HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Watch any classic wrestling (as in non-current) lately?

Old
06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
It's really neat to go back and watch those, isn't it? It's too bad you don't have them any more. I would recommend starting to collect again but believe me it's a lot of cash and time put into it if you want a large collection. I've spent a lot more money on collections (I collect freaking everything) than I probably should have. Thankfully my wife is understanding.
I kinda got out of watching any at all about 10 years ago. I think the last parts of my collection went around the same time. I was heavily into collecting the action figures and that got insane as well. Sounds like we're similar in that aspect, which is why I now tend to admire from afar the things that I like - instead of collecting. I know if I start, I'll just go overboard

On that note, way back in the day I used to trade recorded broadcasts of Raw and ship 'em off to Germany where I had a contact who would send me action figures in trade. I'd either collect or sell them for a bit of profit, and I'm sure he made a fortune from dubbing those tapes for everybody since Raw didn't broadcast there for weeks after the fact. Ah well, win/win.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Ball1374

Been watching a bunch of the early-90's Royal Rumbles and recently the mid-90's Survivor Series, of which 1993 was brutal except for what I thought was an entertaining first match. Always been a WCW guy (major Sting fan as a kid) and watching the first half of WCW from 1992, and late '91, is just awesome. The story line all the way to War Games was just fantastic and got me hooked as a kid

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:53 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
The Rumbles are the best things to watch. You hear some epic theme songs and laugh at some of the ole jobbers.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

1990 Royal Rumble.

My biggest mark out moment ever!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:32 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Thanks to the trading community over at Crazy Max I have picked up a lot of season sets over the last couple of months:

1986 Memphis CWA ( 29 discs ) Very Good VQ
1986 NWA World Wide Wrestling ( 26 discs ) Very Good to Very Good Plus VQ ( upgraded set released by Vintage Wrestling )

1987 NWA Pro Wrestling ( 25 discs ) Very Good to Very Good Plus VQ ( upgraded set released by Vintage Wrestling )
1987 NWA World Championship Wrestling ( 50 discs – missing 1 show ) Very Good to Very Good Plus VQ
1987 NWA World Championship Wrestling - Sunday Edition ( 20 discs ) Very Good Minus to Very Good VQ
1987 NWA World Wide Wrestling ( 24 discs ) Very Good to Very Good Plus VQ ( upgraded set released by Vintage Wrestling )

1988 Memphis CWA ( 27 discs ) Very Good to Very Good VQ
1988 NWA Pro Wrestling ( 26 discs ) Very Good to Very Good Plus VQ ( upgraded set released by Vintage Wrestling )

1990 NWA Main Event ( 26 discs ) Very Good to Very Good Plus VQ
1990 NWA Power Hour ( 24 discs ) Very Good to Very Good Plus VQ

1991 WCW Main Event ( 23 discs ) Very Good Minus to Very Good VQ ( all the non-wrestling related commercials have been edited out )
1991 WCW Power Hour ( 26 discs ) Very Good Minus to Very Good VQ
1991 WCW Pro Wrestling ( 25 discs ) Very Good Minus to Very Good VQ ( this set contains the localized shows that aired in Chicago and New York – the first 18 discs are from WGN Chicago and the last 7 discs are from WCBS New York.

As you can probably tell I am a huge NWA / WCW fan and strongly prefer their product over the WWF / WWE.

BostonBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I love watching the small territory stuff from the mid 80's. Mid South and Memphis mostly. It's all over You Tube.

I'm hopeful the WWE network shows some of this, and in a way that makes sense.
WWE doesn't own Mid-South or Memphis' Library, Bill Watts' widow owns the Mid-South Library

http://www.universalwrestling.com/

One could feasibly own all of this stuff, if they have the disposable income.

Which is good, Mid-South is my favorite territory, and WWE never shows most of the stuff in its vault.

I love those massive 30 disc season sets, allows me to experience entire years of wrestling I didn't experience (I started watching in 2005)

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I love watching the small territory stuff from the mid 80's. Mid South and Memphis mostly. It's all over You Tube.

I'm hopeful the WWE network shows some of this, and in a way that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
WWE doesn't own Mid-South or Memphis' Library, Bill Watts' widow owns the Mid-South Library

Actually it was announced a couple of weeks ago that Vince was buying the Mid-South video library.

from 411mania.com:

WWE Purchases The Bill Watts Video Library

Including Mid-South Wrestling, Mid-South's Power Pro Wrestling TV and the original Universal Wrestling Federation…

According to Pwinsider.com, WWE has acquired the Bill Watts video library. The library includes Mid-South Wrestling, Mid-South's Power Pro Wrestling TV and the original Universal Wrestling Federation.

The library was one of the largest known video collections not owned by WWE, and was actually owned by Bill Watts' ex-wife Ene as part of a divorce settlement. There had been numerous meetings and attempts to purchase the library by WWE but the two sides had been unable to come to terms. With the WWE planning the launch of the WWE Network, WWE was trying to acquire the footage to add additional material for air. WWE will officially take control of the library this week.

A source within WWE has noted that there are already discussions internally to do a DVD documentary on the promotion as well as DVDs on Ted DiBiase, Junkyard Dog and Hacksaw Duggan. All three men were huge stars for the Watts territories.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Re-watched an old tape of the Raw after Wrestlemania 18, which I attended live. Got a good chuckle when I saw myself in camera's view quite a few times. Decent card but I remember being upset that there was no dark match main event.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
Actually it was announced a couple of weeks ago that Vince was buying the Mid-South video library.

from 411mania.com:

WWE Purchases The Bill Watts Video Library

Including Mid-South Wrestling, Mid-South's Power Pro Wrestling TV and the original Universal Wrestling Federation…

According to Pwinsider.com, WWE has acquired the Bill Watts video library. The library includes Mid-South Wrestling, Mid-South's Power Pro Wrestling TV and the original Universal Wrestling Federation.

The library was one of the largest known video collections not owned by WWE, and was actually owned by Bill Watts' ex-wife Ene as part of a divorce settlement. There had been numerous meetings and attempts to purchase the library by WWE but the two sides had been unable to come to terms. With the WWE planning the launch of the WWE Network, WWE was trying to acquire the footage to add additional material for air. WWE will officially take control of the library this week.

A source within WWE has noted that there are already discussions internally to do a DVD documentary on the promotion as well as DVDs on Ted DiBiase, Junkyard Dog and Hacksaw Duggan. All three men were huge stars for the Watts territories.
Well that's a shame, the TV shows will be lost now...

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Habsfan18

Sorry guys. Site rules won't allow you listing anything for sale.

06-20-2012, 04:03 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Sorry guys. Site rules won't allow you listing anything for sale.

My bad - I'll just post the match then:

Old
06-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Joel Gertner promos.

NSFW

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:53 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 250
Power outage happened here due to the heat, so it allowed me to watch Edge/Mysterio vs. Benoit/Angle vs. Los Guerreros from Survivor Series '02 on my phone. Great match. Smackdown was the must-watch show at this time with Paul Heyman being the booking genius behind it. I give the match a ***3/4. The Guerrero's just sat back and watched Edge/Mysterio and Benoit/Angle go at it for most of the match until they picked their spots. Great stuff.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:46 PM
17futurecap

Enjoyed that match BostonBob! Thanks for sharing.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:48 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

I've spent more time than I probably realize watching matches involving 80s jobbers on youtube. I don't know why I got interested in those matches, but even though you knew the guy was gonna lose, you always hoped that this was the week that (jobber) was gonna defeat whatever big name wrestler, even if it was a non-title match.

(Riggins almost lands the Renoplex)

Last edited by iamjs: 06-20-2012 at 11:00 PM.
iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Ozz

It's funny comparing 'the old days' to recent times. There are no "nobodies" anymore. Imagine if this guy below trotted out on Raw to wrestle a mid-carder nowadays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
I've spent more time than I probably realize watching matches involving 80s jobbers on youtube. I don't know why I got interested in those matches, but even though you knew the guy was gonna lose, you always hoped that this was the week that (jobber) was gonna defeat whatever big name wrestler, even if it was a non-title match.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:04 AM
17futurecap

Saw this posted on YouTube, thought some people would enjoy. Card features:

Cm Punk Vs Raven

Samoa Joe Vs Homicide

BJ Whitmer Vs Jimmy Jacobs

The Briscoe Brothers Vs Austin Aries & Roderick Strong

Team ROH vs Team CZW

Roderick Strong VS Erick Stevens

Byran Danielson Vs Austin Aries

AJ Styles w/ Mick Foley vs Jimmy Rave

Old
06-21-2012, 08:09 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
It's funny comparing 'the old days' to recent times. There are no "nobodies" anymore. Imagine if this guy below trotted out on Raw to wrestle a mid-carder nowadays?

You gotta a problem with Rusty Brooks?

ESPN Classic has old AWA programs on late at night that if I stumble across I'll watch for nostalgia sake.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:37 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I have 100s of DVDs. Love them to death.

I just watched the Christian Cage TNA DVD the other day. And started watching Edge's DVD. The classic Edge & Christian moments make me laugh at the current state of the WWE product.

Just watched this match too.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:22 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Wright was super talented. Really fun in the ring. I love the opening sequences in that match. I think armbars/wristlocks/etc. with the showmanship is some of my favorite stuff to start a match. I loved the kips/rolls to reversals. Great stuff. I just can't get enough of it. Then they paced it very well where they sped up with the running of the ropes/etc. Really enjoyed that match. Too bad the announcers were focusing on Hogan the entire damn time.

On another note, what happened to the ole criss-cross rope running that occurred in old school wrestling. I loved that stuff. There is nothing wrong with a little athletic showmanship in a match. They could put that type of stuff in the tag matches. Have funny quick dance offs like Gabriel/Uso had at the PPV. Those are really fun and get the crowds going.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Habsfan18

Currently watching the 09/19/92 episode of WCW Saturday Night.

Speaking of WCW in 92, does anyone else LOVE the opening theme? So old school, I love it.

Starts at approximately 30 seconds.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:32 PM
17futurecap

It's sad when you hear how good Jim Ross is in all these old videos, and realize he can still be that good, and than you listen to Cole.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:41 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
It's sad when you hear how good Jim Ross is in all these old videos, and realize he can still be that good, and than you listen to Cole.
Cole can be good too. He's not Jim Ross in his prime good, but he's solid. Jim Ross hasn't been good since the late 90's anyway, IMO.

What needs to happen is there needs to be a face and heel commentator again. It works best and the commentators improve the match. Face play by play guy (I'd use Striker and Matthews) and then a colour guy as a heel (Mr. Perfect, old school Lawler, etc).

If they want to do a three man booth, I'd use an injured wrestler who can talk (think Perfect, Savage, etc).

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
17futurecap

Yea, I should have added to my post, I'm not a fan of the character WWE has Cole play. Nothing against him. He has gotten better since that feud with Lawler and the Cole Mine etc..... I couldn't stand that stuff.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 250
I watched Triple H vs. Cactus Jack inside Hell in a Cell and Edge/Mysterio vs. Benoit/Angle from No Mercy 2002.

Triple H vs. Cactus Jack - ****1/4
This entire program really solidified Triple H in that top position. This was a great Hell in a Cell match which featured an innovative spot to get out of the Hell in a Cell after the door had all those padlocks all over them. It all flowed pretty well and Foley once again bumping like a mad man, falling off the Cell through the announce table and a back body drop through the Cell roof and through the ring. Both men were awesome in this match.

Edge & Mysterio vs. Benoit & Angle - ****3/4
This, quite possibly, is the best tag team match I ever saw. Holy ****. I wish WWE put out tag team matches like this and gave it the time it got as well. This match was phenomenal. All four guys in the match were at the top of their game and there were tons of great spots. All four men were equally involved and told a really nice story. The finish with Angle and Edge reversing ankle locks was magnificent. Just a tremendous tag team match and to my best recollection, this is the best tag team match I have ever seen.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote