HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 12:24 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I beat ya kallio.
I hate you.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
BTW Johansen has gained about 20 pounds of muscle since late April. Hopefully that doesn't affect his skating / mobility like it has some players. Right now he's about 6'3" 220 lbs.
Johansen is a late bloomer, so he might still be growing and filling out. He seems physically behind other players.

He's posted on twitter about training with Colton Gilles and pictures of lifting massive dumbbells and weight lifting competitions. So, hopefully he's on the right program.

If the Jackets draft Forsberg, he's in sort of a similar position and Jackets trainers need to get a program that works established.

What I like about Yakupov and Galy is that they're fitness freaks and there's no such worries about them being out of shape. Maybe overuse injuries. Yak runs twice a day.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:41 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Cool videos of Prospects in Pitt
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...1300&id=181926

Stu MacGregor (Oiler Head Scout) Tell me if you read anything into this.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Cool videos of Prospects in Pitt

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...1300&id=181926

Stu MacGregor (Oiler Head Scout) Tell me if you read anything into this.
At best they are still debating. At worst it is about who to take 32nd.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
CapnCornelius

Thought it was interesting for Porty to specifically mention Malcolm Subban in the chat as someone the Jackets might be looking at. Guess we'll find out of there is any truth to that or not come this weekend.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Thought it was interesting for Porty to specifically mention Malcolm Subban in the chat as someone the Jackets might be looking at. Guess we'll find out of there is any truth to that or not come this weekend.
Subban is a competitor, and he's definitely got some potential. The only concern that I have for him is that he's only been playing goalie for about 6 years now. There is one goalie with a comparable start in net who turned out pretty good, that you may have heard of - Cam Ward. I think that would be Subban's ceiling, he won't likely be an elite guy, but he could be a solid #1 NHL goaltender, if developed properly.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Subban is a competitor, and he's definitely got some potential. The only concern that I have for him is that he's only been playing goalie for about 6 years now. There is one goalie with a comparable start in net who turned out pretty good, that you may have heard of - Cam Ward. I think that would be Subban's ceiling, he won't likely be an elite guy, but he could be a solid #1 NHL goaltender, if developed properly.
Most mocks I have seen have him going mid-late first round, unless we trade Nash to San Jose or New York or package both seconds to move back into the first I'm not sure we will be in position to draft him. Most mocks have Vasilevski and Dansk being available around 31 though.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Letestu View Post
Most mocks I have seen have him going mid-late first round, unless we trade Nash to San Jose or New York or package both seconds to move back into the first I'm not sure we will be in position to draft him. Most mocks have Vasilevski and Dansk being available around 31 though.
You'll be hard pressed to find someone as accurate with their first round predictions as Bob Mackenzie, and he has Subban in the mid/late first round. You are right, we are not currently in a position to draft him, nor do I think we should give up a huge number of assets to move into a spot to draft him. He is at least 4-5 years away, and if we're looking for immediate help, it will have to be elsewhere. If we can deal up from #31 and add in, say, one of the fourth round picks, and get 4-5 spots ahead and draft him, great. If it costs us both second rounders, forget about it.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:26 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find someone as accurate with their first round predictions as Bob Mackenzie, and he has Subban in the mid/late first round. You are right, we are not currently in a position to draft him, nor do I think we should give up a huge number of assets to move into a spot to draft him. He is at least 4-5 years away, and if we're looking for immediate help, it will have to be elsewhere. If we can deal up from #31 and add in, say, one of the fourth round picks, and get 4-5 spots ahead and draft him, great. If it costs us both second rounders, forget about it.
You don't draft Subban for now, you draft him to build sadly missing organizational depth in goal. Right now our depth is Mason, York...and then?

Old
06-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
You don't draft Subban for now, you draft him to build sadly missing organizational depth in goal. Right now our depth is Mason, York...and then?
Martin Ouellette is at Maine, and Anton Forsberg in Sweden. Even if Subban is added, none of them is likely to be in the NHL before 2014.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Наиль Якупов‏@Nail10_1993
@sarault12 hahahahahahhaa Thanks man !!! ))) Djodiiiiii!!!!)))))) U me and Nash Hahahahahah

Charlie Sarault‏@sarault12
@Nail10_1993 working out hard, trying to play for columbus with u and nash

Yakupov tweets about the CBJ with his linemate, they are joking around, so im guessing that means Nail is an Oiler.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:20 AM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Наиль Якупов‏@Nail10_1993
@sarault12 hahahahahahhaa Thanks man !!! ))) Djodiiiiii!!!!)))))) U me and Nash Hahahahahah

Charlie Sarault‏@sarault12
@Nail10_1993 working out hard, trying to play for columbus with u and nash

Yakupov tweets about the CBJ with his linemate, they are joking around, so im guessing that means Nail is an Oiler.
If anyone needed affirmation that we are indeed a joke

Old
06-21-2012, 12:40 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
I don't understand the insult. Sounds like he's just joking around with getting his linemate as if he were in the NHL? Explain why I should be bothered?

Old
06-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
By the end of their 11th year, the Devils franchise had made the playoffs once (without winning a game) in an era when damn near everyone made the playoffs. They went through 10 coaches (including interims), had never touched .500, and just lost out on the first overall pick in a year when there was a clear-cut #1. Their point percentage to that point was .302, and they had just been called "a Mickey Mouse organization" by Wayne Gretzky.

Think they're still bitter about how the rest of history has played out since then?

Old
06-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

There are supposed to be three talented goalies in this draft. Suban is expected to go mid-late first round.

Seeing as how we have absolutely no depth at the goalie position, what would be the chances Howson uses the 30th and 31st picks to take whichever two goalies is still on the board?

No guarantees we get anyone else that will make a quick move to the NHL or even make it at all.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:31 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
There are supposed to be three talented goalies in this draft. Suban is expected to go mid-late first round.

Seeing as how we have absolutely no depth at the goalie position, what would be the chances Howson uses the 30th and 31st picks to take whichever two goalies is still on the board?

No guarantees we get anyone else that will make a quick move to the NHL or even make it at all.
All indications at this point suggest Howson won't use the 30th this year. Either way, I think, at most, we'll take one goalie within the first two rounds. I wouldn't be surprised to see another drafted late in the draft.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
All indications at this point suggest Howson won't use the 30th this year. Either way, I think, at most, we'll take one goalie within the first two rounds. I wouldn't be surprised to see another drafted late in the draft.
yeah, we almost HAVE to take one at 31 b/c I'm not sure any of the top 3/4 will be there at 45...

will we take Corbeil in the late rounds and try him again

Old
06-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Andrei Makarov should be there at #45 ... that's a pick that could work out for us, as he was stellar for the Saskatoon Blades this year, and was as good (or better?) than Vasilevsky at the WJCs ... he's a year older though, so "late bloomer" is the key.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:20 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

Howson probably better use the 31st on a goaltender if he doesn't use/keep the 30th this year. I might even be for using the pick and taking goalies back to back, myself.

Maybe he could potentially trade the 30th if someone wants to bite and collect another asset.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Xoggz22

Goalies seem to be a crap shoot and several come from later rounds. From all I've read, this draft seems to have some potential beyond Dansk, Subban and Vasilevski (sp?). There are guys like Stolarz, Whitney, Makarov and several others I'm having a brain fart on at the moment.

For me, if we can snag Dansk with #31 and another with one of our 4th rd picks I"ll be happy. I have heard positive reports about Forsberg (Anton) too. that's three potential future goalies. doesn't solve the immediate need but we still need depth

Old
06-21-2012, 09:41 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
By the end of their 11th year, the Devils franchise had made the playoffs once (without winning a game) in an era when damn near everyone made the playoffs. They went through 10 coaches (including interims), had never touched .500, and just lost out on the first overall pick in a year when there was a clear-cut #1. Their point percentage to that point was .302, and they had just been called "a Mickey Mouse organization" by Wayne Gretzky.

Think they're still bitter about how the rest of history has played out since then?
Thanks for providing that perspective, the similarities are truly eerie!

Old
06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
It disappoints me that I have seen absolutely nothing connecting the Jackets and Galchenyuk.

The kid has fire.
Could it be simply that Howson just wants to make a safe pick and that he doesn't want to take a chance on the knee, after the abysmal season?

(Hoping that didn't come across as *******ish, i really wanted it to sound sincere in that I think that would be reason you guys would jump him and take either murray or forsberg)

Old
06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Could it be simply that Howson just wants to make a safe pick and that he doesn't want to take a chance on the knee, after the abysmal season?

(Hoping that didn't come across as *******ish, i really wanted it to sound sincere in that I think that would be reason you guys would jump him and take either murray or forsberg)
This is my problem on guys with limited upside (or rumored limited upside in Murray) that are generally considered "safe" picks": Its fine when you are picking 5-10. We have the 2nd overall. I doubt, had Columbus actually won the lottery, we'd be bandying about how we should take a "safe" pick. This is the highest we've ever landed at in the draft without a trade, now is not the time to throw away massive potential for "safe picks" and (not directed at you subbanged, just everyone with this mentality) don't give me that "2-8 in this draft is generally considered a crap shoot" stuff. If Howson wants to play it safe, then he should just trade down and be done with it, you don't select players at #2 if your first concern is rather they are safe picks or not. Do a better job developing, don't draft and just hope the picks bucks the trend and your poor development.

I'm not saying the CBJ should go all out and mortage the future/present (what present? right?) on swapping with Edmonton. But the need for a player like Yakupov is far greater for the CBJ. If its swapping plus a minor piece or two, I would do it.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

agreed KBW... #TeamGaly

Closed Thread