Josh Harding (3 years, $1.9M Cap Hit)

Old
06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I'd bet the Wild take a short term deal on a different ufa goalie next year over Backs, if they think Hackett isn't ready. Backs won't be back.
That would be a rather foolish thing to do, and don't see any reason why the team would be inclined to do that. There's absolutely no benefit there.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd bet the Wild take a short term deal on a different ufa goalie next year over Backs, if they think Hackett isn't ready. Backs won't be back.
well lets just say the most experienced goalie they could pick up on a short term deal.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:32 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
That would be a rather foolish thing to do, and don't see any reason why the team would be inclined to do that. There's absolutely no benefit there.
Backstrom is going to want to start, the Wild are going to give Harding a shot at the job. Backstrom isn't going to take a paycut in line to be less than Harding, the Wild will pay whoever he competes with the same or less than Harding.

It makes no sense at all based on the deal Harding just signed, Backstrom's age and salary, that Backstrom will be on this team beyond this season, no matter how much you "want" it to happen. It's just not logical.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

never know what could happen. Harding's deal have a NMC? NTC?

Old
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Backstrom is going to want to start, the Wild are going to give Harding a shot at the job. Backstrom isn't going to take a paycut in line to be less than Harding, the Wild will pay whoever he competes with the same or less than Harding.

It makes no sense at all based on the deal Harding just signed, Backstrom's age and salary, that Backstrom will be on this team beyond this season, no matter how much you "want" it to happen. It's just not logical.
The provide a logical argument against it, because you still haven't done anything other than say "nuh-uh I dun like him."

A couple people have posted sound logical reasons why he could be back.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
The provide a logical argument against it, because you still haven't done anything other than say "nuh-uh I dun like him."

A couple people have posted sound logical reasons why he could be back.
Disagree, all logic points the other way imo.

Russo tweeted that he thinks the Wild and Backstrom part ways after the season as well.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:46 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Disagree, all logic points the other way imo.

Russo tweeted that he thinks the Wild and Backstrom part ways after the season as well.
Then share this logic with us. We've described a number of reasons why he could (note, that's not will or should, but simply could) be back.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:48 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Then share this logic with us. We've described a number of reasons why he could (note, that's not will or should, but simply could) be back.
I did just a couple posts ago, but you chose to ignore those reasons...so..meh. Whatever you want to believe.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I did just a couple posts ago, but you chose to ignore those reasons...so..meh. Whatever you want to believe.
You wrote "Backstrom won't take a paycut" and that "Harding will be gifted the #1 spot." Neither of those are statements with which more than maybe 2-3 people here would agree with. Why would you say either of them, and even with those said, why would either point to him going elsewhere?

Old
06-20-2012, 08:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

if the wild lose confidence in Harding as Hacketts babysitter and Backs is available and willing why wouldn't they choose a goalie familiar with the system first? I don't think it makes sense not to start the search with Backs (or just extend him). Provided the terms are decent. Provided he's interested in working in the NHL. He's getting up there in age, and he already survived/supplanted one "goalie of the future"...i think he'd reasonably figure out that he's a stopgap insurance program and be okay with it.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:04 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Yeah, way to see what you want... I said Backstrom won't take a paycut to be in line with Harding. Not that he won't take a cut at all.

I also said they will give Harding a shot at #1, never did I say gift it to him. They would bring someone to compete.

So yeah, like I said, believe what you will, as you certainly are skewing other people's statements to allow you to.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
I think some of you are overly worried about Harding's health or ability. The Wild have to be confident in both or he would not have gotten a 3-year deal. Yeah things could go wrong, and if they do, the Wild will deal with it. Worrying about every possible scenario "if" Harding gets hurt or can't handle the load or "if" Hackett doesn't play well seems a little silly right now.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
mplspug

Personally I am a little nervous having Harding as a number 1 after next season. He stands on his head for 5 games and then falls on his butt for 5. I hope I am wrong. And I suppose it is the perfect opportunity to let Hackett at least get a lot of games, platoon as the #1 or win the starting job out right at some point in the season.

I guess I didn't put a ton of thought into it other than what he might get paid next (Backs) or if we'd keep him. It does not make sense to keep him barring something crazy like a career ending injury to Hards.

Its the same idea as them letting some RFAs go this year so they don't handcuff themselves with the prospect s because they have a few too many 1 way deals. It doesn't make sense to resign Backstrom and stunt the growth of the prospects.

mplspug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
I think some of you are overly worried about Harding's health or ability. The Wild have to be confident in both or he would not have gotten a 3-year deal. Yeah things could go wrong, and if they do, the Wild will deal with it. Worrying about every possible scenario "if" Harding gets hurt or can't handle the load or "if" Hackett doesn't play well seems a little silly right now.
people only worry "if" the player has a significant injury history or "if" the player hasn't really been tested at the NHL level. Harding. Hackett. Its more cause for concern (to me, anyway) because they're goalies. There are only two of them on the team, with a few more in NA somewhere (aeros, Solar Bears). add to that the state of our defense and the health and competency of our goalie is even more important.

edit: for clarifications sake--Harding hasn't really seen a lot of NHL ice himself, Hackett is a noob, and our defense sucks. the easiest/quickest way to make this situation better IMO is to keep on a better goalie. If our D gets upgraded significantly I won't worry as much.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
never know what could happen. Harding's deal have a NMC? NTC?
None whatsoever.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:45 AM
Sportsfan1

Still absolutely no reason to believe Backstrom will be on this team AFTER this year.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:13 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Still absolutely no reason to believe Backstrom will be on this team AFTER this year.
i agree. my first thought on learning Harding signed a 3 year deal was "Backstrom is gone." (after next year). I just think there is still room and time to squeak him in if Harding craps the bed in some way.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:16 AM
AnimalMother

Backstrom will be 35 when his next contract goes into effect (unless the Wild choose to extend him at $6M/season, doubtful). That means any contract he signs will have full effect on the team cap space even if he chooses to retire...

AnimalMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

he doesn't have to extend for $6m. Why do you think he'd ask that much?

Old
06-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
No way does Backs get 6M. GMCF would laugh in his face and show him the door if he asked for that.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
I'd guess he gets 4M per, tops. And that's adding in loyalty-bucks.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Definitely. But I don't think he'd retire on us, considering its doubtful hes in the Wilds plans after this year anyways.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Harding is probably relieved that he doesn't have to sign a new contract next summer for the first offseason in forever.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote