HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crazy new Sports bar coming to ByWard Market from MLSE?

Old
06-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Section ThirtyOne

vCash: 500
Enjoy paying $10+ for a draft once tax and tip are taken into account.

Section ThirtyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
Meh, chalk it up to entertainment cost if you can afford to. It's a great set up in there, I wouldn't go regularly but I'd go once in a while.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
I cant believe that people wouldnt go because they are owned by MLSE... Who cares who owns it if they open up a great spot to watch the game??

Big Rig isnt a sports bar... Theyve got TV's

If you are looking for value I saw a sign for 3 beers for $12 bucks at Broadway on Preston the other night...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:04 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Do Leaf fans refuse prescription medication on the off-chance it was made by Eugene's company back when he owned it?

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
If its owned and operated by MLSE I will not support that bar. Senz 4 lyfe (I'm 100% serious)
Its gonna be sick who cares who owns it, if you had any idea who the owners were of the majority of bars in ottawa you would be alot more fussy about which ones you would want to support i guarantee you that. Most of them arent supporting a hockey sporting franchise...

I cant wait the Real Sports in Toronto is incredible! This is gonna be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
I cant believe that people wouldnt go because they are owned by MLSE... Who cares who owns it if they open up a great spot to watch the game??

Big Rig isnt a sports bar... Theyve got TV's

If you are looking for value I saw a sign for 3 beers for $12 bucks at Broadway on Preston the other night...
Trust me once this place opens its going to be the end of a few bars downtown.... Blows them away.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section ThirtyOne View Post
Its 6 to 7.50 a draft almost anywhere in the market. Major breweries hold pricing rights on their product it wont be any more expensive.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Those who bring up Rogers and Bell have a good point. Since they bought up the Leafs I've been wanting to cancel all my Rogers service (also because it sucks). One more year on my cell phone contract and I'll head over to wind mobile, virgin or telus. Senz 4 lyfe *****es.

Not like I'd be going to one of these fratboy establishments anyways. Sports should be experience live and if I actually care about a game, I don't want to see it in a room full of distractions paying out of my ass for Molson Canadian.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Its gonna be sick who cares who owns it, if you had any idea who the owners were of the majority of bars in ottawa you would be alot more fussy about which ones you would want to support i guarantee you that. Most of them arent supporting a hockey sporting franchise...

I cant wait the Real Sports in Toronto is incredible! This is gonna be awesome.

Trust me once this place opens its going to be the end of a few bars downtown.... Blows them away.
It won't be the end of a few bars if anything it will help the market.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Those who bring up Rogers and Bell have a good point. Since they bought up the Leafs I've been wanting to cancel all my Rogers service (also because it sucks). One more year on my cell phone contract and I'll head over to wind mobile, virgin or telus. Senz 4 lyfe *****es.
The thing is Bell/Rogers will own most be it tv/radio.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:32 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Its 6 to 7.50 a draft almost anywhere in the market. Major breweries hold pricing rights on their product it wont be any more expensive.
This.

Go to a place like the Heart & Crown for instance. It isn't much cheaper. God only knows what those dance clubs charge for drinks... The market is a tourist trap so it's to be expected that prices might be higher than average.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Flamingo

I'm sure they'll cater to the majority fanbase that shows up. So if Sens fans steer clear, the fears that this will be a Leafs bastion will be self-fulfilling.

It will probably be a healthy mix of coverage of NHL teams with a heavier focus on Sens first, then Leafs and Habs. The clientele will dictate whether or not it's an enjoyable atmosphere for a Sens fans. A lot of Leafs fans in Ottawa are obnoxious.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:07 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
This is going to be a sick place for NFL Sunday's.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
dan1el

It does look a lot like the Real Sports bar across from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
This is going to be a sick place for NFL Sunday's.
Exactly I think they said they run sonething like 90 flat screens and they'll play anything from cricket to soccer, golf, horse racing, NCAA sports, hockey, NFL, MLB, NBA,UFC, boxing,.... whatever you want to watch and the fans dictate what's gonna be on the bug screen.

On the interview this morning they said in Toronto they've had up to 15 different events playing at once and they can hamdle way more and that they are playing what the bar majority wants to watch on the big screen. He also understood that Ottawa hates the leafs.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:22 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
It won't be the end of a few bars if anything it will help the market.
Ummm it will help the market yes but will put other bars out of business, most bars struggle to make a profit to begin with I know for a fact that two of the main sports bars in the market are hurting.

I think Pub 101 is going to take the biggest hit, followed by the honest lawyer.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:28 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Ummm it will help the market yes but will put other bars out of business, most bars struggle to make a profit to begin with I know for a fact that two of the main sports bars in the market are hurting.

I think Pub 101 is going to take the biggest hit, followed by the honest lawyer.
Is Pub 101 still open? Maybe Honest Lawyer will not be affected too much. That place is student central during the winter.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Exactly I think they said they run sonething like 90 flat screens and they'll play anything from cricket to soccer, golf, horse racing, NCAA sports, hockey, NFL, MLB, NBA,UFC, boxing,.... whatever you want to watch and the fans dictate what's gonna be on the bug screen.

On the interview this morning they said in Toronto they've had up to 15 different events playing at once and they can hamdle way more and that they are playing what the bar majority wants to watch on the big screen. He also understood that Ottawa hates the leafs.
The big screen is awesome at Maple Leaf Square is awesome - that's the way to watch a game.

Alfie#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:42 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Is Pub 101 still open? Maybe Honest Lawyer will not be affected too much. That place is student central during the winter.
Pub 101 is doing ok, Molson runs most of its hockey promo's out of there. Honest Lawyer was for sale for a while I think this will the the finishing touch unfortunately. Pub 101 if they hope to stay alive will have to lower prices and or go after the student crowd even more aggressively then they already do. However 101 is owned by parent company York Street Entertainment which has a deal with Molson and owns more bars downtown then any other ownership group. They dont put alot of money into their product several other owners and companies have been taking business pretty steadily by offering a better product. However those were more restaurants and night clubs, I am glad the standard of sports bar is finally going to be raised in downtown Ottawa, it was pretty pathetic considering the size and the amount of available revenue that is out there.

All this is going to do is make the competition get better which is good for us the consumer, prices wont go up in a competitive market when people are fighting for business if anything they will go down.

This is great news for sports fans in Ottawa.

This also wont affect the minor 'local owners' because really downtown there arent any that own a sports bar. This shouldnt affect a product like Big Rig or any other local companies like local heroes because they arent in the same area.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Ohhh Franco

Tough to replicate what theyve done at Maple Leafs Square. It wont be the same...cant be. MLSE's plan is to open them up all over Ontario, grow their brand, increase their profit and to make the Real Sports Bar in Maple Leafs Square the flagship location.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:55 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Tough to replicate what theyve done at Maple Leafs Square. It wont be the same...cant be. MLSE's plan is to open them up all over Ontario, grow their brand, increase their profit and to make the Real Sports Bar in Maple Leafs Square the flagship location.
It won't be the same but i think it will be very close.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
It won't be the same but i think it will be very close.
No, not really.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:59 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
No, not really.
Yes it will it won't be the same but it will be close there not going to open one up that not good it will be good and it will be close to the one in Toronto.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Yes it will it won't be the same but it will be close there not going to open one up that not good it will be good and it will be close to the one in Toronto.
Have you been to the one in Toronto? Its a touch over 25,000 sq feet, has a seating for 1000 + and their big screen is the largest indoor HD screen in North America - 32 sq feet diagonal. They have numerous private lounges and VIP areas. Some even have golf simulators and other toys in them. Its a pretty incredible place. They're not doing the same thing here as they did in Toronto. They're opening up smaller versions with the same type of concept - sports bar meets night life.

The wow factor and location is what really sells it in Toronto. Will it work here? Probably. Have they cheapened their brand a bit in the process? In my opinion, yes. Will MLSE's bottom line benefit from this location plus all the others they open up? Yes. That's what MLSE is all about........

Old
06-20-2012, 03:18 PM
H2O

Here's a similar place in Winnipeg, near the MTS Centre, pretty much the same thing but smaller than the Toronto one. It's still better than any sports bar we have in Ottawa.

http://www.4playsportsbar.com/home

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Here's a similar place in Winnipeg, near the MTS Centre, pretty much the same thing but smaller than the Toronto one. It's still better than any sports bar we have in Ottawa.

http://www.4playsportsbar.com/home
Wish someone from Ottawa would have done the same here...not MLSE.