HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shirts: Compression vs fitted

Old
06-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Shirts: Compression vs fitted

In the process of upgrading my 14 year old equipment, I'm looking to get a performance shirt or two. (The fact that I've lost 27 pounds since March is also an incentive...)

I have a long trail of ugly free t-shirts I've collected over the years that I've always used for hockey. But I sweat a lot and now most of the t-shirts are really baggy on me.

I've already bought a UA shirt for volleyball and quite like it. It's fitted but not too tight. Stayed absolutely dry the first time I wore it.

So now I want to look at an undershirt specifically for hockey. I definitely want to start with a short sleeve one first.

I'm curious about compression shirts like this

I tried this one on and man is it tight. Certainly looks cool but I'm wondering what it's like to actually play with it. Is it much nicer than a simple fitted shirt that wicks away sweat? Does it really "promote additional muscle support" or is it just about looking all buff? (Assuming you are buff. lol)

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Cowbell232

Personally I really like to wear Nike Dri-Fit Combat shirts. You can get them in fitted, crew (loose), sleeveless, longsleeve etc. I usually pick them up a local Nike Factory Outlet for ~$20 a piece which is much cheaper then comparable UnderArmor too.

Examples:
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...21/pgid-581736
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...35/pgid-434637
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...07/pgid-484567

Old
06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
TUCKER 06

I swear by UA's stuff.

I wear the baggier tshirts/shorts for off-ice workouts and the compression Tshirts under my shoulder pads.

After wearing their stuff, I don't think I could ever wear a regular cotton Tshirt under my gear ever again. It's not about looking ripped, and I dont know so much about the muscle support thing, but I just find it feels fantastic and helps to "wick" away sweat.

I would never, EVER wear one of these shirts at a gym or out for a bike ride, I'd feel like a total d0ush.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've tried a lot of UA type shirts and went back to plain cotton "wife beaters". I can't stand wet t-shirts but the beaters seem fine. Worth a shot maybe before dropping some cash on the UA.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKER 06 View Post
I swear by UA's stuff.

I wear the baggier tshirts/shorts for off-ice workouts and the compression Tshirts under my shoulder pads.

After wearing their stuff, I don't think I could ever wear a regular cotton Tshirt under my gear ever again. It's not about looking ripped, and I dont know so much about the muscle support thing, but I just find it feels fantastic and helps to "wick" away sweat.

I would never, EVER wear one of these shirts at a gym or out for a bike ride, I'd feel like a total d0ush.
That's also part of my concern: Looking like a d0uche in the locker room. lol

But I agree, the compression shirts are not meant for public viewing.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've tried a lot of UA type shirts and went back to plain cotton "wife beaters". I can't stand wet t-shirts but the beaters seem fine. Worth a shot maybe before dropping some cash on the UA.
I hear ya, I always thought that too. But I sweat a lot, even in winter. I was even told my by dentist that I salivate a lot more than most people.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
r3cc0s

if I play shinny and I know that I'll be on the ice alot (i.e. 4 on 4 no subs for an hour and half)

I won't wear shoulder pads nor an undershirt... just wear the jersey and the rink temp takes care of keeping me dry

if I am playing in a game (60 min but only like 23 minutes of it... that's alot of time on the bench of cooling off, warming back up again and the UA compression stuff keeps your muscles warm and your skin pretty dry I'd say for that purpose and also keeps you from getting a staph infection from your gross shoulder pads

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
if I play shinny and I know that I'll be on the ice alot (i.e. 4 on 4 no subs for an hour and half)

I won't wear shoulder pads nor an undershirt... just wear the jersey and the rink temp takes care of keeping me dry

if I am playing in a game (60 min but only like 23 minutes of it... that's alot of time on the bench of cooling off, warming back up again and the UA compression stuff keeps your muscles warm and your skin pretty dry I'd say for that purpose and also keeps you from getting a staph infection from your gross shoulder pads
Staph infections? Does that really happen?

I will say, after trying Coreshorts, I will ALWAYS use compression shorts, especially because of my wonky groin. That's why I'm taking a look at the compression shirts.

Interesting though, I didn't think of it from the perspective of the warming up/cooling down aspect.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I actually just wear my shoulders directly on my chest, no shirt. It's so much cooler this way. I tend to sweat a lot so, this really helps me out a ton.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:46 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I have sensitive skin so I have to wear something under my shoulders. I go with the UA Heat Gear loose fitted long sleeve. They get hot, but being hot on the ice does not really bother me and getting hives from my gear is much worse.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
TrueBlue86

UA is good, no doubt, but a little pricey. you can get a compression shirt specifically made for hockey that has the little grippy things to keep your pads in place like this:
http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...748596.3747975

i recently started buying more and more Nike Dry Fit stuff because the quality is the same as UA (if not better) yet the price is way less. you can find sales on nike stuff, where UA is never on sale...

i basically bought mine as sport chek and it looks identical to this one but it also has the grippy things like the UA shirt
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nike-hoc...sleeve-sr.html

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
That's also part of my concern: Looking like a d0uche in the locker room. lol

But I agree, the compression shirts are not meant for public viewing.
Nobody cares what you wear under your shoulder pads and how you look in that article of clothing.

Now, if you were to show up to the rink already wearing your compression shirt, you'd look like a goof. IMO as long as you aren't wearing one of these shirts to "show off" or try and look cool, you'll be fine.

Whether you decide to go with UA or Nike, I seriously recommend them for hockey.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/farrell-...%20on%20Demand

I hear this shirt helps you grow the flow faster as well.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post

Oh wow, no surprise it's 80% off!

Old
06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
TUCKER 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post

OK forget what I said, you may get made fun of in the locker room for wearing this...

Old
06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I swear by compression shirts, the thinner ones.. since i'm in a tropical country.

I wear the short sleeves for gym, bike, who cares if people are looking.. they're comfortable and keeps my body cool.. another factor is that the mobility is awesome, I'm used to wearing T-shirts with really short sleeves (sometimes even women shirts) because I get annoyed when my tshirt sleeves touches my elbow.. always had this issue since i was a kid.

For ice, I wear long sleeves.. it keeps my muscles warm (kinda useful for older guys, I believe)

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
ShowtimeDynasty
LAK

I have only worn UA compression shirts under my shoulder pads and never give it a second thought when I'm on the ice. Just perfect.

ShowtimeDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:08 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Go undershirt-less. I overheat really easily and it helps. I used to wear an UA HeatGear undershirt but I forgot it one day and I haven't used it since. So much cooler.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:56 PM
650X2

i wear compression shirts under. i get name brand (ua, nike, rbk) at marshalls or tj maxx in thr clearance section normally like 8 bucks i have like 10 of them. they are all normal colors 2 black, green, blue, etc.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
do0glas

my gear chafes a bit where i dont have a shirt covering the skin (elbows).

right now i have a nice fitted shirt, but id like to give some type of under armour style a try as well.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
ponder

I wear a compression shirt and compression pants to prevent chafing, and I like the tight fit so there's no bunching under the gear. I don't even notice them once they're on. Also, I like how my compression shirt has grip on the elbows to prevent elbow pads from sliding about, and the pants have a cup holder and velcro for socks. I imagine fitted would be fine too, but the compression is sort of nice because it doesn't move around or bunch up at all.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:18 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Go undershirt-less. I overheat really easily and it helps. I used to wear an UA HeatGear undershirt but I forgot it one day and I haven't used it since. So much cooler.
Some people have problems with getting rashes, might need to be careful if they have sensitive skins.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:18 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
UA is good, no doubt, but a little pricey. you can get a compression shirt specifically made for hockey that has the little grippy things to keep your pads in place like this:
http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...748596.3747975
I don't know, that one looks a little too 'stylish' and may invite some mockery in the locker room. The hockey specific under armour shirt I have looks like a normal UA long sleeve shirt but has little bubbles running up the arm to keep your gear in place, doesn't seem like they make that type anymore though.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Sureves

Delete

Sureves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:29 AM
SCritical

I like to think that I'm not one of those people who think that physical activity is impossible without full body skins but I do feel like I get less cramps with my compression tights. I prefer no shirt at all, but I like my fitted Bauer shirt with theintegrated neck guard. Keeps me cool and stops my chest and elbow pads from digging in, which gets to me sometimes.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote