HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2012, 09:38 AM
  #301
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
I went to my first scrimmage last night which also happened to be the first time I've ever worn full hockey gear whilst skating!

I didn't fall over too many times, managed to remain on my feet after someone tried to check me (during a non-checking game) and even managed to get a few shots off. Its amazing how having to concentrate on the other aspects of the game makes you forget about what your feet are doing, which in turn seems to improve your skating. Oh and a stick makes an excellent third leg.

My only regret is that it has taken me until 35 to get into ice hockey.
yea i know what you mean about concentrating. i went to one stick time in full gear before jumping into a game. it was definitely a wake up call lol.

hope you had a fun time!

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:58 PM
  #302
Bud2790
Registered User
 
Bud2790's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Finally started playing hockey this summer (I'm 22)! I had never really played before, except a couple times at the outdoor rinks during winter. My skating is far from great, but I've been improving every week. Having a ton of fun, I just wish I had started earlier!

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
  #303
beth
Registered User
 
beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Seattle-area hockey people, two of my favorite coaches are putting on an adult clinic, and you should totally go to it:

http://shaunmillerhockey.com/

Quote:
ADULT HOCKEY DEVELOPMENT CLINIC

WHEN: TUESDAYS, JULY 24TH - AUGUST 28TH
WHERE: OLYMPIC VIEW ARENA
TIME: 9PM - 10PM (EXCEPT FOR 7/24 WHICH IS AT 10:15PM)

COACHES:

Erik Hanson grew up playing hockey in Seattle, was tendered by the Dubuque Fighting Saints and played in the U.S.H.L. He became a top level Junior player and was recruited by such division 1 programs as Colorado College, UMass-Lowell and University of Vermont. Erik brings over 25 years of power skating experience to the ice. He has been training hockey players for over 12 years in all aspects of the game.

Shaun Miller was born in Seattle and played juniors for 5 years with the Northwest Americans. He has experience playing in the U.S., Canada, Germany and Italy. He's has ran hockey camps for 4 years and is the head coach of the Washington Hornets, U-18 Team.

AGENDA

This 6 week clinic will focus on all fundamental aspects of the game. We will focus on the following:

- Individual Skill Set:

*Skating/Edge Control - The most important part of being an effective player.
*Shooting (stationary and deceptive methods)
*Puckhandling (open ice, one-on-one, puck protection)
*Passing (hand position, forehand/backhand, etc)

- Collective Skills and Knowledge in the Defensive, Neutral and Offensive Zones

EX: Positional Play, Simple Systems, Puck/Player Support (open ice and along the boards), forechecking and Backchecking.

We will utilize a wide range of flow and static exercises/drills to encourage the best possible developmental experience. Come ready to have some fun and get some exercise.

COST:

$210.00 - if register by 7/10
$225.00 - registered 7/11-7/17
$240.00 - registered after 7/17

Goaltenders = $120.00

*REGISTRATION/QUESTIONS:

Please contact Erik Hanson via email (ewhanson07@gmail.com) or phone (425.870.5282).

SEE YOU ON THE ICE!

I can't go since I have games on tuesday nights, but you should check it out if you can.


Last edited by beth: 06-21-2012 at 05:07 PM.
beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
  #304
clayman
Registered User
 
clayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Seattle-area hockey people, two of my favorite coaches are putting on an adult clinic, and you should totally go to it:




I can't go since I have games on tuesday nights, but you should check it out if you can.
Are your games at the Renton Ice rink? Is it all league or do they have open hockey that night also? I'm going to be in the area next week and I'd like to check it out considering I travel there alot for work..

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
  #305
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
I went to my first scrimmage last night which also happened to be the first time I've ever worn full hockey gear whilst skating!

I didn't fall over too many times, managed to remain on my feet after someone tried to check me (during a non-checking game) and even managed to get a few shots off. Its amazing how having to concentrate on the other aspects of the game makes you forget about what your feet are doing, which in turn seems to improve your skating. Oh and a stick makes an excellent third leg.

My only regret is that it has taken me until 35 to get into ice hockey.
I hear you, I played when I was kid for a few years but stopped. Started again 35 years later at age 45. But nothing to be done about it so no pt in regretting.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:34 PM
  #306
beth
Registered User
 
beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Are your games at the Renton Ice rink? Is it all league or do they have open hockey that night also? I'm going to be in the area next week and I'd like to check it out considering I travel there alot for work..
Tuesday nights I play with a summer women's league at Kingsgate in Kirkland. Check the Castle Ice calendars for both the large and small ice for when it's open for hockey.
http://www.castleice.com

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:08 PM
  #307
clayman
Registered User
 
clayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Tuesday nights I play with a summer women's league at Kingsgate in Kirkland. Check the Castle Ice calendars for both the large and small ice for when it's open for hockey.
http://www.castleice.com
Thanks! Does Kirkland have hockey most nights also, or is Castle Ice a better bet? I cover the whole state so I might try to check them all out... Thanks again!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
  #308
beth
Registered User
 
beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Thanks! Does Kirkland have hockey most nights also, or is Castle Ice a better bet? I cover the whole state so I might try to check them all out... Thanks again!
The schedule really varies - it's best to just check their websites to see when the drop-in hockey or stick-and-puck happens because it seems to change every week.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:11 PM
  #309
clayman
Registered User
 
clayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
The schedule really varies - it's best to just check their websites to see when the drop-in hockey or stick-and-puck happens because it seems to change every week.
I'll do that, Thanks!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:04 AM
  #310
SCritical
Registered User
 
SCritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
Finally started playing hockey this summer (I'm 22)! I had never really played before, except a couple times at the outdoor rinks during winter. My skating is far from great, but I've been improving every week. Having a ton of fun, I just wish I had started earlier!
You're right where I was last year! Enjoy the learning process, take tips from anyone that will give them and you'll have a blast

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:59 PM
  #311
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
So I setup a goal in my garage and hung a tarp up behind it. Works great! I can use ice pucks on the smooth concrete, but any real puck handling I'll need a shooting pad.

On another note, can I learn backward crossovers on iine skates?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
  #312
SiberianBull
Registered User
 
SiberianBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SiberianBull
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
So I setup a goal in my garage and hung a tarp up behind it. Works great! I can use ice pucks on the smooth concrete, but any real puck handling I'll need a shooting pad.

On another note, can I learn backward crossovers on iine skates?
Yes, I think you can. I believe forward striding, backward striding, forward crossovers, and backwards crossovers translate quite nicely from ice to inline and vice versa.

SiberianBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:49 PM
  #313
krax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
So I setup a goal in my garage and hung a tarp up behind it. Works great! I can use ice pucks on the smooth concrete, but any real puck handling I'll need a shooting pad.

On another note, can I learn backward crossovers on iine skates?
Search for <inline backwards crossovers> on youtube. Tons of material.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:30 PM
  #314
ganave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Getting excited!

On Wednesday night the instructional league starts up. I have my gear all set and printed out a small pile of checklists to use. I haven't been on the ice in a month or in full gear ever, so hopefully won't look like a complete fool.

It's going to be fun suiting up in my completed goalie set tonight and adjusting everything. Taping up my stick tonight too, I think... the GoaliestoreBB has a whole lot of strange theories on wooden sticks, composite sticks and tape. I went with wood as I want to find out my preference for curvature and I figure a $40 Sherwood is a good place to start.

If the hour of practice goes well, then I might get in my first scrimmage Sunday night.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
  #315
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianBull View Post
Yes, I think you can. I believe forward striding, backward striding, forward crossovers, and backwards crossovers translate quite nicely from ice to inline and vice versa.
thats my understanding.

i only ask cuz i watched a quick video on it, and was successful in my inline skates, but havent been on the ice to test it yet.

ive searched but i cant really find anything on it. what exactly do i use a backward cross over for? my forward crossover i notice accelerates my down the ice faster, my backward one kind of sends me in an arc. is it used for the same purpose, just on defense or protecting the puck?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:07 PM
  #316
Stickchecked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
The big "aha" moment for me and backwards crossovers (other than 1 instructor calling them crossunders) is that your outside skate should not move. I'm very good skating backwards and can crossover no problem. But when practicing it in a circle, only the one foot should be leaving the ice.

The tip made a world of difference.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:16 PM
  #317
PanHandler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
The big "aha" moment for me and backwards crossovers (other than 1 instructor calling them crossunders) is that your outside skate should not move. I'm very good skating backwards and can crossover no problem. But when practicing it in a circle, only the one foot should be leaving the ice.

The tip made a world of difference.
Not true. your outside foot should always recover to the inside and gthe end of your "push" to prepare for the next push.



See the outside foot always comes up and back to the inside to reset.

PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:27 AM
  #318
Stickchecked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
You're making the same mistake I was making. Watch the video again. The outside skate moves but never leaves the ice. I'm not saying it's stationary/does nothing, but it stays on the ice and supports your body.

In the game action part of the video, the player is lifting both skates off the ice, sure. And that's what I can do easily. But when practicing, you want to get comfortable with the outside skate staying on the ice and the inside skate doing most of the work.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:55 AM
  #319
PanHandler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
No. You said the skate doesnt move. The skate always resets to the inside. His skate doesnt come off the ice, but that foot is unweighted when he brings it back inside. It does move, just not off the ice. If fact he did list it off the ice a couple times in that video, and im sure its fine to lift off the ice if that makes it more comfortable. i lift my skate off the ice slightly when i do backwards crossovers and ive never had issue.

Then again ive been rollerblading/ice skating almost my whole life so it might just come natural to me. i honestly dont remember when i actually learned them, or if i just started doing it naturally one day.

PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:40 AM
  #320
Stickchecked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanHandler View Post
No. You said the skate doesnt move. The skate always resets to the inside. His skate doesnt come off the ice, but that foot is unweighted when he brings it back inside. It does move, just not off the ice. If fact he did list it off the ice a couple times in that video, and im sure its fine to lift off the ice if that makes it more comfortable. i lift my skate off the ice slightly when i do backwards crossovers and ive never had issue.

Then again ive been rollerblading/ice skating almost my whole life so it might just come natural to me. i honestly dont remember when i actually learned them, or if i just started doing it naturally one day.
You're splitting hairs. And we're talking about giving advice to someone trying to learn something for the first time.

I still stand by the advice that I was given and that worked for me: Keep your outside foot on the ice and focus on the "crossunder" of your inside foot.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:47 PM
  #321
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
So I setup a goal in my garage and hung a tarp up behind it. Works great! I can use ice pucks on the smooth concrete, but any real puck handling I'll need a shooting pad.

On another note, can I learn backward crossovers on iine skates?
Yes you can.

Just remember, that even with the transition of inline to skates. While they are similar and you can get the idea of it, the transition from wheels to blades will be different.

If you can't get easy ice time to practice, inline works in a pinch.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM
  #322
ganave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500


First instructional league practice last night and first time wearing full goalie gear! It was fun, but I've got a long ways to go in technique and conditioning.

They were psyched to have a goalie turn up even though I'm sure I looked awful on the ice. There were at least a dozen people with varying skill ranges, but I was the only one that looked like bambi on ice.

What was tough was practicing shuffling around the edge of the crease. And the coach in charge of the practice had one of the most hated and probably nearly useless drills for a new goalie. I'm sure is has a name, but I'll call it the firing squad. Two groups of skaters taking shots at about 10 second intervals, one to glove side, one to blocker side. Meanwhile I can only shuffle around with all my gear on and didn't get a chance to practice T-pushes. I actually made more saves with the butt end of my stick than the blocker. Also most of the shots were on the ice and not in the air (wrist shots) and the better players were holding back.

Next session I'll ask the coach to not do the firing squad drill. I think it would make more sense for a few shooters at a time so I can get into position, make a good block, track the puck, recover, repeat.

Conditioning wise I need to strengthen my lower back muscles, up my endurance, and do lots of cardio.

Technique-wise, I really need to get T-pushes down. I also need to be more flexible to do a proper butterfly.

Gear question though. My reebok pads have these two flaps that extend from the top of the pad by 4 or 5". Do they get tucked in under the pants or should they ride over them? If they ride over, how can I stop them from sneaking under my pants?

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:04 AM
  #323
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Awesome ganave, keep the updates coming.

Now all you need to do is get a jersey with a bullseye on it, so people will crest snipe you

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
  #324
ganave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Awesome ganave, keep the updates coming.

Now all you need to do is get a jersey with a bullseye on it, so people will crest snipe you
Lol! I was actually thinking of getting a picture of my pomeranian silkscreened on the front of my jersey. Pompom's got fight.

I was glad that I'm not afraid getting hit with the puck. That was something that you can't really tell until you actually get blasted with a couple.

I also understand why goalies are crazy about modifying their gear. I already know where I'm going to add some velcro and a few other things on the pads.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 10:13 AM
  #325
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Lol! I was actually thinking of getting a picture of my pomeranian silkscreened on the front of my jersey. Pompom's got fight.

I was glad that I'm not afraid getting hit with the puck. That was something that you can't really tell until you actually get blasted with a couple.

I also understand why goalies are crazy about modifying their gear. I already know where I'm going to add some velcro and a few other things on the pads.
Muster up enough money and have someone airbrush your pom onto your helmet I heard it can cost anywhere from $300-$700, not too sure.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.