HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Helm signs, $8.5m/4 years

Old
06-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Helm is my absolutely favorite player. This deal is fantastic.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:38 PM
ZetterBurger

This deal by all means is a steal. I think that when you consider Helm is still developing, that he will be better then a player like Brooks Laich in a year or two. Just look at players with similar salary adn the year they were signed...

Brandon Sutter, Burrows, Tyler Kennedy, Frolik, Brouwer, Purcell, Cogliano, Higgins, Little, Korpikoski. All of those players signed 2-4 year deals and they all expire next year or in two years (Sutter, Frolik, Cogs)

If you ask me I would take Helm over every player on that list except maybe Sutter and that would depend on what else the Wings had planned for the roster. Who are some players that compare well to Helm as far as production and what they bring to the table every night? Chris Kelly, Sutter, Ruutu, Bolland, Boyle, Talbot, Laich.

<$2 - Boyle, Talbot
>$2 - Sutter, Helm
>$3 - Kelly, Bolland
<$4.5 - Ruutu, Laich

Most of these players do at least something better than Helm, and some are better now, but would you replace Helm with any of these players and their contracts? I think Helm brings more to the table and has more potential than nearly all of these players. None of them can hold onto the puck like he can or cause havoc in the corners like he can. None of them come lose to being as fast and agile as him and only Boyle, Ruutu, Talbot, and Laich registered more hits. Helm played 68 and they all played about 80 (Ruutu had 72 and hitting is his best attribute).

Long story short, I will take Helm over all of those players for the Red Wings right now and if he wasn't restricted and tested the open market he would be getting north of $3 million. That's a steal in my opinion. We have a guy that could be the best 3rd line cetner in the league as soon as next year and for $2.1, that's special.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
Yea but at least helm won't be 40 years old at the end of this contract
That's happening after he signs his NEXT contract I'm fine with a 4 year term given his age, but would have liked to see him come in at a little less per year in cap hit- I'm with CB that Helm is a borderline 3rd liner, and I think we'd be better off having him center the 4th line. Hope he can stay healthy next year.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post

What should maybe be said, though, is that we may not be the "puck possession" team next season that we have become accustomed to.
I think we weren't the puck possession LAST YEAR that most of us have been accustomed to.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Teams can be good at cycling the puck in the offensive zone, but I think the Red Wings patented puck-possession style is dead, not only on our team, but in the NHL as a whole.
Dead? I don't know about that. Vancouver was 1 game away from winning last season with a style almost carbon copied from the Wings.

As for the Helm deal, this is great news.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:43 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
From Dreger:

More than what I was expecting, but good deal.
Yeah, I was thinking closer to $1.8M, but I won't squirm about a small overpayment. He may even be worth more than $2.1M by the end of the deal.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Yeah, I was thinking closer to $1.8M, but I won't squirm about a small overpayment. He may even be worth more than $2.1M by the end of the deal.
4 years from now if the cap continues to creep upward? Total steal. The first year or two are fair, but after that he's going to be underpaid.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Datsyukian Dekes

Great signing!

Datsyukian Dekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Helmer! Good signing, happy with the contract.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I think we weren't the puck possession LAST YEAR that most of us have been accustomed to.
No, but it wasn't necessarily by choice. I wouldn't be surprised to see a move or two that is clearly in a different direction.

06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
4 years from now if the cap continues to creep upward? Total steal. The first year or two are fair, but after that he's going to be underpaid.
Maybe, but I think that's far from a sure thing. It's a slight overpayment up front to me, which should easily become a fair number by the end simply due to an increasing cap. The last couple yeas could be a steal, depending on just how much Helm continues to develop. Either way, it's a good contract. Nothing to complain about, but I can't call it a steal either.

I like Helm, he's got some great qualities. His speed, his hard work, his forechecking, his ability to play some keepaway. Can sometimes even turn a game around with his explosiveness. I'm a fan, and I'm glad we have him. But he also has little-to-no offensive prowess, can't play the cycle, is pretty shaky in his own zone at 5v5, and generally isn't a great fit as a 3rd-line center for a team that traditionally likes to have some offense on that line. And I think his deficiencies are usually overlooked by most of his fans, which makes him a little over-rated.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

We have four forwards who can pass the puck with any skill and we're about to let one walk.
Replacing Lidstrom isn't a sure thing, either

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
We have four forwards who can pass the puck with any skill and we're about to let one walk.
How many did they have in '08?

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 11:04 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
tell that to Bertuzzi
I would, but he's asleep. And in the penalty box.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:32 AM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
In what way should he be used? He's looked terrible at center and average at best at wing. He's not a very good hockey player and if he isn't crashing and banging he has no use on this team. Abdelkader is basically a poor man's Dan Cleary. If Abdelkdaer and Cleary aren't forechecking hard and laying the body, what should they be doing? They're not skill guys.
I want to like Abby so much and he's close to having an identity in so many skill sets. He's a decent crash'n'bang type of guy, he's got an alright shot, he's vision is good but not great. He's just not good enough in any one capacity. He's pretty invisible out there. It's tough to admit, he's Michigan bred, a good kid and you want to like him but I dunno what he's bringing. He seems like he could be a good guy to put with Helm and another serious energy guy though.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:26 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Oh stop.
Why is there always someone wanting to argue that we got a steal?
Whine Whine Whine Whine WHINE WHINE

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
thought it was interesting to look at Draper's deal after the lock out as the two are compared a lot.

Draper 4 years 8.234 = 2.058
Helm 4 years 8.5 = 2.125

Not that it means anything but thought it could be interesting.

Curious if you also look at Maltby and compare him to Abdelkader.
Maltby 4 years 6.062 = 1.515 signed before the lockout.
Abdelkader 4 years ? = ?
The Draper deal was made after his Selke Trophy win and he got 2.8 million per year for 4 years. It was before the lockout. Then after the 24% drop, his salary and the caphit was 2.128.

This was the year when he wanted to go for free agency for something like 2 minutes and then signed.

Quote:
After reports that a deal had been made Tuesday night via sportsnet.ca, Kris Draper called a local radio station Wednesday afternoon to disprove that statement. But it is now official: Kris Draper has signed a four-year, $11.2 million dollar contract with the Wings. And to cement his status as part of the inner-core of the team and a potential future captain, the contract includes a no-trade clause that will keep Draper, 33, in Hockeytown through his 37th birthday. The Wings acquired Draper from the Winnipeg Jets in 1993 for one dollar. Draper's past three seasons for the Wings have produced 30, 35, and 40 point season totals, all career years. This past season, Draper had 24 goals and 16 assists (thus 40 points), and won the Selke Trophy as the NHL's top defensive forward.

News of the deal is relief to Wings fans that Draper will not take a career-season and jump boats. In 2001, after a career-season of 27 goals and 30 assists, Martin Lapointe signed a blockbuster contract with the Boston Bruins. And similar to Draper, Lapointe was considered by many to be the Wings' next captain. Still, it was hard to think of Draper ever leaving the Wings. Publicly, Kris has said he didn't want to leave Detroit. And the Wings expressed similar views. So, 15 minutes before midnight Wednesday, Draper got the call that confirmed the deal was done and he would be staying with the Wings. The deal was inked at approximately 11:40 PM Wednesday night. Draper earned $1.475 million last season, and will make $2.8 million each of the next four seasons, with the possibility for performance bonuses.

Draper comments on the deal:
"I'm just thrilled. This is what I really wanted. It was an interesting process but I signed a four-year deal with the team I really wanted to stay with. [the no-trade clause] was big. I've played 15 years [1993 through 2008] with the same team, the no-trade clause means a lot to me. That's why I wanted to get this done before testing free agency."

General Manager Ken Holland's feelings on the deal:
"We are all very pleased to have Kris signed for the next four seasons. He has been a vital part of this teams' success over the years and having him back will help our club remain competitive for seasons to come."

And for those north of the border, Happy Canada Day! Remaining Players to Sign: Brendan Shanahan Mathieu Schneider Chris Chelios Boyd Devereaux Mathieu Dandenault Jiri Fischer Steve Yzerman Jason Williams Pavel Datsyuk

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Henkka

BTW; Darren Helm had the best ratio in drawing penalties minus taken penalties in the whole league with Jeff Skinner. Without Helm, we see a lot less power-play.

TOP5
Penalties drawn-taken per ice-time:

1. Darren Helm DET, drawn 2.1 - taken 0.4 = 1.7
2. Jeff Skinner CAR, drawn 2.5 - taken 0.8 = 1.7
3. Dustin Brown LAK, drawn 2.2 - taken 0.9 = 1.3
4. Rick Nash CBJ, drawn 1.9 - taken 0.6 = 1.3
5. Tommy Wingels SJS, taken 1.6 - taken 0.3 = 1.3

Wings penalty-drawing Top3:

1. Helm 2.1
2. Abdelkader 1.5
3. Datsyuk 1.0
------------
4. others 0.7 or less

What is interesting, Nicklas Lidström draw only one penalty at last season. The opponent's really let his do his job in peace.

Last edited by Henkka: 06-20-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old
06-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
This deal by all means is a steal. I think that when you consider Helm is still developing, that he will be better then a player like Brooks Laich in a year or two. Just look at players with similar salary adn the year they were signed...

Brandon Sutter, Burrows, Tyler Kennedy, Frolik, Brouwer, Purcell, Cogliano, Higgins, Little, Korpikoski. All of those players signed 2-4 year deals and they all expire next year or in two years (Sutter, Frolik, Cogs)

If you ask me I would take Helm over every player on that list except maybe Sutter and that would depend on what else the Wings had planned for the roster. Who are some players that compare well to Helm as far as production and what they bring to the table every night? Chris Kelly, Sutter, Ruutu, Bolland, Boyle, Talbot, Laich.

<$2 - Boyle, Talbot
>$2 - Sutter, Helm
>$3 - Kelly, Bolland
<$4.5 - Ruutu, Laich

Most of these players do at least something better than Helm, and some are better now, but would you replace Helm with any of these players and their contracts? I think Helm brings more to the table and has more potential than nearly all of these players. None of them can hold onto the puck like he can or cause havoc in the corners like he can. None of them come lose to being as fast and agile as him and only Boyle, Ruutu, Talbot, and Laich registered more hits. Helm played 68 and they all played about 80 (Ruutu had 72 and hitting is his best attribute).

Long story short, I will take Helm over all of those players for the Red Wings right now and if he wasn't restricted and tested the open market he would be getting north of $3 million. That's a steal in my opinion. We have a guy that could be the best 3rd line cetner in the league as soon as next year and for $2.1, that's special.
Helm has a higher cap hit than Burrows this year I'm a fan, too. But c'mon.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Foxs Thumbs View Post
Was it something like: "put Helm with those freaking Sedin's and he scores 30 goals for you every year."

Old
06-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Kiddington

Great deal. No complaints.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
What should maybe be said, though, is that we may not be the "puck possession" team next season that we have become accustomed to.
My thoughts exactly. The dynamic of this team is changing. There are 29 other teams that play a "puck possession" style now. This being our specialty is highly overrated.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Foxs Thumbs View Post
Burrows has one year left on that deal. He gets +3.5 next year guaranteed.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote