HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Harding (3 years, $1.9M Cap Hit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
  #176
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I'd bet the Wild take a short term deal on a different ufa goalie next year over Backs, if they think Hackett isn't ready. Backs won't be back.
That would be a rather foolish thing to do, and don't see any reason why the team would be inclined to do that. There's absolutely no benefit there.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
  #177
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,313
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I'd bet the Wild take a short term deal on a different ufa goalie next year over Backs, if they think Hackett isn't ready. Backs won't be back.
well lets just say the most experienced goalie they could pick up on a short term deal.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:32 PM
  #178
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
That would be a rather foolish thing to do, and don't see any reason why the team would be inclined to do that. There's absolutely no benefit there.
Backstrom is going to want to start, the Wild are going to give Harding a shot at the job. Backstrom isn't going to take a paycut in line to be less than Harding, the Wild will pay whoever he competes with the same or less than Harding.

It makes no sense at all based on the deal Harding just signed, Backstrom's age and salary, that Backstrom will be on this team beyond this season, no matter how much you "want" it to happen. It's just not logical.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:34 PM
  #179
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,313
vCash: 50
never know what could happen. Harding's deal have a NMC? NTC?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
  #180
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Backstrom is going to want to start, the Wild are going to give Harding a shot at the job. Backstrom isn't going to take a paycut in line to be less than Harding, the Wild will pay whoever he competes with the same or less than Harding.

It makes no sense at all based on the deal Harding just signed, Backstrom's age and salary, that Backstrom will be on this team beyond this season, no matter how much you "want" it to happen. It's just not logical.
The provide a logical argument against it, because you still haven't done anything other than say "nuh-uh I dun like him."

A couple people have posted sound logical reasons why he could be back.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
  #181
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The provide a logical argument against it, because you still haven't done anything other than say "nuh-uh I dun like him."

A couple people have posted sound logical reasons why he could be back.
Disagree, all logic points the other way imo.

Russo tweeted that he thinks the Wild and Backstrom part ways after the season as well.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:46 PM
  #182
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Disagree, all logic points the other way imo.

Russo tweeted that he thinks the Wild and Backstrom part ways after the season as well.
Then share this logic with us. We've described a number of reasons why he could (note, that's not will or should, but simply could) be back.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:48 PM
  #183
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Then share this logic with us. We've described a number of reasons why he could (note, that's not will or should, but simply could) be back.
I did just a couple posts ago, but you chose to ignore those reasons...so..meh. Whatever you want to believe.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:00 PM
  #184
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I did just a couple posts ago, but you chose to ignore those reasons...so..meh. Whatever you want to believe.
You wrote "Backstrom won't take a paycut" and that "Harding will be gifted the #1 spot." Neither of those are statements with which more than maybe 2-3 people here would agree with. Why would you say either of them, and even with those said, why would either point to him going elsewhere?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:01 PM
  #185
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,313
vCash: 50
if the wild lose confidence in Harding as Hacketts babysitter and Backs is available and willing why wouldn't they choose a goalie familiar with the system first? I don't think it makes sense not to start the search with Backs (or just extend him). Provided the terms are decent. Provided he's interested in working in the NHL. He's getting up there in age, and he already survived/supplanted one "goalie of the future"...i think he'd reasonably figure out that he's a stopgap insurance program and be okay with it.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:04 PM
  #186
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,378
vCash: 50
Yeah, way to see what you want... I said Backstrom won't take a paycut to be in line with Harding. Not that he won't take a cut at all.

I also said they will give Harding a shot at #1, never did I say gift it to him. They would bring someone to compete.

So yeah, like I said, believe what you will, as you certainly are skewing other people's statements to allow you to.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
  #187
Rabid Husky
Registered User
 
Rabid Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,936
vCash: 643
I think some of you are overly worried about Harding's health or ability. The Wild have to be confident in both or he would not have gotten a 3-year deal. Yeah things could go wrong, and if they do, the Wild will deal with it. Worrying about every possible scenario "if" Harding gets hurt or can't handle the load or "if" Hackett doesn't play well seems a little silly right now.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
  #188
mplspug
Registered User
 
mplspug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Richfield
Country: United States
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Personally I am a little nervous having Harding as a number 1 after next season. He stands on his head for 5 games and then falls on his butt for 5. I hope I am wrong. And I suppose it is the perfect opportunity to let Hackett at least get a lot of games, platoon as the #1 or win the starting job out right at some point in the season.

I guess I didn't put a ton of thought into it other than what he might get paid next (Backs) or if we'd keep him. It does not make sense to keep him barring something crazy like a career ending injury to Hards.

Its the same idea as them letting some RFAs go this year so they don't handcuff themselves with the prospect s because they have a few too many 1 way deals. It doesn't make sense to resign Backstrom and stunt the growth of the prospects.

mplspug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
  #189
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,313
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
I think some of you are overly worried about Harding's health or ability. The Wild have to be confident in both or he would not have gotten a 3-year deal. Yeah things could go wrong, and if they do, the Wild will deal with it. Worrying about every possible scenario "if" Harding gets hurt or can't handle the load or "if" Hackett doesn't play well seems a little silly right now.
people only worry "if" the player has a significant injury history or "if" the player hasn't really been tested at the NHL level. Harding. Hackett. Its more cause for concern (to me, anyway) because they're goalies. There are only two of them on the team, with a few more in NA somewhere (aeros, Solar Bears). add to that the state of our defense and the health and competency of our goalie is even more important.

edit: for clarifications sake--Harding hasn't really seen a lot of NHL ice himself, Hackett is a noob, and our defense sucks. the easiest/quickest way to make this situation better IMO is to keep on a better goalie. If our D gets upgraded significantly I won't worry as much.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:36 PM
  #190
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
never know what could happen. Harding's deal have a NMC? NTC?
None whatsoever.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:45 AM
  #191
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Still absolutely no reason to believe Backstrom will be on this team AFTER this year.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:13 AM
  #192
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,313
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Still absolutely no reason to believe Backstrom will be on this team AFTER this year.
i agree. my first thought on learning Harding signed a 3 year deal was "Backstrom is gone." (after next year). I just think there is still room and time to squeak him in if Harding craps the bed in some way.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:16 AM
  #193
AnimalMother
Registered User
 
AnimalMother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Forest Lake
Country: United States
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Backstrom will be 35 when his next contract goes into effect (unless the Wild choose to extend him at $6M/season, doubtful). That means any contract he signs will have full effect on the team cap space even if he chooses to retire...

AnimalMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
  #194
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,313
vCash: 50
he doesn't have to extend for $6m. Why do you think he'd ask that much?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:44 PM
  #195
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,006
vCash: 16145
No way does Backs get 6M. GMCF would laugh in his face and show him the door if he asked for that.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
  #196
Minnesota
Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,828
vCash: 404
I'd guess he gets 4M per, tops. And that's adding in loyalty-bucks.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:53 PM
  #197
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,006
vCash: 16145
Definitely. But I don't think he'd retire on us, considering its doubtful hes in the Wilds plans after this year anyways.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:29 PM
  #198
Engebretson
Another GopherClone
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 50
Harding is probably relieved that he doesn't have to sign a new contract next summer for the first offseason in forever.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.