HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joe Thornton to the Leafs

Old
06-20-2012, 03:21 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

vCash: 500
Joe Thornton to the Leafs

Joe Thorton for 2012 #5 pick, Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne.

All predicated on Thornton waiving his NMC, of course.

Leafs acquire an elite, veteran 1st-line center, with lots left in him, yielding only a single roster player. Big Joe returns home. The elusive playoff spot is in sight. Kessel wets himself picturing his one-timers off JT's setups. Don Cherry becomes Brian Burke's BFF.

Sharks lose their captain and face of the franchise, but realize maximum return by doing so now. I'm a big fan of Joe, but he'll be 33 next month and is now a 75-point player, not a Hart candidate, with a $7 million cap hit. Nor has he led the team to a Cup final.

Sharks get younger, faster, and cheaper, and fill their anemic prospect pool with quality talent. Gardiner immediately becomes the aging Boyle's heir apparent. Kadri will play in the top-9 next season, and Colborne has a decent shot at making the roster. The #5 pick will yield a blue-chip prospect. Murray will be gone soon, and this move provides flexibility for more trades.

Leafs: add JT, subtract Gardiner

Sharks:
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Clowe-Pavelski-Kadri
Wingels-Colborne-Winnick
Galiardi-Desjardins-whatever

Burns-Boyle
Vlasic-Gardiner
Stuart-Braun/Demers

Flame away!

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

#5, yes
Jake Gardiner, no
Nazem Kadri, yes
Joe Colborne, yes

Out of the assets you mentioned those are the ones I'd be willing to pay for Thornton but you couldn't get them all in one package.

As much as I like him, Thornton is 33 y/o therefore he's not a good fit for Toronto. I wouldn't trade Gardiner alone for Thornton simply because Gardiner could be a Leaf for another decade, Thornton will only be great for another year or two. The other assets I consider mediocre, that's why I'd make them available for Jumbo Joe

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
hockeyball

Not available so it doesn't matter.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Qvist

Don't see how it makes sense for the Leafs to empty the cupboard for a center as old (and downwards-headed) as Thornton.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:29 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Not available so it doesn't matter.
Yup. No point in rosterbating about Thornton.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Inverted

so the leafs empty their prospect cupboard and a top 5 pick for a 33 yr old center? sounds like a trade JFJ would make

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
mooseOAK*

Joe likes the cool lifestyle in California and no one could drag him to Toronto.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
SIDGENO8771

Not a chance

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
HockeyRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
#5, yes
Jake Gardiner, no
Nazem Kadri, yes
Joe Colborne, yes

Out of the assets you mentioned those are the ones I'd be willing to pay for Thornton but you couldn't get them all in one package.

As much as I like him, Thornton is 33 y/o therefore he's not a good fit for Toronto. I wouldn't trade Gardiner alone for Thornton simply because Gardiner could be a Leaf for another decade, Thornton will only be great for another year or two. The other assets I consider mediocre, that's why I'd make them available for Jumbo Joe
gardiner should just be awarded the next 15 norris trophies right now. 15 is a start, we'll go from there.

HockeyRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Leafs give up their three best prospects plus their top pick for a 32 year old Centre whose production has been steadily declining year over year for the last 5 years (minus this past year where he went back up!)

No doubt Joe's a great player but he's not the great player we need. By the time we're seriously contending, he'll be considering retiring.

06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
Joe Thorton for 2012 #5 pick, Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne.

All predicated on Thornton waiving his NMC, of course.

Leafs acquire an elite, veteran 1st-line center, with lots left in him, yielding only a single roster player. Big Joe returns home. The elusive playoff spot is in sight. Kessel wets himself picturing his one-timers off JT's setups. Don Cherry becomes Brian Burke's BFF.

Sharks lose their captain and face of the franchise, but realize maximum return by doing so now. I'm a big fan of Joe, but he'll be 33 next month and is now a 75-point player, not a Hart candidate, with a $7 million cap hit. Nor has he led the team to a Cup final.

Sharks get younger, faster, and cheaper, and fill their anemic prospect pool with quality talent. Gardiner immediately becomes the aging Boyle's heir apparent. Kadri will play in the top-9 next season, and Colborne has a decent shot at making the roster. The #5 pick will yield a blue-chip prospect. Murray will be gone soon, and this move provides flexibility for more trades.

Leafs: add JT, subtract Gardiner

Sharks:
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Clowe-Pavelski-Kadri
Wingels-Colborne-Winnick
Galiardi-Desjardins-whatever

Burns-Boyle
Vlasic-Gardiner
Stuart-Braun/Demers

Flame away!
Holy overpayment Batman. There is no chance that the Leafs would offer that much for a 32 yr old center who is passed his prime and i hate the Leafs.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Crazy Joe Divola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
Leafs acquire an elite, veteran 1st-line center, with lots left in him, yielding only a single roster player.
Which helps San Jose win now how exactly?

Crazy Joe Divola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
questhockey

If your trading Gardiner for a center, your going offer Gardiner + as a centerpiece to go after the likes of a Kopitar type 1C, not Thornton.

Someone younger, faster, better suited for Leafs youth right now, and future.

Last edited by questhockey: 06-22-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: less confusion
questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
HappyGilmourr

so you want a stud young defensmen with number 1 potential, 2 blue chip prospects and another high valued prospect for a 33 year old? yeah I don't think so.

Gardiner looks like he's going to be something special. You may hear the word overrated or unproven with him but if he doesn't have a sophomore slump and he improves even more and proves last year wasn't a fluke he's going to be in the Alex pitrengaleo, Erik Karlsson category of defensmen. Hoping he doesn't regress.

That 5th overall pick is going to be Mikhail grigorenko or Ryan Murray. High value.

Nazem Kadri - recent 7th overall pick. Has high value and could be a very skillful top 6 forward. Likely on the wing.

Joe Colborne - A project centre. Could be a solid second line centre or could be a career AHL player. None the less he's a decent prospect.

This package is probably worth Joe Thornton if he was 26-28 years old. Not 33.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Crazy Joe Divola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
so you want a stud young defensmen with number 1 potential, 2 blue chip prospects and another high valued prospect for a 33 year old? yeah I don't think so.

Gardiner looks like he's going to be something special. You may hear the word overrated or unproven with him but if he doesn't have a sophomore slump and he improves even more and proves last year wasn't a fluke he's going to be in the Alex pitrengaleo, Erik Karlsson category of defensmen. Hoping he doesn't regress.

That 5th overall pick is going to be Mikhail grigorenko or Ryan Murray. High value.

Nazem Kadri - recent 7th overall pick. Has high value and could be a very skillful top 6 forward. Likely on the wing.

Joe Colborne - A project centre. Could be a solid second line centre or could be a career AHL player. None the less he's a decent prospect.

This package is probably worth Joe Thornton if he was 26-28 years old. Not 33.
Let's all just go ahead and slowly back away from this thread. No sudden Movements...Everyone gets out alive.

Crazy Joe Divola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:00 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRX View Post
gardiner should just be awarded the next 15 norris trophies right now. 15 is a start, we'll go from there.
Jokes aside, I really hope the point didn't just fly way over your head. A decade's worth of a top-4 defenseman is much more useful to a rebuilding team than a few years of a forward who's past his prime

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
I don't have a problem discussing Thornton's trade value but I completely understand that the chances of him getting dealt are zero or damn close to it. The OP's package is one I would take for Thornton but the only chance to even get DW to consider moving Thornton is for players that will play and contribute right now and only Gardiner, in that package, would do that but even that isn't totally reliable at this point.

I don't think Toronto has the assets to pull off a trade that would interest DW. They'd want Grabovski, Gunnarsson, and the #5 probably and I don't think anyone that is a Leafs fan will do that.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Don't really see it. We aren't going to utilize our assets, arguable our entire prospect pool especially with those listed, for JT. As great as he is, we aren't in a win now yet we are building towards that.

06-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Leafs03

Lool this better be a joke! I would not even give up Gardiner for Thornton. Why would a rebuilding team want to dump their best prospects for a old c? Think about both team needs before you make proposals like this please.

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Replace Thornton with Getzlaf and would you do that deal?

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Thornton isn't available. He's the money maker, captain, best player and face of the franchise. That and he's finally become good in the playoffs. That's a nice offer but the Sharks aren't trading Joe.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Jokes aside, I really hope the point didn't just fly way over your head. A decade's worth of a top-4 defenseman is much more useful to a rebuilding team than a few years of a forward who's past his prime
I had no problem with any of your arguments until I saw past his prime come up. If you say he's older than you want to give up a lot of assets for, fine. Anyone who has been watching Thornton knows "past his prime" is just flat out wrong. His game has changed from a sheltered, high-scoring, Henrik Sedin type game to being a PPG shutdown center.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:22 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Not available, and if he was, Leafs don't have the pieces. Please stop trying.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
heartsabres*

Why does every leaf proposal have Kadri in it???

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Bobblehead

I think that's more than SJ gave up to acquire JT? If Wilson decides to overall a Shark Team that couldn't get it done the past 5 years, JT is where it should start.... but I don't think the Leafs will have to include Gardiner.....

Schenn, Colborne and 5th overall should be more than enough.... maybe even
Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Colborne and 5th would do for JT and pocket lint.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote