HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Jordan Staal Wacky Speculation Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
We're going to find out...

Shero will inevitably offer him a contract. What Staal does when the ball is in his court will speak volumes.
If July 2nd rolls around and he isn't signed this place is going to be a nervous wreck: myself very much included. So are Shero and Staal I guess.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
People talk about Bobby Ryan's production like he's scoring a PPG. Despite playing off and on with Getzlaf and Perry, he's still only putting up:

2008-09 Anaheim Ducks NHL 64 31 26 57
2009-10 Anaheim Ducks NHL 81 35 29 64
2010-11 Anaheim Ducks NHL 82 34 37 71
2011-12 Anaheim Ducks NHL 82 31 26 57

Don't get me wrong, I'd trade Staal for him, but there's an awful lot of hyberbole being thrown around for a guy that had 7 more points than Staal in 19 more games with far superior linemates.
I might be mistaking but IIRC he doesn't play with those 2, he plays with Selanne on the 2nd line

I love Staal but if he doesn't want to stay Ryan is definitely 1 guy i'd try to get for him

Old
06-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
It's possible, but that blueline corps is absolutely atrocious. Even assuming Orpik bounces back in a huge way (which is a big assumption), having Engelland and Niskanen as our second pairing is awful.
I don't think it's a whole lot worse considering how bad Martin and Michalek can play sometimes. I think the pairing of Bortuzzo and Despres has a lot of potential. Could even throw Strait or possibly Morrow on the second pairing (next to Nisky), depending on how they look at camp. It'd be pretty green on the backend, but there still would be a lot of depth, options and potential, I think.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

How weird would it be to watch BBQ Bruce coaching Jordan Staal? In Anaheim?

Old
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I don't think it's a whole lot worse considering how bad Martin and Michalek can play sometimes. I think the pairing of Bortuzzo and Despres has a lot of potential. Could even throw Strait or possibly Morrow on the second pairing (next to Nisky), depending on how they look at camp. It'd be pretty green on the backend, but there still would be a lot of depth, options and potential, I think.
I just don't see why it would be necessary to get rid of both Martin and Michalek. We aren't THAT cap strapped. I'd move TK and/or Cooke before Michalek if we need a little more space.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I might be mistaking but IIRC he doesn't play with those 2, he plays with Selanne on the 2nd line

I love Staal but if he doesn't want to stay Ryan is definitely 1 guy i'd try to get for him
I can't say with 100% certainty, but a majority of Ryan's mins do come with those 2. He has taken some shifts on that 2nd line though, and he has also played some center too, IIRC.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Staal only makes sense for Anaheim, if their making Ryan available is a move specifically to reel in a second line center and they do already know that and at what price the can re-sign Getzlaf and Perry. In that case there is nothing uneconomical about giving Staal a million more than Roy or Pavelski or whoever else may be available. If their reason is a speculated to get deeper and cheaper, that they are going to take on a top center prospect + several other assets instead.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:56 PM
sina220*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
not a scoring winger signed for 3 years vs a center signed for 1 though.

That's also putting Staal's best year against Ryan's worst. Like I said, I think the value of the players alone is very very close. But Ryan has the much more desirable contract situation.
contract status doesn't matter nearly as much as people around here act. I just posted a list of DEADLINE deals yesterday for rentals that had great returns. Doug weight to Carolina, tkatchuk to Atlanta, hossa here, kaberle to Boston, and so on. Then add in Brent burns was just in the same situation last year and he fetched a 25 goal scorer, a legit top prospect, and a first.

Staals value as a franchise center is much higher than that of a scoring winger, regardless of contract status. And more teams are in need of a staal than a Ryan, for sure.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Even if Ryan gets time with Koivu/Selanne, those are two FAR superior players than Cooke and Kennedy. IIRC, he plays with them most of the time but does spend various shifts throughout the game with Getzlaf and Perry.

Assuming Staal could be traded straight up for either Evander Kane or Bobby Ryan, which would you guys want?

Old
06-21-2012, 01:58 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
We're going to find out...

Shero will inevitably offer him a contract. What Staal does when the ball is in his court will speak volumes.
I just don't want to end up spending most of our cap on just 3 centers. I hope Shero sees it that way too, and won't offer him the moon. We'll see...

This would all be a moo point (it's like a cows opinion ) if Staal had shown he could play wing in Bylsma's system. He never really got that shot though. If he could play wing as well as center, then I'd be all for giving him $6M+.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
cassius

Quote:
Even if Ryan gets time with Koivu/Selanne, those are two FAR superior players than Cooke and Kennedy. IIRC, he plays with them most of the time but does spend various shifts throughout the game with Getzlaf and Perry.

Assuming Staal could be traded straight up for either Evander Kane or Bobby Ryan, which would you guys want?
Tough choice - but I'd almost say Ryan just because he (1) locked up until 14-15 at a nice cap hit and (2) he has the right-hand shot that we really need to get the PP going.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
contract status doesn't matter nearly as much as people around here act. I just posted a list of DEADLINE deals yesterday for rentals that had great returns. Doug weight to Carolina, tkatchuk to Atlanta, hossa here, kaberle to Boston, and so on. Then add in Brent burns was just in the same situation last year and he fetched a 25 goal scorer, a legit top prospect, and a first.

Staals value as a franchise center is much higher than that of a scoring winger, regardless of contract status. And more teams are in need of a staal than a Ryan, for sure.
I'm not great at trade value, I just look at them based on if I would be willing to do it or not. And I'd be willing to add a little. If we wouldn't have to, great

Old
06-21-2012, 02:02 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Tough choice - but I'd almost say Ryan just because he (1) locked up until 14-15 at a nice cap hit and (2) he has the right-hand shot that we really need to get the PP going.
i'd pick Ryan aswell, plus hes signed at a good deal for 3 more seasons

Old
06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
mpp9

Ryan played a good bit of time with their rookies on their "third" line. I have little doubt he pushes 100 pts here flanking Sid and getting prime PP opportunity.

But again, if Anaheim is looking to add multiple pieces, we aren't the right trade partner.

If that's the case, we'd probably have better luck putting together a monster package of Staal++ for Perry if the Ducks can't afford his next contract.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Staal didn't spend most of last year with Cooke and Kennedy though. He spent the bulk of it with at least one of Dupuis or Sullivan and the most productive part with both.

Quote:
I honestly don't watch either enough to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post

This would all be a moo point (it's like a cows opinion ) if Staal had shown he could play wing in Bylsma's system. He never really got that shot though. If he could play wing as well as center, then I'd be all for giving him $6M+.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Good points. So...Ryan I guess. But I still don't know enough about Kane to really have a fair opinion.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
sina220*

Quote:
Well you think wrong. Martin - z to niskanen - engo is a major, major, major downgrade. Niskanen is so overrated right now its amazing. Martin, z, and Lovejoy all had injury riddled career worst years. And Orpik struggled down the stretch. Imo niskanen only looked as good because they all looked terrible. And having only 2 points more than Orpik, and 3 more than engo, while playing more games than both and seeing ample pp time is pretty bad for a "puck moving" d man.

Niskanen really isn't good enough to be a top 4 guy, offensively or defensively. And my goodness, for a small guy is he a slow skater. I will say he was very consistent this year, but considering his matchups , production, and minutes, I dont see how he was anything more than average. If he signs for anything over 2 mil I'll officially lose faith in Shero. And going with that 2 mil number, niskanen pretty much is the Kennedy of our d.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
Well you think wrong. Martin - z to niskanen - engo is a major, major, major downgrade. Niskanen is so overrated right now its amazing. Martin, z, and Lovejoy all had injury riddled career worst years. And Orpik struggled down the stretch. Imo niskanen only looked as good because they all looked terrible. And having only 2 points more than Orpik, and 3 more than engo, while playing more games than both and seeing ample pp time is pretty bad for a "puck moving" d man.

Niskanen really isn't good enough to be a top 4 guy, offensively or defensively. And my goodness, for a small guy is he a slow skater. I will say he was very consistent this year, but considering his matchups , production, and minutes, I dont see how he was anything more than average. If he signs for anything over 2 mil I'll officially lose faith in Shero. And going with that 2 mil number, niskanen pretty much is the Kennedy of our d.
I don't have a problem with Niskanen, but he is the obvious odd man out as soon as Morrow is ready to come up. I fully expect Despres to jump him in the line-up pretty quickly this year. Honestly, if he was given a roster spot Morrow probably would too.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:

As good as Kane is likely to be, I'd take Ryan. He's more proven, a RH shot, and will be money on the left wall of the PP. It's close, though.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:20 PM
PenguinTommy

I would be fine with Setoguchi + Clutterbuck + 7th overall for Staal. But if Staal for Ryan is on the table as well, there's no brainer I would take Ryan.

You just can't pass on the opportunity to get player like Bobby Ryan. I still think he's better forward than James Neal.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Quote:
I just don't see why it would be necessary to get rid of both Martin and Michalek. We aren't THAT cap strapped. I'd move TK and/or Cooke before Michalek if we need a little more space.
I thought we were a little more cap-strapped than we are. But if don't have to trade both to make those moves then I wouldn't. Or maybe we could move both of them and then sign Parise AND Suter. You don't need to tell me that's pretty unlikely, just let me live in my fantasyland for now.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I thought we were a little more cap-strapped than we are. But if don't have to trade both to make those moves then I wouldn't. Or maybe we could move both of them and then sign Parise AND Suter. You don't need to tell me that's pretty unlikely, just let me live in my fantasyland for now.
deal

Old
06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Pens1566

Dumping Martin and TK makes enough space for one of Suter/Parise.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:31 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Staal didn't spend most of last year with Cooke and Kennedy though. He spent the bulk of it with at least one of Dupuis or Sullivan and the most productive part with both.
I think my point still stands

For me, I'm taking Kane over Perry. His next contract probably won't be as much as Ryan is making now (or right around it) and he'd be a huge physical presence on a line with Sid. Plus, he's 4 years younger.

Still, you can't go wrong either way.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
I would be fine with Setoguchi + Clutterbuck + 7th overall for Staal. But if Staal for Ryan is on the table as well, there's no brainer I would take Ryan.

You just can't pass on the opportunity to get player like Bobby Ryan. I still think he's better forward than James Neal.
Again, I don't understand this. As a last resort deal, sure, but why would anyone be happy with that package for Staal? Setoguchi is a massive gamble to return to a form that wasn't even all-world anyway, and I couldn't really give a damn less about Clutterbuck and the 7th. That package does not make us a better team, barring we sign Parise or Suter in free agency.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:38 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Dumping Martin and TK makes enough space for one of Suter/Parise.
dumping Martin alone does that, not sure why people keep mentioning trading TK. not like we have a bunch of guys that can take his place lol.

Closed Thread