HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Draft Day Thread (Formerly Yakupov Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hmm, Stu tipping his hand? When asked about Galchenyuk, "Well we could use a centerman", and then talked about his drive and skill. He certainly sounded higher on Yakupov and Galchenyuk than he was on Murray. But he did say management has veto over his suggestion, although he didn't think they would use it.

If they firmly think Gally has Yakupov upside while being slightly bigger and a C, I can get behind that pick. But I sure would prefer the better bet at an elite player(Nail)
I could live with Galchenyuk at #1 but not Murray.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:51 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
Yakupov is better. The current depth chart shouldn't count for squat when making a first overall pick. Taking Murray first would be as stupid as stupid gets.
Where did I say that? i said Yaks is a better player, but the poster acted as if taking Murray would be a horrible thing. It's not like he's a stiff.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Yeah just heard that........doesn't that have to mean Yakupov?

He seems like the only player where people could come to a consensus on. If the pick was Murray, I think the scouts would be much more divided. Some saying Murray and some Yakupov
That is the thing that makes the most sense to me. I can't see how they could have a consensus about any other player from this draft. Nail is ranked 1st on every reputable scouting list.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
Where did I say that? i said Yaks is a better player, but the poster acted as if taking Murray would be a horrible thing. It's not like he's a stiff.
He is not a stiff, but it is unlikely he will be a superstar.

When you hear some scouts are as high on Reinhart as they are on Murray, what does that tell you?

Murray may not be the best defenseman drafted in 2012 when you look back five years from now.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
I don't see how that's disappointing. Murray is supremely talented, and may not do one thing that's truly elite, but does everything well. He handles himself very well, and gives 110%. Reminds me a lot of Jack Johnson, and he has "future captain" written all over him. I would take Yaks #1, but it's not like Murray is a stiff, and your defensive core isn't exactly the greatest thing since sliced bread. And if you guys miss out on Justin Schultz, it's pretty much slim pickings and as Dreger said yesterday, there's a lot of pressure on Tambo/Lowe to improve things on the defensive side if they head into next year with the same D pairings they had last year.
hey we can always make a deal with BOS for that bum Hamilton.
In 2yrs when we are closer to being a contender the value of Yakupov would not be any lower then now. We should be able to get a decent Dman for one of Hall or Yakupov then.
This draft is not about next season and Murray would not be a clear cut best Dman of this class in 2 - 5 yrs.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Good to hear.

I will play devil's advocate and say that of course they're going to say there is a "consensus" pick, in the same way that Canada is supposed to be a parliamentary democracy.

Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Sounds to me like its Nail if there is consensus among the Oiler scouts.

I think they're milking this for Oil Change.
Agreed.

This is why i was always pretty confident that the Oilers would take Yakupov.
Even if Stu preferred Murray/Reinhart, i would think that he would succomb to the Yakupov consensus unless somehow management sticks their noses in there and vetos a Yakupov consensus.

Old
plikestechno

I hope they just walk in, take Yakupov and walk out. Like when you see an unclaimed twenty on the ground, you just calmly walk up, put it in your pocket and move on. There's been too much time for everyone to talk themselves out of what should be an obvious choice and a GIFT that we were lucky to win at all.

Apparently it's down to two according to Stu. If there other guy's Galchenyuk I could live with that and understand it but not anyone else.

It'd be great if we could get another pick 7-15 and draft one of the many D-men there but I'd be over the moon with just Yakupov.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
If Yakupov is a better player, then taking Murray over him is a horrible thing. When your organization can get elite players only through the draft and they're given a gift by getting the first pick in a draft with one standout player, then they had damn well better take that player.

Anyone else is a stiff.

Old
Perfect_Drug

The only reason the Oilers would take Murray, is because the Oilers management thinks they are smarter than everyone else.

:/

This has clearly not been the case.

Old
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Gregor talked to Galchenyuk today and he said he ha snot talked to the Oilers since the combine. I can't see him being their pick.

Old
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Murray may not be the best defenseman drafted in 2012 when you look back five years from now.
There's 8-10 guys in the top 20 that could be just as good if not better. Why would we waste a high pick on that crapshoot?

Old
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
I did not say Murray would be a horrible thing but he is not a #1 overall pick. He is simply not dynamic enough. I see him more as JBo than anything. If you really have to take Murray you have to trade down and pick up another asset. I personally would take Reinhart over Murray as I see more upside there.
I would be extremely upset if we take Murray at #1 and any tolerance remaining towards Tambo from the Oilers fanbase would quickly disappear.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The suggestion that Murray is ready to play in the NHL based on his performance at the Worlds is laughable at best. That tournament is not a good gauge for how a player will perform at the NHL level (RE: Patrick O'Sullivan's annual WHC dominance and Magnus Paajarvi's WHC All-Star team nod) and hell, Murray wasn't even good in the tournament.

Old
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Gregor talked to Galchenyuk today and he said he ha snot talked to the Oilers since the combine. I can't see him being their pick.
Ugh. Other guy'd better not be Murray or Reinhart then. That's why I've avoided these boards for the past couple of months. Too much worry they'll screw this up.

If they don't want Nail, at the very least do what they do in the NBA and NFL sometimes. If Nail's the consensus 1, draft him, then shop him.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Yeah just heard that........doesn't that have to mean Yakupov?

He seems like the only player where people could come to a consensus on. If the pick was Murray, I think the scouts would be much more divided. Some saying Murray and some Yakupov
Absolutely. If every one of the Oilers scouts has the same player at #1, then it can only Yakapov. No doubt about it. They're just trying to keep everyone in suspense. It sure did sucker a lot of people on this forum.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Absolutely. If every one of the Oilers scouts has the same player at #1, then it can only Yakapov. No doubt about it. They're just trying to keep everyone in suspense. It sure did sucker a lot of people on this forum.
You have more faith in the Edmonton Oilers scouting staff than I do.

Their consensus? "We need a defencemen." "Mmmhmm, oh yes, I agree." "Yes indeed."

Old
06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
I did not say Murray would be a horrible thing but he is not a #1 overall pick. He is simply not dynamic enough. I see him more as JBo than anything. If you really have to take Murray you have to trade down and pick up another asset. I personally would take Reinhart over Murray as I see more upside there.
I would be extremely upset if we take Murray at #1 and any tolerance remaining towards Tambo from the Oilers fanbase would quickly disappear.
Agreed. When Stu said that Murray is going to project as a good top two or three D-man, that tells me he is not good enough for #1. Unless the description of Murray is SUREFIRE #1 D-man, perennial Norris candidate, I wouldn't take him at #1.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Agreed. When Stu said that Murray is going to project as a good top two or three D-man, that tells me he is not good enough for #1. Unless the description of Murray is SUREFIRE #1 D-man, perennial Norris candidate, I wouldn't take him at #1.
Lowe and Tambellini can veto MacGregor's opinion.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Anyone know when the oilers are holding the press conference today??

Old
06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Doesn't sound like they will. Lowe already has said, they have told Stu to find them the best player period and that will be the pick.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
They won't.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

If Yakupov really is the pick then I'll give the Oilers a lot of credit for confusing reliable "insiders" like Dreger.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Lowe and MacTavish can veto MacGregor's opinion.

*Fixed*

Old
06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
me too. actually, I'm kinda hoping for Galchenyuk. if Stu says he's close to Yak, go with the C.

too many people get caught up with 'he's dynamic' and mesmarized by highlight reel goals. Valuable is far more important than dynamic.

Closed Thread