HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best player you played against

Old
06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Have played with/against a handful of ex-OHL, QMJHL, Junior A, NCAA and CIS players, all DAMN good. Once played shinny against an ex-Leaf, he was quite a bit older at the time though (50s, maybe even 60s), and I think he was working as a broadcaster (for city tv I think?), but I honestly can't remember his name. I remember him being fairly good though, obviously not in his prime or going particularly hard, but he was certainly better than me and was keeping up fine with a buddy of mine who was a pretty good player (midget AA player).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Have played with/against a handful of ex-OHL, QMJHL, Junior A, NCAA and CIS players, all DAMN good. Once played shinny against an ex-Leaf, he was quite a bit older at the time though (50s, maybe even 60s), and I think he was working as a broadcaster (for city tv I think?), but I honestly can't remember his name. I remember him being fairly good though, obviously not in his prime or going particularly hard, but he was certainly better than me and was keeping up fine with a buddy of mine who was a pretty good player (midget AA player).
Jim McKenny most likely.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:26 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
Jim McKenny most likely.
Good call, looked it up and I'm reasonably sure it was him. It was about 9 years ago, in Toronto, playing shinny at lunch at the outdoor rink across from my highschool, I didn't recognize him but my gym teacher did and let us know that he was a sports reporter for (I think) City TV and an ex-Leaf. We all skated extra hard when we learned he'd played in the NHL, but even in his 50s he still schooled me fairly easily

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:50 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
Not the best player, but I played a pickup in Boston one time where some random guy showed up who was the spitting image of Ron Jeremy. No one knew the guy and we were all wondering if it was actually him.

No one had the guts to ask, though.
Well, he does have an excuse to not be very good on ice. His balance is probably off.

I've not been playing long enough to have played with anyone great. They tend not to show up for D-league games. But I did get to skate on NHL ice before, in my speedskates. It was really nice ice - but not the best I've ever been on.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Frankie Spankie

I played against the Hanson Brothers from Slapshot and Bruins alumni a couple of times in a charity event but they obviously weren't trying. They had guys like Johnny Bucyk, Ken Hodge, Andy Brickley, Pie McKenzie, Lyndon Byers, etc, etc.

As for actually playing against where it wasn't a charity event, one of these two:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=35571

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=21594

I don't really remember who was better because I played with/against both of them when I first started playing hockey in a pick up hour. I do have to say though that even the worst minor leaguers can make the best beer leaguers look terrible.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Ball1374

Played against Pat Kane in squirts when I was a kid. He looked like a #1 overall pick back then, absolutely amazing to watch as a 9 year old, let alone when he played in London or now w/the Hawks

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:12 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Kade Pilton. Guy is a machine.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Kulluminati

Played against Michael Del Zotto when I was younger in a couple of tournaments. Played shinny with this guy (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=55344) and also a bunch of CHL and CIS players.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Rille

Niklas Bäckström is the best but and also Linus Omark,Niklas Hjalmarsson and a bunch who nowadays plays i SEL.

Rille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:05 AM
bp spec

I've played against, and with some great players in for an example TV-Pucken. Some of them play for the Swedish U-17 and U-18 national teams. Also played against some good older guys in SM and div.1.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:09 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Any idea why he's going to Kazakhstan? For the money?

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Any idea why he's going to Kazakhstan? For the money?
Yes, they get paid more than double what they get playing in the British league, even though the British league is better standard. The Kazakh teams have been actively poaching our players, there are already 3 British guys playing in Kazakhstan next year, one of them will be in the Russian VHL.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I played against the Hanson Brothers from Slapshot and Bruins alumni a couple of times in a charity event but they obviously weren't trying. They had guys like Johnny Bucyk, Ken Hodge, Andy Brickley, Pie McKenzie, Lyndon Byers, etc, etc.
The Carlson brothers and Jeff Hanson are pretty awesome players.
BTW, get Jeff Hanson's book if you get a chance; great read.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:16 AM
jw2

Probably anybody who was decent in youth hockey that played for/in NY and Ontario and S Quebec that is 25-28 years old.

Played a lot against Dustin Brown.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

Brandon Saad in pickup hockey when he was like 15 and still ridiculous.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Pog Form

I didn't start playing until I was 16 (about 11 years ago) so by the time I broke into midget house league, all the good players would have already been playing much better hockey, so I never played against any future superstars. I've played in a few charity tournaments with/against some Maple Leafs alumni (with I guess Gary Leeman being the most notable?) but I don't think that counts.

If we're talking actual "competitive" hockey, I'd say the best was probably Rane Carnegie who played five years of major junior then hopped around the minor pro leagues in North America before going over to Europe. Anyway, it was only last year, so I think he was maybe already done with high-level hockey, but he was a sub on one of the teams in my C-level beer league. I think he scored twice against us the one time we played him (we lost 3-1) and he popped like 15 goals in the five games he played overall.

He was by far the best player on the ice in that game, but he took it pretty easy, kind of playing to the level of the rest of the guys, which I thought was cool of him. He was tough as hell to defend and he actually gave me a hard time for slashing his stick a few times. I pleaded my case though and told him it was all I could do to stand a chance and he had a bit of a laugh which was fun.

I didn't realize who he was until afterwards and when I looked into it I learned that his grandfather was the late Herb Carnegie who passed away earlier this year (RIP). If you're not familiar with Mr. Carnegie's story, you should check it out here.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Heh. Anytime you play against anyone with stats on hockeydb, you know they'll absolutely light your team up (unless you play pro).

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Heh. Anytime you play against anyone with stats on hockeydb, you know they'll absolutely light your team up (unless you play pro).
So my 3 teammates who are on hockey db would light your team up? Bearing in mind I play British 4th tier. It doesn't take a lot to get on hockeydb, heck I'm on Elite Prospects.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157845

Old
06-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
So my 3 teammates who are on hockey db would light your team up? Bearing in mind I play British 4th tier. It doesn't take a lot to get on hockeydb, heck I'm on Elite Prospects.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157845
That means you're probably better than what you credit yourself for

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Just saying you don't have to be that good to get on hockeydb, it depends where you play. In general yes people who are on there are good, I'm just being nitpicky

I find hockeydb to be a poor website compared to Elite Prospects anyway.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 06-20-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 01:42 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

48th overall pick of the 2012 WHL bantam draft Matthew Campese in a bantam hockey tourney

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:02 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

My brother who is 10 years younger than me played with Rocco Grimaldi.

We went to his house and his bed room was full of baseball stuff and he said his parents made him play hockey, but he liked baseball a lot more.

I remember when they put him against 15+ year olds and he was still dangling them at 11.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:46 PM
judge301

The year of the lockout one of the radio stations in Edmonton sponsored a team that played in my mens league. Charlie Huddy, Jason Chimera, Ray Whitney, Shawn Bell and Georges Laraque all played for that team. There were a number of others as well I just can't recall them all, Woywitka I think... Funny thing is they didn't win the league, Lost in the finals.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:54 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Ryan Nugent Hopkins, tourny couple years ago

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:52 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
I played against Nathan Gerbe when he was playing for Honey Baked, he was a really skilled player but was extremely mouthy. Was still really small back then, I heard a rumour that if his dad thought he played a bad game, he would make him run 5 Miles (maybe Km) but as far as i know, it's just a rumour. Also played with and against a few people that played OHL. Jordan Foreman was a very good player when I played against him and he was also really mouthy.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote