Notices

Sami Vatanen

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

vCash: 500
maybe Vis will retire but imo Lydman will play at least a year or two.

Ofcourse, it is better to pair young guy with veteran, i just said IF Lyd-Vis regains their top form, it`d be stupid to part them imo. They were not only into great individual seasons in 10/11, they benefited one from another a lot.

Sbisa would compliment Vatanen well imo - big (sort of), physical, can hit and fight if someone pushes Sami around.

Lyd is obvious and great choise, but if that`d hurt our overall D line, i`d think again.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:43 AM
JabbaJabba

I really hope that Visnovsky doesn't retire now when Schultz has decided to betray the Ducks. Also with Brookbank probably leaving and no idea if Vatanen is ready or if Beauchemin is healthy when the season starts, the defence could be pretty bad.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
That would be the most obvious choice IF Sami makes the team.
The language factor played some role in 10/11 Lyd-Vis pairing (even though they orginally speak different languages) but they found a way to comunicate on the ice while no one understood what they were talking about.

Even though, if Vatanen makes the team, i would want to try out Lyd-Vis pairing again - they should be playing better, since there were no major injuries last season AND they will be entering their contract years. If they really bounce back at least for 90% of their 10/11 form, our D line would look pretty sweet.

Beauchemin-Fowler
Lydman-Visnovsky
Sbisa-Vatanen (if he becomes what we all expect from him)
I think Sbisa and Lydman should switch. Lydman can be that mentor for Sami that teaches him how to be a pro not necessarily on the ice but off the ice. When was the last time the Ducks had a young guy that didnt speak English (correct me if I'm wrong but Sami doesnt speak practically any right?)? I think making him comfortable off the ice is just as important as on the ice. Maybe even more.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:55 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
I think Sbisa and Lydman should switch. Lydman can be that mentor for Sami that teaches him how to be a pro not necessarily on the ice but off the ice. When was the last time the Ducks had a young guy that didnt speak English (correct me if I'm wrong but Sami doesnt speak practically any right?)? I think making him comfortable off the ice is just as important as on the ice. Maybe even more.
English is taught in Finnish schools from like 2nd or 3rd grade so language isn't an issue for him. Pronunciation might not be the best yet but he should understand it well and should learn to pronounce more properly in a year or two.

edit:
There's still work to be done but he'll be alright.

Last edited by JabbaJabba: 06-21-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old
06-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
He is allowed to do that even if he is not on the same pairing
Sbisa is a great guy and he could definatly find a way to cooperate with Sami on the ice. He`s European to after all.

The most important thing that must be adressed with Vatanens pair-mate is that he have to be experienced and with ability to correct some mistakes that will happen. Toni is better than Luca at this point, definately. But, other than that, i see no other reason.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Unholy
waifu

Here's to Lydman turning Sami into a metal head

I would give that pairing a shot. Could be a bit like that Lubo-Lydman pairing (the good one )

Wouldn't mind to see what Lubo-Sbisa can do with more time either.

I'm not saying this is my 'Plan A' but if those are the guys we have playing that's what I would want to see if only to see how it works.

Last edited by Unholy: 06-21-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old
06-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Unagi

Quote:
Sbisa is a great guy and he could definatly find a way to cooperate with Sami on the ice. He`s European to after all.

The most important thing that must be adressed with Vatanens pair-mate is that he have to be experienced and with ability to correct some mistakes that will happen. Toni is better than Luca at this point, definately. But, other than that, i see no other reason.
Well Swiss/Italian is a strech to Finnish. I really prefer Lydman as a partner to Sami. They speak the same language thus making the transition a bit easier. And Sbisa is not mature enough to mentor a guy who just comes into the NHL IMO.

BTW: Imagine we traded Ryan for a package with Niederreiter and Streit (+?) lol Swiss Invasion in Anaheim

Old
06-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
Well Swiss/Italian is a strech to Finnish. I really prefer Lydman as a partner to Sami. They speak the same language thus making the transition a bit easier. And Sbisa is not mature enough to mentor a guy who just comes into the NHL IMO.

BTW: Imagine we traded Ryan for a package with Niederreiter and Streit (+?) lol Swiss Invasion in Anaheim
Lube is Slovak, which is not really Finland to. But they had great chemistry! Ofcourse their experience steped in also and stuff, all i`m saying is - if Lubo and Vis can turn back that some of that chemistry they had in 10/11, they should be kept together.

They were probably top3 pairing that year.

Well, if Swiss would come to Anaheim, they would still have to compete with Sweden and Finland.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
English is taught in Finnish schools from like 2nd or 3rd grade so language isn't an issue for him. Pronunciation might not be the best yet but he should understand it well and should learn to pronounce more properly in a year or two.

edit:
There's still work to be done but he'll be alright.
Much better then what I heard in another video. He sounded terrible.

Quote:

Lies, we all know they shun each other if they are not linemates!!!!

Old
06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Visnovsky retiring would be totally brutal...

Old
06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
QnebO

Quote:
That would be the most obvious choice IF Sami makes the team.
The language factor played some role in 10/11 Lyd-Vis pairing (even though they orginally speak different languages) but they found a way to comunicate on the ice while no one understood what they were talking about.
They talk so horrible english that no one else understood it? That must have been, slovak and finnish are so different that they couldnt have been communicating any way with any combination of those languages

Old
06-21-2012, 12:13 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post

edit:
That sounds about like my english.. i bet he understands about everything, it just sounds weird when he talks himself, because earlier he didin't haveto actually pronounce english too many times, and its so different language after all so it takes some time to tune in the way it should sound and how they pronounce it smoothly ect.. Its like you listen to metal whole ur life and then change to rap first time.. its horrible first, but you should get tuned into it atleast somehow, if you dont have attitude problem

I think im more excited than Vatanen himself is about this. I think he gets a shot in the NHL early. And I truly hope its Lydman - Vatanen. On the ice it doesnt really matter what language it is, but when they come back to the bench from the ice, with lydman he can talk thru the last shift what just happened and lyde can teach him how to tweak some plays there. That wont happen in english, not that good atleast. Lyde will also have motivation to teach him, as they are countrymen, finnish "brothers" and they dont really play the same Dman role.

There is a change that he will be great in the NHL too.. just haveto get the confidence to do they plays he did here, he has the skillset to do it. He's like paul coffey, not even very poor man's one..

Last edited by QnebO: 06-21-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Didn't Lubo say he'd be returning next year? Not sure though.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:44 PM
rollingdux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Didn't Lubo say he'd be returning next year? Not sure though.
Yes, I remember that too. I think it was during exit interviews or something. I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about Lubo retiring this season.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:54 PM
rollingdux

Found this from Brady's Blog back in April.

Quote:
Speaking of players considering retirement, Lubomir Visnovsky admitted he thought about it after enduring what he thought might be, "[the] worst season ever for me" after strugging with injuries all year. "I was very mad during the season because I [didn't] feel comfortable," he said. "My confidence was very low…[But] I want to play. I want to be here with my teammates."
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=8412

Old
06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Thanks for that. Yeah, I thought I remembered something about him returning.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdux View Post
Found this from Brady's Blog back in April.

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=8412
Maybe that explains why he got into his first-ever fight.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:49 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
I know it doesn't mean a lot to most people here but I have heard from a friend that Sami will wear a rookie number of 45 - take it as a rumor from someone I trust doesn't mean you have to (also Lasch will wear 49). If I get proof I will post it.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Maybe that explains why he got into his first-ever fight.
His second, actually.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:13 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
I know it doesn't mean a lot to most people here but I have heard from a friend that Sami will wear a rookie number of 45 - take it as a rumor from someone I trust doesn't mean you have to (also Lasch will wear 49). If I get proof I will post it.
Wow so they dont give him 44, but 45? Wtf

Well jets gave teemu the #13 and it worked out pretty nice

Last edited by QnebO: 06-22-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old
06-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
His second, actually.

Wow. He needs to pick his spots better.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:36 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Wow so they dont give him 44, but 45? Wtf

Well jets gave teemu the #13 and it worked out pretty nice
The word I got was that 44 will be held for a while out of respect for Rob Neids, much like the team is holding off on letting anyone wear 22, 27 and 35 for a while. Also that 45 is only a rookie number and his will change to a pro number under 40.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Ducks

Just thought I'd note that when Bob Murray was interviewed by NHL radio at the draft, when asked why Visnovsky was traded he specifically mentioned needing to make room for Sami Vatanen to come play.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Paul4587

I don't like that line of thinking. You don't trade a known commodity to create a spot for a guy who has never played in NA before, especially when our blueline wasn't great to begin with.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Oh boy.

Closed Thread