HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal Wars - Episode V: Gronk Strikes Back, Wedding Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Darren Dreger reporting J. Staal may have spurned 10 years, $60 million from Penguins. Frontrunners if Jordan is shopped is Carolina.

Whoah if that's true. If he turned down 60 mil guaranteed, he definitely is planning on moving onto another team. Can't expect Shero to give him more than that.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

If we don't trade Staal and he walks next year, we better win the ****ing Cup.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If he's not willing to negotiate with another team this offseason, I'd say keep him for a year. What we'd get in return for one year of Staal isn't worth giving up another year with him on a Cup run.
You've got to know the coin involved. Say the offer was 10 years, 60M. Good deal. BUT, as I've argued here all along, Staal has NO incentive to sign that deal. So, he's 'not interested in signing an extension at this time'. BUT, as I've also argued here all along, if he's traded somewhere-- Carolina, Toronto, Buffalo-- and the GM says 7M per on any term you want with a prime role, and he'd get really interested in signing. That's the difference between Staal now and Staal after a trade. NOW, he's got everything to gain and almost nothing to lose by waiting. AFTER A TRADE, where the GM would be prepared to sign him to bigger dollars, Staal would have everything to gain and almost nothing to lose by signing. Another time it really sucks to be right . . .

EDIT: ****, I'm good. I guessed 10 years, 60M before seeing Sivek's post. LOL at everyone here who thought it would take under 6M.

Old
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
The big question is why did he turn it down? No one knows. How often are first offers accepted? Not very. Mountain out of a molehill.
This. Let's wait to see what it was he turned down. Perhaps he didn't like the yearly salary structure of the 10 year deal, or maybe he didn't like the overall money over the term of the deal?

It's a negotiation. I'll start to worry when I hear that Staal's camp has stopped negotiating with Shero.

Old
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Not surprised at all that Staal would turn down a 10 year deal. That's a looooong time fore someone to commi to a team he isn't sure will get him the situations he deserves. Not to mention the money he's leavin on the table in the last half of the contract.

He's much more likely to sign a 4-5 year deal at the same cap hit.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Welp bye bye Jordan

Old
06-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Yeah that's the big argument for trading him now. If he's on the team next season, every outcome outside of a Cup victory results in a huge loss of value for nothing.

Old
Karnage420

Staal rejects big time offer

Watching TSN. They just reported Staal rejected a "10 year 60million dollar contract".

Time to panic boys. This is not looking good.

Also I'm posting from my iPhone. No idea if this has been posted or not.

Old
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Whoah if that's true. If he turned down 60 mil guaranteed, he definitely is planning on moving onto another team. Can't expect Shero to give him more than that.
He could want to sign a 2-5 year deal for 6 mill, move into a bigger role, show others he's capable of leading a team, then sign for upwards of 8 mill per. Signing a 10 year deal for 60 million could be leaving a lot of money on the table. I'd say, at this point, it's more about the money long term.

Old
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Quote:
Yeah, good point. But I hate those ALL-IN modes. I hope he gets traded. He would probably resign only in Carolina, so donīt expect good value from the other teams! If Carolina offers McBain + Sutter + 8th (sad Faulk is untouchable) we probably have to take it... Bad situation to be in... Tough for Shero.

Old
gdsmack267

If Staal came out and said he wont sign any extension before his deal is up his trade value just dropped dramatically. Why would a team give up what is likely to be a first+prospect/player just so he walks out on them at seasons end?

Old
06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
Watching TSN. They just reported Staal rejected a "10 year 60million dollar contract".

Time to panic boys. This is not looking good.

Also I'm posting from my iPhone. No idea if this has been posted or not.
already posted.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:44 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

He said he doesn't want do it this summer. Maybe he doesn't want ten years either. Ten years is a long time to be locked up. Yeah it's kinda ballsy, but not really when you actually do have bargaining power. The dollar amount is irrelevant if you can get more.

Still, it's not good in terms of him staying. Just pointing out some other tidbits. Frankly I liked the packages people were throwing out there for Carolina. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we got something like that back (plus possible cap space depending on the deal).

Old
06-21-2012, 05:44 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
EDIT: ****, I'm good. I guessed 10 years, 60M before seeing Sivek's post. LOL at everyone here who thought it would take under 6M.
In fairness, nothing says it was a cap hit of 6 per. It could've been anywhere from 4-6, where he's making like 11 mill a some years.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

I lol'd

Rick_City
Would you take $6 million a year to hang out with Tyler Kennedy?
less than 1 minute ago from MetroTwit

Old
06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
In fairness, nothing says it was a cap hit of 6 per. It could've been anywhere from 4-6, where he's making like 11 mill a some years.
no matter how its structured, 60 mil over 10 years is a 6 mil cap hit.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:47 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
If Staal came out and said he wont sign any extension before his deal is up his trade value just dropped dramatically. Why would a team give up what is likely to be a first+prospect/player just so he walks out on them at seasons end?
Well yeah exactly. If this is all true his agent basically made his own makeshift limited NTC. Great move really.

Old
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Not surprised at all that Staal would turn down a 10 year deal. That's a looooong time fore someone to commi to a team he isn't sure will get him the situations he deserves. Not to mention the money he's leavin on the table in the last half of the contract.

He's much more likely to sign a 4-5 year deal at the same cap hit.

Great thought, most likely so. I'm not all that sold that Jordan wants "OUTOUTOUT!!!11", y'know. A different role, more time, more offensive responsibility perhaps. Nothing a good sit-down with Dan and Ray can't fix. (Granted it would mean he'd have to transfer to wing)

Ah I guess we'll see.

Old
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If he's not willing to negotiate with another team this offseason, I'd say keep him for a year. What we'd get in return for one year of Staal isn't worth giving up another year with him on a Cup run.
not true. minnesota got setoguchi, coyle, 1st for burns and 2nd.

getting a 3rd round pick after the season for a guy who isnt gonna re sign with us when we can get a top prospect + pick(s) maybe roster player is not smart.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
not true. minnesota got setoguchi, coyle, 1st for burns and 2nd.

getting a 3rd round pick after the season for a guy who isnt gonna re sign with us when we can get a top prospect + pick(s) maybe roster player is not smart.
ya, we'd still get a solid return.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
AgentM

Now I'm hoping Shero goes after Parise hard so that losing Staal for peanuts doesn't hurt us so badly!

Old
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
He said he doesn't want do it this summer. Maybe he doesn't want ten years either. Ten years is a long time to be locked up. Yeah it's kinda ballsy, but not really when you actually do have bargaining power. The dollar amount is irrelevant if you can get more.

Still, it's not good in terms of him staying. Just pointing out some other tidbits. Frankly I liked the packages people were throwing out there for Carolina. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we got something like that back (plus possible cap space depending on the deal).
The worry now though, which others have stated, is the fact he's linked to saying he won't sign an extension with anyone right now, with the exception of possibly being Carolina - meaning theres only a chance he'd even sign an extension with them. That puts us in a horrible position when we're negotiating what we want back in return. If Shero calls up and says I want this, this, that, and this and number 11's yours, that GM can be like, buddy... it's been said we're the only team he's going to consider signing an extension with... good luck trying to get anything as good as this and that from any of the other 28 teams in the league... if you want to do a deal, you're only getting this and that... forget about this and this.

It really feels like all the power is out of our hands at this point, unless someones REALLY desperate to take Staal for one year and give back some great return...

This sucks.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Now I'm hoping Shero goes after Parise hard so that losing Staal for peanuts doesn't hurt us so badly!
silver lining!

Old
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Darren Dreger reporting J. Staal may have spurned 10 years, $60 million from Penguins. Frontrunners if Jordan is shopped is Carolina.
This is about what I expected.....The Pens werent gonna **** around and try to piss him off by low balling him when he's got serious options. If he doesnt want 10 yrs 60 mil we gotta move him, sadly its gonna have to be to Carolina because they are probably the only team who will pay market value and not be afraid they cant re-sign him.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:50 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Wow, I'm actually glad he didn't accept that. Don't want him at more than 5.5. And 10 years is a whole lot of commitment when you don't know how the CBA is going to shake out.

Closed Thread