HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic players to target in free agency and trades this offseason

Old
06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Another factor to throw into any trade ideas would be having an owner willing to eat contracts. It's how we got Regehr.

I have no particular target in mind. But do the teams of any of the players many have mentioned have contracts like Kotalik's that they would want to unload. That would carry a decent amount of value in a trade.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Another factor to throw into any trade ideas would be having an owner willing to eat contracts. It's how we got Regehr.

I have no particular target in mind. But do the teams of any of the players many have mentioned have contracts like Kotalik's that they would want to unload. That would carry a decent amount of value in a trade.
I thought about that a few weeks ago... I don't see any teams with a situation like Calgary had... especially with another significant increase in the cap.

(although Boston does look to be in a pickle next year)

edit :
1 player comes to mind... Shawn Horcoff. Edmonton has to pay Hall and Eberle next summer

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:

This is one of the bigger assets we have, if we are able to take a bad contract and bury it I think it might help acquire a player.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
N.Y. Orangeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That's enough. Debate post points, not poster. Got it?

N.Y. Orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

The bottom line from this Jame/Heart pi$$ing-match is that as Jame said, Teams generally do not part with their #1C's... The exception to the rule of course would be a team entering a rebuild - and what does a rebuilding team want? a king's ransom worth of PICKS & PROSPECTS!!!

We could surely use a true #1C - however the Sabres are also terribly undersized & soft up front - Adding a power-forward should also be right up there at the top of our list...

If Bobby Ryan becomes available we NEED to part with the neccassary package (pkg posted previous looks pretty realistic) to acquire him - Guys like Bobby don't become available regularly... so unless Anaheim is calling today offering us Getzlaf or similarly Shero with Staal, there is no point sitting on those assets waiting.

As for our issues up the middle, we are likely going to have to gamble a bit & trade for a young #2C/#3C with #1 potential/upside and hope for the best (ie: Hodgson). This should cost us a lot less than a guy like Getz or Kopi, and are far more attainable in real life.

Staal - Would be ideal (not yet a #1C - has potential to achieve #1 status), however it sound like his availability is in question via Shero -

Stastny - Has tons of potential to be a true #1C - seems to have stalled a bit in COL - terrible cap-hit, has become expendable due to Duch & RoR.

Zajac - Although technically a #1 currently, the rapid development of Henrique has made Travis a sort of #1b going forward - similar to Roy with better size/physical game.

Bottom line is if a deal come along that gives Darcy the chance to improve this team as a whole, he would be stupid not to take it regardless of that players position... Buffalo is not one move away from a cup - there is a general lack of top-tier talent on this roster that needs to be addressed badly.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
This is one of the bigger assets we have, if we are able to take a bad contract and bury it I think it might help acquire a player.
I'm looking over rosters again... the only player who stands out to me as BOTH:
- A bad contract
- On a team that may need to create space

1. Shawn Horcoff
2. Tim Thomas
3. Matt Stajan
4. Steve Montador
5. Scott Gomez/Tomas Kaberle
6. Dipietro
7. Mattias Ohlund
8. Keith Ballard
9. Nik Antropov

Old
06-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Time to bring Ballard home :V

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm looking over rosters again... the only player who stands out to me as BOTH:
- A bad contract
- On a team that may need to create space

1. Shawn Horcoff
2. Tim Thomas
3. Matt Stajan
4. Steve Montador
5. Scott Gomez/Tomas Kaberle
6. Dipietro
7. Mattias Ohlund
8. Keith Ballard
9. Nik Antropov
Re: Antropov - Unclear why you feel WPG needs to clear cap space? Asking out of ignorance - not challenging you. I assume they have a stated budget well below the cap due to their rink size / gate revenue? Signing Kane long-term won't kill them; Ladd & Buff are signed long-term to good value.

I liked Antropov in Toronto and Atlanta, and while he's a few years removed from both cities, I view him as a "Zubrus-lite" big-body on the boards who will step up from time to time and play above his role. Haven't seen him more than a couple games this year for WPG, but unless he's badly on his downside, I'd be okay acquiring him. May be attractive to Antropov (with the NTC/NMC), as he gets a chance to play his last contract year for an owner who's willing to pay for UFAs. If he performs, and BUF views his skills as needed for the "3-year plan", then boom, he's re-signed as a UFA.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

How about Dubinsky? His value is at an all-time low, and the Rangers probably would like to switch out his salary to make room for whatever big name they end up landing. He seems like a reasonable acquisition target.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Re: Antropov - Unclear why you feel WPG needs to clear cap space? Asking out of ignorance - not challenging you. I assume they have a stated budget well below the cap due to their rink size / gate revenue? Signing Kane long-term won't kill them; Ladd & Buff are signed long-term to good value.

I liked Antropov in Toronto and Atlanta, and while he's a few years removed from both cities, I view him as a "Zubrus-lite" big-body on the boards who will step up from time to time and play above his role. Haven't seen him more than a couple games this year for WPG, but unless he's badly on his downside, I'd be okay acquiring him. May be attractive to Antropov (with the NTC/NMC), as he gets a chance to play his last contract year for an owner who's willing to pay for UFAs. If he performs, and BUF views his skills as needed for the "3-year plan", then boom, he's re-signed as a UFA.
good point... i have nothing
not sure why i included him... other then i was just trying to find some guys in the last year, who are a bit overpaid

Old
06-20-2012, 01:01 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
How about Dubinsky? His value is at an all-time low, and the Rangers probably would like to switch out his salary to make room for whatever big name they end up landing. He seems like a reasonable acquisition target.
I like Dubinsky. His down numbers last year aren't what one should expect from him regularly. He's a good, physical center that can play in several roles but would look particularly nice with Pominville.

I'm not sure what his value is, though. I feel like in most of the proposals he's in, he's packaged with other players in a deal for a big name. I'm not sure what his straight up value is.

I'd think 21 + Adam would entice Sather if he's looking to drop salary? We could move Roy for a similar package (I do believe he and Dubinsky's salaries are a wash).

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
The bottom line from this Jame/Heart pi$$ing-match is that as Jame said, Teams generally do not part with their #1C's... The exception to the rule of course would be a team entering a rebuild - and what does a rebuilding team want? a king's ransom worth of PICKS & PROSPECTS!!!

We could surely use a true #1C - however the Sabres are also terribly undersized & soft up front - Adding a power-forward should also be right up there at the top of our list...

If Bobby Ryan becomes available we NEED to part with the neccassary package (pkg posted previous looks pretty realistic) to acquire him - Guys like Bobby don't become available regularly... so unless Anaheim is calling today offering us Getzlaf or similarly Shero with Staal, there is no point sitting on those assets waiting.

As for our issues up the middle, we are likely going to have to gamble a bit & trade for a young #2C/#3C with #1 potential/upside and hope for the best (ie: Hodgson). This should cost us a lot less than a guy like Getz or Kopi, and are far more attainable in real life.

Staal - Would be ideal (not yet a #1C - has potential to achieve #1 status), however it sound like his availability is in question via Shero -

Stastny - Has tons of potential to be a true #1C - seems to have stalled a bit in COL - terrible cap-hit, has become expendable due to Duch & RoR.

Zajac - Although technically a #1 currently, the rapid development of Henrique has made Travis a sort of #1b going forward - similar to Roy with better size/physical game.

Bottom line is if a deal come along that gives Darcy the chance to improve this team as a whole, he would be stupid not to take it regardless of that players position... Buffalo is not one move away from a cup - there is a general lack of top-tier talent on this roster that needs to be addressed badly.
Discounting what seems like a remote possibility of Staal becoming available, if the Sabres somehow were to instead acquire Ryan and Stastny this summer while shedding Roy and keeping McNabb and Foligno in the system, it would have to rank as not only a better offseason than 2011 but one of their best ever, IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armond White View Post
This is why I think Buffalo could afford him with a draft pick, possibly #21 or 2nd rd +. I'm on the fence about whether he can truly excel as a center (he finished at LW this past season), but he'd be the poor man's option for a gritty C.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:22 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

[U]Stastny[/U] - Has tons of potential to be a true #1C - seems to have stalled a bit in COL - terrible cap-hit, has become expendable due to Duch & RoR.

Why would those two make Stastny expendable? The Avalanche are in great shape at center and aren't in any cap trouble. I don't see why they would want or need to trade Stastny.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:53 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I'm interested to see what San Jose does.

They are reportedly in the running to get Nash. If they miss out, Regier should call them dangling Pominville or Vanek to try and get one of their natural centers.

Couture is the unlikely dream scenario. Pavelski doesn't have ideal size & physicalness for what I'd like. But, he and Clowe as a package would be a nice get.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

They are reportedly in the running to get Nash. If they miss out, Regier should call them dangling Pominville or Vanek to try and get one of their natural centers.

Couture is the unlikely dream scenario. Pavelski doesn't have ideal size & physicalness for what I'd like. But, he and Clowe as a package would be a nice get.
i see marleau/thornton being asked to waive, before pavelksi is put on the block. good contract, quality player, no holes in his game... if they try to reload the thornton train one more time, and give up players like pavelski to do it... they're idiots

i agree that SJ will be an interesting team to watch on draft weekend

Old
06-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Clowe would definitely be on my radar. I've maintained for awhile the Sabres need to add a center this offseason, a powerfoward, and a 4th line banger (preferably also a center). If the Sabres can't add Bobby Ryan, then Clowe would be a fantastic option as the PF. He's older and not nearly the goal scorer Ryan is, but he's a good second liner, a big, physical body, and much more a pugilist (and a damn good one at that). He'd also cost much less, and from what San Jose fans have been saying, a legitimate option to be moved.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I'd think 21 + Adam would entice Sather if he's looking to drop salary? We could move Roy for a similar package (I do believe he and Dubinsky's salaries are a wash).
That's almost exactly what I was thinking. I would have said Luke Adam + the 42nd overall. This assumes New York has a deal lined up for a big name and wants to move out $4.2 million (I don't think they move Dubinsky out for prospects just for the heck of it).

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:12 AM
McTank

If we aquired:
Clowe
Ryan
Staal
And lost:
Pominville
Roy
Futures

I would be the happiest man

Leino-CoHo-Vanek
Ryan-Staal-Clowe
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
A skilled scoring line, a physical two-way scoring line, and a hot/cold ppg/invisible line with a little bit of grit

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Why would those two make Stastny expendable? The Avalanche are in great shape at center and aren't in any cap trouble. I don't see why they would want or need to trade Stastny.
Because internal budget teams like COL don't like paying their 3rd best pivot $6.6M/yr - especially when the other two are now RFA's (Duch & RoR) & looking for a big raise.... The Avs have other options for their 3rd line centre than PS, much, much cheaper options... I am not making this up - has been widely suggested by the Avs forum.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Imlach a cup

What would you guys think of going after JVR? And would it be worth it?

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:47 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
What would you guys think of going after JVR? And would it be worth it?
If Philly takes Leino back
Really, could be, could not. Kid has potential, but might not ever reach it. If Philly loses out on the Nash sweepstakes, we could try seeing what package they'd put together for Vanek.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Tyler2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
If Philly takes Leino back
Really, could be, could not. Kid has potential, but might not ever reach it. If Philly loses out on the Nash sweepstakes, we could try seeing what package they'd put together for Vanek.
I'd like Darcy to make some phone calls to all the teams who lose out on Nash and see what they would offer for Vanek....

Tyler2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
5 Minute Major

The Sabres don't need to trade for a 2nd line center. They already have enough of them as is.

If center is the need, it better be for a legitimate #1 guy.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
The Sabres don't need to trade for a 2nd line center. They already have enough of them as is.

If center is the need, it better be for a legitimate #1 guy.
I'd take J Staal & Kesler (IF he were healthy) on this squad any day of the week and neither guy is a real legit #1 guy.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote