HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Garrison could command 5 million

Old
06-21-2012, 08:20 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf For Life View Post
No team is that stupid or desperate for a defensemen gotten over thirty points once. Right?
*in strolls Garth Snow...*

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:46 AM
KapG

5 mil per year for Garrison?

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:00 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
*in strolls Garth Snow...*
There's got to be some kind of Dale Tallon joke in there someplace.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Jahodac

Paul Martin's contract isn't looking so bad now

Maybe 4m but 5m is a little too much.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Garrison reminds me of McCabe. Oh boy...
In what way are those two similar? Other than playing hockey professionally of course.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
luongo321

I see this as a 5 mill for panthers and other teams that i don't want to play for, but that he'll take a discount to play for vancouver type of situation. 3.5-75 max or adios garrison.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Well, looks like he's going to get overpaid by at least a million, and it doesn't look like he'll be a Panther at this point. Disappointing, but oh well.

I think he'll still play very well and will be liked wherever he goes, he's a good player, but...

06-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
I see this as a 5 mill for panthers and other teams that i don't want to play for, but that he'll take a discount to play for vancouver type of situation. 3.5-75 max or adios garrison.
Yeah, you keep seeing it that way.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
I doubt it. I bet Garrison get's offers $500k overtop of what Dreger mentioned and that he'd give the Canucks a discount of no more than a million per season.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
wow...are you kidding me?

In 2007 the Cap was 44 million. A 2.5 million dollar Dman was aprox 6.4% of your cap.

In 2012/2013 with a projected 70 million cap...the same Dman is worth 4.5 million keeping things proportional.

People need to wrap their heads around the fact that with an increasing cap..your going to have increased salaries.

You cant look at a guy like Garrison making 4.5 - 5 million and compare him to a UFA who signed 3 years ago and say "woah..see compare these guys..Garrison isn't worth 5". Things change with time.

Garrison is completely worth 4.5-5 million dollars on a deal that takes him to 31 or 32 years old. GM's know this..that's why they're GM's and you sir are not.

as added bya previous poster in this thread... if less teams are spending to the cap then before..then maybe you have to adjust the percentage down ..but i'm not sure if thats true or not..but you get my point

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:45 AM
MattFromFranklin
Fire Chiarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf For Life View Post
No team is that stupid or desperate for a defensemen gotten over thirty points once. Right?
Remember, Buffalo was willing to shell out $4.5 Million a year for 6 years to Ville Leino, after he had only 1 good year (I still think it was a product of some of the guys he was surrounded by), and the Panthers were willing to shell out some god awful contracts (particularly Jovanovski and Upshall). Anything is possible. As long as the Bruins stay away from signing average/below average players to asinine, inflated contracts, it's no skin off my nose.

MattFromFranklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Intense Rage

Quote:
What are you laughing at? You have Komisarek at 4.5mil.

Just kidding, we have Oduya for 3.4.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:13 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post
wow...are you kidding me?

In 2007 the Cap was 44 million. A 2.5 million dollar Dman was aprox 6.4% of your cap.

In 2012/2013 with a projected 70 million cap...the same Dman is worth 4.5 million keeping things proportional.

People need to wrap their heads around the fact that with an increasing cap..your going to have increased salaries.

You cant look at a guy like Garrison making 4.5 - 5 million and compare him to a UFA who signed 3 years ago and say "woah..see compare these guys..Garrison isn't worth 5". Things change with time.

Garrison is completely worth 4.5-5 million dollars on a deal that takes him to 31 or 32 years old. GM's know this..that's why they're GM's and you sir are not.

as added bya previous poster in this thread... if less teams are spending to the cap then before..then maybe you have to adjust the percentage down ..but i'm not sure if thats true or not..but you get my point
He has had ONE good season (still only 33 pts) and you think he is worth 5 million?

hahahaha

Old
06-21-2012, 11:14 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
What are you laughing at? You have Komisarek at 4.5mil.

Just kidding, we have Oduya for 3.4.
You won't find me defending that Komisarek contract lol

Old
06-21-2012, 11:15 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
He has had ONE good season (still only 33 pts) and you think he is worth 5 million?

hahahaha
Two, but nobody expects you would have noticed.

And anyway the discussion is about market value - something you and numerous other posters here don't seem to understand. Virtually every team in the league is looking for a top four defenseman (many are looking for more than one) and there are about five available.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:22 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Two, but nobody expects you would have noticed.

And anyway the discussion is about market value - something you and numerous other posters here don't seem to understand. Virtually every team in the league is looking for a top four defenseman (many are looking for more than one) and there are about five available.
so one year of 18 points with some decent periphs and a second year of 33 points with decent periphs is worth 5 million per season?

Cool

Old
06-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Why is everyone shocked? He's the 2nd best defenseman available in free agency this time around and the cap is going up again, ofcourse he could command that! He's a defenseman that plays 23+ mins per night in all situations who is just entering his prime years. There will be a number of teams lining up to pay him that.

I bet Vancouver will offer him around 4.6mil / 5 years which is exactly in line with what Bieksa and Hamhuis are getting. It's close enough to that 5mil mark that I'm sure Garrison will take it if he does indeed want to play in his home city, which I'm confident he does.

Reading through the responses above, I find it funny how people seem to think points should determine a defenseman's salary heh.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:28 AM
cgf

Quote:
so one year of 18 points with some decent periphs and a second year of 33 points with decent periphs is worth 5 million per season?

Cool
The clear cut second best Dman in UFA, who's excellent defensively, has a strong breakout pass and great slapper, is worth 4.5-5.5 per.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
If you define Garrison and his career narrowly enough it looks absurd.

That being said, if you look at the whole picture it's hard to see his play over the last couple of years as some kind of flash in the pan.

He broke into the league late, playing collegiate hockey until 23 and then playing a full year in the AHL. At age 25 he split a season with the Panthers and the Rochester Americans, making the league full time at age 26 last season. In that season he played great defensive hockey and contributed little to the offensive side of the game on a pairing with Mike Weaver. Last year at age 27 he played top pairing minutes with an elite puck mover in Brian Campbell and showed an ability to contribute offense on top of his excellent defensive play.

So we have a player that can play both side of a defense pairing, has shown over his NHL career that he is a very solid defensive player and has shown in limited opportunity that he can contribute offensively as well, has a big frame (roughly the same size as Phaneuf) and good mobility, and is just 27 and as such pretty likely to continue to improve over the near future.

He has a very brief track record but there are no real blemishes on it; it would be a risk to sign him to a multi-year deal at the kind of money top four defensemen earn these days, but I'd rather take a risk on a player with age on his side than a player whose age means they will only get worse over the term of that contract.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:41 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
Paul Martin's contract isn't looking so bad now

Maybe 4m but 5m is a little too much.
Why because of a contract that doesn't exist?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Who would you rather have for 5m? Jason Garrison or Paul Martin?

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:43 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
If you define Garrison and his career narrowly enough it looks absurd.

That being said, if you look at the whole picture it's hard to see his play over the last couple of years as some kind of flash in the pan.

He broke into the league late, playing collegiate hockey until 23 and then playing a full year in the AHL. At age 25 he split a season with the Panthers and the Rochester Americans, making the league full time at age 26 last season. In that season he played great defensive hockey and contributed little to the offensive side of the game on a pairing with Mike Weaver. Last year at age 27 he played top pairing minutes with an elite puck mover in Brian Campbell and showed an ability to contribute offense on top of his excellent defensive play.

So we have a player that can play both side of a defense pairing, has shown over his NHL career that he is a very solid defensive player and has shown in limited opportunity that he can contribute offensively as well, has a big frame (roughly the same size as Phaneuf) and good mobility, and is just 27 and as such pretty likely to continue to improve over the near future.

He has a very brief track record but there are no real blemishes on it; it would be a risk to sign him to a multi-year deal at the kind of money top four defensemen earn these days, but I'd rather take a risk on a player with age on his side than a player whose age means they will only get worse over the term of that contract.
It's the short track record that scares me to be honest with you *shrug*.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Who would you rather have for 5m? Jason Garrison or Paul Martin?
Garrison

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
You're wrong. Garrison have said several times that he'd love to comeback. And you get more money playing in Florida because of taxes. But when you look at others got this off-season already, you understand his position. With GMs throwing money after their UFAs, one the top defensemen UFA can have high demands, for then lower them.

Tallon is not gonna overpay for Garrison, when we have tons of young talented defensemen coming up. He will only be willing to spend what he think Garrison is worth. If they can't reach an agreement soon, look for Garrisons rights being traded..

Tallon understands this game and I have full faith in what he's doing.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:52 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
It's the short track record that scares me to be honest with you *shrug*.
Fair enough. On a long term deal I'd take a 27 year old with two years experience over a 33 year old with eight years, personally.

Of course there is a 27 year old with that kind of track record but someone is going to be paying him $10m next year.