HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Shea weber/NHL awards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2012, 07:20 PM
  #1
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
Shea weber/NHL awards

First off I am just venting a little bit. But all it took was five mins of NHL awards for me to turn that crap off.
How has shea not won a Norris yet?? Oh yeah!! Because he plays on nashville!! He is ten times better than karlsson DEFENSively. The Norris is for best defenseman not best offenseman correct??

Hideous!

If weber played on Toronto, Detroit, new York, Chicago, etc etc etc. He would have probably two or three Norris trophies by now.
Same goes for rinne with the vezina, poile with gm, trotz with jack Adams,

Just brutal, maybe it's not because guys like weber don't think they will win a cup here, but maybe he wants out because he will never get the recognition he gets in a Nashville market in the NHL. Makes me sick, awards should go to best player, not good one from big market.

Props though to rinne for signing on for seven years, he is a team player that doesn't care about self recognition and he is easily my favorite predator if or when weber leaves.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
  #2
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,755
vCash: 500
I could've lived with it, if it was Chara ... this awards show has become a popularity contest ... if you're not in a big market ... you've got zero chance of winning any kind of award ... and the closeness of the vote (12 votes according to Preds Beat Writer Josh Cooper) ... oh & btw **** Nickelback

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:51 PM
  #3
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
First off I am just venting a little bit. But all it took was five mins of NHL awards for me to turn that crap off.
How has shea not won a Norris yet?? Oh yeah!! Because he plays on nashville!! He is ten times better than karlsson DEFENSively. The Norris is for best defenseman not best offenseman correct??

Hideous!

If weber played on Toronto, Detroit, new York, Chicago, etc etc etc. He would have probably two or three Norris trophies by now.
Same goes for rinne with the vezina, poile with gm, trotz with jack Adams,

Just brutal, maybe it's not because guys like weber don't think they will win a cup here, but maybe he wants out because he will never get the recognition he gets in a Nashville market in the NHL. Makes me sick, awards should go to best player, not good one from big market.

Props though to rinne for signing on for seven years, he is a team player that doesn't care about self recognition and he is easily my favorite predator if or when weber leaves.

Agreed but we know he's better.

Ottawa is not a huge market but TSN pimps guys that play on Canadian teams. Remember Phaneuf's hype and the predictions of 5 to 7 Norris trophies. Weber would be pimped to the extreme if he played in Canada.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:57 PM
  #4
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
At least we won't have to add a 'Norris winner' bonus into his contract...hoping that there will be one.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:02 PM
  #5
INDhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Mike Fisher won the NHL Foundation Award and having played for Ottawa no doubt helped but he won it as a predator and we will take a win.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:41 PM
  #6
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 7,381
vCash: 500
Robbed. Karlsson is a great offensive d-man, but Weber is more complete.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
  #7
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 535
Wings fan who agrees that Weber was robbed. I really hate that the Norris seems to take nothing but offense into account.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
  #8
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,049
vCash: 500
2 years in a row Weber was robbed....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:43 PM
  #9
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 30,880
vCash: 500
This was an absolute joke. All of the other losses--fine, no problem--but this is two years in a row that he got completely screwed.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
  #10
brah
Registered User
 
brah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
lolNHLAWARDS

brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:31 AM
  #11
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
This is a joke.


I'm so sick of our players/team getting robbed or screwed over. We had 4 players/GM there and couldn't even get one interviewed on the red carpet beforehand.


The only awards we've won as a team is one for community service and one for being freaking injured.


Congratulations to Mike Fisher for his award.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:20 AM
  #12
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
Exactly! And the NHL is so bull headed that they want to expand into smaller American markets, but yet they give them zero recognition at things like this stupid award show. How can small markets be competitive because if we as fans are sick of this, imagine how guys like suter and weber feel?? Think they want to stay somewhere they never get awards or even interviewed?? Getting real old fast.

May as well next year just say only big market teams players can come to awards because they are only ones that can win anything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
This is a joke.


I'm so sick of our players/team getting robbed or screwed over. We had 4 players/GM there and couldn't even get one interviewed on the red carpet beforehand.


The only awards we've won as a team is one for community service and one for being freaking injured.


Congratulations to Mike Fisher for his award.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:38 AM
  #13
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,310
vCash: 50
the problem isn't the league itself but rather who the league allows to determine the award winners.

the hockey writers who decide the awards probably rarely if ever see the Preds and that has to influence many of them. I wonder how many of the voters are based in canada or the northeast? probably 80-90%, if i had to guess....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:37 AM
  #14
Shea Weber
Registered User
 
Shea Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Karlsson winning the Norris is a joke.

What little I saw on the entire show, it was absolutely brutal. Who hosted last year? I remember it being funny....this year was just terrible.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
  #15
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
I thoght Jay Mohr, and actual comedian and hockey fan hosted. Kinda wish Cam from Modern Family hosted. He and the shanaban videos were the only thing kinda funny

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM
  #16
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 42,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the problem isn't the league itself but rather who the league allows to determine the award winners.

the hockey writers who decide the awards probably rarely if ever see the Preds and that has to influence many of them. I wonder how many of the voters are based in canada or the northeast? probably 80-90%, if i had to guess....
Two things need to happen if the NHL actually takes these awards seriously (all indications from the production they have presented the past two years says the awards do not matter): 1) a Bobby Orr Trophy needs to be created to present to the player who leads the league in points by a defenseman, and 2) the GMs and their scouting teams need to be the ones who vote on the awards rather than hockey writers. They are too heavily concentrated in one area of the continent, and they are too busy writing about the teams they follow to actually be able to cast an objective vote.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:09 PM
  #17
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Getting upset over a popularity contest vote is laughable.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:18 PM
  #18
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,795
vCash: 500
The only award that matters is the Stanley cup. No point getting riled up from something like this.

Everyone can agree that Weber, amongst others, are more complete than Karlsson, but to be the devils advocate, he had 25 more points than anyone else. 25! That's really special.

They need to have an open bar or something for the athletes. Everyone is just so tight-lipped and nervous. Maybe some booze would help make things more interesting.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
  #19
Predarat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
The only award that matters is the Stanley cup. No point getting riled up from something like this.

Everyone can agree that Weber, amongst others, are more complete than Karlsson, but to be the devils advocate, he had 25 more points than anyone else. 25! That's really special.

They need to have an open bar or something for the athletes. Everyone is just so tight-lipped and nervous. Maybe some booze would help make things more interesting.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 PM
  #20
Machinehead
Richards Supporter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,390
vCash: 500
I was upset with pretty much every award except MVP and Vezina

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
  #21
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Robbed. Karlsson is a great offensive d-man, but Weber is more complete.
Yes, I agree.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:32 PM
  #22
NshPredFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the problem isn't the league itself but rather who the league allows to determine the award winners.

the hockey writers who decide the awards probably rarely if ever see the Preds and that has to influence many of them. I wonder how many of the voters are based in canada or the northeast? probably 80-90%, if i had to guess....
You are exactly right. The writers choosing the winners is never going to be fair. They all have their favorites, they all get wrapped up in the big market teams and are therefore biased against not only the Preds but every other smaller market team. Someone like Malkin playing for the Preds they might not ignore because everyone loves offensive greatness but a unassuming dman like Shea is playing here is much easier to ignore, no matter how great of a player he is.

NshPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:13 AM
  #23
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Whatever you, spare yourself the adoration threads going on over Karlsson on the main NHL board. All kinds of belittling of any contrary opinion to his winning ad nauseum. ridiculously over the top.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
  #24
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 42,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
Whatever you, spare yourself the adoration threads going on over Karlsson on the main NHL board. All kinds of belittling of any contrary opinion to his winning ad nauseum. ridiculously over the top.
If you find that you can't ignore opinionated people who lack the ability to back it up with anything more than "you butthurt?", some stupid meme, or some other crap that lacks substance then avoiding the neutral forums is sound advice. Sometimes I wish I could, but I guess at least I can delete some of the posts

The idea that Karlsson is a better defenseman than Weber because he had what? 25 more assists? It's laughable. Karlsson started 57.1% of his shifts in the offensive zone, but ended 50% of them there. Weber started 44.6% of his shifts in the offensive zone, but ended 47% of them there. If people are going to vote on a defenseman based on stats you would think that stat, penalty kill time, hits, blocked shot, and giveaways would play into it (all categories where Weber clearly is the better player by far), but I guess points are always going to be sexier.

Just don't say that in one of those neutral threads or you'll be called some silly name that is hugely popular on HF Boards for the next six months.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:44 AM
  #25
Bongo
Registered User
 
Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
If you exclude the Nobel Prize and the Pullitzers, all award shows are bogus. I learned this when Star Wars got nominated for Best Picture.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.