HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"With the 20th pick, the Philadelphia Flyers selects..."

Old
06-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
Goalies are a crap shoot, but Subban's athleticism could be trained into something scary.

Subban or a defenseman that falls (both of which could be BPA)

Flyotes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Wilson intrigues me because he PPG'd in 13 playoff games. I actually think this team could use a shot in the arm physically, and he looks like he can play the game pretty well. Another guy who I haven't seen get mentioned going to Philly who I think the Flyers may take if they go the forward route is Ulf Samuelsson's kid Henrik. He's got size/physicality/chippiness/scoring touch.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Shadeslayer813

For the love of god plz let someone else take Wilson before us.

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Pierre Maguire must have been high when he came up with some of those picks. Honestly, there is no way the Flyers reach for Wilson. They're going defenseman. The only way they draft a forward is if Gaunce or Hertl are around when they pick. The stupid that Buttons the Clown seems to have an abundance of must have worn off onto Maguire.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:08 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
Wilson intrigues me because he PPG'd in 13 playoff games.
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that stat. First of all, it's a very small sample size. Secondly, Plymouth played a rather weak Guelph team in the first round and a significantly smaller Kitchener team in the 2nd round. His success came more from out-sizing the opposition than out-skilling them. Against NHL'ers, that's not going to work nearly as well.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:09 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Pierre Maguire must have been high when he came up with some of those picks. Honestly, there is no way the Flyers reach for Wilson. They're going defenseman. The only way they draft a forward is if Gaunce or Hertl are around when they pick. The stupid that Buttons the Clown seems to have an abundance of must have worn off onto Maguire.
Agreed (and I hope the Flyers agree). I would even prefer Laughton to Wilson.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
It's going to be even more awesome when we trade up and draft Wilson.

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:51 AM
PhilaFlyers

I'd be happier with Homer trading the pick than drafting Tom Wilson.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
It's going to be even more awesome when we trade up and draft Wilson.
You have to play it safe.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Any idea whether they like Ceci enough to move up a bit? Or if they do move up, would it be into the top 10 in an attempt to get someone like Dumba?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Any idea whether they like Ceci enough to move up a bit? Or if they do move up, would it be into the top 10 in an attempt to get someone like Dumba?
Unless it is part of a much bigger move, I have trouble seeing the Flyers getting high enough to get Murray, Dumba, Reinhart (the way he's rising on draft boards), or Trouba.

I think it is much more likely that they jump to 15-16 to take whichever of Pouliot, Ceci, Lindholm, Maatta or Koekkoek is left. Sitting at 20, it looks quite possible that all of them are gone.

I think it is likely that one of Bystrom or Finn are left on the board when we pick--because 1) someone will jump at Subban / Vasilevski, 2) Hertl is a bit of a wildcard who could come off the board in the late teens, 3) someone will take either Gaunce or Wilson ahead of us.

I'm not sure all three will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked either.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I've never seen Wilson play and therefore have no opinion on him. I wonder how many of you haters have seen him either. Ahhh the good old mob mentality.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I've never seen Wilson play and therefore have no opinion on him. I wonder how many of you haters have seen him either. Ahhh the good old mob mentality.
Without question, I'd say more than 75% of the people on this board who post about prospects have never seen them play -- at least not more than once. They'll tell you differently, but I'd bet they're lying... unless they foolishly consider highlight tapes sufficient.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Without question, I'd say more than 75% of the people on this board who post about prospects have never seen them play -- at least not more than once. They'll tell you differently, but I'd bet they're lying... unless they foolishly consider highlight tapes sufficient.
I'll be the first to confess that, as a resident of Northern Virgnia, I've seen very little of most of the players in the draft. The highlight clips, the occasional CHL game shown on the NHL Network, the prospects game, and the WJC.

That said, in lieu of becoming a Saturday evening scouting warrior, what do you expect of most fans? Would seeing a player a few times in person (with no particular scouting expertise or experience) really be better than basing an opinion off of the views of multiple professional scouts.

The only alternative is to sit back and simply wait for the draft to happen, and accept that the pick was brilliant after the fact. To be honest, I think most of us _are_ inclined to give the Flyers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to first round selections--they have a strong track record--but that doesn't mean we can't engage in relatively informed speculation ahead of time, does it?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I never saw him play, but I don't need to watch him to know that players who lack offense at the junior level rarely develop offense at the NHL level. There are always the exception to every rule, but I wouldn't risk a first round pick to bet that he is one of the rare exceptions.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I'll be the first to confess that, as a resident of Northern Virgnia, I've seen very little of most of the players in the draft. The highlight clips, the occasional CHL game shown on the NHL Network, the prospects game, and the WJC.

That said, in lieu of becoming a Saturday evening scouting warrior, what do you expect of most fans? Would seeing a player a few times in person (with no particular scouting expertise or experience) really be better than basing an opinion off of the views of multiple professional scouts.

The only alternative is to sit back and simply wait for the draft to happen, and accept that the pick was brilliant after the fact. To be honest, I think most of us _are_ inclined to give the Flyers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to first round selections--they have a strong track record--but that doesn't mean we can't engage in relatively informed speculation ahead of time, does it?
I'm not saying otherwise, as I'm in the same boat you are viewing-wise. There's nothing wrong with liking what you glean about prospects from reading various draft websites and pro scouts. I just think it's important -- and honorable -- for posters who haven't seen the prospects play extensively to preface their opinions with that disclaimer.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
While I agree with the sentiment for the most part, it doesn't always apply. Raising concerns about his offense compared to other drafted players in his league is a legitimate question based on stats alone.

For the record, I've seen him plenty. More than I wanted to this spring, actually.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

Meltzer with a break down of some players who could be sleepers from the Finnish leagues in the later rounds

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635225

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:34 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
While I agree with the sentiment for the most part, it doesn't always apply. Raising concerns about his offense compared to other drafted players in his league is a legitimate question based on stats alone.

For the record, I've seen him plenty. More than I wanted to this spring, actually.
if Wilson was 5'10"/175 pounds and averged .55 PPG this past season would he be currently rated top 20?
I am just a little curious why hes rated so high given his lack of production? are people really enamored with the guys size and possibility that his skill could catch up to his size?
Seems to me a guy like that would be a good guy to grab late in round 2 or 3.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Rolex

The Flyers have had good luck drafting out of the "Q". They also have strong ties with the Finnish prospects due to Sami Kapinen's role over there. Look for them to go in one of those directions.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:01 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

I know that you watch a ton of OHL and there are a handful of others on here who do as well. When people such as yourself or say Larry44 or Sa cyred say something the odds are its accurate. I just find it interresting that for the majority of the year there are 10 or so of us that watch a lot of junior league games and then come draft time there are 300 experts and 290 of them just agree with what everyone else is saying. I'm totally cool with people who have an opinion that doesn't match my own but i can't stand uninformed opinions that are stated boldly and just happen to agree with whatever the crowd is saying.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:06 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I know that you watch a ton of OHL and there are a handful of others on here who do as well. When people such as yourself or say Larry44 or Sa cyred say something the odds are its accurate. I just find it interresting that for the majority of the year there are 10 or so of us that watch a lot of junior league games and then come draft time there are 300 experts and 290 of them just agree with what everyone else is saying. I'm totally cool with people who have an opinion that doesn't match my own but i can't stand uninformed opinions that are stated boldly and just happen to agree with whatever the crowd is saying.
so basically what you're saying is anyone who cant watch junior hockey shouldnt voice their concerns over who to draft?

Old
06-20-2012, 01:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so basically what you're saying is anyone who cant watch junior hockey shouldnt voice their concerns over who to draft?
I didn't get that from his statement, but I do agree to a certain point. It's one thing to comment on stats and ask questions about the style of play, etc. and it's a completely different thing to provide "expert" opinion on how a player reacts during a game without ever having seen said player on the ice.

Reading scouting reports provides a lot of good basic information about every draft-eligible player and can help form an opinion. I personally prefer hearing from someone who has seen the players play, whether that be a fan of the league the player is in or a professional scout.

However, this time of year, self-professed experts come out of the woodwork. I'm sure you see the same thing with players in Manchester.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
I didn't get that from his statement, but I do agree to a certain point. It's one thing to comment on stats and ask questions about the style of play, etc. and it's a completely different thing to provide "expert" opinion on how a player reacts during a game without ever having seen said player on the ice.

Reading scouting reports provides a lot of good basic information about every draft-eligible player and can help form an opinion. I personally prefer hearing from someone who has seen the players play, whether that be a fan of the league the player is in or a professional scout.

However, this time of year, self-professed experts come out of the woodwork. I'm sure you see the same thing with players in Manchester.

Agreed, in the case of Wilson, I can't confess to remembering seeing him play at all. I usually only watch our prospects play, and the Memorial Cup, so when I had a chance I watched Cousins with the Soo, Suellentrop with Oshawa and Mathers at Peterborough, where I saw Koekkoek once or twice early.

Of the draft eligibles, I saw Finn, Ceci, Maatta and Faksa a bit, but not that much. Maatta moreso at the MemCup.

It won't matter to me who they pick, the scouts do a good job of finding good players late in Round 1.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

yeah I probably did read it wrong. I dont claim to be an expert in junior players. I have never been to 1 junior game in my life. I do appreciate insight from people like you on some of these kids that you have seen play along with others here.
Of course people are going to question when they see a junior kid with 9 goals and 16 assists in 47 games rated so highly.
I have never seen the kid play and I am sure most around here havent. But I dont fault people for questioning the ranking of a player like Wilson because many times it comes without explanation.