HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DousedInOil's 5th Annual Draft Ranking (AKA "Official Draft Thread: Part VIII")

View Poll Results: Who should the Oilers choose with their 2nd round pick?
Ludvig Bystrom 4 2.80%
Jordan Schmaltz 1 0.70%
Dalton Thrower 31 21.68%
Ville Pokka 1 0.70%
Stefan Matteau 0 0%
Tanner Pearson 2 1.40%
Jarrod Maidens 1 0.70%
Daniil Zharkov 0 0%
Tom Wilson 14 9.79%
Colton Sissons 2 1.40%
Henrik Samuelsson 62 43.36%
Scott Laughton 6 4.20%
Scott Komaschuk 0 0%
Cristoval Nieves 0 0%
Tim Bozon 2 1.40%
Malcolm Subban 13 9.09%
Oscar Dansk 4 2.80%
Other - List below in comments 0 0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
  #876
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss
 
runeeres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Yeah, and it winds up being BY FAR the most accurate list every year.
Fair enough, but a monkey could do that. It's not like he deserves credit for adding and dividing.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:40 PM
  #877
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
Fair enough, but a monkey could do that. It's not like he deserves credit for adding and dividing.
Yes a monkey could do it, but it doesn't mean his list that is made up of NHL scouts means nothing. His list is one of the best out there. Maybe he doesn't deserve credit for what he tells us, but he does deserve credit for being able to get this information and talking to 10 different guys about 60+ different players.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:16 PM
  #878
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
McKenzie has nothing. He's just crunching numbers selected scouts give him.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. McKenzie may not scout the players personally but he uses the information he gets from numerous scouts to produce his list which ends up being pretty accurate.
It gives us fans a fair idea as to where teams generally have players pegged.
You just need to compare McKenzie's final rankings to what actually happened on draft day to realize his lists are pretty good.
Incidently Grigorenko appears to have dropped on many lists not just McKenzie's.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:09 PM
  #879
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
Fair enough, but a monkey could do that. It's not like he deserves credit for adding and dividing.
A monkey couldn't get ten current NHL scouts to give him detailed lists to go off of.

Plus, scout selection. THN does the same basic thing IIRC, and McKenzie is still more accurate (maybe that's their top prospect rankings where THN consults scouts from each team, I could be mixed up there).

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:13 PM
  #880
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 500
The only thing I don't like about his lists are how it just simply takes averages. Their are lots of love/hate types of players and it doesn't accurately incorporate this. I could see Mikhail Grigorenko being top 5 on some teams lists but ranked outside the first round by others. All it takes is one team to love a guy and he's significantly higher than the average ranking.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:46 PM
  #881
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
The only thing I don't like about his lists are how it just simply takes averages. Their are lots of love/hate types of players and it doesn't accurately incorporate this. I could see Mikhail Grigorenko being top 5 on some teams lists but ranked outside the first round by others. All it takes is one team to love a guy and he's significantly higher than the average ranking.
It's not as if he just publishes lists.

There's an article and a segment on TSN where he talks about what the scouts are saying about each individual player, and descrepincies between scouts are always referenced.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:24 AM
  #882
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
It's not as if he just publishes lists.

There's an article and a segment on TSN where he talks about what the scouts are saying about each individual player, and descrepincies between scouts are always referenced.
This has slipped into pure comedy genius. Internet posters and youtube 'scouts' questioning Bob McKenzie's draft list. A true insider with unparalleled trusted direct access to real live NHL management type making real life draft decisions, and this board has people who know better or quibble over his ranking.

Pure comedy genius.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:44 AM
  #883
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
This has slipped into pure comedy genius. Internet posters and youtube 'scouts' questioning Bob McKenzie's draft list. A true insider with unparalleled trusted direct access to real live NHL management type making real life draft decisions, and this board has people who know better or quibble over his ranking.

Pure comedy genius.
It's not like I'm criticizing his information or knowledge. I'm just saying that taking an average in anything isn't statistically accurate. Averages aren't that great and it would be nice if he incorporated variance or ranges.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:49 AM
  #884
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
It's not like I'm criticizing his information or knowledge. I'm just saying that taking an average in anything isn't statistically accurate. Averages aren't that great and it would be nice if he incorporated variance or ranges.
Clearly averages are "that great", because his list virtually dominates every other (professional or not) every single year.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:40 AM
  #885
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
Fair enough, but a monkey could do that. It's not like he deserves credit for adding and dividing.
He doesn't ever claim credit though. He always credits the scouts for doing the research and actually watching and evaluating the talent.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:19 AM
  #886
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss
 
runeeres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
He doesn't ever claim credit though. He always credits the scouts for doing the research and actually watching and evaluating the talent.
Absolutely, it's just that many people don't know that. At least that's the impression I get from reading these boards. Anyway, no big deal. I'm just surly in anticipation of hearing "from the Everett Silvertips..."

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:12 AM
  #887
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeeres View Post
Absolutely, it's just that many people don't know that. At least that's the impression I get from reading these boards. Anyway, no big deal. I'm just surly in anticipation of hearing "from the Everett Silvertips..."
I don't know that this is true, because it is brought up a lot when McKenzie's ratings come out. He states it on TV and in the articles. We even talked about how 9 of 10 scouts that McKenzie interviewed had Yak at one last time and 8 of 10 this time.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:15 PM
  #888
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,987
vCash: 500
Anyone knowing this will be streamed online live?
I assume TSN will, but don't they only accommodate Canadian IPs?
firstrowsports or chanfeed?

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
  #889
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Is it weird that I'm getting choked up watching this Radek Faksa special on TSN?

He moved out on his own at age 11 to play hockey (for 6 years) and was tearing up when talking about his dream to play in the NHL for his single mom.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:22 PM
  #890
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Is it weird that I'm getting choked up watching this Radek Faksa special on TSN?

He moved out on his own at age 11 to play hockey (for 6 years) and was tearing up when talking about his dream to play in the NHL for his single mom.
And his favorite team is the Edmonton oilers. I would love to grab him in the 11-15 range if we can somehow get the pick. Carolina seems almost destined to grab him though.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.