HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 part XXX: Summer time, and the living is easy. But news is slow

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Oh man a friend didn't wrap it up and now he's a dad haha. But I'm the godfather so that's kinda cool I guess.
Speaking of pyramid schemes

Old
06-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Can't believe Lebron is going to play through cramps in the NBA finals. So much heart and determination

Old
06-20-2012, 04:49 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

watching press conferences for the NBA finals has made me realize something:

People who don't need glasses, but wear them as a fashion statement bug me. To be clear, I'm talking about clear, untinted eyeglasses, not sunglasses.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 57 GP, 18-28-11 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-20-2012, 05:18 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Yah it does look kind of meh. When you say 3 duds though, I'm not sure what you are referring to. While i wasn't a huge fan of Cars 2 (or Cars) it was still better than 90% of what non-pixar studio's put out and it made a TON of money.

Before that was Toy Story 3 which grossed over a BILLION dollars. It's one of the top-10 biggest earning movies of ALL TIME (8th). It was also nearly universally hailed as the best of the 3 and received an unheard of 99% Rotten Tomatoes score.

Before that was Up, my personal favorite Pixar film. Grossed over 700 million dollars and a 98% rotten tomatoes score. I also consider to have the most ambitious and well written first 10 minutes of any film ever made.
No no no. Toy Story 3 and UP were brilliant. I wasn't talking about those films at all. Cars 2 was better than most non-Pixar animated movies sure, but by far the worst Pixar film IMHO. Get this though. The first Cars movie made just under EIGHT BILLION dollars in merchandising alone. Obviously they were going to sell out and make a sequel, even if it wasn't the best. The other "duds" I was was referring to were Brave (saw it over the weekend. It was pretty meh. Not bad, but definitely not special like Toy Story or Ratatouille. It was pretty much on par with any Dreamworks movie.) and Monsters Inc II. Obviously I haven't seen it, but it might also be pretty "meh". Bring back the magic Pixar!!

Old
06-20-2012, 05:20 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I liked the beginning, it was really touching. The rest was boring though, just like any other cartoon. I like the parts when they develop stories but once those "adventures" start - ugh ...
I like how the kid and the old man essentially murdered Muntz and then didn't speak of it again.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
watching press conferences for the NBA finals has made me realize something:

People who don't need glasses, but wear them as a fashion statement bug me. To be clear, I'm talking about clear, untinted eyeglasses, not sunglasses.
Tell me about it, but it is pretty funny when people try on my prescription glasses and freak out.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
First 10 minutes = hardly any dialog, but there's a "familiar" story which many resonate with many who have lost a close family member.

Up is more of a drama about relationships than an action/adventure flick.

I can hardly think about the start of the film without tearing up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I liked the beginning, it was really touching. The rest was boring though, just like any other cartoon. I like the parts when they develop stories but once those "adventures" start - ugh ...
Yeah see lots of people feel touched/emotional about the start of the movie. I didn't really feel anything but LS mentioned that it may because of feeling familiar if someone lost a close family member or something. So maybe it's that. idk

Old
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Yeah see lots of people feel touched/emotional about the start of the movie. I didn't really feel anything but LS mentioned that it may because of feeling familiar if someone lost a close family member or something. So maybe it's that. idk
It may be a "life experience" thing too. If you haven't had a sibling, parent, aunt/uncle or grandparent, or really good friend, die, it may be hard to identify with. (Let's see, I've lost 4 grands, one great grand, a few great aunts/uncles, couple of cousins, and a handful of close friends.)

(Think of Harry Potter with those creatures that pulled the coaches -- not visible to those who have never seen death.)

Old
06-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Mafoofoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
It may be a "life experience" thing too. If you haven't had a sibling, parent, aunt/uncle or grandparent, or really good friend, die, it may be hard to identify with. (Let's see, I've lost 4 grands, one great grand, a few great aunts/uncles, couple of cousins, and a handful of close friends.)

(Think of Harry Potter with those creatures that pulled the coaches -- not visible to those who have never seen death.)
Gotcha. That makes alot of sense.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

The first 20 minutes of Up was probably the greatest thing Pixar did. The rest of the movie was a bit too childish for my liking. I'm interested in Brave but I haven't heard too many good things about it. I liked Monsters' Inc. It wasn't as good as like Wall-E or The Incredibles, which were amazing, but I definitely wouldn't consider it a dud. Cars 2 looks absolutely horrible. It looks like something Dreamworks made (except HTTYD was pixar quality good).

Old
06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
The first 20 minutes of Up was probably the greatest thing Pixar did. The rest of the movie was a bit too childish for my liking. I'm interested in Brave but I haven't heard too many good things about it. I liked Monsters' Inc. It wasn't as good as like Wall-E or The Incredibles, which were amazing, but I definitely wouldn't consider it a dud. Cars 2 looks absolutely horrible. It looks like something Dreamworks made (except HTTYD was pixar quality good).
Based on a book, AIUI.

Most of the Pixar stories are "original".

Cars 2 == excuse to travel to Europe/around the world. Mindless (not really much morality, kinda), but better than some stories.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:15 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Apparently Pier 29 on fire! - Live video: http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/ktvu-live-news/vFXTT/

Old
06-20-2012, 06:18 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

I didn't watch Brave yet, but it doesn't seem like it could have an emotional or heartfelt scene like Up, Wall-E, or Toy Story 3 did, which might be why RT is giving it a pretty mediocre rating? They love the artsy fartsy and emotional stuff. They gave Hugo a 90something and I thought it was pretty average.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:28 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
Apparently Pier 29 on fire! - Live video: http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/ktvu-live-news/vFXTT/
Looks like they've got it under control now. The Embarcadero must be a mess right now

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
The most impressive part to me is how it deals with a very complicated topic .I personally feel the most touching part of that scene is when they show the two of them in the Dr's office and the wife crying. Without a single line of dialogue you know she just found out she cant have children. That a pretty tough topic for a cartoon/children's movie.

I love the movie mainly because it chooses to deal with difficult topics in a way children can, while maybe not totally understand, at least absorb. The obvious themes early on are about death, loneliness, and the unfairness of life. The later part of of the film is about letting go of anger, finding new joy even late in life, and how caring for someone else can be the most rewarding part of your life. It also attempts to help children understand their elders better, why they are the way they are and what they've had to go through. Those are not topics that generally is presented to kids, and I think that's unfair.

Another film that has some similar messages that not many people have seen was called About Schmidt. Brilliant film, and if you aren't left in tears by the end, you aren't human.

I prefer films that tackle difficult topics and have subtle but powerful messages. Mixing that with a bit of comedy always seems to make it a lot easier to enjoy as well. Groundhogs day and Joe Vs the Volcano are two brilliant old films often overlooked that fall into that category.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:18 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
I didn't watch Brave yet, but it doesn't seem like it could have an emotional or heartfelt scene like Up, Wall-E, or Toy Story 3 did, which might be why RT is giving it a pretty mediocre rating? They love the artsy fartsy and emotional stuff. They gave Hugo a 90something and I thought it was pretty average.
That's because Brave hasn't actually been released yet, but I am a little skeptical (I think it might be a more traditional story). I won't judge it til I've seen it, but if it is only ok, as the 75% on RT implies, and Monsters Inc. II is not good, I could see saying it was three less than stellar movies in a row and for Pixar that is a little sad. Although, I didn't see Cars 2 because I thought the first one was terrible, so maybe it was actually really good

Ratatouille is still their best as far as I'm concerned.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
That's because Brave hasn't actually been released yet, but I am a little skeptical (I think it might be a more traditional story). I won't judge it til I've seen it, but if it is only ok, as the 75% on RT implies, and Monsters Inc. II is not good, I could see saying it was three less than stellar movies in a row and for Pixar that is a little sad. Although, I didn't see Cars 2 because I thought the first one was terrible, so maybe it was actually really good

Cars 2 was better than I expected actually. I have a 2 year old and he LOVES Cars toys, so we got it for him and I finally saw it (first Pixar movie i didn't see in the theater). There is nothing particularly unique about it, it has pretty shallow messages that are pretty mundane.

My favorites are:
Up
Wall-E
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
Toy Story 3

Old
06-20-2012, 07:47 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

My wife really wants to see "Brave" so I guess I will be watching it when it comes out.

I've only seen the first 20 minutes of Up so the whole movie is sad to me. We bought the Blu Ray, didn't get around to watching it for a while, found out it was damaged when we finally did. I still need to get around to watching Toy Story 3 as well.

No interest in the Cars movies or Ratatouille but I love the rest of them.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:03 PM
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot

Quote:
Quote:

I saw Brave at Pixar on Saturday. CZC hit the nail on the head. It is a much more traditional and straightforward plot compared to other Pixar flicks. It has a "Disney" feel to it. Again, not bad, but nothing special. Not Cars 2 bad, but nowhere near Toy Story 3 good. RT has it at 76% right now. I'd say that's pretty accurate. I must say, the short before the movie is pretty great. Probably one of my favorite Pixar shorts. I wouldn't go to see it again, but I would still recommend it. I know people always harp on 3D, but it really works well for animated movies. Definitely worth the extra few bucks.

My Pixar top 5
1) Ratatouille
2) Toy Story 3
3) Nemo
4) UP
5) Incredibles

I didn't love WALL-E. That's right. I said it. It was cute the first time, but not a re-watchable movie for me.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:01 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...land-of-lanai/

Ellison buying Lanai (98% of island)

Guess the $$ he saved in not buying Warriors is going into real estate.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:15 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Owning a Hawaiian island just doesn't seem right

Old
06-20-2012, 09:59 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
I won't judge it til I've seen it, but if it is only ok, as the 75% on RT implies, and Monsters Inc. II is not good, I could see saying it was three less than stellar movies in a row and for Pixar that is a little sad.
I don't have high hopes for Monsters Inc II. Maybe if it was a sequel, but making a prequel of a movie that old just seems like a bad idea. And since it's a prequel, you know nothing is going to happen.

My Top Pixar Movies
1. Toy Story 3
2. The Incredibles
3. Wall-E
4. Ratatouille
5. Up

1-3 are pretty interchangeable though.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:38 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Alright, Nem. The bootleg Godzilla '85 has made it here (sorry for the phone pics):

The quality is actually pretty damned good for an unrestored dvd. Can't tell that it's a bootleg (not sure if it even is one).

No menus whatsoever, but there are chapters that you can jump to so that makes me happy. I feel this was a good purchase.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:19 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Part 2 of 3. I guess the cut at the end of part 1 was intentional.

and @ Slocal: That looks pretty solid. For me though the shipping prices are outrageous, so **** 'em. Someone's eventually gotta come out with a legit release here anyway. Maybe for when the new US movie comes out in the next couple years.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Mafoofoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Cars 2 was better than I expected actually. I have a 2 year old and he LOVES Cars toys, so we got it for him and I finally saw it (first Pixar movie i didn't see in the theater). There is nothing particularly unique about it, it has pretty shallow messages that are pretty mundane.
Not Hot Wheels? What's happened to kids these days.

Closed Thread