HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Changing Role of Habs Defence

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2006, 11:55 AM
FisherKing

vCash: 500
Changing Role of Habs Defence

As the Habs seem to have been doing fairly well recently, with a little help from their goaltending at critical moments, I have noticed a few changes in Habs play which I thought were worth noting. Whether these changes are Carbo, Jarvis or Gainey driven, I have no idea, but I find them interesting. One thing I noticed last night, and also in the previous game, was none other than SHELDON SOURAY forechecking in the offensive zone. Streight I have noticed going very deep in the offensive zone on a couple of occasions. Now if Souray I had done this just once, I might call it a freak accident or maybe even bad judgment but Souray was forechecking deep in the offensive zone on at least 3 occasions last night and few times in the previous game as well. I also noticed that his defence position was soundly covered. Streight also has impressed me and seems to be hitting his stride - great speed, howitzer of a shot, good puckhandling and passing skills, and while he will probably never strike fear in the hearts of opposing forwards, he certainly doesn't seem to mind the physical side of the game. Anyway, it seems to me that the role of the defence on the Habs is expanding and being given much more freedom to "go on the offence". I may be wrong, but it sure looks that way to me. Just wondered if anyone esle noticed.

Cheers.

Old
04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
wade

and dandenault doesn't look lost on the ice, komisarek plays with intensity and not looking lost either... and markov.. wow does this guy have vision.. passes the puck anywhere anytime anyhow, right on the stick

Old
04-07-2006, 12:09 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Streit's shot is great. He has trouble hitting the net and he does not shoot enough.
His vision is amazing second only to Markov on the Canadiens blue line for sure.
Yeah Souray and Rivet were both forechecking hard and all of the defenseman were pinching at the right time to keep he puck in.

Old
04-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Capitano

This is one of the biggest reasons why our team has really turned itself around. Our D was so afraid to make mistakes under Julien. It was sad to watch.

People can say that Komo had a hard time because of his mom passing away, and while I do think it affected his play, I think Julien was a BIG reason why his play suffered too. He was afraid to make a mistake or he'd end up in the doghouse and in the press box.

Now he's a different player, along with the rest of our D.

Our forwards are backing them up. We are a team now.

Cap

Old
04-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Bob in Niagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
This is one of the biggest reasons why our team has really turned itself around. Our D was so afraid to make mistakes under Julien. It was sad to watch.

People can say that Komo had a hard time because of his mom passing away, and while I do think it affected his play, I think Julien was a BIG reason why his play suffered too. He was afraid to make a mistake or he'd end up in the doghouse and in the press box.

Cap
What a difference a coach makes. Julien was in over his head.

Old
04-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano

Cap
He hasn't played so hot these past 3 or so games.

Old
04-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
I'm just happy when he hits.

Cap

Old
04-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
True. I'm sure Jarvis has had a lot to say about the last few games. If he keeps taking a regular shift, he'll have the chance to work through it and apply the coaching advice.

Old
04-07-2006, 02:05 PM
znk

I guess Rick Green wasnt a good D coach.

Old
04-07-2006, 02:13 PM
CalHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
I guess Rick Green wasnt a good D coach.
Possibly...
Green himself was a stay at home defenceman who rarely strayed out of his zone.

Old
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

The big difference, besides confidence being at a season high, is there is a forward taking Souray's place when he pinches so he can afford to go deeper into the offensive zone.

Old
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Habsurd

Presumably they want to keep the forecheck applied as much as possible by having the D continue w the play (w the forward taking the d's spot) and take on the forwards role inside the offensive zone (ie. only when the d man is in "front" of the play of course) so as to avoid a break in the forecheck pressure. Is that the strategy ??

Old
04-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
The big difference now is that the defense do not have to play extremely defensively to make their sieve,... uh, I mean goaltender look good.

Closed Thread