Well I dont see us drafting a goalie with any of our top 4 picks at this point. We now have 3 young guns at slightly different stages of development.
I could see grabbing one later on if theres a solid choice.
Obviously it depends on what falls to us at each slot, but the first pick has to be the best available defenseman. Then the 19th you pick BPA, and hopefully one of the other top 6 or 7 dmen fall to that slot somehow haha. Would love to pick up two potential top 4 dmen with the first two picks.
I like almost everything you've got except the first second rounder I hope its Dansk or Vasilevski.
True now that I think of it and especially after the Lindback trade I'm thinking it's possible to grab Marcantuoni latter in the draft. So either Matheson or Sieloff would make me happy. Wouldn't be upset with Dansk or Vasilevski either. But I'm thinking Vasilevski would be gone by then through. But with that said I'd much rather not pick up a goalie with our seconds or first after this trade. If Murray could fall to us in the 3rd Id be very happy as well.
1. RW Nail Yakupov, Sarnia Sting (OHL)
2. D Ryan Murray, Everett Silvertips (WHL)
3. LW Filip Forsberg, Leksands (SEL)
4. D Griffin Reinhart, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
5. C Alex Galchenyuk, Sarnia Sting (OHL)
6. D Mathew Dumba, Red Deer Rebels, (WHL)
7. RW Teuvo Terravainen, Jokerit (SM-Liiga)
8. D Morgan Reilly, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
9. D Jacob Trouba, USA-U18 (USHL)
10. D Olli Maata, London Knights (OHL)
11. C Radek Faksa, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
12. C Mikhail Grigorenko, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
13. C Zemgus Girgensons, Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
14. D Cody Ceci, Ottawa 67's (OHL)
15. D Hampus Lindholm, Rogle Jr. (SWE)
16. D Slater Koekkoek, Peterborough Petes (OHL)
17. D Derrick Pouliot, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
18. RW Tom Wilson, Plymouth Whalers(OHL)
19. C Tomas Hertl, Slavia Praha (CZE)
20. C Brendan Gaunce, Belleville Bulls (OHL)
21. D Matt Finn, Guelph Storm (OHL)
22. D Brady Skjei, USA-U18 (USHL)
23. C Stefan Matteau, USA-U18 (USHL)
24. G Andrei Vasilevski, Ufa Tolpar (RUS)
25. G Malcom Subban, Belleville Bulls (OHL)
26. D Michael Matheson, Dubuque Fighting Saints(USHL)
27. RW Sebastien Collberg, Frolunda Indians(SEL)
28. C Scott Laughton, Oshawa Generals (OHL)
29. LW Tanner Pearson, Barrie Colts (OHL)
30. LW Phillip Di Giuseppe, Michigan (CCHA)
What strategy do you guys like, taking BPA or drafting for need? Isn't Yzerman's strategy to take BPA?
BPA because needs can change and, unless you're picking in the top 5, the player likely won't be ready to step in until 3-4 years down the road. Only case to draft for need is if two players at the top of the board are relatively even and one position in the organization isn't as deep as the other.
With the 10th pick no matter if it's a forward or a dman, we will get a heck of a prospect.
Personally I'd love to add a top dman to our prospect pool, but even picking BPA, odds are one of our 3 (or 4) picks in the top 60 will fill a need so I'm not too worried. The fact that this draft has soo many good defensemen in the 1st and 2nd rounds help too.