HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues...part zwei

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
h22prelude93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
damn your fast.......
What can I say...great minds think alike.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:26 PM
ManyIdeas

I like the steen/mac/tank line. Lead and teach by example. That and steen has a rocket of a shot

Old
06-20-2012, 02:41 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
I like the steen/mac/tank line. Lead and teach by example. That and steen has a rocket of a shot
An all-lefty line does kind of make sense when you figure that's what Tarasenko was used to playing on with Enlund, and Lehterä while doing so well in Novosibirsk. That should be a very quick and skilled line. Also, still looking forward to seeing him on a Perron-Bergy line at some point.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:51 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Using your logic, Vancouver and Pheonix folded up to the pressure when they lost to the Kings 4 games -1 and Detroit folded when Nashville beat them 4 games - 1. Out of 30 teams there is only going to be one winner. 8 teams in the league advanced to the second round. What does that make the other 22 teams? The Kings steam rolled their way to the cup. In your book if that makes the Blues players a bunch of losers/chokers then so be it. I'm excitied about where this Blues team is now and where it is headed.
Using my logic? Wrong again with your assumptions of me. I'm happy with what they achieved this season, but that doesn't mean I can't admit that they crumbled against LA. Where did I say that they were losers/chokers? You're implying that I don't think they'll learn from that series...Which isn't the case.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:04 PM
BlueDream

It's stupid to get into line combos right now. What if Armstrong has something up his sleeve? D'Agostini is not guaranteed a 1st line LW spot, and Armstrong has also indicated he might target a #3 center in free agency. So there's still lots of time for things to change. I would bet that is not the lineup we see in early October.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:00 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
It's stupid to get into line combos right now. What if Armstrong has something up his sleeve? D'Agostini is not guaranteed a 1st line LW spot, and Armstrong has also indicated he might target a #3 center in free agency. So there's still lots of time for things to change. I would bet that is not the lineup we see in early October.
So what if Armstrong has something up his sleeve? It's all for fun. Do you really think we're all going to wait to see if changes are made before we start speculating? Besides Armstrong has made it pretty clear that his main agenda now is finding a partner for Pietro, and from other comments including Hitchcock's from today it sounds like they feel we may have our three top 9 centers already in the system. All we know is JR talked with Hitchcock and those are the latest rough indications that he's given. Obviously it is nothing concrete, and you're probably right that those won't be the opening night lines, but it's still fun to speculate.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Boy, from that article it really sounds like the Blues are planning on Schwartz start in peoria

Old
06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
Boy, from that article it really sounds like the Blues are planning on Schwartz start in peoria
Right now, he's 10th in the top 9 and he has no business on a 4th line. That puts him in Peoria at the moment. Things can certainly change between now and Sept. but if Jaden starts in Peoria, so be it. I would think that he would instantly be recalled and put into the top 9 when one of the current top 9 gets injured. He's an excellent guy to have in reserve.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Alklha

I'll be shocked if he doesn't start in Peoria. He needs to bilk up, which he should manage over the summer and then make some adjustments to playing against men in the AHL. His offense is NHL ready right now, the rest of his game isn't quite there yet.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

That interview with Hitchcock is a good one.

Seems like Langenbrunner is all but sure to come back from the way Hitchcock was talking about him. He's already plugging him into the power play next year.

This quote about what kind of player they need to partner with Petro:

Quote:
"I think whoever we find there has to be a player that can help him move the puck. Their ability to exit the zone quickly is going to be really important. Whoever (Pietrangelo) plays with, he's got to be a guy that can really transition the puck. I think more than anything, that's going to be critical. Petro is not going to be an effective player if he's got to spend too much time in his own zone. I thought the difference in the two (playoff) series, all year we played defense by not spending any time in our zone. And we did the same in the San Jose series. But we got occupied in the LA series. They took advantage of our size there. They were able to control the play and wear on us a little bit. I don't think it makes Petro or Shattenkirk affective if they get occupied."
(emphasis added and 'affective' changed to 'effective')

The thing about the LA series was it was pretty obvious how things went wrong; everyone could see it. Just as Hitchcock says, all year the Blues were very quick at clearing their own zone but got swarmed under against LA. It's not surprising that Kris Russell still had an effective series. He has that elusive first step while controlling the puck. By and large, his pair was not swarmed under because of him. But Colaiacovo was disastrous and both Jackman and Shattenkirk struggled badly in this respect. They absolutely have to get someone who first and foremost can make the strong, quick, solid play to get the puck out of the zone under intense pressure.

The Tarasenko comments were interesting. It sounds from the article like it could be a McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko line, but that's FAR from written in stone. The mentality clearly is they're not really looking to add much up front. If they sign Nichol and Langenbrunner I think they're probably done. If there's a hockey trade that makes them better, I'm sure Armstrong will look at it and be willing to pull the trigger but with free agency it's all about that d-man. Hitchcock sounds pretty familiar with what Tarasenko can do. (He was probably streaming the KHL this year like the rest of us

Anyway, McDonald and Steen averaged a LOT of minutes this season, so I don't know if that would truly be a "third" line in terms of minutes. It would probably get more minutes than Perron-Berglund-Stewart, as McDonald and Steen get more minutes than everyone on that line.

Even with an improved Stewart, I'm very wary of Perron-Berglund-Stewart as a line. I think Berglund-Stewart is a bad mix. They get each other the puck so poorly. But I guess we'll see.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:43 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Apparently Darren Dreger is saying Garrison will command 5 x 5M (which is right on the nose of what I've said the Blues should pay) and that Florida is not going to be able to sign him at that price and they're looking to trade his rights and the Blues are at the top of the list.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Apparently Darren Dreger is saying Garrison will command 5 x 5M (which is right on the nose of what I've said the Blues should pay) and that Florida is not going to be able to sign him at that price and they're looking to trade his rights and the Blues are at the top of the list.
did Dreger say we were at the top of the list or is that what you think?

Old
06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
The Note
Overrated

^
Dreger said it himself.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:14 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Hey guys, Bruins fan here.

Any word on if the Blues are going to resign Colaiacovo?

Old
06-20-2012, 08:17 PM
ManyIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post

Pretty sure we're not(thank god).

You don't want him, btw.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:17 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:

As in, resign Colaiacovo to the dustbin of Blues history, yes. As in re-sign, he's all yours.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
^
Dreger said it himself.
good

Old
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Is Dreger any more accurate than Strickland?

He seems to throw rumors around pretty frequently.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:47 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

None of the talk means anything until we see what actually happens. Still, every sign points to the Blues being significant players in the market for a top-caliber Petro partner, which includes Garrison. That the Blues have and should have a lot of interest if Garrison isn't re-upping in Florida is a no-brainer. Dreger saying this isn't news in and of itself. It's simply another indication that the Blues are being every bit as "active" as Armstrong said they'd be in terms of filling this very large hole.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:03 PM
tfriede2

For some reason I have a feeling that either D'Agostini or a 3rd rounder will be traded to Florida at the draft for Garrison's rights. Just a hunch.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
Quote:

You seem like a nice fellow so for your sake, I'm going to give you some advice on whether or not you want Carlo Colaiacovo....

Old
06-20-2012, 09:13 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
For some reason I have a feeling that either D'Agostini or a 3rd rounder will be traded to Florida at the draft for Garrison's rights. Just a hunch.
Don't think Armstrong would want to pay D'Agostini, but a 3d is the price I had in mind too. Would be pumped to see that happen.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:25 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I agree with P9's in that a Bergie-Stewart line doesn't seem like a great idea. Last season, Stewart was almost a cancer to every line he was on. If someone was producing, put Stewart on their line, and it disappeared. Bergie struggled pretty badly the first half of the season, and then Stewart was replaced with Mac, and to an extent Perron, and suddenly Bergie turns it around. D'Ags-Bergie-Stewart line was a disaster for the first part of last season. I hope they think otherwise, perhaps by swapping Tarasenko and Stewart. Bergie and Stewart are both big guys with good shots. Bergie can pass, but it's certainly not a strength. Stewart is just an awful distributor of the puck. That combo just doesn't work, at least it didn't last year.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Is Dreger any more accurate than Strickland?

He seems to throw rumors around pretty frequently.
Umm yes. Dreger is on Bob McKenzie level.

I'd be pumped with Garrison. Adds offense, size, PK'ing ability and grit to the defense. Perfect fit next to Pietrangelo since he can move the puck AND play physical, absolutely perfect and we should be able to afford him and he's only 27.

Please make it happen.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:11 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I agree with P9's in that a Bergie-Stewart line doesn't seem like a great idea. Last season, Stewart was almost a cancer to every line he was on. If someone was producing, put Stewart on their line, and it disappeared. Bergie struggled pretty badly the first half of the season, and then Stewart was replaced with Mac, and to an extent Perron, and suddenly Bergie turns it around. D'Ags-Bergie-Stewart line was a disaster for the first part of last season. I hope they think otherwise, perhaps by swapping Tarasenko and Stewart. Bergie and Stewart are both big guys with good shots. Bergie can pass, but it's certainly not a strength. Stewart is just an awful distributor of the puck. That combo just doesn't work, at least it didn't last year.
Berglund-Stewart works if they have a good playmaker on the left side, but it's more contigent on the playmaker to make it work than it is Berglund-Stewart. The guys they were playing with this year were mostly shoot-first guys(D'Agostini, Perron, Steen, Oshie early in the year) and nobody could figure out who was supposed to be shooting and who was supposed to be making the passes.

Closed Thread