HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Crazy new Sports bar coming to ByWard Market from MLSE?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2012, 10:48 AM
  #26
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Exactly^
maple leaf sports and entertainment is going to open a huge bar downtown, take biusiness away from already established local bars and you guys are excited?

Where am i?
meh if the other bars want to stay competitive do better. it looks really nice and i'm sure it's not gonna be like a walmart take over were their prices are gonna be sooo much cheaper if they are at all.

as well if you don't live near downtown you may not want to go farther than your local place anyways.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
  #27
bigfatfist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
MLSE is a separate entity from the Maple Leafs. If i go there, i will not feel like i am giving my money to the enemy. Should i cancel my bell and/or rogers plans now too?

If it's a good place to watch the game and entertain myself, I dont care who owns it. It's not like the maple leafs budget of infinity will change based on ottawa earned Real Sports dollars.
In what way are they seperate entities!?!?!?! Tax credits go to the parents, but they still benefit the family. Extra dollars going into MLSE might not make a huge difference to the Leafs - but it's completely valid to think that I would for the Senators group. This was a missed opportunity. In addition to the revenue, it would have been a natural connection to the city (for those of us that don't live all the way out in Kanata).

I'm sure that I'll go (and think that it's really cool). But, easy parking + supporting home grown businesses means that it's unlikely to become my go to spot.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:58 AM
  #28
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
meh if the other bars want to stay competitive do better. it looks really nice and i'm sure it's not gonna be like a walmart take over were their prices are gonna be sooo much cheaper if they are at all.

as well if you don't live near downtown you may not want to go farther than your local place anyways.
Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment

(they are laughing at you right now.)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:59 AM
  #29
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 500
Real Sports is the best bar for sports, LOL at the fools who think they're supporting the Leafs. As Danish said, better cancel your Bell/Rogers subscriptions.

Awesome news, will be there plenty. My spot in Toronto for before Toronto FC games.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
  #30
jordan7hm
Registered User
 
jordan7hm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
If its owned and operated by MLSE I will not support that bar. Senz 4 lyfe (I'm 100% serious)
What a weird response.

Quote:
This was a missed opportunity. In addition to the revenue, it would have been a natural connection to the city (for those of us that don't live all the way out in Kanata).
No it wasn't. Operating a sports bar and operating a professional hockey team are ridiculously different things. Bars in general, and in the market in particular, fail on a pretty regular basis. If MLSE has set up a successful chain, then good on them, but that doesn't mean that the Sens could do the same, or that it would be in their best interests to even attempt it.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
  #31
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Real Sports is the best bar for sports, LOL at the fools who think they're supporting the Leafs. As Danish said, better cancel your Bell/Rogers subscriptions.

Awesome news, will be there plenty. My spot in Toronto for before Toronto FC games.
So you can't cancel your precious bell/rogers, so might as well give Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment(http://www.mlse.com/your_teams/maple_leafs.aspx) more money and hurt the local bars already here?

Wow, some ottawa senators fan.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
  #32
EDDIE20*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
It's hilarious that some won't check this place out because its MLSE. The bar is TO is incredible. They show every game. Most bars in Ottawa show a mix of Sens, Habs and Leafs games anyways. With the exception of Local Heroes, most other sports bars in Ottawa aren't great or are downright sh!tholes (James Street Pub comes the mind - the food is toxic in that place).

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
  #33
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
If its owned and operated by MLSE I will not support that bar. Senz 4 lyfe (I'm 100% serious)
There'll be a certain satisfaction seeing them having to cater to Sens fans in a HUGE way though.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
  #34
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
It's hilarious that some won't check this place out because its MLSE. The bar is TO is incredible. They show every game. Most bars in Ottawa show a mix of Sens, Habs and Leafs games anyways. With the exception of Local Heroes, most other sports bars in Ottawa aren't great or are downright sh!tholes (James Street Pub comes the mind - the food is toxic in that place).
Chris Phillips (he's an ottawa senator) just opened his first bar and has plans to open more in the next few years. But yeah, Screw him! See you guys at this bigger better Maple Leafs place!
I hope darcy tucker is there to autogragh my tucker domi panties.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
  #35
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
So you can't cancel your precious bell/rogers, so might as well give Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment(http://www.mlse.com/your_teams/maple_leafs.aspx) more money and hurt the local bars already here?

Wow, some ottawa senators fan.
Why would I cancel good service? It's not that I can't, it would just be totally stupid. So you don't use Rogers or Bell in a misguided attempt to avoid supporting the Leafs?

I support good bars and Real Sports is better than anything we have, what's wrong with you? Shake your head all you want, I'll be enjoying the Sens games (ones that I'm not attending anyways) at Real Sports so I won't notice.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
  #36
EDDIE20*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Chris Phillips (he's an ottawa senator) just opened his first bar and has plans to open more in the next few years. But yeah, Screw him! See you guys at this bigger better Maple Leafs place!
I hope darcy tucker is there to autogragh my my tucker domi panties.
The RS is conveniently located for those who live downtown (like me). It'll definitely get plenty of business from the crowd on the Hill and whatnot. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
  #37
masterandy
Registered User
 
masterandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
So you can't cancel your precious bell/rogers, so might as well give Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment(http://www.mlse.com/your_teams/maple_leafs.aspx) more money and hurt the local bars already here?

Wow, some ottawa senators fan.
The way I see it, there will be more reason for fans to come down to the Byward Market. Thus more fans will be on the streets hitting up every local bar.

Who cares if it is run by MLSE. If it means more Senators fans down by the market, I am all for it.

I know I for one enjoy watching the games at home when I'm not at the hockey game itself. I am already stoked about this and will definitely be going with friends in the future.

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:14 AM
  #38
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterandy View Post
The way I see it, there will be more reason for fans to come down to the Byward Market. Thus more fans will be on the streets hitting up every local bar.

Who cares if it is run by MLSE. If it means more Senators fans down by the market, I am all for it.

I know I for one enjoy watching the games at home when I'm not at the hockey game itself. I am already stoked about this and will definitely be going with friends in the future.
are you stoked about the Big Rig Brew Pub?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
  #39
masterandy
Registered User
 
masterandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
are you stoked about the Big Rig Brew Pub?
Sorry but I will not spend my evenings watching hockey behind the IKEA. Supporting is one thing and I may drop by from time to time because I live near there but I rather have an exciting atmosphere which RS bar will provide.

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
  #40
hockeyalltheway
Moderator
Get well soon, GMBM.
 
hockeyalltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,189
vCash: 611
If I didn't know any better, I'd say the CEO of MLSE kicked Icelevel's dog or something.

I'm looking forward to checking out. Heard great things about Real Sports.

__________________
hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
  #41
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Icelevel
It won't take away from other bars in fact it will help the market.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
  #42
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
It's hilarious that some won't check this place out because its MLSE. The bar is TO is incredible. They show every game. Most bars in Ottawa show a mix of Sens, Habs and Leafs games anyways. With the exception of Local Heroes, most other sports bars in Ottawa aren't great or are downright sh!tholes (James Street Pub comes the mind - the food is toxic in that place).
I think the Ottawa bar will be just as good as the one in Toronto.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
  #43
jordan7hm
Registered User
 
jordan7hm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
are you stoked about the Big Rig Brew Pub?
It's not a sports bar.

It's a brewpub.

Different establishments designed to serve different markets.

I'm glad Phillips didn't do a sports bar. Ottawa hasn't done great with sports bars in the past. Even Locals is pretty hit or miss. Most game nights they're not exactly packed to capacity.

I really hope this place does well. This is a tough market though.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
  #44
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Icelevel
It won't take away from other bars in fact it will help the market.
I'm sure Mr. Burke and Mr. Phaneuf will be happy to shake your hand as you walk through the door.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:31 AM
  #45
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
It's not a sports bar.

It's a brewpub.

Different establishments designed to serve different markets.

I'm glad Phillips didn't do a sports bar. Ottawa hasn't done great with sports bars in the past. Even Locals is pretty hit or miss. Most game nights they're not exactly packed to capacity.

I really hope this place does well. This is a tough market though.
I can't see this bar have much of a issue it will be a hit how big of a hit thats the only question.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
  #46
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
I'm sure Mr. Burke and Mr. Phaneuf will be happy to shake your hand as you walk through the door.
I don't think it will be a Toronto bar in that sense it will be for Ottawa and maybe there will be some Leafs stuffs but i doubt it will be all Toronto.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:34 AM
  #47
EDDIE20*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
It's not a sports bar.

It's a brewpub.

Different establishments designed to serve different markets.

I'm glad Phillips didn't do a sports bar. Ottawa hasn't done great with sports bars in the past. Even Locals is pretty hit or miss. Most game nights they're not exactly packed to capacity.

I really hope this place does well. This is a tough market though.
Yeah, Phillips' place is a different concept altogether. Sure, there will be plenty of sports in there but he is going for a brewpub, which is damn cool in its own right. Being a huge fan of micro-brewed beer, I'll be checking it out as soon as I can. He hired one of the top brewmasters in the country. That's gonna kick ass.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
  #48
bigfatfist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
What a weird response.



No it wasn't. Operating a sports bar and operating a professional hockey team are ridiculously different things. Bars in general, and in the market in particular, fail on a pretty regular basis. If MLSE has set up a successful chain, then good on them, but that doesn't mean that the Sens could do the same, or that it would be in their best interests to even attempt it.
Sorry? Because there's a chance that it might fail it's therefore not an opportunity? The Senators carry a high debt load - and exploring options to diversify their revenue streams is definitely in their best interests.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:42 AM
  #49
jordan7hm
Registered User
 
jordan7hm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
Sorry? Because there's a chance that it might fail it's therefore not an opportunity? The Senators carry a high debt load - and exploring options to diversify their revenue streams is definitely in their best interests.
Starting new and expensive businesses in industries that are outside your area of expertise is not a good idea, by and large. Especially when those industries offer razor thin margins and extremely high rates of failure.

The question then becomes - is the marketing potential worth the likely net loss you would suffer by operating that type of business. I'm sure that their retail operations are partly justified in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I can't see this bar have much of a issue it will be a hit how big of a hit thats the only question.
Not the first sports bar in Ottawa.

I think it likely will succeed. But seriously, a lot of places fail in the market, and Ottawa doesn't have a great history of successful sports bars. Including in the market. It's not a slam dunk. McLarens, a couple of the Local Heroes (not all of them). Most other places either aren't strictly sports bars, or seem to have pretty short runs.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:48 AM
  #50
EDDIE20*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I think the Ottawa bar will be just as good as the one in Toronto.
Most likely. They are a brand after all. The one thing that concerns me is price though. I checked their website and the beer is pricey, going on average of about $7for domestic draught. Hopefully, they have drink/food specials regularly.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.