HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price (UPD: McKenzie expects 6-7 years, $6-6.5m per, to be done soon)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
He is an elite goalie and he'll get an elite payoff. Toronto fans dream about having a young #1 like Price (or Halak, frankly.) However, he's still RFA so I don't really seeing it being a 10/70 kind of deal. 7/45 I could see, though.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Le CH

I think a 5 year @ $5.75M per would be a fair deal for both parties... that would mean he could sign an elite level contract when he's 30 years old if he performs on an elite level during this contract.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
He is an elite goalie and he'll get an elite payoff. Toronto fans dream about having a young #1 like Price (or Halak, frankly.) However, he's still RFA so I don't really seeing it being a 10/70 kind of deal. 7/45 I could see, though.
Elite goalies put up better numbers and steal more games. I have no doubt Price can get to the elite level but he's not there yet and he shouldn't be compensated us such until he proves that he's reached that elite level.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:24 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Really. Do we have to go through this Halak vs Price thing again? That's so 2009-2010.

Either way. Market value wise, Price is not worth 7 million. However, in the past, how often have we seen teams pay extra for potential and to buy out UFA years? If we're asking Price to forego his UFA option, we might have to pay extra for that. If the consensus between fans who are not willing to shell out the big bucks is that Price is a goalie ranked anywhere from top 5 to top 15, we're looking at goalies like Varlamov (3mil), Hiller (4.5mil), Niemi (4mil), Fleury (5.5mil), Lehtonen (4.5mil) or even Luongo (6.7mil). I consider Price conservatively superior to Lehtonen and Hiller (most definitely Niemi), which would put him in the 4.5+ range conservatively. It's even arguable that Price is above Fleury according to some fans. So that would put his comparable to roughly 5.5mil. If we're buying out UFA years, I can easily see why some fans would call for 6mil/year.
dude... it's not even close

Old
06-20-2012, 11:01 PM
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Price didn't even play 1 game in the NHL and he was already marked elite. This guy is not elite...he might be one day but I refuse to give him a elite contract. This guy is good but stop overrating him until he gets the job done. He's very good but not elite yet...

Old
06-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Lafleur's guy and others have posted similar numbers in the past, suffice to say, there is more than one poster willing to pay price over 7+ per year.

Between 5-6m is the max imo, but I wouldn't go pass 4-5 years either. I think Price will be a top 6 -10 goalie, but don't believe he's there yet. He'd be the first to be ranked so high after doing so little in his professional career. One very, very good year, surrounded by ok years.
Actually, you wrote prior to this that you felt he was lower end of the top 10, or just outside of it. That'd put him in the $5-$6m range. Some goalies that make less than $6m do so on long-term deals (Bryzgalov, Luongo). So a 5-6 year deal at $6m would probably more accurately rank Price around 8th or 9th.

And if you look to the goalie ranks in salary, there's no one making less than $5 who's proven much more than Price.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

What planet does the hockey people on this board watch is from here ? 4 years ? 5.5M ?? And you guys always whine we have no star players. Jesus Christ.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:09 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Putting a solid D group in front of him would also help his cause. Reference Jonathan Quick and the guys that he had in front of him and then compare them to our D.

Well, of course, but wouldn't this hold true for any goalie on a team with crumby d? I'm not knocking the guy at all. I like Price too, very much so, I just don't think he's come close to solidifying himself as a top 5-10 goalie in the league, I suspect he will, but all we can go off of is the data we have, not data if things were different, they're not.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:13 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Actually, you wrote prior to this that you felt he was lower end of the top 10, or just outside of it. That'd put him in the $5-$6m range. Some goalies that make less than $6m do so on long-term deals (Bryzgalov, Luongo). So a 5-6 year deal at $6m would probably more accurately rank Price around 8th or 9th.

And if you look to the goalie ranks in salary, there's no one making less than $5 who's proven much more than Price.
I'm not sure why you're mentioning this. I said that I would be happy with 5 to 5.5m. He won't be signed for under 5, but over 5.5 is an overpayment for what he has or currently brings imo. Six Million would suck, but not be terribly out of range, 7 would be absolutely terrible.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're mentioning this. I said that I would be happy with 5 to 5.5m. He won't be signed for under 5, but over 5.5 is an overpayment for what he has or currently brings imo. Six Million would suck, but not be terribly out of range, 7 would be absolutely terrible.
The problem with your logic is A-he is entering his prime B-he will be reaching his UFA years if he signs more than 2 years. So unless you just want to sign him for 1-2 years then the cap hit will end up higher than 5-5.5, probably closer to 6-6.5 if we are looking at a 5-6 or 7 year deal. When you sign a player long term you don't just do it for what he has accomplished, you do it for what you think he will accomplish and usually if he has a successful career(like Richards, Getzlaf or Perry) you will end up with him at a discount. If you sign Price for 2 years and he hits the UFa market in 2 years he may get 8-8.5/year there.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:51 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The problem with your logic is A-he is entering his prime B-he will be reaching his UFA years if he signs more than 2 years. So unless you just want to sign him for 1-2 years then the cap hit will end up higher than 5-5.5, probably closer to 6-6.5 if we are looking at a 5-6 or 7 year deal. When you sign a player long term you don't just do it for what he has accomplished, you do it for what you think he will accomplish and usually if he has a successful career(like Richards, Getzlaf or Perry) you will end up with him at a discount. If you sign Price for 2 years and he hits the UFa market in 2 years he may get 8-8.5/year there.
I would sign him for 2 years. If he wants 8-8.5m, I would say see you later. No goalie is worth 8.5 million. I'd prefer to improve the team in front of the goalie with the extra money. I'd be happy with Vokoun like stop gaps if that is the price.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I would sign him for 2 years. If he wants 8-8.5m, I would say see you later. No goalie is worth 8.5 million. I'd prefer to improve the team in front of the goalie with the extra money. I'd be happy with Vokoun like stop gaps if that is the price.
So to save 1 mil in cap hit for the next 2 years you risk letting your franchise goalie walk and having to resort to stop gaps like Tampa and Toronto have been so successful with? Doesn't seem a like a smart plan.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:01 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
8-8.5 million? Common dude, I know your username is Carey Price but try to keep the homerism under control.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
8-8.5 million? Common dude, I know your username is Carey Price but try to keep the homerism under control.
You don't think a guy like Lundquist Quick or Miller would get that much as a UFA right now? Plus you have to factor 2 more years of inflation/cap increase.

Phillie basically gave Bryzgalov 7 years and 47.5 mil as a UFA including 15 mil just this year if you take out the two "cap dropping" years at the end.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 06-21-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old
06-21-2012, 10:30 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
You don't think a guy like Lundquist Quick or Miller would get that much as a UFA right now? Plus you have to factor 2 more years of inflation/cap increase.

Phillie basically gave Bryzgalov 7 years and 47.5 mil as a UFA including 15 mil just this year if you take out the two "cap dropping" years at the end.
7 million is the top cap hit for a goalie you'll see for at least 5 years. Inflation is the only thing that'll drive that up. GM's like to screw goalie's over as much as they can financially so even if the cap goes up, you still won't see GM's giving them more than Rinne. That being said, even Rinne's contract at 7 million is ridiculous.

Last edited by nhlfan9191: 06-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
7 million is the top cap hit you'll see for at least 5 years. Inflation is the only thing that'll drive that up. GM's like to screw goalie's over as much as they can financially so even if te cap goes up, you still won't see GM's giving them more than Rinne.
If a top goalie was UFA you'd probably see it. Bryzgalov is/was not a top 5 guy and he got close to 7mil/year up front. I think Price has a chance to be as good as anybody in 2-3 years, especially if the defense improves.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:03 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
If a top goalie was UFA you'd probably see it. Bryzgalov is/was not a top 5 guy and he got close to 7mil/year up front. I think Price has a chance to be as good as anybody in 2-3 years, especially if the defense improves.
Bryzgalov should be a lesson learned. That contract is a disaster. He made 10 million this season. Honestly, if Price played for anyone but Montreal, I would be happy with 6.5 million for 6 or possibly more years. Goalies have a short shelf life here.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Bryzgalov should be a lesson learned. That contract is a disaster. He made 10 million this season. Honestly, if Price played for anyone but Montreal, I would be happy with 6.5 million for 6 or possibly more years. Goalies have a short shelf life here.
There have always been and will always bee free agent busts, it still won't stop a GM with money to spend for overpaying for a player that would normally cost 2-3 assets to acquire.

Say for example, Lundquist was a UFA this summer, you have a team like Toronto, even if they had to give him 81 mil over 9 years, it's still worth the risk because A-they address a key need and B-it saves them from trading say Gardiner and the #5 overall pick for a similar player. We overpaid for Gionta but we didn't need to use an asset like Subban, Pacioretty or Price/Halak to acquire that player either.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 06-21-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Edgy

Quote:
To me, anything over 5 to 5.5 is an over payment. Carey Price is a middle of the pack goaltender with top 5-10 upside. I would be willing to pay a bit extra for that upside.

The 10 year 70 million dollar talks around here are bordering on delusional. No thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
He hasn't earned anything over $5M but given is bargaining power I'd say he'll get close to $5.5M per.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Elite goalies put up better numbers and steal more games. I have no doubt Price can get to the elite level but he's not there yet and he shouldn't be compensated us such until he proves that he's reached that elite level.
Pretty much sums it up.

Montreal always ha a tendency to overpay players by about 1million so the 5.5-6mil range sounds just about right. As good as the guy is, he hasn't earned anything over 5mil but all things considered (bargaining power, management high on him, media circus. etc..) he'll get that small over payment.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Canadiens file for early arbitration on Price.

RealKyper:
#SNdraft #Canadiens did file early arb'on Price meaning he's not eligible for free agency. Meaning #NHL teams can't tender offer sheet.

https://twitter.com/realkyper/status/215855849632047104

06-21-2012, 12:22 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
#SNdraft. Price will sign minimum 1or 2 yr arb deal if he doesn't accept #Canadiens long term offer thats believed to be in the 40M range.
https://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper

40m range... So thats around 6-7-8 years right?

Old
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Canadiens file for early arbitration on Price.

RealKyper:
#SNdraft #Canadiens did file early arb'on Price meaning he's not eligible for free agency. Meaning #NHL teams can't tender offer sheet.

https://twitter.com/realkyper/status/215855849632047104
Smart move. Protect your most important asset and make it a priority.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Fire Julien

Eklund hearing Habs are filing for arb with Carey Price

Old
06-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Dafe

Not sure where you guys are pulling these ideas that Price is a middle of the pack goaltender, have you guys not watched the habs play the past two years? Price has been by far the best player on the team for the past two years. The kid has put up some pretty impressive numbers which seem even better when you consider the defense he's been playing behind.

I don't think he will ask for 7 mil/year, but if he does, you give it to him. After three years of Gomez how can you guys justify not giving 7 mil to the teams BEST player.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:35 PM
FlyingRat

40/8 is great, 40/7 is ok, 40/6 is a near disaster.

Closed Thread