HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crazy new Sports bar coming to ByWard Market from MLSE?

Old
06-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Wish someone from Ottawa would have done the same here...not MLSE.
Melnyk should have done something like a Bert's in the Market. More dolled up than the SBP location obviously.

Im excited to check out the Real Sports.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Melnyk should have done something like a Bert's in the Market. More dolled up than the SBP location obviously.

Im excited to check out the Real Sports.
You should check out the real one in Toronto, not the half assed one they're putting up here.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
You should check out the real one in Toronto, not the half assed one they're putting up here.
Half assed is a pretty awesome way to categorize a place that will blow away anything else in the city when it comes to sports bars lol.

We get it, it's not going to be the same...

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
H2O

Pretty good for "half assed":

By the numbers:

Capacity: 476

Big screen TV: 25 feet diagonal

High-def TVs: 99

Beer taps: 78

Beverage options: 187

Part-time staff: 150

Patio seating: 80 to 120

Terrace seating: 30

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:57 PM
bert

Quote:
Its still bigger then anything in Ottawa, it hasnt even been built yet and you're calling it 'half assed'. Its location is awesome in the nicest Condo downtown.

Its going to be like nothing we have here, may not be the size of the Toronto one but it doesnt mean its 'half assed'.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Ohhh Franco

All Im saying is that it's obvious that they're just after the (our) money. They're not putting in the same effort or investment, they're just looking to capitalize and grow their profits. When I first heard they were opening in Ottawa, I figured it'd be part of Lansdowne Live as they'd build from the ground up and do what they did in T.O. - that'd be cool. Not the case.

Regardless, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that MLSE will be profiting off the Byward Market, probably hurting some local Ottawa bar/restaurant owners, all the while giving Leafs fans in our region another reason to puff their chests out and be cocky.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:07 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Here's a similar place in Winnipeg, near the MTS Centre, pretty much the same thing but smaller than the Toronto one. It's still better than any sports bar we have in Ottawa.

http://www.4playsportsbar.com/home
Been there. It's awesome. The whole time I was there, I was thinking: "Why can't we have that in Ottawa?"

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
All Im saying is that it's obvious that they're just after the (our) money. They're not putting in the same effort or investment, they're just looking to capitalize and grow their profits. When I first heard they were opening in Ottawa, I figured it'd be part of Lansdowne Live as they'd build from the ground up and do what they did in T.O. - that'd be cool. Not the case.

Regardless, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that MLSE will be profiting off the Byward Market, probably hurting some local Ottawa bar/restaurant owners, all the while giving Leafs fans in our region another reason to puff their chests out and be cocky.
Then somebody from Ottawa should have stepped up and done something to cater to the high end sports bar market. Nobody has.

Of course they are coming here for the money. Why else would a business open??

Most people going into Real Sports will not know its owned by MLSE as they probably wont care. I also assume the majority of people there will be Sens fans as well.

I dont get the big fuss about them coming here. If the smaller businesses suffer, ya it sucks but thats part of business.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Its still bigger then anything in Ottawa, it hasnt even been built yet and you're calling it 'half assed'. Its location is awesome in the nicest Condo downtown.

Its going to be like nothing we have here, may not be the size of the Toronto one but it doesnt mean its 'half assed'.
Maybe I should blame them for setting the bar so high than?

Old
06-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Then somebody from Ottawa should have stepped up and done something to cater to the high end sports bar market. Nobody has.

Most people going into Real Sports will not know its owned by MLSE as they probably wont care. I also assume the majority of people there will be Sens fans as well.

I dont get the big fuss about them coming here. If the smaller businesses suffer, ya it sucks but thats part of business.
What a horrible attitude. Small business suffers, tough cookies? **** the little guy who cares and contributes to his community. Im all about glitz, glamour and greed!!!

Judging by the thread on here, what I've seen on Facebook, in the Comments of The Citizen article, and from the interview on TGOR this morning, everyone knows who owns it. Pretty sure the healdine today was : "MLSE invasion..."

Its just a matter of who/how many care.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
What a horrible attitude. Small business suffers, tough cookies? **** the little guy who cares and contributes to his community. Im all about glitz, glamour and greed!!!

Judging by the thread on here, what I've seen on Facebook, in the Comments of The Citizen article, and from the interview on TGOR this morning, everyone knows who owns it. Pretty sure the healdine today was : "MLSE invasion..."

Its just a matter of who/how many care.
So we should settle for Sports bars with fuzzy HD and 27-32" tvs?? I said It would have been cool if Melnyk built something along the lines of a Berts. As thats a pretty sweet setup as well. He didnt.

If nobody is going to do anything. Why get all up in arms about somebody bringing something cool to the city that hopefully fans of all teams/ sports will use??

Old
06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
wjhl2009fan

Ohhh Franco
From my understanding the Ottawa one will have vip areas 99 tvs plus the monster tv will it be the same no but its going to be very very good.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
So we should settle for Sports bars with fuzzy HD and 27-32" tvs?? I said It would have been cool if Melnyk built something along the lines of a Berts. As thats a pretty sweet setup as well. He didnt.

If nobody is going to do anything. Why get all up in arms about somebody bringing something cool to the city that hopefully fans of all teams/ sports will use??
And the profits will go to................................................ ................

Old
06-20-2012, 05:50 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

Most may know its Mlse but 90% won't care they will go to the best place and that could be Reel Sports.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
And the profits will go to................................................ ................
It's a corporate entity like any other. Our money will go to SOME company anyways. Might as well make it the one that can give us the best bang for our entertainment buck.

06-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
It's a corporate entity like any other. Our money will go to SOME company anyways. Might as well make it the one that can give us the best bang for our entertainment buck.
No, not really. How many sports bars are chains/franchises looking to set up all over Ontario? I hope their increased profits will allow them to set up shop in other towns too. Kingston, Petorborough, Sudbury!!! Screw all the local entrepreneurs. Real Sports everywhere; right next door to the Kelsey's, Boston Pizza's and Swiss Chalet's.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Here's a similar place in Winnipeg, near the MTS Centre, pretty much the same thing but smaller than the Toronto one. It's still better than any sports bar we have in Ottawa.

http://www.4playsportsbar.com/home
I went to that place when I was in Winnipeg last summer for some playoff games. Pretty nice place as far as hot waitresses and big TVs go. The big asset is its location but its not a place I'd want to spend a whole night at. Pregaming for a Jets game would be ideal. But there's too many douches broing out, the food generally sucks and beer is very pricey. Great selection of beer though, that I will definitely give them.

I've always found the concept of a "sports bar" somewhat odd though. Personally, I've always thought of pubs as places to socialize and these establishments basically promote the exact opposite and just lowest common denominator consumer culture. You go in to get product after product shoved down your throat, attend a sausage fest and throw on a drool bib whilst the only social experience you'll get is with your waitress working for tips and the athletes you're yelling profanities at on TV who can't actually hear you.

But maybe that's just me. I prefer going to dive bars or somewhere I can dance and get a girl's number.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
The people who open the good business?

Old
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
No, not really. How many sports bars are chains/franchises looking to set up all over Ontario? I hope their increased profits will allow them to set up shop in other towns too. Kingston, Petorborough, Sudbury!!! Screw all the local entrepreneurs. Real Sports everywhere; right next door to the Kelsey's, Boston Pizza's and Swiss Chalet's.
Fine, then go to a local bar. No one is forcing you to this new place.

hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
The people who open the good business?
To the mega corporation who only cares about the bottom line.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:07 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Pretty good for "half assed":

By the numbers:

Capacity: 476

Big screen TV: 25 feet diagonal

High-def TVs: 99

Beer taps: 78

Beverage options: 187

Part-time staff: 150

Patio seating: 80 to 120

Terrace seating: 30
78 beers on tap? I hope they have some good micro-brews.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Fine, then go to a local bar. No one is forcing you to this new place.
No one is forcing me. Im just putting my opinion out there. Im not a fan of the faceless, mega corporation...especially in the hospitality/restaurant/food/alcohol/beer/sports industry.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:16 PM
EDDIE20*

If anything, MLSE sees a good business opportunity here. Melnyck and Co. should've cashed in on this kind of idea. I know he has Bert's but a second location might be good too. Not everyone can get to the one at SBP.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
To the mega corporation who only cares about the bottom line.
Thats fine with me. Im there to watch the game. Have a drink and a bite to eat and enjoy myself. I dont need to know the owners of the places I spend my time/money.

It goes to the exact same place as when you go to TO to the "flagship" location. Same people.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
78 beers on tap? I hope they have some good micro-brews.
Probably 78 taps of Bud Lite, Coors Lite, and Canadian.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote