HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Offer Sheet Weber - what WOULDN'T Nashville match?

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 03:46 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Offer Sheet Weber - what WOULDN'T Nashville match?

How much do you think it would take to prevent Nashville from matching an offer sheet? A 7.8 million deal front loaded with 12 million per year for the first X number of years could prevent them from signing? It would certainly prevent them from making a profit in those years.

9 years at 7.8 million
Years 1-4 @ 12 million per
Years 5-9 @ 4.44 million per

Compensation per annual salary cap hit: $6,268,176 $7,835,219: Two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Vujtek

They would definitely match that..

However, offer him $14.06 million per year for 15 years and Weber is yours.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Krishna

I thought with offer sheets they don't have to follow the salary from year to year? Just had to equal the caphit

Old
06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
How much do you think it would take to prevent Nashville from matching an offer sheet? A 7.8 million deal front loaded with 12 million per year for the first X number of years could prevent them from signing? It would certainly prevent them from making a profit in those years.

9 years at 7.8 million

Compensation per annual salary cap hit: $6,268,176 $7,835,219: Two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick.
I believe they calculate compensation based on the first five years or the highest five which means compensation would be 4 1sts. That would certainly make Nashville consider if all they are getting is the compensation you suggested they match, keep him for a year and trade him for more than that. Even for 4 1sts they might do it.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Vajakki

Sigh, this has been discussed already.

Weber won't accept anything more than one year deal offer sheets because he doesn't want to stay in Nashville long term. That is if it gets to point that teams can start offer sheeting him.

This is not your regular RFA situation where money is the difference maker.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
9 years at 7.8 million
Not too familiar with the CBA, but isn't it if your salary is decreasing the next year, it can't be more than 50%?

Also, if you offer sheet Weber for 1 year $8+ million to poison pill them I don't think they'll match.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i think at this point, with ownership committing to spend to the cap, there's no OS they wouldn't match. IF Weber signed the OS(less likely,) nashville would simply match and thank whomever for getting a longterm deal done.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Not too familiar with the CBA, but isn't it if your salary is decreasing the next year, it can't be more than 50%?

Also, if you offer sheet Weber for 1 year $8+ million to poison pill them I don't think they'll match.
I thought it was just the first to 2nd year?

Old
06-21-2012, 03:54 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

The amount is determined by taking the total compensation due in the Offer Sheet, and dividing by the number of years specified in the Offer Sheet, or five (5) - whichever is less.

Also, you just have to match the total term and value, not structure/bonuses/clauses.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:05 PM
preds1

vCash: 1548
Philly fans certainly are persistent........

Old
06-21-2012, 04:08 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

I think that Nashville matches anything that is returning 2x 1st +2nd+3rd or less.

I think that anything offering 4 1sts they accept. I just cannot see how a team like Nashville, with their drafting history and penchant for middle of the cap budgeting, could decide to keep any one single player for more than $7.5M+ on their books when they get four 1st round picks instead.

Look at Detroit. Is Datsyuk and Zetterburg guaranteed to still be playing four years from now?

Any team could take a nosedive. Look at Anaheim, Buffalo, Washington. All teams expected to be divisional leaders last year, only Washington made the playoffs and Anaheim finished with the 6th OA.

Can you imagine if Anaheim had OS'd Stamkos last season?? Tampa sitting there with the 6th OA and three additional 1sts off a team that just finished at the bottom and isn't adding high level prospects to their pool without their 1sts for the next 3 years...

And please don't make the argument that they'd have been SC Champs with Stamkos in the line-up. My point is that teams that are projected to do really well don't always achieve that mark, even if they add "all-world" talent.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Can you imagine if Anaheim had OS'd Stamkos last season?? Tampa sitting there with the 6th OA and three additional 1sts off a team that just finished at the bottom.
No they wouldn't. Anaheim having Stamkos would change how they finished (a lot better one would assume)

Old
06-21-2012, 04:19 PM
phillyfanatic

Awesome - all good points. Thanks. Honestly, I was curious why not just ___. Now I see that if you offer sheet Weber, Nashville will just match anything. They have the player longterm or at least signed long term and then just trade him anyway to get a kings ransom.

In summary. A deal for Weber or wait until he is a UFA is the only possibility. I don't see a deal Nashville would take. Oh well

Old
06-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Vajakki

Quote:
Awesome - all good points. Thanks. Honestly, I was curious why not just ___. Now I see that if you offer sheet Weber, Nashville will just match anything. They have the player longterm or at least signed long term and then just trade him anyway to get a kings ransom.

In summary. A deal for Weber or wait until he is a UFA is the only possibility. I don't see a deal Nashville would take. Oh well
There is an option to offer sheet a 1 year deal... If Nashville matches that Weber will leave next summer for nothing (safe to say that, let's be honest) because Nashville can't trade him for a year after matching an offer sheet.

You could've just read the previous Weber threads to get this info.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Carlzner

100mil per

Old
06-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Can you imagine if Anaheim had OS'd Stamkos last season?? Tampa sitting there with the 6th OA and three additional 1sts off a team that just finished at the bottom and isn't adding high level prospects to their pool without their 1sts for the next 3 years...
I can't follow. We'd be having Steven f*ing Stamkos. I wouldn't care a day about not getting four Matt Dumbas (no offense) over the next years.

(It helps that our prospect pool is very good to begin with, but that is somewhat beside the point.)

Old
06-21-2012, 04:39 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I can't follow. We'd be having Steven f*ing Stamkos. I wouldn't care a day about not getting four Matt Dumbas (no offense) over the next years.

(It helps that our prospect pool is very good to begin with, but that is somewhat beside the point.)
Plus if you had Stamkos the Ducks likely would have finished outside of the bottom 10.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:42 PM
wickedwitch

None that any team would offer. Poile's learned his lesson.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Plus if you had Stamkos the Ducks likely would have finished outside of the bottom 10.
With a top-6 of Ryan-Stamkos-Selanne / luke warm body-getzlaf-perry... yes, I'd like to think so.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:53 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
Sigh, this has been discussed already.

Weber won't accept anything more than one year deal offer sheets because he doesn't want to stay in Nashville long term. That is if it gets to point that teams can start offer sheeting him.

This is not your regular RFA situation where money is the difference maker.
Source? Where do people get this stuff from? Is this something out of Ferris Bueller where a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy heard that Weber likes the pacific northwest and is having a kidney transplant? I just love the speculation. If Weber wanted out so bad he would ask Poile to be moved because he can't get away from Nashville fast enough.

Also, if Weber didn't want to be in Nashville why did he sign a 3 year contract 4 years ago that left him a RFA instead of an UFA? Also, why do people think that players don't like playing in Nashville? I just don't get his at all and I get so sick and tired of reading this. I'd love to read a link where players or former players have trashed Nashville as a place to play or the city for that matter.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

9 years at 7.8 million

Compensation per annual salary cap hit: $6,268,176 – $7,835,219: Two 1st’s, a 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick.
I am pretty sure that they would match that, isn't that around what they pay him now?

I don't think Weber would sign an offer sheet like that. If he was really going to sign an offer sheet he has to accept that he is giving up his UFA rights for as long as the contract is and that he has locked himself in to either the team that offer sheeted him or Nashville.

There has not been a signed offer sheet that wasn't matched for a player of Weber's stature for more than 20 years and there has never been a signed offer sheet that wasn't matched for a player of Weber's stature since they changed compensation to being only draft picks.

Let me reiterate, nothing of this magnitude has ever happened under the current formula for compensation.

It is possible it could happen of course, but it is much more likely that Weber never signs an offer sheet.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Source? Where do people get this stuff from? Is this something out of Ferris Bueller where a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy heard that Weber likes the pacific northwest and is having a kidney transplant? I just love the speculation. If Weber wanted out so bad he would ask Poile to be moved because he can't get away from Nashville fast enough.
I think you may have misread. The OP was stating that that would be the likely situation IF offer sheets were a viable approach at all. If he's not eager to leave Nashville, offer sheets don't matter 'cause he won't sign them - and if he does want to eventually leave Nashville, long-term offer sheets wouldn't be signed because Nashville would almost certainly match one way or the other. Or, IOW, there's no "magic bullet offer sheet" that gets you Shea Weber committed to your team for the next several years.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-21-2012, 05:26 PM
palindrom

They would not match a 1 years deal at 12 000 000$

He would become UFA after the year, so better take the 4 first round

Old
06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

$50m over 4 years. $12.5m cap hit.

Get four years of Weber guaranteed for the four 1st rounders you'd lose.

Closed Thread