HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XIII - UnoLussy (Mod Warning In OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
No. Nor do the fans on this message board!

Didn't say it was anything other than that, did I?

Everything from everyone is speculation at this point. I just think it would be interesting to hear what the Vancouver media is speculating. I can't see where there's anything wrong with that.
It wasn't all directly solely at you, sorry if you took it that way.

Vancouver media feels the same as the rest, they think a bad contract will have to come back...but again, it doesn't matter where the media is from, its media, anything they say is based around generating 'buzz' for their station, website, newspaper, magazine.

Ultimately they have no clue.

My biggest issue, is people taking media reports as gospel, like Damien Cox or Ian Macintire have a clue.

Media are about as knowledgable as HF fans(they just have a medium to put their speculation out there for the general public)...often times some HF posters have much more knowledge than Media members.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:57 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Why should Gillis take on garbage players with high cap hits to make a deal with Toronto? At least Luongo can actually contribute, despite the contract (which isn't bad at all). The cap hit going to both teams will probably be about the same. It's just that you're more likely to get players that can actually pitch in if you wait longer.
You can get good players, picks and/or prospects in addition to the bad contract you would have to take.

And the bad contract would be gone after 1 year.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Provost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I am no expert on the Panthers. Not even close.
But every time there has been a proposal for Bjugstad on these boards their fans have shot it down. Including when his name was brought up for Luongo a few threads ago. They seem to be higher on him than they are on Howden.
I am no expert either on their feelings... I think there are only two Panthers fans posting here and I think they are both of the opinion that Florida doesn't need to make any moves. A few threads ago they shot down any moves that involved any of their players or prospects.

I am basing my assumptions on the random media sources that keep bringing them up as interested in Luongo. It makes less sense at first blush than Toronto, which oddly makes me believe the rumours more... why would they invent that? You can easily invent Toronto because there is a glaring need for a goalie.

I guess it could just be because Luongo likes Florida and they would certainly be on his list.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
I really don't think any Luongo trade happens before Schneider gets inked to a new deal, just a feeling.
That's the thing. Pierre Lebrun said yesterday that schnieder hasn't signed a deal yet because he wants to be the clear number one goalie where he plays so he's waiting for luongo to be moved.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
What is the Vancouver media saying? I am genuinely interested in what they think of the whole situation.
Vancouver media doesn't have any sources within the Canucks org.

There hasn't been any leaks of player movements except for SamJam (who correctly predicted the Hodgson, Pahlsson and Booth deals).

The rest of our media (Vancouver Sun, Province) hasn't been much.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I posted previously that Maclean and Garrett had said that there was virtually no interest in Luongo throughout the league and most Vancouver fans here claimed Garrett was useless and then went on with their Gardiner plus the 5th nonsense.
I think only a few people in 13 threads and what 1500 posts have mentioned one of those coming back, let alone both. And even then it was for Luongo +. Please stop putting out just wrong statements like this.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk View Post
I really don't think any Luongo trade happens before Schneider gets inked to a new deal, just a feeling.
I think it is the exact opposite, no way Schneider signs, at least long term, with Luongo still there.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:02 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
That's the thing. Pierre Lebrun said yesterday that schnieder hasn't signed a deal yet because he wants to be the clear number one goalie where he plays so he's waiting for luongo to be moved.
The likely sequence, IMO, is that they agree to a deal in principle with Schneider and then move Luongo. Gillis may be just blowing smoke but it sounds like he has just started talks with Schneider. On the other hand, it's likely that a deal could be worked out fairly quickly.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I think only a few people in 13 threads and what 1500 posts have mentioned one of those coming back, let alone both. And even then it was for Luongo +. Please stop putting out just wrong statements like this.
Check out strangelove and y2canucks post', they make up most of the 5th/Gardiner talk.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Check out strangelove and y2canucks post', they make up most of the 5th/Gardiner talk.
Exactly 2 posters in 1500 posts...

Old
06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
That's unlikely. Shortly after the playoffs ended (for the Canucks), Schneider's agent acknowledged the very real possibility of negotiating a contract for Cory where both goalies would be retained into next season. Unless Schneider has had a change of heart, that's the only official statement we have on the matter.

On a purely pragmatic note, I think signing Schneider and trading Luongo are two separate situations. Tying one to the other helps neither party.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:06 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
That is just 2 posters tho. Not really a fair indication of their fan bases.
Tho y2canucks does seem to repeat it over and over.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:06 PM
SilverHaireDevil

The biggest obstacle to Florida/Vancouver Luongo deal is that the money left owing on Roberto's contract could purchase a 46% stake in the team, I for one would be uneasy trading for a player whose contract is going to cost me nearly half of what I paid for the franchise.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
The biggest obstacle to Florida/Vancouver Luongo deal is that the money left owing on Roberto's contract could purchase a 46% stake in the team, I for one would be uneasy trading for a player whose contract is going to cost me nearly half of what I paid for the franchise.
That's what I thought too. But then they did trade for Brian Campbell.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
That's unlikely. Shortly after the playoffs ended (for the Canucks), Schneider's agent acknowledged the very real possibility of negotiating a contract for Cory where both goalies would be retained into next season. Unless Schneider has had a change of heart, that's the only official statement we have on the matter.

On a purely pragmatic note, I think signing Schneider and trading Luongo are two separate situations. Tying one to the other helps neither party.
Agreed but it could also put pressure on gilles to get the luongo situation done sooner then later.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:09 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
If he filled a huge need there, I could see it. But he doesnt they have a good goalie and probably the best goaltending prospect in the world.

They may have some minor interest but much like Toronto, I just dont see them willing to pay a high price.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:10 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
That's what I thought too. But then they did trade for Brian Campbell.
And gave up very little for him. Even then they had a long way to go to hit the cap floor and had to take on a bunch of salary, that isnt the case this year.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Gilles won't demand that because he's not retarded and knows that he won't get close to that return.
Gillis has prolly already demanded that from Burkie....

Not that it matters, Gillis would just be toying with Desperate Burkie imo.

Luongo no doubt wants to return to the Panthers and Gillis will accomodate.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Zippgunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I posted previously that Maclean and Garrett had said that there was virtually no interest in Luongo throughout the league and most Vancouver fans here claimed Garrett was useless and then went on with their Gardiner plus the 5th nonsense.
Wow, if super-homer Garrett says that there's no interest then I have to believe that is the case.

Fact is that whoever takes Luongo off of Gillis' hands will be doing him a major favour and Lou's trade value will be reflected in that. The absolute last thing that Gillis wants to do is start the season with two unhappy goalies. He is not dealing from a position of strength.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Provost

Of course I will be proven wrong as soon as I post this (please... be proven wrong so this is over)... but I don't see any Luongo deal happening before July 1st.

There are a whole lot of teams not happy with their rosters right now, but each of them think they have a line on the few players that may hit the market. Many of them will be disappointed just because of the math involved.

Heck, there are reports that the Leafs are in on every player.. Nash, Parise, Suter, the 1st overall pick. Now it is impossible that they get all of them... and it is highly unlikely that they get any of those pieces. Same with most teams.

By the end of day on July 1st, Luongo will most likely be the best player available on the market at any position. A dozen teams are going to still be needing to improve their roster somehow and to most of them Luongo would be an upgrade in goal.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:15 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post

At this point after a nearly a month and 13000 posts of endless bickering I am really starting to hope this is what happens.

We can trade for Theodore and everyone will be happy.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post

When did luongo and gilles tell you this?

Old
06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
That is just 2 posters tho. Not really a fair indication of their fan bases.
Tho y2canucks does seem to repeat it over and over.
I agree, i was actually agreeing to the original post. Just it isn't all Leafs fans saying Komi and a 5th round pick.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:18 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
Of course I will be proven wrong as soon as I post this (please... be proven wrong so this is over)... but I don't see any Luongo deal happening before July 1st.

There are a whole lot of teams not happy with their rosters right now, but each of them think they have a line on the few players that may hit the market. Many of them will be disappointed just because of the math involved.

Heck, there are reports that the Leafs are in on every player.. Nash, Parise, Suter, the 1st overall pick. Now it is impossible that they get all of them... and it is highly unlikely that they get any of those pieces. Same with most teams.

By the end of day on July 1st, Luongo will most likely be the best player available on the market at any position. A dozen teams are going to still be needing to improve their roster somehow and to most of them Luongo would be an upgrade in goal.
This.
Just trade him so we can stop arguing.

And start arguing about who won the trade.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I don't see a way Florida taking Luongo back, being the budget team that they are.

Closed Thread