HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This could be a wide open NHL trade season

Old
06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
LAIslanderFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
And if you are PIT, why trade in the division involving an impact player?
You don't have to. He's a UFA this year.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 07:45 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
You don't have to. He's a UFA this year.
you mean after this upcoming season right? (hint, hint)

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 10:32 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Spector's picks up Staples Newsday article,but gets Staples comments backwards.

Staples writes why the isles won't be in the mix for JayBo,Ballard,Martin and Michalek.But,Spector's reports that Staples lists them as trade possibilities.
Nice fact checking

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/sunda...-june-17-2012/
Arthur Staple reports Islanders GM Garth Snow isn’t expected to trade his first round pick (4th overall), but he is apparently trying hard to land a defenseman for his thin blueline, as only Mark Streit, Travis Harmonic and Andrew MacDonald will be returning next season. A restricted free agent like Montreal’s P.K. Subban might’ve convinced Snow to part with his pick, but sources say the Canadiens won’t part with Subban. Trade possibilities are what Staple considers “veterans playing mediocre hockey on fairly unworkable contracts” including Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester, Pittsburgh’s Zbynyk Michalek and Paul Martin, and Vancouver’s Keith Ballard.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:45 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Spector's picks up Staples Newsday article,but gets Staples comments backwards.

Staples writes why the isles won't be in the mix for JayBo,Ballard,Martin and Michalek.But,Spector's reports that Staples lists them as trade possibilities.
Nice fact checking

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/sunda...-june-17-2012/
Arthur Staple reports Islanders GM Garth Snow isn’t expected to trade his first round pick (4th overall), but he is apparently trying hard to land a defenseman for his thin blueline, as only Mark Streit, Travis Harmonic and Andrew MacDonald will be returning next season. A restricted free agent like Montreal’s P.K. Subban might’ve convinced Snow to part with his pick, but sources say the Canadiens won’t part with Subban. Trade possibilities are what Staple considers “veterans playing mediocre hockey on fairly unworkable contracts” including Calgary’s Jay Bouwmeester, Pittsburgh’s Zbynyk Michalek and Paul Martin, and Vancouver’s Keith Ballard.
If this was remotely true (it's not), then Snow would be wise to make the move At the draft to demonstrate a pulse to the market and show signs of attempting to improve before UFA season opens. Rather, isles will wait for sloppy seconds like the wiz trade (hailing that as some sort of success as he was on the roster for like 30 games).

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:52 AM
19 in a row

Do I read cap geek wrong or do we have a ton of space just to reach the cap floor? Cap geek says we have have $39M committed for 15 players (plus Yashin) and that includes Nino... With the cap at least temporarily at $70M for 2012-13, that means we need to get to $54M cap floor with 23 player, almost $2M average per player for those last 8 spots just to reach the floor. Brock Nelson is the only guy in the system not in those 15 that is over $2M ($2.8M)....Many not included in that 15 with a shot, such as Poulin, Ulstrom, Joensuu, Kabanov are under $1M. If we resign Martin (which seem likely) and Staios they likely won't make above the mark either. Maybe Murray will make a dent if he is our pick and makes the roster. I am curious to see how we get to the cap floor if the CBA is approved at $70M.. do we take dead salary and use creative accounting or make a real deal to bring someone in. Hopefully we finally make a real trade this year but please no more $5M salaries on over the hill players.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=21
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/6/1...on-free-agency

Last edited by 19 in a row: 06-18-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: added links
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 04:23 AM
steveat

Leave it to Wang and Snow to do some creative accounting to reach the cap floor. In Wangs defense...Can the Isles even afford the cap floor? Sure Wang can, but as a business, you as the owner would do anything not to dig into your own personal wealth to fund the business.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Diamonddog01

I notice Ballard is on that list - are Isles fans interested?

What would you offer?

In addition to him, his old partner Bouwmeester is also on there, they could form an effective 1st pairing on the Isle I think.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Do I read cap geek wrong or do we have a ton of space just to reach the cap floor? Cap geek says we have have $39M committed for 15 players (plus Yashin) and that includes Nino... With the cap at least temporarily at $70M for 2012-13, that means we need to get to $54M cap floor with 23 player, almost $2M average per player for those last 8 spots just to reach the floor. Brock Nelson is the only guy in the system not in those 15 that is over $2M ($2.8M)....Many not included in that 15 with a shot, such as Poulin, Ulstrom, Joensuu, Kabanov are under $1M. If we resign Martin (which seem likely) and Staios they likely won't make above the mark either. Maybe Murray will make a dent if he is our pick and makes the roster. I am curious to see how we get to the cap floor if the CBA is approved at $70M.. do we take dead salary and use creative accounting or make a real deal to bring someone in. Hopefully we finally make a real trade this year but please no more $5M salaries on over the hill players.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=21
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/6/1...on-free-agency
Yeah, we'll have to bring in at least one big salary in order to make the floor assuming not much changes with the cap in the new CBA.

Most likely, Snow will do what he's done the past couple summers, make significant offers to legitimate players (Ehrhoff, P. Martin) to try to make the floor. And if he strikes out, take on another team's short term contract problem (Rolston, Wizniewski) to make the floor.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Two trade the Isles will make; 6th rounder for Tim Thomas and 5th rounder for Scott Gomez.

Combined cap hit $12.5 million. Actual dollars: $5 million

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:23 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I notice Ballard is on that list - are Isles fans interested?

What would you offer?

In addition to him, his old partner Bouwmeester is also on there, they could form an effective 1st pairing on the Isle I think.
Read the Newsday NYI article.

Those defenseman are described as playing mediocre hockey, with 'fairly unworkable' contracts.

Staples goes on to say Snow will look for another Wiz situation:a player on a short term deal,his team wanting to move him.I think we are more likely to see Snow trade for Leopold or Murray,both on 1 yr deals.

Regher told the press he's been heavily working the phones,that he wants the Sabres to get bigger/tougher.SJ just signed Stuart to an extension and Murray is thought to be the d-man on his way out.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Two trade the Isles will make; 6th rounder for Tim Thomas and 5th rounder for Scott Gomez.

Chuckles has his hand out,asking the league to give him a piece of revenue sharing in the new cba.I read those checks can be as much as $10m a seasom,for a full share.

I doubt we'll see any obvious cap circumvention tricks,while the revenue sharing issue is still a possibility.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Moosie

Quote:
Regher told the press he's been heavily working the phones,that he wants the Sabres to get bigger/tougher.SJ just signed Stuart to an extension and Murray is thought to be the d-man on his way out.
That's Darcy Regier. Unless Robyn Regehr has taken over.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:44 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
That's Darcy Regier. Unless Robyn Regehr has taken over.
Hey,we made a player with no experience our gm.

Why not the Sabres?

Old
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
boredmale

Quote:
I doubt we'll see any obvious cap circumvention tricks,while the revenue sharing issue is still a possibility.
Islanders don't qualify for revenue sharing because they are considered a big market team

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Islanders don't qualify for revenue sharing because they are considered a big market team
However, that may change with the new CBA.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Most likely, Snow will do what he's done the past couple summers, make significant offers to legitimate players (Ehrhoff, P. Martin) to try to make the floor. And if he strikes out, take on another team's short term contract problem (Rolston, Wizniewski) to make the floor.
Quote:

First player that I thought of when I read Seph's post. I wouldn't be shocked, but I would be pissed.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 12:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
However, that may change with the new CBA.
The old reports on this issue made it seem QUITE LIKELY to change, as Bettman knows (now) that Long Island does not have skyscrapers or subways or Wall St. so it technically is not NYC as the league treats it.

That's NYR's market.

We have a market of 4 million people on two counties for all intents and purposes. SMALL market.

I believe they will fix it.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Wang's one of a few owners, who've been lobbying to change the rules and get a share.

I'd like to think that extra $5m-$10m ,would go towards improving the roster.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ng-may-change/
“We have certainly heard from the Islanders and others over the years as to why that provision may be unfair in their circumstances,” said Daly. ” Revenue sharing is something we have collectively bargained with the union. We have a collective bargaining agreement coming up in a year and a half, and I suspect the revenue sharing model is something that’s going to be looked at closely. There may be changes.”

Old
06-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd like to think that extra $5m-$10m ,would go towards improving the roster.
This could go two ways;

1.) Wang thinks (well this isn't my money) and spends on some decent players.

or

2.) Wang says "oh look, I'm getting free money back" and pockets it.

Which one do you think Wang is more likely to choose?

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:04 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
This could go two ways;

1.) Wang thinks (well this isn't my money) and spends on some decent players.

or

2.) Wang says "oh look, I'm getting free money back" and pockets it.

Which one do you think Wang is more likely to choose?
Wishful thinking on my part but it would be really nice if they stipulated that any money from revenue sharing needs to be used to increase the cap floor.. i.e if they got $5M in rev sharing then cap floor for 2012/13 goes from $54 to $59M (assuming thhe $70M temporary cap stays in place with floor $16M below).

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:27 AM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 7125
Hey, looks like Bobby Ryan is back on the market

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ailable-again/

3 years left on his deal, with an annual cap hit of $5.1 million. With Anaheim having Perry and Getzlaf coming up for FA after this year, they'll be looking to dump some salary.

I know it's likely a pipe dream, but here's one way to get up to the Cap Floor and would give JT a hell of a young wing to play with.

Does Nino, Poulin, and a 1st get it done?

Last edited by IceAce: 06-20-2012 at 09:33 AM.
IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
On NHL Tonight, they said that the Penguins may have a difficult time signing Staal to a new contract. The speculation was that Crosby is up for a new deal, Malkin's hit of $8.7 million and Jame's Neal's hit of $5 million could make it hard to retain Staal.
From a Pens' fan perspective, I don't think there will be an issue at all in re-signing Staal.

Staal currently makes $4 million, so even if his new deal is in the $5.5 to $6 million range, that's only an additional $2 million in cap space the Pens would need to free up. The Pens will move other salaries first before they'll let lack of room under the cap force them to deal Staal.

The only way a deal doesn't get done is if Staal is serious about wanting out, but from everyone involved (Shero, Staal) the comments indicate that's not the case.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
steveat

We are probably going to pick up some bottom feeder free agents with a little gas left in their tanks and sign them for one to two years.

I've already mentioned this, but I would really like to resign Adrian Aucoin at maybe 2.5m one year deal. He hits and is a reliable big guy for our blue line. Maybe a Filip Kuba or a Shane O'brien too to cover the guys we lost. I see Donovan stepping in and Dehaan getting cameo appearances throughout the year.

I think there will be a whole lot more random invites to camp like the previous years. I have a feeling a trade won't go through.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote