HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Awards 6/20/12 - 4PM Pacific Time (NBC Sports)

Old
06-20-2012, 09:25 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Apparently I missed it whenever it was... can you guys fill me in on when Quick slipped up on the F bomb?
He said it 3 times in about 30 seconds during the parade celebration inside the Staples Center. It's on YouTube.

06-20-2012, 09:31 PM
MynameisKing

It's alright that the Kings got snubbed on all the INDIVIDUAL awards. They won the biggest trophy! A TEAM award! It's all about the TEAM!

Edit: It's just regular season awards to boot! A step below playoff accolades!

MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:31 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
With the Norris being voted on by the writers, I sometimes feel like these guys take past seasons into account. I guess with that logic you could say Charra would have had a good chance too. I just thought Weber would win it based on the way media portrayed it.
They do sometimes - see Lidstrom winning it last year which was a complete joke and purely earned by his reputation. The problem with the media is they get fixated on numbers and then convince themselves those numbers are the be-all-end-all and that player is really that good. The media was trying to convince everyone that Phaneuf and Green were the next dominant defensemen and it was the fans (outside of the fans of their teams) that had long pointed out the severe flaws in each of their games. The media didn't catch up for a few years. Now they apparently just love the numbers even more and gave Mike Green 2.0 the Norris, although I hope Karlsson fixes his holes unlike the completely unlikeable Green.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:32 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
That's crazy. An argument can be made for Henrik, even if I don't buy it, but that's just outrageous. Most GMs clearly didn't start watching this Kings team until the playoffs (and thus their votes were already made) started.
You do realize the Kings weren't very good until the playoffs and had to play inferior Pacific teams 24 times...and hell the west in general, they couldn't even win a couple of games against the 8th seed.

They won the cup, congrats I'd take that any day over some regular season trophy.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:33 PM
SCARFACE909

People need to remember that Quick is going to split votes with Rinne from the Western GM's while Henrik won't have that issue with the East. Lundqvist was certainly deserving of the Vezina just as much as Quick.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:33 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
The Royal Half ‏@theroyalhalf

Shane Doan winning a leadership award is the funniest skit of the night.
Always on point

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Hank really wanted to win the Vezina. Happy for him, because he knows that's the only trophy he will ever win.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Shootmaster_44

Obviously CBC is showing the awards tape delayed. But someone should've told the NHL broadcasters that for musical guests you don't mic up the speakers for the lead singer but run it direct from the mic. Chad Kroeger sounds echoed and not very good (even for him). This is also the wrong the song to be playing since it was at one point the WWE Raw theme and that's all I think of when I hear it.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:49 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
You do realize the Kings weren't very good until the playoffs and had to play inferior Pacific teams 24 times...and hell the west in general, they couldn't even win a couple of games against the 8th seed.

They won the cup, congrats I'd take that any day over some regular season trophy.
Considering I watched them all season I do know that. But that only furthers the argument for Quick. The Rangers team was great all year. Henrik obviously plays a big part in that but most of his team played well start to finish. Quick was the Kings team the entire season and the only player that was at the top of his game start to finish. But I get it. Quick should have scored goals too!

No doubt. Henrik seems to be a real good guy and there's obviously a case for him winning but not by as much as he did. It wasn't unexpected though. Most of the folks that talk about Quick never watched him play prior to these playoffs. It's no different than when Doughty was in play for the Canadian Olympic team and all the fans around the league were moaning and griping about it, saying he was overrated, too young, played in the "weaker" Western Conference, etc. The Kings fans, the ones that were actually watching him play knew they were all wrong and they'd eat their words. And eat they did.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:54 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Considering I watched them all season I do know that. But that only furthers the argument for Quick. The Rangers team was great all year. Henrik obviously plays a big part in that but most of his team played well start to finish. Quick was the Kings team the entire season and the only player that was at the top of his game start to finish. But I get it. Quick should have scored goals too!

No doubt. Henrik seems to be a real good guy and there's obviously a case for him winning but not by as much as he did. It wasn't unexpected though. Most of the folks that talk about Quick never watched him play prior to these playoffs. It's no different than when Doughty was in play for the Canadian Olympic team and all the fans around the league were moaning and griping about it, saying he was overrated, too young, played in the "weaker" Western Conference, etc. The Kings fans, the ones that were actually watching him play knew they were all wrong and they'd eat their words. And eat they did.
Again Henrik won by the margin he did because Quick lost some votes to Rinne, having two western conference goalies they're going to split some votes while Henrik will most likely take the majority of Eastern votes.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Again Henrik won by the margin he did because Quick lost some votes to Rinne, having two western conference goalies they're going to split some votes while Henrik will most likely take the majority of Eastern votes.
I didn't say you were incorrect and that's why I didn't attempt to refute it the first time you posted it. I was responding to the person I quoted with the flawed argument.

But, it shouldn't play out that way. These GMs should see enough hockey to be able to vote appropriately regardless of where the nominees happen to play.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:01 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I don't think Brown got snubbed. He won his award last year.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:10 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
I totally understand what your saying, but for the life of me don't know why a GM would give a higher vote to Rinne then Quick

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I totally understand what your saying, but for the life of me don't know why a GM would give a higher vote to Rinne then Quick
Because Nashville is further east than L.A.?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Whats crazier; that Callahan finished ahead of Kopitar in Selke votes, or that someone voted Stoll as the 4th best defensive forward in the league

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
True but it still plays a factor because when a lot of those GMs aren't watching the late games they're listening to the media.

Just look at the list of Vezina winners for the current format of the award. There's only been two winners from Western North America and both were from Canadian cities. Playing in Canada negates any of that bias because all of the Canadian teams are given a crazy amount of coverage.
I think it is more than a bias. Lundqvist received 17 first place votes. Quick received 6. Its pretty clear, amongst the GMs, who the top goaltender was.

That said Kings fans should be happy. You took home the most important piece of hardware. Its nice to see Lundqvist get some recognition too. Great year for Quick and the Kings though.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I think it is more than a bias. Lundqvist received 17 first place votes. Quick received 6. Its pretty clear, amongst the GMs, who the top goaltender was.
Bias, or lack of due diligence, would directly contribute to skewed numbers. I can see the argument for Lundqvist. I can't see the argument for it being that big of a margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Whats crazier; that Callahan finished ahead of Kopitar in Selke votes, or that someone voted Stoll as the 4th best defensive forward in the league
Hmmm. Callahan is a very good defensive forward. Stoll is a good defensive forward too but most of that is rooted in his face-off ability. But it's clear Kopitar's defensive game is underrated league wide.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Wait a second, 9 GM's didn't give Quick votes? (6 firsts, 9 seconds, and 6 thirds) Who were these clowns?

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
He had more wins and faced more shots than any other goalie.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:12 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:

This was Hank's argument for the Vezina the other 3 times he was nominated. That argument never works

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Hank really wanted to win the Vezina. Happy for him, because he knows that's the only trophy he will ever win.
My wife pretty much said the exact same thing!

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:17 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Kings have the Cup and all these other teams get a consolation prize. I honestly couldn't care less and I'm sure the Kings feel the same way.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:18 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
This was Hank's argument for the Vezina the other 3 times he was nominated. That argument never works
So you feel that Hank was a deserving loser the previous times?

Old
06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
So you feel that Hank was a deserving loser the previous times?
No, I'm just saying that was mine as well as many Rangers fans thinking for those 3 times he was nominated.

This year the Rangers finally had a top-seeded team so I've seen the argument from both sides of the spectrum. However, being the top seed in the East didn't mean Hank did less this year than from years past. In fact, I'd say this years team relied on Hank and the defense more so than others.

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The only trophy that matters baby!

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote