HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
I feel like I heard the strap actually broke and that's why his helmet came off, but that's unsubstantiated

Old
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Let him take his time, even more so than Staal who came back too soon IMO. What better than to add blueline depth 2nd half for a playoff run, without having to trade for it.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Good for him. Looks like he's making progress.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Baby Punisher

I'm so happy Sauer is getting back to "normal" for him. I really hope this kid makes it back & can have a long career. We missed him after he was hurt.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
You think maybe with a concussion this serious he might just want to consider retiring and living a normal life... the contract he had might do the trick and your health is worth more than a hockey career...

Either way its great that he is feeling better.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:55 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

We're gonna need a lot of Sauer power if any of our D-men are traded. He really is a ROCK. He's just so solid defensively, such a pleasure to watch. Reminds me of Girardi a lot.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:16 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
Why? It was a clean hit.

We all know the first rule is to keep your head up. Still surprised AA hasn't had a concussion himself.

Glad to hear he is doing well. He is missed.
It's more the reaction afterwards--anyone with any clue had to know that Sauer was hurt but his idiot of a dad up in the stands and the laugh track that the CBC announcers made out of it kind of sticks in the craw. Phaneuf hits to hurt--I can respect that. He doesn't always back it up though and he's a sometimes headhunter. He is a faux would be tough guy.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Riverdale

Awesome news

He should take his time. Seems he is only getting better, and being able to enjoy himself doing other activities will help a lot, got to remain positive.

If he comes back, it will be great. I'm sure he wouldn't come back if he felt he couldn't play again. I wouldn't worry about him coming back if its detrimental to his health.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
As a Rangers fan I hope he returns.

But, at the same time i hope he doesn't. If he's OK now, is it worth it, to risk getting hurt again? What if the next time its a life altering head injury. Look at Boogaard.

To be honest, just enjoy life. That's more important.
Boogie was an addict deep into his addiction. I understand head trauma can lead to depression, dementia, and suicide. Respectfully I don't see what looking at Boogie has to do with Sauer besides a concussion.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yup. The issue was the helmet coming off after he hit and his head hitting the boards. If the helmet wasn't that loose, maybe it stays on.
idc how tight the helmet is, that hit was a strap breaker and the helmet would've come off anyway. kid is extremely lucky he's recovering.

i couldn't stand the toronto announcers after the hit. i'm sure phaneuf didn't intend to injure sauer. the phaneuf on the ice looked like he felt bad as hell and his pops in the crowd's sitting there clapping and smiling while sauer's laying on the ice.

thanks a lot for the update HockeyHilbilly. really glad to hear he's improving.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Gonna echo the sentiments of everyone else here...just glad he's doing OK, I was worried after the reports from a few weeks ago. Of course I'd love to see him come back to be the rock that he was on our blue line, but hockey's secondary.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Boogie was an addict deep into his addiction. I understand head trauma can lead to depression, dementia, and suicide. Respectfully I don't see what looking at Boogie has to do with Sauer besides a concussion.
If he suffers more serious head trauma, he could end up that way.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Boogaard was popping pills for a long time. He had a pain killer addiction. What does that have do with Sauer?

Old
06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Perron also doesnt play defense.
Bryce Salvador missed the entire 2010-11 season with a concussion. He suffered the concussion in training camp of 2010. Salvador wants to play another 2-3 years after playing this season with no issues.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If he suffers more serious head trauma, he could end up that way.
So could Marc Staal, Crosby, Perron, Salvador, or any of the countless other players who have dealt with a major concussion. Boogaard had several concussions before he even made it out of Juniors. Comparing Sauer to Boogie is a stretch at best.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Kershaw

Very happy for Mike and Kurt that they're both enjoying life. I hope both of them make it back to the NHL one day. They were both great defensive players that you can rely on.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Very happy for Mike and Kurt that they're both enjoying life. I hope both of them make it back to the NHL one day. They were both great defensive players that you can rely on.
Granted I'm biased in my opinion having been friends and fishing partners for years, but yeah. They both see the ice so well and stop plays before they start. It's a very under-appreciated form of the game imo.

It was good getting on the water with them again and we had a lot of fun.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:43 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Nice to finally see some news on Sauer, I really don't like how the team stays so quiet on their injured, but I understand it. They can only say so many times that there's no updated. But it would be nice to know things like where he is, and how he's doing in general, at least once a month. After Sauer went down this season it was like he was no longer a part of the team though, and that's what I don't like.

I agree with everyone in the thread though, if he can't come back because he'd rather enjoy life, then enjoy it Mike! But wow what a difference he would have made for this team in the playoffs this year, and hopefully we see him Rangers blue again soon

Old
06-21-2012, 09:48 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
Granted I'm biased in my opinion having been friends and fishing partners for years, but yeah. They both see the ice so well and stop plays before they start. It's a very under-appreciated form of the game imo.

Next time you see Mike tell him we're all pulling for him and wishing him a full recovery. We could certainly use his toughness on the blue line...but obviously hockey is secondary to one's health.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:10 PM
nyr5186

Did anyting ever happen with that get well postcard that was being developed for him a few months ago?

Old
06-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
Did anyting ever happen with that get well postcard that was being developed for him a few months ago?
Could someone please update us on this?

Old
06-21-2012, 11:22 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Sauer is still concussed?

Old
06-21-2012, 11:28 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Sauer is still concussed?
Probably. Otherwise the organization wouldn't be operating as if he's never coming back.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Affinity

If I ever see Phaneuf in real life I'm gonna punch him in the face and run away yelling "Suck it, Phaneuf!".

I really hope Michael Sauer can come back to our team someday but if it's at the expense of his health than I'd rather him live a normal life. Great to hear that he is feeling better though that's very encouraging.

Take all the time you need, buddy!

Old
06-22-2012, 03:06 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post

Not really a bias when it's true . He's a fantastic d-man. He plays D just as well as anybody else and brings more grit, too. Guy is great and I really hope he can overcome this and play for us again. We're all pulling for him.

Closed Thread