HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Niklas Hjalmarsson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2012, 09:37 AM
  #1
the tribute
Registered User
 
the tribute's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 743
vCash: 500
Niklas Hjalmarsson

Sens fan coming in peace, Apparently rumors say that that there may be a trade with the senators for Hjalmarsson. I wanted to get a feel for what you guys think of him as a defenseman?

what are his positives and negatives?

the tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:44 AM
  #2
Tone King
Atomic Punk
 
Tone King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Uranus
Country: United States
Posts: 8,403
vCash: 50
I would rather have Hjalmarsson over Oduya every day of the week.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
  #3
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C
 
Judrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 500
solid defensively, shot blocks like crazy, lacking any sort of offensive game at least in NHL play. Lays the boom once in a while, not nearly often enough. Instead of making the breakout pass he often just hammers (no pun intended) it off the glass for some reason.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:15 AM
  #4
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 25,027
vCash: 1868
To add to what Judrix said, Nik has a really underrated slap shot. When he actually takes a shot, it's usually a good quality shot. Only problem is 9/10 of his slap shots are ringers around the boards.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
  #5
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 500
Will be a very solid d-man once he matures a little more. I think his biggest problem still is his lack of poise with the puck... he just gets that scared 'omg it's the puck wtf do I do' look sometimes and makes bad decisions as a resut. Hell grow out of it eventually. That's my only complaint.

zytz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
  #6
ndgt10
Registered User
 
ndgt10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Poland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
One things for sure, you will see a lot more icings with him on your team.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:51 AM
  #7
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,382
vCash: 500
Not overly physical, hesitant to shoot the puck, and will get in front of anything.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:11 PM
  #8
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
He'd be great with Karlsson, perfect partner for him IMO, but we need him so I hope he stays.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:47 PM
  #9
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,046
vCash: 500
Guy I know with some connections in Ottawa saying the Sens are pushing hard for Hjalmersson. Doesn't make sense to let him go unless they are going to do what it takes to get Suter

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
  #10
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,331
vCash: 500
sign oduya, trade hammer for 2nd and 3rd rounder, fail to sign suter. I can see it now.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
  #11
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Guy I know with some connections in Ottawa saying the Sens are pushing hard for Hjalmersson. Doesn't make sense to let him go unless they are going to do what it takes to get Suter
When Bowman traded Campbell, he said he didn't like having a lot of money tied up in the D so that leads me to think he wants to trade Hjalmarsson for a forward and sign a cheap D (if at all) to replace him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
sign oduya, trade hammer for 2nd and 3rd rounder, fail to sign suter. I can see it now.
Yep, basically what I expect, a forward and a pick or just picks.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:55 PM
  #12
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 54,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Guy I know with some connections in Ottawa saying the Sens are pushing hard for Hjalmersson. Doesn't make sense to let him go unless they are going to do what it takes to get Suter
I don't get it, we have heard so many rumors, posts around here, etc trying to ship him out of town... yet never a corresponding move to replacing him. Our D as is, is a weakness. I'm not saying Hjammer is a stud or anything, but he has potential to improve, and is a solid guy to round out the top 4. Leddy ain't ready to be a top 4, and it only further pushes him into that role if we trade Hjammer, really weakening our defense. The only way I can live with Leddy in the top 4, is if he is paired with Suter. If not, our defense is even more ****ed.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
  #13
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
When Bowman traded Campbell, he said he didn't like having a lot of money tied up in the D so that leads me to think he wants to trade Hjalmarsson for a forward and sign a cheap D (if at all) to replace him.



Yep, basically what I expect, a forward and a pick or just picks.
Do you have that quote? I thought they didn't believe in spending a lot on goaltending. They need to offer Suter the Brian Campbell package...8 years, $58 mil or whatever it was.

Keith-Seabrook
Suter-Oduya
Leddy-Montador

looks a lot better. Especially if they can sign another vet D to replace Montador

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:58 PM
  #14
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
Yeah, they seem to really like Oduya-Leddy as the 2nd pairing. It actually wouldn't be so awful if you had Hammer and Montador behind them, kind of like what i would call two 2.5 pairings. At least there is some depth there. But to put Olsen-Montador behind those two, it's going to be awful.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
  #15
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Yeah, they seem to really like Oduya-Leddy as the 2nd pairing. It actually wouldn't be so awful if you had Hammer and Montador behind them, kind of like what i would call two 2.5 pairings. At least there is some depth there. But to put Olsen-Montador behind those two, it's going to be awful.
Oduya and Leddy works great vs some teams, but they get totally out muscled. I know Leddy is young but its time to stop waiting for him to grow up while this team is ready to win now.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
  #16
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,515
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Do you have that quote?
D and goaltending. It was on TV at the draft last year after Campbell was traded. He said it so smugly too, like "Heh, we don't want to have that much money tied in our D"

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
  #17
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
sign oduya, trade hammer for 2nd and 3rd rounder, fail to sign suter. I can see it now.
Olsen ends up on the Top6 if this happens.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
  #18
Tone King
Atomic Punk
 
Tone King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Uranus
Country: United States
Posts: 8,403
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
sign oduya, trade hammer for 2nd and 3rd rounder, fail to sign suter. I can see it now.
Pretty much to be expected.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:29 PM
  #19
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I don't get it, we have heard so many rumors, posts around here, etc trying to ship him out of town... yet never a corresponding move to replacing him. Our D as is, is a weakness. I'm not saying Hjammer is a stud or anything, but he has potential to improve, and is a solid guy to round out the top 4. Leddy ain't ready to be a top 4, and it only further pushes him into that role if we trade Hjammer, really weakening our defense. The only way I can live with Leddy in the top 4, is if he is paired with Suter. If not, our defense is even more ****ed.
Unless they think they saw enough of Olsen that he can replace Hjalmersson. I just really don't like a 2nd pairing of Leddy and Oduya or Oduya and Olsen.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
  #20
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 54,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Unless they think they saw enough of Olsen that he can replace Hjalmersson. I just really don't like a 2nd pairing of Leddy and Oduya or Oduya and Olsen.
I sure hope not, Olsen was pretty bad and I can't see him being anything more than a 5 or 6. Hell, even then I'd be nervous unless he were paired up with a faster and good puck moving guy like Oduya.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:36 PM
  #21
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Will be a very solid d-man once he matures a little more. I think his biggest problem still is his lack of poise with the puck... he just gets that scared 'omg it's the puck wtf do I do' look sometimes and makes bad decisions as a resut. Hell grow out of it eventually. That's my only complaint.
You gotta love those mindless flips out of the zone.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:40 PM
  #22
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,436
vCash: 1
Quality player, would want something nice back in return if we traded him (unless it's a cap clearing trade so we can sign someone like Suter, but only if we land him first so as to avoid a potential screw up as joked about above).

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:49 PM
  #23
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Not a fan of trading Hammer. He and Seabrook are the only two blueliners willing to block shots and actually hit.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:55 PM
  #24
Central PA Hawk Fan
Registered User
 
Central PA Hawk Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Not a fan of trading Hammer. He and Seabrook are the only two blueliners willing to block shots and actually hit.
The stats disagree with your assessment.

Central PA Hawk Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:14 PM
  #25
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
yeah oduya and even keith block a lot of shots too. hjalmarsson can definitely lay people out every once in a while, but he really doesn't have that many hits compared to the number of games he plays. but he does block a ton of shots like brtriad said. always willing to take one for the team. and olsen is pretty physical

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.