HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Sabres Contracts

Old
06-20-2012, 04:16 AM
heartsabres*

vCash: 500
Buffalo Sabres Contracts

Curious to what people think of the current Buffalo Sabres contracts. Who is a steal who is overpaid?

I think when Pominville signed his contract everyone here thought he was way overpaid and now a good deal

Sekera some people thought he was not worth it but was a good signing

Obviously the Leino contract is something to be debated

What about Tyler Myers and his contract that is about to kick in?

With free agency about to start and an owner who will spend what do people think of the current sabres contracts and spending to the cap but not making the playoffs?

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Wisent42

Personally, I think all professional hockey players are ridiculously overpaid, but I'm also a fan of market economy so I'll accept it.

As for the contracts. Well, signing a long term deal is always a risk I guess. You can't really tell if it was good or not until afterwards. But, my gut tells me that Myers is a reasonable contract that could turn out to be really good if he lives up to his potential. But his best year is still his rookie year when he was paired with Tallinder, so he has to start proving himself worthy. At $5,5mil, it's time to stop being just "potential".

Sekera, of course, is also a good deal. Then there's Ehrhoff, which depends on point of view. If I understand it correctly he was the third best paid player in the league last year, which is laughable. In terms of actual pay, it's stupid. Unless you've got an owner who blows money out his nose. Then it's all about cap hit and getting Ehrhoff at $4mil a year is good.

On the downside there's of course Leino. I'm also flagging for Stafford. He is to inconsistent to be worth the pay he has but again, a long term deal can't really be evaluated until the end. Or atleast at half time. McCormick is also overpaid.

And then there is Vanek. I love the guy, but his contract is not good. Still, I think he can own up to it.

There's always hard to know what players are worth. So much is about timing. Leino got his deal because it was a thin UFA year. Supply and demand. And you can always find comparison to argue why a deal is good or bad. For example. Take a look at what Philly threw at Bryzgalov and then his save percentage in the playoffs. That makes about any contract look good, doesn't it?

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:13 AM
gallagt01

It's really not my place to judge, but based on the contracts players had/have relative to patterns in the market...

I don't think anybody hated Sekera's contract when he signed. That contract is, was and will remain to be a steal - and that's before his play this year.

Your assessment of Pominville's contract seems about right. Hecht was slightly overpaid on his last deal; Gaustad was, too.

I think Cody McCormick's deal last summer was ridiculous. It's not hefty so it's often overlooked but he's "overpaid" by quite a bit.

Myers' contract was signed based on what he's expected to accomplish. If he takes marginal steps forward in his development, he should be worth it. If the Myers we've seen for the past two seasons is the Myers we'll see for the rest of his contract, he'll be overpaid.

Leino and Vanek are obvious, but both are quality NHLers. The Vanek deal isn't nearly as bad now as it was when he originally signed it.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:02 AM
joshjull

Vaenk''s contract killed us at the time because of his actually salary in the first two years. 10mil and 8mil were enormous hits for a team with a roster budget based on actual salaries. But that's not an issue now. His cap hit is higher than I like, particularly for a winger, but it's manageable.

Leino's deal is obviously out of whack for what he did this past season. But if he gets back to anything near his Flyer days it will be an ok contract.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-20-2012 at 08:47 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Sabresfansince1980

As long as there are guaranteed contracts instead of NFL type contracts, there will be players that play for the big contract and then put their feet up for the next 3-7 seasons. It's already a gamble on draft day trying to predict how an 18 yr old will develop, but then it's a gamble on how after that kid develops successfully whether to pay him a big long-term contract. Same goes for Cup winners. The Kings will find out real quick next season who on their roster is passionate and who are good as is now that they "have their Cup".

Guaranteed contracts are bad for the sport and put GMs is a real bad spot, so there will be bad contracts on every team every year.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:19 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I can't say I'm thrilled with Leino cap-hit wise, much less actual dollars paid last year. I think we have seen a good amount of fair deals by Regier in terms of value/worth.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Sekera's pay for performance last season could make him very hard to replace but also should increase the interest in him as a trade acquisition for other teams.

Ehrhoff's cap hit and late-term structure is also a quality, "value" deal. Those two stand out as the best. Pominville's deal, given his production, checking and durability is probably third.

As for the worst... not liking McCormick's three year deal after how badly things fell apart for him last season. Concussion issues for a guy who's game is based on aggression? Leino may be right there, it depends on his play this year. The cap hit isn't bad, it's the term and bonus structure that so far has not been worth it.

06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
tsujimoto74

Agree with the above. I also think Myers' contract is solid. Given what Karlsson just inked for and what people are speculating Garrison will make, a 5.5 hit for a talent like Myers for 7 years seems like a pretty good deal.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:12 AM
allsilverdreams

to be honest i dont care to much for #23 as he was well paid and took it way to easy last year.#9 makes more than he is worth as well.with his contract exp at the end of this year he might just decide to shoot more than pass.do we hold on to him or finally start fresh and bring in some new blood.#26 is a really good player but not elite and thats what his contract states.

allsilverdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:17 AM
hockey18

when you are talking contracts, how can you not mention regehr and 4m cap hit? We can't do better then that for 4million?

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:40 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
when you are talking contracts, how can you not mention regehr and 4m cap hit? We can't do better then that for 4million?
That wasn't our contract though. Calgary gave him that deal, and we were able to get him for scraps because they wanted to shed some bad contracts. So I have no problem with it. I'm sure a vet with his leadership and shutdown skills is a good influence for the younger blueliners too (McNabb especially since he's pretty similar but with more offensive upside).

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:45 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

I'm hoping in 2014 we can re-sign Vanek to a lower cap hit.He will only be 30, still in his prime, and I wouldn't mind signing him to a 6/33 deal...a 5.5 cap hit.

As of now, Myers is overpaid.He has only one season (rookie) that makes him worth 5.5 a year.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote