereitter, Okposo, O'Marra).

I'd love it if I had the time to compile teams and data on the leagues they draft from as well any consistency in style of players.