HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 07:37 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Detroit can offer way more in terms of better players to play with, better team, and a better hockey heritage that players are proud to be part of.

The only (dis)advantage Wild have is a reckless GM who is willing to hamper the future by overpaying for UFAs. Whereas Detroit's GM will only pay fair-market-value and offer him a chance to play for a contender for the rest of his career because of their savvy money management and brilliant scouting.

From the reports I hear, Wild are willing to mortgage the future for a small window. That's reckless like Chicago. Detroit prefer to spend smartly and be a contender year in, year out.

Would you take a job on a sinking ship over a well managed system that will be around for many years to come without NHL bailouts? I know I wouldn't.
Every team (basically) has contracts that are overpaid by 1,5-2 mil or more. Some teams more some teams less. And imo it's better to overpay for better talent what Suter and Parise are, this kind of players don't hit UFA status often and Minnesota won't probably have as good chances to get other big UFAs for next few years like Getzlaf, Perry, Edler, Vlasic, Staal and so on. Many may not even hit UFA.

They certainly aren't hampering their future, imo. They are all set on goalies, their prospect pool is one of the best on forwards and have pretty good nhl forwards, too. All they need is D where they have Brodin coming, Gilbert, Scandella, Prosser, Spurgeon and so on could fill the other top 4 d spots. They just need that #1 D (assuming youngsters pann out and maybe one top 4 d). They will probably take D at the draft too, Morgan Rielly could be awesome piece for them and I think they'll get him.

Many of their players are also young so being RFAs they won't be paid as much money. Granlund, Coyle, Larsson and Brodin are on their ELCs for three more years (some maybe two, not sure).

If you overpay Suter and Parise both by 3 mil combined it's not really a big loss when cap is close or even over 70 mil.

I think Fletcher has done amazing job out there. Of course it might be just small sample size anomaly and the hardest obstacles are still coming. But now they're looking good.

Of course, there are still many reasons why Suter and Parise wouldn't go to Minnesota. They have been discussed here to ad nauseaum so let's leave it at that. And I think Wings have better chance to get them but with all the hype and talk building up I wouldn't be that surprised if they can get either one of them or hit the jacpot

Old
06-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi View Post
Things are a tad different now...

Then:

Now:
Tallon didn't want Hossa

It is one of the things then led to him being fired

Old
06-20-2012, 08:10 PM
NWAvs

Can someone explain to me why the Avs are being talked about in this conversation? Dont wanna get my hopes up

Old
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Can someone explain to me why the Avs are being talked about in this conversation? Dont wanna get my hopes up
i think they may have been brought up because you have a great young core and would support a more laid back lifestyle like the one Suter is supposedly interested in.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i think they may have been brought up because you have a great young core and would support a more laid back lifestyle like the one Suter is supposedly interested in.
+ cap space + an opening at the #1 LD position.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:35 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
+ cap space + an opening at the #1 LD position.
everyone can make an opening at the #1 LD position for Suter (well everyone being talked about but Chicago), and I was under the impression the Avs weren't going to spend the money so i didn't bring that up.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I remember reading something earlier in the season that Suter's favorite place to play on the road is in Chicago. He lives in Madison, Wisconsin after the season. Chicago is the nearest NHL location to Madison. His uncle played here, and I'm sure he grew up a Hawks fan. Chicago is also a nice place to raise a family. The Hawks also have a disgustingly good core moving forward without him, and the core will become insane with him if he decides to sign here. It makes a lot of sense for him to sign with Chicago. Do it!
this

+ Bowman has to make a splash soon. McD wants something like this soon enough with 2 1st round exits

Old
06-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Detroit can offer way more in terms of better players to play with, better team, and a better hockey heritage that players are proud to be part of.

The only (dis)advantage Wild have is a reckless GM who is willing to hamper the future by overpaying for UFAs. Whereas Detroit's GM will only pay fair-market-value and offer him a chance to play for a contender for the rest of his career because of their savvy money management and brilliant scouting.

From the reports I hear, Wild are willing to mortgage the future for a small window. That's reckless like Chicago. Detroit prefer to spend smartly and be a contender year in, year out.

Would you take a job on a sinking ship over a well managed system that will be around for many years to come without NHL bailouts? I know I wouldn't.
WTF are you talking about? Our GM is not reckless at all, he's actually been fairly conservative to a fault almost while slowly rebuilding this team, and our "window" is not a short one at all, it's actually just opening and is certainly a lot wider then the Red Wings as currently constructed. And we WILL not be paying him 10+ million aav, it'll be 8 or so which is reasonable. Suter, probably will command between 6-7 which would also be just as reasonable.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:03 AM
zombi
I D D Q D

It's a common misconception that just because a team is "rebuilding", it means that they will surely become contenders in the future or that their window to win is wider. Rebuilding doesn't always work out. We've seen it with many teams who have tried full or partial rebuilds and haven't even got close to winning a cup.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
It's a common misconception that just because a team is "rebuilding", it means that they will surely become contenders in the future or that their window to win is wider. Rebuilding doesn't always work out. We've seen it with many teams who have tried full or partial rebuilds and haven't even got close to winning a cup.
Yes, well, it's more fun for them to hope than to admit that their team has been terrible for 10 years and has nothing to show for it.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:31 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Yes, well, it's more fun for them to hope than to admit that their team has been terrible for 10 years and has nothing to show for it.
Just wait till next year.....famous last words.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
everyone can make an opening at the #1 LD position for Suter (well everyone being talked about but Chicago), and I was under the impression the Avs weren't going to spend the money so i didn't bring that up.
Dater (for what it's worth) reported that we will be pursuing Parise/Suter. And Kroenke has told the fans a few times that Sherman has authority to spend up the cap, but that it wouldn't be wise to put ourselves in a position that we don't have room to maneuver. Additionally, Sherman was quoted as saying he was waiting on the new CBA prior to spending money. Whether that means he is ok now is anyone's guess (because perhaps he knows the jist of what the new CBA will be about and is comfortable spending now?).

Just a bit of info.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Just wait till next year.....famous last words.
Hey did we give you permission to use our motto?

Signed,
Philadelphia

Old
06-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Dater (for what it's worth) reported that we will be pursuing Parise/Suter. And Kroenke has told the fans a few times that Sherman has authority to spend up the cap, but that it wouldn't be wise to put ourselves in a position that we don't have room to maneuver. Additionally, Sherman was quoted as saying he was waiting on the new CBA prior to spending money. Whether that means he is ok now is anyone's guess (because perhaps he knows the jist of what the new CBA will be about and is comfortable spending now?).

Just a bit of info.
I'd be surprised if there was a team that won't at least make an offer.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Hey did we give you permission to use our motto?

Signed,
Philadelphia
Dear Philadelphia,

Sorry, but your cup ring(s) invalidates your trademark on that.

Sincerely,

St. Louis
Toronto

Old
06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Dear Philadelphia,

Sorry, but your cup ring(s) invalidates your trademark on that.

Sincerely,

St. Louis
Toronto
First let me say your avatar is awesome.

I wasn't just specifically talking about the hockey world with that saying . It's been Philly's since I was alive with the Eagles, Phillies(thank god for that), Sixers(HAAA) and Flyers.

St. Louis at least has the Rams and Cardinals.

Toronto, we can both laugh together at them! But I would like them to win something, it's tough as a fan base to keep losing.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:34 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2probert4 View Post
I think many are forgetting (or probably with this group didn't know) that Suter and Parise lived in the Ann Arbor area when they played together on those USA teams... I'm sure BOTH are very aware of the Metro Detroit area and what it has to offer.
Nothing to do with Suter, but Parise never played for the US National Development Team in Ann Arbor. He went straight from Shattucks in Fairbault to Grand Forks to play for the Sioux.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
WTF are you talking about? Our GM is not reckless at all, he's actually been fairly conservative to a fault almost while slowly rebuilding this team, and our "window" is not a short one at all, it's actually just opening and is certainly a lot wider then the Red Wings as currently constructed. And we WILL not be paying him 10+ million aav, it'll be 8 or so which is reasonable. Suter, probably will command between 6-7 which would also be just as reasonable.
Umm... yeah, no.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
I'll just say that 6-7 would be out of the range to get him signed in Minn. He already stated that he atleast wants 7m/yr and quite frankly Minn would be low balling him at 6-7 with their current structure and history. The guy wants a contender and life-long contract, I think he would go to Minn for more of 8-9m range. You would need to buy him out from other teams, and any team would GLADLY pay him 6-7m.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by loLZokAY View Post
I'll just say that 6-7 would be out of the range to get him signed in Minn. He already stated that he atleast wants 7m/yr and quite frankly Minn would be low balling him at 6-7 with their current structure and history. The guy wants a contender and life-long contract, I think he would go to Minn for more of 8-9m range. You would need to buy him out from other teams, and any team would GLADLY pay him 6-7m.
I think it depends on whether Minnesota gets Parise. If they do get him, I think Suter will consider signing for $7-8 million in Minnesota. If the Wild don't get Parise, I think Minnesota will have to over pay to have a chance of landing Suter. In which case, I think your estimate of $8-9 million is pretty accurate.

Personally, I don't think Suter signs in Minnesota unless Parise does. And if Parise signs in Minnesota, I think there is a better than 50% chance Suter does too.

Last edited by MNState0fHockey: 06-21-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
zombi
I D D Q D

Per Eklund (take it for what it's worth):

Quote:
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund

A source I trust tells me Suter is down to Minny or Detroit. Still feel Nashville will take a big shot

Old
06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
braindead

Quote:
Umm... yeah, no.
From the DRW fan that said the Wings wouldn't lose in the first round because they don't lose in the first round. You look at the past to predict the future.

As a Preds fan, I happen to agree with the Wild fan- the Wild as they currently exist do have a wider window than the DRW as they currently exist. Adding Suter makes either team substantially better. So, yeah, I would guess Suter might very well evaluate these as a draw on this point.

If he wants heritage, sure DRW win. If he wants to be close to his wife's family, Wild win. If he wants the last dollar, I suspect it's a toss up- both will pay up.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Per Eklund (take it for what it's worth):
i think that is the kiss of death for we Minny and Detroit fans. Why Ecklund? WHY?!

Old
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Ishad

Quote:
i think that is the kiss of death for we Minny and Detroit fans. Why Ecklund? WHY?!
Don't worry ecklund's source on this matter comes from reading this thread.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:16 PM
redwing471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
Don't worry ecklund's source on this matter comes from reading this thread.
LOL

Closed Thread