HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-20-2012, 08:01 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
I could get behind a few players:

'Bergs
Wilson
Schmaltz
Thrower

I think I could get behind Vasilevski as well.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
According to Mckenzie, it's because he performed poorly in the playoffs and the russian factor.

About the playoffs it's said he had mono and the russian factor is there but Grigorenko could still go top ten according to Mckenzie, but if he falls I want the Rangers to make every effort to move up and grab him, maybe it will be like Cherepanov part 2 but with a happier outcome.
In the end I think he'll be gone by our pick and it won't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

'Bergs
Wilson
Schmaltz
Thrower

Vasilevski could be one of the top 5 players in this draft when all is said and done. Totally fine with him at #28.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:19 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In the end I think he'll be gone by our pick and it won't matter

Vasilevski could be one of the top 5 players in this draft when all is said and done. Totally fine with him at #28.
I love what I have seen from Vasilevski but I wonder if it is too early to be taking a goalie? That is what I worry about. Isn't that sad? What if he pushes and is ready for significant NHL duty at 22? Hank will be 34.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

'Bergs
Wilson
Schmaltz
Thrower

I'd be pretty happy with any of those guys at #28. As BN said, Vasilevski projects to be one hell of a netminder. Not many holes in his game. Good size, agility, great glove hand and very solid technical skills. I think he'll play in the KHL for 4-5 years before we even broach the subject of him coming over.

That being said, I'd be a little surprised if they took a goalie that early. I think the shift in philosophy is coming -- i.e., taking a goalie with a high pick -- I just don't know if it's going to happen this year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Barnaby

I think you have to go BPA. If you think Vasilievski is THAT good, then you make the pick... especially at 28. I would be ok with that move, even though a flashy forward might be the sexier pick.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:09 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
In tsn's mock draft Grigorenko went 17 to San Josť, if he drops that far I really don't see San josť picking him since he performed poorly in the playoffs and they are starved for performance in the playoffs.

I would love to see the Rangers move up and grab him, maybe it's a bit of a pipe dream.
they will take him and then send him to clb for nash lol

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Nich

at the end of the day, i just hope we pick a boom or bust prospect going to college next year with one of our later picks. Give them time to develop, and we might have gold.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I love what I have seen from Vasilevski but I wonder if it is too early to be taking a goalie? That is what I worry about. Isn't that sad? What if he pushes and is ready for significant NHL duty at 22? Hank will be 34.
If he's ready for full time duties you can Cloutier him, trade him one for one or part of a package to land something valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd be pretty happy with any of those guys at #28. As BN said, Vasilevski projects to be one hell of a netminder. Not many holes in his game. Good size, agility, great glove hand and very solid technical skills. I think he'll play in the KHL for 4-5 years before we even broach the subject of him coming over.

That being said, I'd be a little surprised if they took a goalie that early. I think the shift in philosophy is coming -- i.e., taking a goalie with a high pick -- I just don't know if it's going to happen this year.
Yeah, thats the key, Sather and Clark history with drafting goalies in round one. Not seeing that as an option they've gone with in the past, and when they have the recent results have been poor.

That said, Vasilevski looks special to me, and I'm usually dead set against goalies in round one unless its a glaring need(Blackburn was a good pick at that time, bad luck with injuries yet again). Hated Finley, Krahn, Desrochers, and all those tall overrated NA tenders.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers should offer their pick at #28 for a 2013 1st round pick. I would offer the pick to the Wings who traded their pick to TB in the 3 way with the Avs involving Quincy and Downie. Will Detroit be a conference finalist next season? It will be a lockout shortened season. Even if they get Parise and or Suter,that doesn't mean anything. The Wings aren't the top team in their division with the emergence of the Blues. It would give the Rangers five picks in the 1st 3 rounds next season with the Panthers 3rd from the Wolski trade. FLA is not going to qualify Wolski by Monday. At the very least the Rangers would have the ammo to go shopping at the 2013 deadline with the extra picks. If the Wings wanted to get back into the first round on Friday,I would offer them the opportunity.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Yeah, thats the key, Sather and Clark history with drafting goalies in round one. Not seeing that as an option they've gone with in the past, and when they have the recent results have been poor.

That said, Vasilevski looks special to me, and I'm usually dead set against goalies in round one unless its a glaring need(Blackburn was a good pick at that time, bad luck with injuries yet again). Hated Finley, Krahn, Desrochers, and all those tall overrated NA tenders.
I agree. I'm generally not a fan of goalies in the top-end of the draft, but if you like a guy, you should take him. We're going to have to develop an heir to the King sooner rather than later. We all hope he'll play into his late 30's, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Given the unpredictability of the late-first round and beyond, I think taking a goalie at 28 is justified.

Oddly enough, if word gets out that Jersey wants a goalie at #29, then perhaps the option to trade back will arise. Edmonton, Columbus, and Toronto all could be looking at a goalie, so perhaps they'd be willing to jump ahead of Jersey and get their choice of Subban, Dansk or Vasilevski. #31 and #45 from the Jackets for #28? Then again, expecting Slats & Co. to break tradition at the draft seems like a pipe dream.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers should offer their pick at #28 for a 2013 1st round pick. I would offer the pick to the Wings who traded their pick to TB in the 3 way with the Avs involving Quincy and Downie. Will Detroit be a conference finalist next season? It will be a lockout shortened season. Even if they get Parise and or Suter,that doesn't mean anything. The Wings aren't the top team in their division with the emergence of the Blues. It would give the Rangers five picks in the 1st 3 rounds next season with the Panthers 3rd from the Wolski trade. FLA is not going to qualify Wolski by Monday. At the very least the Rangers would have the ammo to go shopping at the 2013 deadline with the extra picks. If the Wings wanted to get back into the first round on Friday,I would offer them the opportunity.
Detroit would really have to love a player at that pick in this draft. Not sure that's their style either.

Quote:
I agree. I'm generally not a fan of goalies in the top-end of the draft, but if you like a guy, you should take him. We're going to have to develop an heir to the King sooner rather than later. We all hope he'll play into his late 30's, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Given the unpredictability of the late-first round and beyond, I think taking a goalie at 28 is justified.

Oddly enough, if word gets out that Jersey wants a goalie at #29, then perhaps the option to trade back will arise. Edmonton, Columbus, and Toronto all could be looking at a goalie, so perhaps they'd be willing to jump ahead of Jersey and get their choice of Subban, Dansk or Vasilevski. #31 and #45 from the Jackets for #28? Then again, expecting Slats & Co. to break tradition at the draft seems like a pipe dream.
Tampa offers you two 2nds at 37 and 50, would ya do it?

Old
06-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Tampa offers you two 2nds at 37 and 50, would ya do it?
I'd think hard about it, but then I'd be really confused when Poille interrupted us and asked Yzerman why he was trading Nashville's picks to us.

They went to the Preds in the Lindback trade.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I'd think hard about it, but then I'd be really confused when Poille interrupted us and asked Yzerman why he was trading Nashville's picks to us.

They went to the Preds in the Lindback trade.
Right. I still have the pre-trade order in my head, shouldve consulted the interwebs

How about Carolina offers 38 and 47 ?

Old
06-20-2012, 10:42 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
No draft is a "throw away".

Anyone who approaches it as such should be fired on the spot.
When I said "throw away", it was a way of describing how teams who have had a measured run of success or drafting ignore the principles that got them there in the first place.

The Dynasty Isles and Oilers come to mind, as well as Neil Smith's putrid drafts post 1991.

Smith kept drafting high-end skill guys when his entire team was skill and skill. He never drafted the gritty 3rd and 4th line guys because he felt he can acquire them via UFA.

The current Rangers are all grit and toughness but they lack that game-changing, jaw-dropping skill (outside of Gaborik and Richards).

I say keep looking for players who can do that and draft them. Cherepanov should have been that guy. Now it's time to find the replacement.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Right. I still have the pre-trade order in my head, shouldve consulted the interwebs

How about Carolina offers 38 and 47 ?
I would probably do it depending on who was on the board (assuming this was while the draft was going on). With any luck we could end up with one of Hart, Schmaltz or any of the other "project" guys, and one of the top-end goalies (Dansk, AV, Subban).

Old
06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
He reminds me more of Oscar Moller

A guy I loved in his draft year, but aint no Brett Hull ..

I did say style of play. Not comparing him to Brett Hull's prolific career. I don't expect him to be a 70 goal scorer.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

I've joined the AV bandwagon. Worst case scenario (aside from him busting, of course) would be AV pressing for time too early (i.e. at age 22 or 23) and us having a Luongo/Schneider (or Thomas/Rask) situation. Nothing wrong with giving Henrik 50 games a year and leaving him well rested for the POs

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I've been bouncing around on who I like, but, the idea of a center with size and upside like Jankowski, followed by another player like Hart in the 2nd round, with boom potential, makes me feel funny in the right way.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Sonier's last mock is up on ESPN: http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...nal-mock-draft

You need Insider to read all the capsules, but I've listed the names below along with what he says about the Rangers' pick.

Edmonton Oilers - Ryan Murray, D, Everett (WHL)

Columbus Blue Jackets - Filip Forsberg, C, Leksand (SWE-2)

Montreal Canadiens - Nail Yakupov, RW, Sarnia (OHL)

New York Islanders - Mathew Dumba, D, Red Deer (WHL)

Toronto Maple Leafs - Griffin Reinhart, D, Edmonton (WHL)

Anaheim Ducks - Mikhail Grigorenko, C, Quebec (QMJHL)

Minnesota Wild - Cody Ceci, D, Ottawa (OHL)

Carolina Hurricanes - Alex Galchenyuk, C, Sarnia (OHL)

Winnipeg Jets - Morgan Rielly, D, Moose Jaw (WHL)

Tampa Bay Lightning - Jacob Trouba, D, U.S. National Team Development Program (USHL)

Washington Capitals (from Colorado) - Teuvo Teravainen, LW, Jokerit Jr. (FIN-Jr.)

Buffalo Sabres - Radek Faksa, C, Kitchener (OHL)

Dallas Stars - Hampus Lindholm, D, Rogle Jr. (SWE-Jr.)

Calgary Flames - Brendan Gaunce, C, Belleville (OHL)

Ottawa Senators - Zemgus Girgensons, C, Dubuque (USHL)

Washington Capitals - Andrei Vasilevski, G, Ufa-2 (RUS-Jr.)

San Jose Sharks - Tomas Hertl, C, Slavia (CZECH)

Chicago Blackhawks - Brady Skjei, U.S. National Team Development Program (USHL)

Tampa Bay Lightning (from Detroit) - Olli Maatta, D, London (OHL)

Philadelphia Flyers - Ludvik Bystrom, D, Modo Jr. (SWE-Jr.)

Buffalo Sabres (from Nashville) - Sebastian Collberg, RW, Frolunda Jr. (SWE-Jr.)

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pontus Aberg, LW, Djurgarden (SWE)

Florida Panthers - Derrick Pouliot, D, Portland (WHL)

Boston Bruins - Thomas Wilson, RW, Plymouth (OHL)

St. Louis Blues - Stefan Matteau, C, U.S. National Team Development Program (USHL)

Vancouver Canucks - Malcolm Subban, G, Belleville (OHL)

Phoenix Coyotes - Scott Laughton, C, Oshawa (OHL)

New York Rangers - Nicolas Kerdiles, LW, U.S. National Team Development Program (USHL)
Kerdiles boasts solid size and strong skating to go along with a great work ethic. A willingness to play Ranger-type hockey makes this USNTDP forward a smart pick. He got better as the season went on and showed high-end character in helping lead his team through a successful season.

New Jersey Devils - Matthew Finn, D, Guelph (OHL)

Los Angeles Kings - Colton Sissons, C, Kelowna (WHL)

If we stay there, I know SSM would be thrilled with Sonier's pick, but I'd rather go with Thrower or Jankowski. Honestly, if it plays out like this, I'd really hope to see Slats move the pick - either for more picks or in a package for a Ryan/Nash.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

LOL he has Yakupov going 3rd overall? Get real...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

For some reason, I want Radek Faksa. I don't know much about him, other than he may be a great quality pick if he were to fall to 28.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
The more mocks I see, the more I think Thrower is our man if we stay at 28.
I really like Thrower, and the Jackman comparisons are pretty spot on (I liked Jackman in 99 as well).

He'd be a very good pick at 28.

He's not huge, but he plays with guts and heart. He's not a guy who leads a defense, but he's the king of guy who leads a team.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
free0717

My list is Bystrom, Jankowsi, Vasilevski, Wilson, Matteau, Bozon

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Am I the only one who REALLY doesn't want us to take Kerdiles?

06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I've been bouncing around on who I like, but, the idea of a center with size and upside like Jankowski, followed by another player like Hart in the 2nd round, with boom potential, makes me feel funny in the right way.
I might be okay with it. I like Hart alot for the 2nd rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I really like Thrower, and the Jackman comparisons are pretty spot on (I liked Jackman in 99 as well).

He'd be a very good pick at 28.

He's not huge, but he plays with guts and heart. He's not a guy who leads a defense, but he's the kind of guy who leads a team.
Thats exactly why he or Laughton will be picked way before we get up there.

Who else is on your radar Edge? Come on, this time of year is your time to shine