HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Kevin Roy - Northeastern University, NCAA (2012, 97th overall, Anaheim)

Old
06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Also, from what I can gather in this thread, he sounds like a very one-dimensional player who has questionable work ethic when it comes to the defensive side of the game. Read that he cherry-picks a lot as well.
Completely false.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Did Kerfoot commit somewhere else or something?
I've been keeping an eye on him for two seasons now and haven't seen anything besides him reportedly visiting BC, Harvard, and Yale.
There has been no commitment that I've seen. I think what the poster was hinting at is that Kerfoot's expected to return to Coquitlam for another year of BCHL hockey (according to the last I've read on him at least), so BC could make a roster spot available to Roy this season if they so desired.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Completely false.
Seriously.

I mean, did you guys see his +/- last season?

It was Jeff Schultzian!

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
Very good chance of that. He's definitely on the radar and has been for much of the year. The last time I spoke with Kevin Prednergast I got the sense that Kevin Roy was in the picture for the summer camp/trip over to Russia.

But if he's playing in the ECAC he's got almost zero chance of making the WJC team. Like Riley Nash, Louis Leblanc... those guys came to the December camp with all of 7 or 8 games played while all the CHL guys were 25-30 games deep into the season.

It's pretty tough to ask the guys from that conference to be as up to speed as the rest of the college guys and the junior players.
Thanks for the info Guy. Like you said it will be tough for him to make the WJC team but with the lack of high offensive forwards avaliable this year they may take a chance on him.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Rogie21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
There has been no commitment that I've seen. I think what the poster was hinting at is that Kerfoot's expected to return to Coquitlam for another year of BCHL hockey (according to the last I've read on him at least), so BC could make a roster spot available to Roy this season if they so desired.
BC recently added Avon D Colin Sullivan who had decommitted from Yale. So they may be without an available scholarship. Roy would be a nice get for BU, but they may need a d-man more. Marc Biega of Salisbury failed to get admitted to Harvard. He may not want to wait a year and try again.

Rogie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 08:19 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie21 View Post
BC recently added Avon D Colin Sullivan who had decommitted from Yale. So they may be without an available scholarship. Roy would be a nice get for BU, but they may need a d-man more. Marc Biega of Salisbury failed to get admitted to Harvard. He may not want to wait a year and try again.
He's not going to BU. They have 5 D returning this year now. They have higher priorities.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Joannie9

Based on his results at the combine, he seems to be in really good shape.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=80653

Joannie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Seriously.

I mean, did you guys see his +/- last season?

It was Jeff Schultzian!
You're basing a lot off one game.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
You're basing a lot off one game.
???

I saw the kid live 5 times and on the net twice...

Old
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
???

I saw the kid live 5 times and on the net twice...
Oh, my mistake. Regardless, he's got high offensive talent, if his defensive issues/cherry-picking is what you say, that's something that can be taught easier than putting up 104 points in 59 games.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:42 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Oh, my mistake. Regardless, he's got high offensive talent, if his defensive issues/cherry-picking is what you say, that's something that can be taught easier than putting up 104 points in 59 games.
Very true.

And on the flip side, if he was more defensively responsible and was using his body more...does he get that many points? Skating the entire length of the ice and throwing your body around takes ten times more out of you than only skating 60% of it.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Slick Eller

Quote:
That's more than solid, that's a record.
135pts by Tim Ferguson is the record.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
135pts by Tim Ferguson is the record.
It was the most in the USHL Tier 1 era (2002-present).

Old
06-05-2012, 07:12 PM
amjay13

i'd have no problem with the caps taking a mid-round flyer on roy. i don't suspect he'll last past the 4th round.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:03 PM
ginopuck

Kevin Roy Named USHL Player of the Year

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4408578

May 25, 2012 - United States Hockey League (USHL)

Chicago, IL - The United States Hockey League today announced that Lincoln Stars forward Kevin Roy has been selected as the 2011-12 USHL Player of the Year as determined by a vote of USHL coaches and general managers.
It was a record-breaking season for Roy as he led the USHL in scoring with 104 points (54g, 50a) playing in all but one of the 60 regular season games. His point total was the most in the USHL Tier 1 era (2002-present) and the most by a player in over two decades as John Young scored 107 points (43g, 64a) in 47 games during the 1988-89 season for the St. Paul Vulcans.

Roy was the first player in USHL Tier 1 era history to score 50 goals when he accomplished that feat on April 6th, 2012 scoring the game-winner in the 4-1 victory over the Tri-City Storm. He became the first USHL player to reach the 50-goal mark since the 1993-94 season when Mark Mowers (51) of the Dubuque Fighting Saints and Jason Blake (50) of the Waterloo Black Hawks both reached that mark. Roy finished the season with 54 goals, the most in the USHL since Mark Karpen scored 54 during the 1988-89 season for the North Iowa Huskies.

Roy, who turned 19 earlier this week, led the Lincoln Stars to a 38-18-4 record (80 points) and a first-place finish in the USHL Western Conference. The 38 wins were the most for the Stars in the past decade. Roy also led the League with a plus-44 rating, the second highest mark in USHL Tier 1 history. He finished tops in power play points with 28 (14g, 14a), first in shots (305), and tied for second in game-winning goals (7). The forward had a USHL season high 15-game point streak from February 29th to April 13th in which he produced 31 points (16g, 15a) and led the Stars to an 11-4-0 record over that span.

"For the second time this week, we have to try to find the words to describe Kevin's outstanding play this year," said USHL President and Commissioner Skip Prince. "This award annually goes not just to the League's top scorer, or its top defender, but the player who was the single greatest difference maker for his team. Kevin's body of work throughout the 2011-12 season, and the playoffs, was unmatched. Congratulations on behalf of the entire USHL to one of its great young stars."

In the playoffs, Roy had a point in all but one of his team's eight games as he led the Stars with 10 points (7g, 3a) before being eliminated in the Western Conference Final series by the Waterloo Black Hawks.

Roy will begin his college hockey career next season at Brown University. He is now preparing for the 2012 NHL Draft as he is one of the top North American prospects as rated by NHL Central Scouting. Roy will take part in the NHL Draft Combine from May 28th-June 2nd as one of 105 top players to be evaluated by NHL teams.

The native of Lac Beauport, Quebec was named USHL Forward of the Year earlier in the week. He is the fourth player in Lincoln Stars history to be named USHL Player of the Year, joining Jason Gregoire (2007-08), Ryan Potulny (2002-03), and Chris Fournier (2000-01). All three of those players also earned USHL Forward of the Year in those seasons.

ginopuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 06:20 PM
john g

he had an OK year:

2011-2012 USHL - 2012 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game Selection
USHL All-Rookie Team
USHL Best Plus/Minus (+44)
USHL First All-Star Team
USHL Forward of the Year
USHL Most Assists (50)
USHL Most Goals (54)
USHL Most Points (104)
USHL Player of the Year

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

How high can Kevin go in 2012?

Ive watched him in a few youtube videos and he is incredibly talented. Fantastic puck handling ability, fantastic touch in and around the net. He doesnt seem to be "just another prospect". He was absolutely stellar in the combine testing. How high can we see this kid going. He practically broke records in the USHL.. Zemgus grigensions and others who play in the same league, with much worse stats are rated much higher. Whats the scoop here? I know hes a 93.. but hes still a first year USHL player and managed to produce over 100 points... i must be missing something

Last edited by HockeyGuruPitka: 06-21-2012 at 03:17 PM.
HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:09 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Ive watched him in a few youtube videos and he is incredibly talented. Fantastic puck handling ability, fantastic tough in and around the net. He doesnt seem to be "just another prospect". He was absolutely stellar in the combine testing. How high can we see this kid going. He practically broke records in the USHL.. Zemgus grigensions and others who play in the same league, with much worse stats are rated much higher. Whats the scoop here? I know hes a 93.. but hes still a first year USHL player and managed to produce over 100 points... i must be missing something
The "up" is scouting isn't about stats...There's a reason a guy like Collberg, who had ZERO points this season is probably going to be a first round pick and players like Simon Gamache are nothing...

Old
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Edges7

FWIW, the talk on him is growing and he could be a late 2nd early 3rd. There is no scoring in this draft, which is why the comparisons to 1999 are being made. He scored a lot of goals and got a lot of points in a league not known for either. He's seen more and more as a Briere type - who was a 1st rounder, I might add.

As for a Girgensons comparison, they are two different players. Polar opposites.

I had an association with the organziation he landed with in the US, the Green Mountain Glades, and saw such tremendous upside in this kid as a premier power forward and not that my advice was heeded but I did mention to a friend, who happened to be the Hockey Director,that he was being ill-served playing against Empire league talent. He finished the year in the EJ, mopped up there and then made the hop to Dubuque next season and won a Clark Cup.

Roy will never be a power forward. Knowing that power forwards develop differently than a sniper/skater of Roy's ability, of course the measure of Girgensons is going to be different than Roy's. Knowing that hockey has transitioned into a strength as much as speed/sniper game, Girgensons will have a premium to him over Roy.

In other words, we know that both can score even if one does so more than the other.

So, next up, size.

To quote one homecoming queen, several waitresses, and a few ex-wives, size matters.

Girgensons wins there.

So, their ranking is the product of both the draft year and player type. I firmly believe that either of these players would be ranked lower, more so Roy, were this 2010 or even the next couple of years.

Last edited by Edges7: 06-21-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Kevin Roy confirms where he'll play in 2012-13.

07-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Mr Writer

We'll get a real indication just how good he is in about 3 weeks time when the Canada-Russia U20 Summit Series kicks off. 4 games at an elite level. If he puts up points in those 4 games, then I'd say he has a real shot being a great NCAA player, and then, who knows, a shot at a pro career..

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:31 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

I think this was a great selection for the Ducks.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

No surprise here, but numerous Twitter accounts are reporting that Kevin (and his older brother Derick) have decommitted from Brown. No word yet on where they will play this fall. My bet is that it's at a different university, and not the Q.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:46 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

But...less than a week ago, he told TPS he was staying at Brown! What will I believe?!

Old
07-23-2012, 08:55 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
But...less than a week ago, he told TPS he was staying at Brown! What will I believe?!
That's he's undecided till he steps on the ice for Brown.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote