HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v19: off-season '12 - Landry Fields agrees to offer sheet (3 years, 19 million)

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 11:50 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
You know Lillard is an interesting option.

He can flat out score. Weather it's off screens, in transition, off the catch, off the dribble, pick and roll, which ever, the guy has scored from it. He also has success going to the rim. He's a good ball handler. He's athletic. He's got ridiculous 3-pt range. He also gets to the FT line and is converting 90% from there.

His primary issues are his distribution skills, competition and defense.

The good thing about his defense is he can work on it, and he has the athletic ability to be effective at it.

Regarding his distribution, I think the fact that he's played at his particular school may have effected his role as a PG. I think it called for him to be a shooter more than a distributor. I do think he needs to work on it, but I think he has the ability to be decent at it down the road.

His competition is a worry, but I think it's a matter adjusting.

He's an intriguing option IMO. I'd consider him at 8 if he was there.

06-19-2012, 12:03 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
You know Lillard is an interesting option.

He can flat out score. Weather it's off screens, in transition, off the catch, off the dribble, pick and roll, which ever, the guy has scored from it. He also has success going to the rim. He's a good ball handler. He's athletic. He's got ridiculous 3-pt range. He also gets to the FT line and is converting 90% from there.

His primary issues are his distribution skills, competition and defense.

The good thing about his defense is he can work on it, and he has the athletic ability to be effective at it.

Regarding his distribution, I think the fact that he's played at his particular school may have effected his role as a PG. I think it called for him to be a shooter more than a distributor. I do think he needs to work on it, but I think he has the ability to be decent at it down the road.

His competition is a worry, but I think it's a matter adjusting.

He's an intriguing option IMO. I'd consider him at 8 if he was there.
feels like Jerryd Bayless 2.0.

We've already got one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Why does Rivers get a rep as being a chucker? He shot 43.3% this year which seems decent for a freshman.

He did attempt a fair amount of 3's though. Nearly 5 a game.
he gets knocked for poor shot selection at times and for a tendency to try to shoot himself out of cold streaks even rather than get his teammates involved.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
he gets knocked for poor shot selection at times and for a tendency to try to shoot himself out of cold streaks even rather than get his teammates involved.
Hes got so much potential tho hard to pass that up and I think he is coachable and I have a feeling his attitude of me me me can change with proper coaching. Austin has the potential to be a star in the NBA be it at SG or even on the point. I don't think he's going to be a player who will step in and dominate but 2-3 years down the road this kid is going to make a lot of people angry they passed him up *IMO*.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Habsfan18

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-draft-options

Quote:
Hes had conversations with teams that want the pick in a package for an existing player.

A couple of players of interest that I would tell you would join our team and would have an immediate impact, which is intriguing, he said.
Quote:
Hes had conversations with teams that want the pick, offering a later pick plus a player in return.

The apprehension is you still want to retain a pick in the draft, so maybe moving back would be an option in some scenarios, he admits.
Quote:
Hes had teams willing to part with a higher pick, but the cost would be significant.

I have been offered a higher pick for a pretty significant asset, but Im not prepared to part with that asset, he said, refusing to name the asset but its not a stretch to think its 2011 first-rounder Jonas Valanciunas.

06-19-2012, 11:17 AM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

I'll guess in terms of the 3 types of offers for the pick:

1. Iggy for 8th
2. Deng + 28th(?) pick for 8th overall
3. Cleveland 4th for Valanciunas + 8th

I'm glad he hasn't done any of those, as all of them would be losses for this team imo.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Habsfan18

I think it would be a massive mistake to trade Valanciunas, even if it were to get the 2nd or 3rd overall pick.

Old
06-19-2012, 11:25 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I think it would be a massive mistake to trade Valanciunas, even if it were to get the 2nd or 3rd overall pick.
There is only one player better than JV and it's the guy going nmero uno

Old
06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
thatshype

I fully agree with the last two posters. Unless we are moving up to #1, it's not worth trading away the asset we have in Valanciunas.

Quote:

1. Iggy for 8th

I'm glad he hasn't done any of those, as all of them would be losses for this team imo.
The third option you listed is absolutely terrible for the Raps, but to be honest I'd be tempted to do the first two. Neither Deng or Iggy are a superstar that will take us to new scoring heights, but both are likely better than what we will get at 8th overall. This franchise has not shown the ability to develop raw prospects into legit talent, so acquiring players that have already been developed is not a terrible idea.

Furthermore, we already have two players on our roster that we've drafted in top-10 that need development (Valanciunas and Derozan). To me, neither Jonas or Demar can gain much with Bargnani or Calderon as leaders. IMO, we need veterans that can play starting minutes while simultaneously showing strong commitment to defense. It's the best way to get Derozan to buy into defense and to develop Valanciunas' talents.

I am, by no means, an expert on the Raps or the NBA as a whole...but on this forum I think people value picks more than they value actual players. Derozan was a pick right around where the Raps are picking this year, yet he has turned out to be a bigger project than a lot of us have hoped for. It is fully reasonable to think that the upcoming player we select will be just as much a project. There are 30 first round picks, and with the exception of the 1st pick, every one is a crapshoot. We might find a Rondo, or we might find a Thabeet. To me, if an offer for legitimate proven talent is there via trade, you take it.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:50 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...raft-version-8

ESPN Mock 8.0

The big change on this board is one that effects the Raptors. Namely that the injury red flags on Jared Sullinger, combined with poor workouts out of Perry Jones and Terrence Jones have slid them down the draft board for Golden State. As a result, Ford now predicts the Warriors might be interested in taking Waiters (who he says has shot up a lot of teams' draft boards lately) and that as a result, the Raptors would possibly end up with Lillard instead.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Eytinge

PJ3 had poor workouts? I thought he was supposed to be a tremendous athlete?

Old
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

If we do take Lillard with 8, do you guys think Philly would do something around Iggy for Davis?

I doubt Memphis would trade Gay for something like that(especially when they can get a higher pick), and the whole reason Chicago wants to trade Deng is they want Barnes.

Philly on the other hand wants to get rid of Iggy's contract from what I understand. They have Evan Turner ready to step in and take Iggy's playing time.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what other moves we'd need to make if we take Lillard at 8.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Joey24

Quote:

1. Iggy for 8th

Yikes, who at 4 is projected to be better then Val? And wasn't it said a few times that Val would be a top 2 pick if he was in this draft year. I hope BC laughed in their ear while he slammed the phone down.

As for the Dang and the 28 for the 8th men i'm not a huge Dang fan but I do think he's a good player. In saying that I don't think he brings enough to Toronto that puts them into the playoffs.

Iggy is probably going to be on a new team next year regardless. Turner looks ready to take over for Iggy, It's also going to be interesting to see what happens in Boston over the next little while.

Last edited by Joey24: 06-19-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 03:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
PJ3 had poor workouts? I thought he was supposed to be a tremendous athlete?
It's maybe not so much that the workouts were poor as it was that they failed to answer any of the question marks about him. He still seems to lack some drive and focus, and hasn't really nailed down that he can play either the SF or PF totally effectively.

But just for example, on the ESPN mocks, Jones has slid steadily from the 7th spot in earlier releases all the way down to the Magic in the late teens.

Old
06-19-2012, 03:57 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Barnes just cancelled his workout with the Kings.

Maybe got a promise?

Cleveland is the most likely choice. Maybe Charlotte surprises everyone?

Old
06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Tony Romo

to lazy to check but this was an article in philly i think as a rumour

Igoudala + 15th for Davis, Cap Filler and 8th

Old
06-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
to lazy to check but this was an article in philly i think as a rumour

Igoudala + 15th for Davis, Cap Filler and 8th
Could maybe still pick up Rivers with the 15th and if that's who the Raps covet it may be a good trade for them. I could live with this though I would rather keep Davis and move Bargs, Just me tho

Old
06-20-2012, 01:56 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Okafor and Ariza traded to the Wizards in return for Rashard Lewis.

Nothing significant but it pretty much ensures Beal will be picked by the Wizard.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:53 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Rumor has it that Lillard killed his workout with the Kings. They are seriously considering him at 5.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Eytinge

Lillard reminding me a bit of Westbrook. An athletic guard that impressed everyone during his workouts and goes higher than expected. Remember, no one had Westbrook at 4 during his draft year.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Joey24

he was still a top 10 player I think most had him going in the 6 - 8 range, so going at 4 was a bit of a jump but not as much as people make it out to be.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Rumor has it that Lillard killed his workout with the Kings. They are seriously considering him at 5.
Really unlikely, but can you imagine if one of MKG or Beal falls to us at 8?

1. New Orleans - Anthony Davis
2. Charlotte - Thomas Robinson
3. Washington - Brad Beal/MKG
4. Cleveland - Harrison Barnes
5. Sacramento - Damian Lillard
6. Portland - Andre Drummond
7. Golden State - Dion Waiters? (they apparently like Zeller but 7 would be too high for him)
8. Toronto - Brad Beal/MKG

In this scenario Golden State would be the wild card. I doubt they'd pass up a chance to get one of Beal/MKG.

Let me dream.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:06 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Really unlikely, but can you imagine if one of MKG or Beal falls to us at 8?

1. New Orleans - Anthony Davis
2. Charlotte - Thomas Robinson
3. Washington - Brad Beal/MKG
4. Cleveland - Harrison Barnes
5. Sacramento - Damian Lillard
6. Portland - Andre Drummond
7. Golden State - Dion Waiters? (they apparently like Zeller but 7 would be too high for him)
8. Toronto - Brad Beal/MKG

In this scenario Golden State would be the wild card. I doubt they'd pass up a chance to get one of Beal/MKG.

Let me dream.
I think the draft goes more like this:

1. Anthony Davis
2. Thomas Robinson
3. MKG
4. Drummond (I think Cleveland takes a centre over a small forward)
5. Lillard
6. Barnes
7. Waiters (that'd be awesome)
8. Beal

One an only hope

It'd be nice to do something like Davis + our first to Charlotte, and let them have 2 UNC guys instead of just one

Old
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Beal will go 3rd. The trade the Wizards made pretty much assures that. The real wild cards now are Cleveland at 4 and Golden State at 7, both of whom would seem likely to take one of Barnes and MKG each.

Just based on rumors, if the Lillard story turns out true, the top of the draft could look like:

1) Davis
2) Robinson
3) Beal
4) Barnes
5) Lillard
6) Drummond
7) Kidd-Gilchrist

so that would still leave the Raptors likely choosing between Waiters and Lamb.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:32 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Actually there is a rumor floating around that said it wasn't Cleveland who promised Barnes, but Charlotte.

So:

1. Davis
2. Barnes
3. Beal
4. MKG?
5. Lillard
6. Drummond
7. Waiters/Rivers
8. Hopefully Robinson if he falls

Please Sac-town, take Lillard. Robinson would be awesome to get at 8.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Actually there is a rumor floating around that said it wasn't Cleveland who promised Barnes, but Charlotte.

So:

1. Davis
2. Barnes
3. Beal
4. MKG?
5. Lillard
6. Drummond
7. Waiters/Rivers
8. Hopefully Robinson if he falls

Please Sac-town, take Lillard. Robinson would be awesome to get at 8.
I don't think Robinson gets past Golden State. They do have some bigs, but none of them are sure things to be productive over the long haul. Robinson would give them a proper frontcourt anchor.

Closed Thread