HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nicklas Jensen to play with AIK in SEL if he does not make Canucks (upd: July 2)

Old
06-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Provost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I think Hansen stays. Danish players have shown that they have tremendous amounts of heart in clutch situations like the playoffs (Boedker and Hansen) and there's no way I'm move him.
I am not saying I am hoping to move him, but he is a player that other teams could covet and is replaceable by Jensen who is a bigger and more skilled version.

Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:26 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
I am not saying I am hoping to move him, but he is a player that other teams could covet and is replaceable by Jensen who is a bigger and more skilled version.
Jensen isn't a Hansen replacement. He has top 6 upside whereas Hansen is better fit for a 3rd line role. You want Hansen to hit and play defense; you want Jensen to make plays and score goals.

VinnyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Jensen isn't a Hansen replacement. He has top 6 upside whereas Hansen is better fit for a 3rd line role. You want Hansen to hit and play defense; you want Jensen to make plays and score goals.
It is reasonable to assume the Jensen does not automatically slot into the 2nd line as a teenager and plays more protected 3rd line minutes the first year or two in the league.

We would be incredibly lucky if he could play in the top 6 on a contending team right away. If there is a spot anywhere on the roster for him this year it is Hansen's... unless we fail to get a 2nd line winger and Higgins has to play there... leaving us with a possible Danish duo on the 3rd line wings.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:30 PM
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper

I really hope Jensen makes the Canucks this year, I really do. We really need a rookie with a bonafide wow factor to him, and pleasepleaseplease Jensen be the guy. That being said, the SEL would be as good a place as any for him to be if he can't go to the Wolves. Good move, imho.

And if there's precedent for calling him "Jensen" instead of "Yensen", then I'm going with Jensen. Sounds cooler in English.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Elbows of Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
I also don't see the comparison at all (beyond nationality of course).

It would be exciting to see Jensen inserted in our line-up and not be overwhelmed by the jump in competition from OHL to NHL. Jensen brings a much different game than Hansen, whose primary strength is as a dogged fore-checker. Jensen has puck patience that few of our forwards seem to have. Hopefully he can still shine playing at a faster pace. I am worried about him, as the limited times I have watched Jensen (WJC etc.) he didn't have his feet moving. Hopefully it was because he was relied upon to play such big minutes for the Danes.

Plus, somewhere in the prospect thread there is a Corrado video where Corrado assists on a dirty dirty backhand that hits top shelf, by Jensen. I want *that* in our lineup.

Elbows of Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Proto

Quote:
I think Hansen stays. Danish players have shown that they have tremendous amounts of heart in clutch situations like the playoffs (Boedker and Hansen) and there's no way I'm move him.
Because he's Danish? Surely, you jest (yest?).

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
I also don't see the comparison at all (beyond nationality of course).
Not a comparison in style of play or player... just in that they would both fit into the same roster spot on our team this upcoming season. Both 3rd line wingers who can play both sides.

On our current roster if you assume Higgins-Lapierre/Malhotra-Hansen... if you are opening a spot for Jensen then it is Hansen that moves, I think Higgins is pretty secure.

You can only have so many tweeners on your team.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:36 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Because he's Danish? Surely, you jest (yest?).
Yes, it was sort of sarcastic but they play pretty tough.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:29 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
It is reasonable to assume the Jensen does not automatically slot into the 2nd line as a teenager and plays more protected 3rd line minutes the first year or two in the league.

We would be incredibly lucky if he could play in the top 6 on a contending team right away. If there is a spot anywhere on the roster for him this year it is Hansen's... unless we fail to get a 2nd line winger and Higgins has to play there... leaving us with a possible Danish duo on the 3rd line wings.
Hansen doesn't play "protected" minutes.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Hodgy

I am not sure that another year of OHL hockey would be the worst thing for Jensen. It is not like we are talking about one of the best players in the OHL, Jensen finished 3rd on his own team in scoring. I think he could still learn a lot in the OHL and further develop his offensive game.

I can see why Jensen would want to play pro hockey though.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I am not sure that another year of OHL hockey would be the worst thing for Jensen. It is not like we are talking about one of the best players in the OHL, Jensen finished 3rd on his own team in scoring. I think he could still learn a lot in the OHL and further develop his offensive game.

I can see why Jensen would want to play pro hockey though.
Jensen also had a groin injury during the season.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:07 AM
Hodgy

Quote:
Jensen also had a groin injury during the season.
Most players play through injuries.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:12 AM
digger18

Quote:
So wouldn't we be better off moving Hansen out for a 3rd line player who is better defensively, and actually hits (with authority) on a regular basis? Hansen has had plenty of oppourtunity to find an identity on this roster and he's remained a tweener in every situation. The love the guy continues getting around here for a mediocre player is baffling.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
So wouldn't we be better off moving Hansen out for a 3rd line player who is better defensively, and actually hits (with authority) on a regular basis? Hansen has had plenty of oppourtunity to find an identity on this roster and he's remained a tweener in every situation. The love the guy continues getting around here for a mediocre player is baffling.
Hansen is an ideal 3rd liner.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:18 AM
digger18

Yes he is, if you like a 3rd line that gets dominated physically in playoff hockey.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:21 AM
billvanseattle

I still really want to see a Jensen Schroeder Kassian rookie line for a while and see what happens ...

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Yes he is, if you like a 3rd line that gets dominated physically in playoff hockey.
hahahah. you so silly.

Guys an ideal checker and penalty killer. putting up 40 points from that sort of role is money.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:37 AM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
hahahah. you so silly.

Guys an ideal checker and penalty killer. putting up 40 points from that sort of role is money.
Sure his style is fine for the regular season. But if this team is gonna go far again were gonna need a bottom six that actually wears down the opposition over the course of a series. skating around as fast you can then pulling up and turning away at the last second isn't gonna get that done. At best Hansen holds his line and dishes out a soft bump.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:48 AM
HankieDankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
I still really want to see a Jensen Schroeder Kassian rookie line for a while and see what happens ...
Kinda reminds me of the WCE

Jensen = Naslund
Schroeder = Morrison
Kassian = Bert

HankieDankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:52 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Think Naslund brings him to Modo?
A swedish poster early speculated that Modo could be one of the clubs he is talking to. From a Canucks point of view, I would think that Modo would be one of the preferred locations, because of Gillis connections with Naslund. And Modo is quite good at developing young players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Could be a good move if he gets icetime, could be a bad move if he doesn't.

Keep in mind that the team he signs for will have nothing invested in him and know they only have him for 1 year, so he'll really have to earn icetime ... won't get it because the team is 'developing' him and want him to grow.
It also means that the team that hires him knows they are only having him for one season. So they know it will just be a waste of money if he isn't able to make an impact on their team this year. And since he isn't brought up through a teams system, he is able to pick a team that is willing to give him the opportunity to play top-6 minutes.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:41 AM
DenGC

I like it. The way I see it.

+
1. Can play the Olympic Qualification tournament for Denmark. Might lead to participation at the Olympic Games against the best of the best.
2. Fewer games scheduled, can practice more and work on his skill-set.
3. Also lesser chance of injuries due to overload.
4. Play against stronger competition than the OHL.

-
1. Different size of surface.
2. Playing time is a ?

DenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:44 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I don't mind, I get playing against Men is better development but I haven't really seen the difference with those playing in the SEL and those in juniors

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:46 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
I'm confused. Hansen was one of the few players to show up physically every game in the 2011 run and helped score some big goals. He wasn't as good this year but he still has a good playoff record and he's the kind of guy the team needs in the bottom 6. Plus his cap hit is 1.5M so there's absolutely no reason to even trade him.

VinnyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:59 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Methinks 1 more year until that's a reality, just based on how the Canucks operate now and possible holes with contracts ending for Higgins, Lappierre, Malhotra, Burrows etc

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:23 AM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
this opinion i believe is based on hansen not "blowing people up" when he forechecks. he's very physical, but he's physical with the intent to separate the player from the puck, not the head from the body. he takes the body more than any other player on the team when he's playing well. in fact, he's amazing at taking dmen off the puck whenever they try a fancypants move.

yeah, he's not raffi torres, and thank god for that. he's an actually effective hockey player that won't be on the shelf 20 games out of a season for crossing the line.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote