HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 28th Overall

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Rangers to select 28th overall at the draft?
Andrei Vasilevski 8 8.08%
Martin Frk 15 15.15%
Malcolm Subban 6 6.06%
Ludvig Byström 2 2.02%
Tom Wilson 22 22.22%
Mark Jankowski 15 15.15%
Colton Sissons 0 0%
Phil Di Giuseppe 1 1.01%
Oscar Dansk 1 1.01%
Stefan Matteau 20 20.20%
Michael Matheson 0 0%
Tanner Pearson 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

vCash: 500
I would be shocked if the Rangers really have a shot at Tom Wilson this Friday.

Keke Mortsons helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:08 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keke Mortsons helmet View Post
I would be shocked if the Rangers really have a shot at Tom Wilson this Friday.
If someone's actually dumb enough so that he's not there at 28...God bless them.

This kid is a 2nd round project.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:17 AM
darko

Intrigued by Jankowski's upside. I'd take him.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If Kerdiles is gone when we pick, assuming we haven't traded our first and second by then.

Jankowski with #28
MacEachern with #58

Two "swings for the fences" as some want. Very talented players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
eco's bones

Huge CHL scoring numbers don't always equate to the NHL. Esposito has been mentioned but there are Rangers examples as well--Brendl, Lundmark, Dawes. Sometimes the players have the skills but they don't have the gumption. You can't teach someone to be brave. They either have it or they don't. You draft a forward purely on skill and you're pretty much stuck with the itinerary of a top 6 player. And if the points don't equate from amateur to pro--you've got yourself a bust. That was one of the great things about the Kreider pick--great top 6 potential--lights out speed with great size, great shot etc. He was going to make the NHL even if the scoring didn't come around.

I have doubts about Pearson mainly because having been passed over in the draft for two years his big numbers come along when he's playing against younger competition. Next year in the AHL he's back to playing older, stronger competition. He'll never be playing against guys mostly younger guys than himself again.

Frk might be good. He's had some injury problems and it seems some consistency problems. For a skill guy his stats don't jump out at you either. Two seasons in the Q and he's scored 50 pts. in 62 games and 29 pts. in 34 games. What kind of 3rd liner is he likely to be if he's not good enough for our top 6?

Wilson IMO is going to play. Has a chance to be a top 6 forward depending on how he develops but maybe more likely a 3rd liner with great size, grit and he can fight. For an iffy draft that's not a bad way to go.

Jankowski is worth considering as well. He's got to grow into his body some but he has nice size and plenty of skill and Hockey East is probably a perfect setting for him to develop right now.

As well I could live with Matteau--though part of me thinks that he might be better off in any other organization but ours because of his dad's years here--and the almost mythic event of that series clinching goal against the Devils.

Maybe the shrewdest pick though would be for a goalie--particularly Vasilevskiy--but even Subban or Dansk. The Rangers have a need in that area and AV I think when all is said and done may turn out to be one of the top players in this draft.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Went with Subban. Best player on board here is a goalie. This pick sucks

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Went with Subban. Best player on board here is a goalie. This pick sucks
Aw, and you picked the wrong one!

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Jankowski. Swing for the fences.
I agree with the premise from what I have seen of Jankowski, he looks like the real deal to me

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Is Nieves not worth a 28th pick? I saw one mock (can't remember where) that suggested we take him at 28. Don't know enough about the draft tbh.

06-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Is Nieves not worth a 28th pick? I saw one mock (can't remember where) that suggested we take him at 28. Don't know enough about the draft tbh.
Nah. Great tools but no toolbox. Questionable effort level. Would be a great project in the late 2nd round, but I think he'll go in the 40-50 range.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:06 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I really like the risk/reward of Frk and I also think they need a goalie so Subban would be a great option, especially just to keep NJ who REALLY is going to need a goalie, from getting him. Still, I just can't go against Matteau, especially when NYR have a draft methodology of grab the Man against Boys approach... 6'2" 210lbs at 18 y/o seriously!!! Kid comes with a chip on his shoulder, team USA, hard work ethic, the profile just fits with what NY drafts, oh and throw in the legacy factor! Stefan Matteau ATW!

Pull a goalie in the 2nd round.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Di Giuseppe. Like this kid a lot.
I go to UofM, and have hockey season tickets. He looks like he will be a solid player, but not the boom/bust type of pick I think a lot of us are looking for. I would enjoy the pick as I'd get to watch him ~25 times a year

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Maybe the shrewdest pick though would be for a goalie--particularly Vasilevskiy--but even Subban or Dansk. The Rangers have a need in that area and AV I think when all is said and done may turn out to be one of the top players in this draft.
After the disappointments of Blackburn (due only to injury, I know) and Montoya in the 1st round and LaFleur busting hard in the 2nd, I believe that Sather and his staff have shifted toward a philosophy of looking for goaltenders in the mid-to-later rounds (i.e. Stacjer) as well as free agency. They take longer to develop and have just as good a chance of becoming an impact player if drafted in the 3rd round or later (Lundqvist, Rinne, Thomas, Quick, Kiprusoff and Miller to name a few). I think there is more risk in drafting a goaltender early than any other position.

I went with Jankowski, as this team is young enough to let him develop. I view his upside to be the greatest among the options listed, although I will agree with eco's bones that Vasilevsky probably holds the highest upside of the goaltenders, which intrigues me.

I'm also sick of seeing Matteau given to the Rangers in mocks because his father scored one of the most memorable goals in our team's history. I think you go for something more than a bottom 6 power foward/grinder type in the first round. I'm not sold on what I've seen from him at all. Ditto for Wilson.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:52 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
With our first pick, I'd like to see...

Gaunce (I know they'd have to trade up for)
Wilson
Matteau
Kerdiles

And with our second pick...

Hyka
Jankowski
Bozon
Sissons
Pearson

Gaunce, Wilson, Matteau, and Kerdiles are big nasty power forwards. Wilson is a real homerun swing if you ask me, because he could end up being a bottom 6 player if you ask me. Kerdiles I like because I think he might have the best combo of speed, size, and skill, and is a RELENTLESS forechecker, which is Tortarella style hockey.

Hyka a tremendous skater with a great skill set, and we need better skaters up front, Jankowski is a raw talent that hasn't been tested, Bozon is a goal scorer and we need those and with Pearson it's just a matter of whether he's done developing or not.
Solid. I went with Pearson, though. Don't think he'll be in the 2nd round, particularly late when we pick.

What is your single best suggestion, in the totality of the circumstances, do we stay and pick, or do we trade up, if trade up, what round(s), with whom, and what player(s) do we give up to move up?

For example, there was something about the Hawks wanting Dubi for their 1st and a lesser D. It was just a post or a thread on the main board, I think.

Thoughts...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:58 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
.... I have doubts about Pearson mainly because having been passed over in the draft for two years his big numbers come along when he's playing against younger competition. Next year in the AHL he's back to playing older, stronger competition. He'll never be playing against guys mostly younger guys than himself again. ... ....
Yeah, his numbers won't be as good even though he'll also be a year older, but those numbers right now ARE SO exceptional (yakupov esque, I hear), he might make a good set of numbers nevertheless.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
After the disappointments of Blackburn (due only to injury, I know) and Montoya in the 1st round and LaFleur busting hard in the 2nd, I believe that Sather and his staff have shifted toward a philosophy of looking for goaltenders in the mid-to-later rounds (i.e. Stacjer) as well as free agency. They take longer to develop and have just as good a chance of becoming an impact player if drafted in the 3rd round or later (Lundqvist, Rinne, Thomas, Quick, Kiprusoff and Miller to name a few). I think there is more risk in drafting a goaltender early than any other position.
Not to get off topic here but I think what you wrote is commonly believed, even though I believe it's wrong and not backed up by actual stats.

I just went through the goalies who are the current starters for each team in the East and 9 of the 15 were picked in the 1st or 2nd round. Three were picked in rounds 3 and 4. Only 3 were picked after the 4th round.

I would have no problem with the Rangers taking Subban in round one because I believe he has a better chance of being an NHL starting goalie than the forwards and defensemen who will be around at pick #28 have of being impact players at their positions.

I think the Rangers should look to bring in a top goalie prospect as insurance...but they probably won't. Many organizations who have had a stud goalie ignore the position at the draft, like Colorado and Roy, and then have a hard time finding the right replacement.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Pizza

Having watched yet another NHL playoffs in which Size and Toughness played a huge role....I say gimme Size and Toughness in our draft picks.

Jankowski, Wilson, Kerdiles or some one else... who ever is bigger, tougher and has the most upside when we pick.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:09 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Having watched yet another NHL playoffs in which Size and Toughness played a huge role....I say gimme Size and Toughness in our draft picks.

Jankowski, Wilson, Kerdiles or some one else... who ever is bigger, tougher and has the most upside when we pick.
And that's a very sensible argument IMO. The bigger, stronger players on the Sens, Caps and Devils gave us fits throughout the playoffs. A lot of times are forwards were overmatched.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:18 AM
DutchShamrock

Problem with goalies is they hold little trade value. We gave away montoya, bryzgalov was waived. I think guys are looking at a schneider situation. If subban is ready to start but lundqvist is still trucking, we are giving away a 1st round asset for little.

The devils made a dynasty out of drafting in the last third for 15 years, almost none have been goalies. This is a prime draft to pounce on a trade when a guy you like falls a little. There will be lots of moving down for extra picks. Slot a guy for #28 but identify trading partners for opportunistic deals

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Problem with goalies is they hold little trade value. We gave away montoya, bryzgalov was waived. I think guys are looking at a schneider situation. If subban is ready to start but lundqvist is still trucking, we are giving away a 1st round asset for little.

The devils made a dynasty out of drafting in the last third for 15 years, almost none have been goalies. This is a prime draft to pounce on a trade when a guy you like falls a little. There will be lots of moving down for extra picks. Slot a guy for #28 but identify trading partners for opportunistic deals
Varlamov got the Caps a first and 2nd rounder, Lindback just got the Preds two 2nd rounders.

Little value, yeah.

And the Devils did take 2 goalies late in first during Brodeurs tenure.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:06 AM
eco's bones

Picking goalies in the mid rounds or very late is not a reliable method of giving your organization stability in what is the most critical position in the game. We got lucky with Henrik. Plain and simple.

We weren't so lucky it's true with Blackburn (though he should have been a good one), Montoya or LaFleur. Keeping in mind that we have Benoit Allaire as a goalie coach he should be able to mold a real talent into a very good if not great NHL goaltender. Montoya and Blackburn did not have that luxury and both of them were injury prone.

Currently Stajcer, Missiaen, Talbot and Johnson may all be good but their upsides don't lead anyone here (I wouldn't think) to believe that any of them will be much more than an NHL backup. Biron IMO has a limited shelf life at this point. For the most part he played well in the limited amount of games he played but he was more shaky towards the end of the year and if Henrik had got hurt towards the end or in the playoffs IMO--it would have been all over right then and there.

Now between Vasilevskiy and Subban--Vasilevskiy sounds like he's going to be the better goalie--but it also sounds like he might not be here for 4 or 5 years which is an awful long time to wait for someone. If I was thinking that I might be more inclined to go with Subban or Dansk.

OTOH it seems like there are a number of 2nd round worthy goalies beyond those three. I'm not absolutely fixed on any particular player or position for our 1st rounder--but I definitely think goaltending is an area that needs addressing really soon.