HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues 2012 amateur draft -- Jordan Schmaltz 1st Round Pick

Old
06-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Woodlief
Sleepers

There are a ton of good candidates for this category. By Red Line's definition, a sleeper is a guy who probably won't get selected that high, but has a chance to develop into one of the better players at his position in the draft. Using that as our criteria, we would select a pair of little-known Europeans, Alexei Bereglazov and Fredric Larsson, as our sleepers.

Bereglazov is a very large man-child at 6-4, 187 pounds with a big, raw-boned frame to fill out. At that size, he exhibits pretty good footwork around the defensive end, and shoots bombs from the point as a triggerman on the power play. He doesn't use his strength to full advantage by running guys through the boards, but he will pin his man in the corners and keep the crease clear. Bereglazov has the confidence to handle and make plays with the puck, and pretty fair hockey sense as well.

Larsson came out of nowhere late in the season and was terrific in Sweden's junior under-20 playoffs for Brynas, and had scouts taking notice with his raw size and skating ability. At 6-3, 172 pounds, he's thin as a rail and lacks strength right now, but his development curve appears to be headed straight upward. He shows good poise and patience handling the puck, always skating with his head up looking to make plays, and usually makes very good decisions in puck movement. He's raw as hell, but has the kind of tools that project well down the road.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...men/55579426/1

Both of these guys, Bereglazov in particular, sound like interesting propositions...

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
This was posted by a Montreal fan about him in the prospect forums. Kind of mocking people who have him dropping. Having mono would really explain why people think he takes shifts off.

Hurts Ankle and keeps playing = He quit on his team
Gets 10p in 11 GP in the playoffs = Disappeared in the playoffs
Plays through Mono in the playoffs = Lazy Russian

I think when all is said and done he could be the best player in the whole draft. If he falls someone could get a real steal like some of the players in the past that have fell.
Or he could be a bust and this guy is just making excuses. Like I said though, the Blues are going to know a ton more about this kid an all of the others than any of us so I trust them.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Blues0307

I won't be around my computer most of tomorrow, so I thought I'd start the predictions for the Blues 1st round:

Who I think the Blues take at #25: Ludvig Bystrom
Who I want the Blues to take at #25, within reason: Tomas Hertl

Who you guys got for both questions?

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:11 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

My official hope for the draft is Stefan Matteau. I don't have a list or anything, that is just the guy that strikes me as most intriguing. Big, gritty, decent hands and skill. Seems like a low bust possibility from what I have read. Maybe not as much top potential as some other players, but hitting on our picks is important due to our limited cash flow.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I won't be around my computer most of tomorrow, so I thought I'd start the predictions for the Blues 1st round:

NHL Network mock draft had Hertl falling to The Blues at #25. So- apparently, there is a decent chance of that happening. He's supposed to go in a range from 20-27 or so. I'd be okay with landing him.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post

Hertl is the guy I want, but months ago I resigned myself to the fact we'd need to trade up to the top 20 to have a chance at getting him.

Laughton, Kerdiles or Byström is who I expect, in that order depending who is available.

I wouldn't be shocked to see us move up in the second to get Tanner Pearson either.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Alklha

So, does anything think we are going to see any significant moves today?

Also, predictions on where Yakupov and Grigorenko end up getting picked since they are the sliding talk? I still think that Yakupov goes first and I'll be surprised to see Grigorenko fall past the Leafs at #5, and no way in hell the Caps will pass on him at #11 if he somehow falls that far.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

I was going to make a GDT for the draft but I think keeping the discussion here will be just fine. Rumors are running rampart on twitter but no real mention of the Blues. Going off Army's comments I don't see any offensive additions coming but there is a rumor that Yandle is being dangled so I would have to think Army is that discussion. He and Pietrangelo would be sick together.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
taylord22

Hockeyprospect.com Final Mock

I have a lot of respect for Edwards and find it compelling that he has us taking Jankowski.

3 of their other contributors have us taking Maatta — I'd be surprised (and thrilled) if he fell to us, though. I've read where several scouts compared him (prior to the concussion) as Suter-esque; solid frame, tremendous skater. oozes hockey sense.

Last edited by taylord22: 06-22-2012 at 03:06 PM.
taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

@jprutherford: Scuttlebutt in PITT is #stlblues do have interest in Florida UFA dman Jason Garrison. To date no team has inquired about trading for rights

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
@jprutherford: Scuttlebutt in PITT is #stlblues do have interest in Florida UFA dman Jason Garrison. To date no team has inquired about trading for rights
Its cool how the team is able to let that be known without tampering during the pre-negotiation period. Of all teams, the Blues know to be careful with that stuff.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylord22 View Post
Hockeyprospect.com Final Mock

I have a lot of respect for Edwards and find it compelling that he has us taking Jankowski.

3 of their other contributors have us taking Maatta — I'd be surprised (and thrilled) if he fell to us, though. I've read where several scouts compared him (prior to the concussion) as Suter-esque; solid frame, tremendous skater. oozes hockey sense.
Some pretty out there lists, bit refreshing considering some have become very generic. I agree with you about Määttä, he will be long gone when the 25th pick comes around. Surprising that so many have Di Giuseppe going in the top 20 though.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:42 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
I'm sure I'm misunderstanding your post, but I'll say this anyway.

Speculation can come from anyone, just like we do here putting two and two together because there's a need and it seems like a good fit.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Yeah but I'd like to think that JR hears things from people more reliable than us losers.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Yeah but I'd like to think that JR hears things from people more reliable than us losers.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:12 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Draft thread time!

Regarding JR, he's not exactly dropping a bombshell with that tidbit. The Blues are obviously exploring options for top 4 LHD, and there's only so many FA options available. The only surprise would have been if they weren't interested.

The real questions are what sort of budget is the team working with, and whether or not any of those FAs are interested in playing here.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Alklha

Well Yakupov goes first. Pity, because if they had taken Murray I think things would have got very fun on the trade front inside the top 10.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:17 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Well Yakupov goes first. Pity, because if they had taken Murray I think things would have got very fun on the trade front inside the top 10.
It would have been crazy, but I don't think the Blues would have been a part of it.

I'm still shaking my head over the comment that Columbus was lucky to not get the first overall pick because there is no way they would have taken Yakupov.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:26 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
It would have been crazy, but I don't think the Blues would have been a part of it.

I'm still shaking my head over the comment that Columbus was lucky to not get the first overall pick because there is no way they would have taken Yakupov.
That struck me too. I honestly think they would have taken Yakupov if they could have.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Alklha

Exactly, even if they did want to avoid another Russian the would still have got a really nice package to even just move down to 5 or 6. They would have taken him though.

They have got Murray, and he should be outstanding for them.

I'm expecting Galchenyuk to go next.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:30 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Glad the Blues didn't trade for Ribeiro.

Last edited by PocketNines: 06-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.
PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I'm not surprised so far...NYI could screw that up though. lol

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:33 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Montreal is lucky. Galchenyuk might be the best player in this draft.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Glad the Blues didn't trade for Ribiero.
Wasn't someone I wanted, but the price was good for what he provides I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm not surprised so far...NYI could screw that up though. lol
Would be surprised if they didn't take Filip Forsberg. Grigorenko to TO.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:34 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Grigorenko is going to Toronto from the looks of it.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote