HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Awards 6/20/12 - 4PM Pacific Time (NBC Sports)

Old
06-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The only trophy that matters baby!

Amen!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:32 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
No, I'm just saying that was mine as well as many Rangers fans thinking for those 3 times he was nominated.

This year the Rangers finally had a top-seeded team so I've seen the argument from both sides of the spectrum. However, being the top seed in the East didn't mean Hank did less this year than from years past. In fact, I'd say this years team relied on Hank and the defense more so than others.
Which I understand. And while I think Quick should have won, I certainly understand the argument for Hank. He obviously had a fantastic season as well. But I just don't see the argument for his margin of victory being that large.

06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
outofrange

Honestly about Karlsson though...dude is a forward. No PK, just/hardly average defensively. No denying his talent, but I think Kopi makes a better all around defenseman than he does, lol.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:38 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrange View Post
Honestly about Karlsson though...dude is a forward. No PK, just/hardly average defensively. No denying his talent, but I think Kopi makes a better all around defenseman than he does, lol.
You shouldn't be allowed to win the Norris if you can't earn more PK time than Matt Gilroy.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
You shouldn't be allowed to win the Norris if you can't earn more PK time than Matt Gilroy.
Yeah just based on all around play Weber and Chara deserved it more. I get the feeling that Karlsson is the next Green...wonder if he'll sizzle out once teams start really keying in on him and he can't be as fancy as he likes to be.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrange View Post
If they want to give it to the defensemen with the best offensive numbers, than they should have a separate award. The Norris trophy is for the best defenseman overall, but now it looks like it's based on who has the most points.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:59 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Which I understand. And while I think Quick should have won, I certainly understand the argument for Hank. He obviously had a fantastic season as well. But I just don't see the argument for his margin of victory being that large.
I'd agree with that. The margin should have been closer without a doubt. If Quick won, I would have been upset that Hank was once again nominated and didn't win. Quick was definitely a worthy candidate and deserved it as well.

In the end, he and the Kings received much more meaningful hardware

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

I was expecting Brown and Quickie to come out with the cup and to be announced this year's winner. Don't get why they didn't to that- Boston did it last year, and Hawks did it the year before.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:06 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Karlsson sucks at being a defenseman. cant believe Weber didn't win.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:36 AM
TheSlovenian

These awards are a joke. Anze Kopitar for Selke at 9. place? And for Lady Byng at 19. place? What?!?

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
These awards are a joke. Anze Kopitar for Selke at 9. place? And for Lady Byng at 19. place? What?!?
Further proof that these so called "experts" who cover hockey are full of idiots and don't watch the games.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:40 AM
bbfrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
If even you swear on TV, you are still no Jonathan Quick. You suck Henrik
Is it something I missed or did Hank not recognize his competion for the Vezina? No honorable mention of Rinne or Quick. Pretty standard issue to do that. Huh.

bbfrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Selke is one of those awards that is a year late and also rewards for team success. Everyone just saw first hand how great a defensive center Kopitar is during this playoff run. I guarantee he is a finalist next season for the award.

And spot on about what a joke it is for Shane Doan to win a leadership award.

I also think you guys are dead wrong on Karlsson, he is one of the most unique and talented players in the league. He changes the way you have to play against Ottawa. Some of the stuff he does from the blue line is beyond belief.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:42 AM
DaAnimal

if quick won the vezina, holy crap he might even be the highest paid goalie in the nhl.

Im happy that quick didn't get it. Though i certainly think he deserved it. But what's more important to them and to us fans is well you know the cup

I'm just happy Rinne didn't get it. Heck, if Smith was part of the candidates, well F that clown.

But yeah the thing about Doan, kinda made me throw up in my mouth a little.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:51 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

I posted this on the main board Karlsson thread, it pretty much sums-up my opinion of the Karlsson Norris debacle.

Just for arguments sake, why wasn't Willie Mitchell a Norris candidate? He's basically the polar opposite of Karlsson, not great offensively, fantastic defensively. Willie Mitchell was a +20 on a team that finished 29th in goals per game, he played 272:33 minutes short handed for the 4th ranked PK, and tied for 62nd for points among defensemen (much better league wide than Karlsson would rank defensively). Do you know why Mitchell isn't a Norris candidate and Karlsson won today? Because points are sexy and easily seen in a score sheet, and the Norris pretty much has nothing to do with actual defensive play (which was more then proven today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
if quick won the vezina, holy crap he might even be the highest paid goalie in the nhl.

Im happy that quick didn't get it. Though i certainly think he deserved it. But what's more important to them and to us fans is well you know the cup
Smythe>Vezina, Quick is going to get PAID

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:53 AM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I posted this on the main board Karlsson thread, it pretty much sums-up my opinion of the Karlsson Norris debacle.

Just for arguments sake, why wasn't Willie Mitchell a Norris candidate? He's basically the polar opposite of Karlsson, not great offensively, fantastic defensively. Willie Mitchell was a +20 on a team that finished 29th in goals per game, he played 272:33 minutes short handed for the 4th ranked PK, and tied for 62nd for points among defensemen (much better league wide than Karlsson would rank defensively). Do you know why Mitchell isn't a Norris candidate and Karlsson won today? Because points are sexy and easily seen in a score sheet, and the Norris pretty much has nothing to do with actual defensive play (which was more then proven today)
east coast bias runs rampant. Some GMs are bitter that the Kings won (or was the voting taken place before the stanley cup?) I mean **** I totally agree with you, Willie should have been nominated. I mean look at Quick he got 50% less votes than Lundy. I mean the race wasn't even close lol, pretty sad if you ask me.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Missing 14 games probably cost Green the Norris in 09. Pretty sure he would've won it had he not missed that many games since voters love voting for the best offensive defenseman.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 AM
johnjm22

If Karlsson didn't play for a Canadian team, I don't think he would have won the Norris.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:57 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
east coast bias runs rampant. Some GMs are bitter that the Kings won (or was the voting taken place before the stanley cup?) I mean **** I totally agree with you, Willie should have been nominated. I mean look at Quick he got 50% less votes than Lundy. I mean the race wasn't even close lol, pretty sad if you ask me.
I'm not saying Mitchell should have been nominated, I just don't think he's any less deserving of consideration then Karlsson given that they are both fantastic one dimensional players. Yet as we see, offense trumps defense even when we are dealing with defensemen

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:43 AM
McSorley 33

Next year will be jq's year along with kopi. Not surprised or even mad about jq's snub. The kings have arrived and everyone knows it. You cannot ignore talent when your forced to watch it (referring to the east coast bias).

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:13 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

If Kopitar finds a way to avoid those annual scoring slumps he has and plays consistent for a full season, he'll get some hardware. Otherwise, don't hold your breath.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:32 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I'm not saying Mitchell should have been nominated, I just don't think he's any less deserving of consideration then Karlsson given that they are both fantastic one dimensional players. Yet as we see, offense trumps defense even when we are dealing with defensemen
Being nominated means you were in the top 3 of voting. Mitchell finished 18th in Norris voting with one vote.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I was more upset about Hank getting the Hart nod over Quick than him winning the Vezina over Quick. Either way, it is over now. We got what we came for, onto the draft.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

True, I just read 9 GM's didnt give a Quick a single vote. That's just unheard.

What do you people think ? I just dont know what to say.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Here is the Vezina voting:

Lundqvist got a vote from all 30 GMs. Quick only from 21 GMs. That means that 9 GMs felt that Quick was the 4th best goalie in the NHL.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote