HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joe Thornton to the Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2012, 03:21 PM
  #1
ToursLepantoVienna
Registered User
 
ToursLepantoVienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country:
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Joe Thornton to the Leafs

Joe Thorton for 2012 #5 pick, Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne.

All predicated on Thornton waiving his NMC, of course.

Leafs acquire an elite, veteran 1st-line center, with lots left in him, yielding only a single roster player. Big Joe returns home. The elusive playoff spot is in sight. Kessel wets himself picturing his one-timers off JT's setups. Don Cherry becomes Brian Burke's BFF.

Sharks lose their captain and face of the franchise, but realize maximum return by doing so now. I'm a big fan of Joe, but he'll be 33 next month and is now a 75-point player, not a Hart candidate, with a $7 million cap hit. Nor has he led the team to a Cup final.

Sharks get younger, faster, and cheaper, and fill their anemic prospect pool with quality talent. Gardiner immediately becomes the aging Boyle's heir apparent. Kadri will play in the top-9 next season, and Colborne has a decent shot at making the roster. The #5 pick will yield a blue-chip prospect. Murray will be gone soon, and this move provides flexibility for more trades.

Leafs: add JT, subtract Gardiner

Sharks:
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Clowe-Pavelski-Kadri
Wingels-Colborne-Winnick
Galiardi-Desjardins-whatever

Burns-Boyle
Vlasic-Gardiner
Stuart-Braun/Demers

Flame away!

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
  #2
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,818
vCash: 500
#5, yes
Jake Gardiner, no
Nazem Kadri, yes
Joe Colborne, yes

Out of the assets you mentioned those are the ones I'd be willing to pay for Thornton but you couldn't get them all in one package.

As much as I like him, Thornton is 33 y/o therefore he's not a good fit for Toronto. I wouldn't trade Gardiner alone for Thornton simply because Gardiner could be a Leaf for another decade, Thornton will only be great for another year or two. The other assets I consider mediocre, that's why I'd make them available for Jumbo Joe

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
  #3
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,593
vCash: 500
Not available so it doesn't matter.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:25 PM
  #4
Qvist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 500
Don't see how it makes sense for the Leafs to empty the cupboard for a center as old (and downwards-headed) as Thornton.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:29 PM
  #5
CupfortheSharks
Registered User
 
CupfortheSharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Not available so it doesn't matter.
Yup. No point in rosterbating about Thornton.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:30 PM
  #6
Inverted
Registered User
 
Inverted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
so the leafs empty their prospect cupboard and a top 5 pick for a 33 yr old center? sounds like a trade JFJ would make

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
  #7
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Joe likes the cool lifestyle in California and no one could drag him to Toronto.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
  #8
SIDGENO8771
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Not a chance

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
  #9
HockeyRX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
#5, yes
Jake Gardiner, no
Nazem Kadri, yes
Joe Colborne, yes

Out of the assets you mentioned those are the ones I'd be willing to pay for Thornton but you couldn't get them all in one package.

As much as I like him, Thornton is 33 y/o therefore he's not a good fit for Toronto. I wouldn't trade Gardiner alone for Thornton simply because Gardiner could be a Leaf for another decade, Thornton will only be great for another year or two. The other assets I consider mediocre, that's why I'd make them available for Jumbo Joe
gardiner should just be awarded the next 15 norris trophies right now. 15 is a start, we'll go from there.

HockeyRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:33 PM
  #10
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,380
vCash: 500
Leafs give up their three best prospects plus their top pick for a 32 year old Centre whose production has been steadily declining year over year for the last 5 years (minus this past year where he went back up!)

No doubt Joe's a great player but he's not the great player we need. By the time we're seriously contending, he'll be considering retiring.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
  #11
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
Joe Thorton for 2012 #5 pick, Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, Joe Colborne.

All predicated on Thornton waiving his NMC, of course.

Leafs acquire an elite, veteran 1st-line center, with lots left in him, yielding only a single roster player. Big Joe returns home. The elusive playoff spot is in sight. Kessel wets himself picturing his one-timers off JT's setups. Don Cherry becomes Brian Burke's BFF.

Sharks lose their captain and face of the franchise, but realize maximum return by doing so now. I'm a big fan of Joe, but he'll be 33 next month and is now a 75-point player, not a Hart candidate, with a $7 million cap hit. Nor has he led the team to a Cup final.

Sharks get younger, faster, and cheaper, and fill their anemic prospect pool with quality talent. Gardiner immediately becomes the aging Boyle's heir apparent. Kadri will play in the top-9 next season, and Colborne has a decent shot at making the roster. The #5 pick will yield a blue-chip prospect. Murray will be gone soon, and this move provides flexibility for more trades.

Leafs: add JT, subtract Gardiner

Sharks:
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Clowe-Pavelski-Kadri
Wingels-Colborne-Winnick
Galiardi-Desjardins-whatever

Burns-Boyle
Vlasic-Gardiner
Stuart-Braun/Demers

Flame away!
Holy overpayment Batman. There is no chance that the Leafs would offer that much for a 32 yr old center who is passed his prime and i hate the Leafs.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
  #12
Crazy Joe Divola
Registered User
 
Crazy Joe Divola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToursLepantoVienna View Post
Leafs acquire an elite, veteran 1st-line center, with lots left in him, yielding only a single roster player.
Which helps San Jose win now how exactly?

Crazy Joe Divola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
  #13
questhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
If your trading Gardiner for a center, your going offer Gardiner + as a centerpiece to go after the likes of a Kopitar type 1C, not Thornton.

Someone younger, faster, better suited for Leafs youth right now, and future.


Last edited by questhockey: 06-22-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: less confusion
questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
  #14
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,007
vCash: 500
so you want a stud young defensmen with number 1 potential, 2 blue chip prospects and another high valued prospect for a 33 year old? yeah I don't think so.

Gardiner looks like he's going to be something special. You may hear the word overrated or unproven with him but if he doesn't have a sophomore slump and he improves even more and proves last year wasn't a fluke he's going to be in the Alex pitrengaleo, Erik Karlsson category of defensmen. Hoping he doesn't regress.

That 5th overall pick is going to be Mikhail grigorenko or Ryan Murray. High value.

Nazem Kadri - recent 7th overall pick. Has high value and could be a very skillful top 6 forward. Likely on the wing.

Joe Colborne - A project centre. Could be a solid second line centre or could be a career AHL player. None the less he's a decent prospect.


This package is probably worth Joe Thornton if he was 26-28 years old. Not 33.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:46 PM
  #15
Crazy Joe Divola
Registered User
 
Crazy Joe Divola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
so you want a stud young defensmen with number 1 potential, 2 blue chip prospects and another high valued prospect for a 33 year old? yeah I don't think so.

Gardiner looks like he's going to be something special. You may hear the word overrated or unproven with him but if he doesn't have a sophomore slump and he improves even more and proves last year wasn't a fluke he's going to be in the Alex pitrengaleo, Erik Karlsson category of defensmen. Hoping he doesn't regress.

That 5th overall pick is going to be Mikhail grigorenko or Ryan Murray. High value.

Nazem Kadri - recent 7th overall pick. Has high value and could be a very skillful top 6 forward. Likely on the wing.

Joe Colborne - A project centre. Could be a solid second line centre or could be a career AHL player. None the less he's a decent prospect.


This package is probably worth Joe Thornton if he was 26-28 years old. Not 33.
Let's all just go ahead and slowly back away from this thread. No sudden Movements...Everyone gets out alive.

Crazy Joe Divola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:00 PM
  #16
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRX View Post
gardiner should just be awarded the next 15 norris trophies right now. 15 is a start, we'll go from there.
Jokes aside, I really hope the point didn't just fly way over your head. A decade's worth of a top-4 defenseman is much more useful to a rebuilding team than a few years of a forward who's past his prime

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:01 PM
  #17
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,946
vCash: 2283
I don't have a problem discussing Thornton's trade value but I completely understand that the chances of him getting dealt are zero or damn close to it. The OP's package is one I would take for Thornton but the only chance to even get DW to consider moving Thornton is for players that will play and contribute right now and only Gardiner, in that package, would do that but even that isn't totally reliable at this point.

I don't think Toronto has the assets to pull off a trade that would interest DW. They'd want Grabovski, Gunnarsson, and the #5 probably and I don't think anyone that is a Leafs fan will do that.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
  #18
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,608
vCash: 500
Don't really see it. We aren't going to utilize our assets, arguable our entire prospect pool especially with those listed, for JT. As great as he is, we aren't in a win now yet we are building towards that.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:16 PM
  #19
Leafs03
Registered User
 
Leafs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto On
Country: Albania
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Lool this better be a joke! I would not even give up Gardiner for Thornton. Why would a rebuilding team want to dump their best prospects for a old c? Think about both team needs before you make proposals like this please.

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
  #20
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,220
vCash: 500
Replace Thornton with Getzlaf and would you do that deal?

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
  #21
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,928
vCash: 500
Thornton isn't available. He's the money maker, captain, best player and face of the franchise. That and he's finally become good in the playoffs. That's a nice offer but the Sharks aren't trading Joe.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
  #22
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: N/A
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Jokes aside, I really hope the point didn't just fly way over your head. A decade's worth of a top-4 defenseman is much more useful to a rebuilding team than a few years of a forward who's past his prime
I had no problem with any of your arguments until I saw past his prime come up. If you say he's older than you want to give up a lot of assets for, fine. Anyone who has been watching Thornton knows "past his prime" is just flat out wrong. His game has changed from a sheltered, high-scoring, Henrik Sedin type game to being a PPG shutdown center.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:22 PM
  #23
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow
 
JayP812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 449
Not available, and if he was, Leafs don't have the pieces. Please stop trying.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
  #24
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Why does every leaf proposal have Kadri in it???

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:26 PM
  #25
Bobblehead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
I think that's more than SJ gave up to acquire JT? If Wilson decides to overall a Shark Team that couldn't get it done the past 5 years, JT is where it should start.... but I don't think the Leafs will have to include Gardiner.....

Schenn, Colborne and 5th overall should be more than enough.... maybe even
Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Colborne and 5th would do for JT and pocket lint.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.