HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

Old
06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Fedor KO's Rizzo in under two minutes.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:37 PM
DeathFromAbove

M-1 already has Fedors next opponent lined up:

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
kurt
the last emperor

After 3 straight losses I think he's entitled to climb the ladder from the bottom again, no? And it's not like Monson and Rizzo are 100% cans. They aren't on anyone's top 20 list, but they're both accomplished fighters from Fedor's era. I think they're better opponents than Cole Konrad is facing in Bellator. I don't think MFC even has a HW champ... not sure who's in their stable of HW fighters.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:53 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
After 3 straight losses I think he's entitled to climb the ladder from the bottom again, no?
Fedor is old and hinting at retirement. I'm not sure how any fan of his could want to see him go out fighting guys like Pedro Rizzo on a Thursday afternoon in Russia.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:59 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Fedor is old and hinting at retirement. I'm not sure how any fan of his could want to see him go out fighting guys like Pedro Rizzo on a Thursday afternoon in Russia.
Why wouldn't they? Half his career is beating up cans halfway around the world, what's a few more?

Last edited by m9: 06-21-2012 at 03:32 PM.
m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:15 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

I know it was Rizzo, but Fedor still has fast hands.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I know it was Rizzo, but Fedor still has fast hands.
Fast hands, no head movement, and no footwork.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:55 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Fast hands, no head movement, and no footwork.
You've never really needed those things to fight Rizzo though.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:15 PM
DeathFromAbove

Fedor has retired.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:26 PM
macleod50

For those that missed it.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
DeathFromAbove

We are very close to having no Fedor, Tito, Chuck, Anderson & Randy in MMA.

I just don't feel as excited by the new blood like Jon Jones, Ben Henderson and JDS. Yeah they're incredible fighters, but when I first started watching MMA it seemed like the top guys were larger than life. I don't get that same feeling anymore. I miss the days when MMA was gritty and unpolished. Jon Jones has the personality of a mainstream football player, whereas guys like Tito wore "Dana is my *****" t-shirts to a weigh-in.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:00 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Who should he have fought instead?

Old
06-22-2012, 08:19 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Who should he have fought instead?
He should be in the UFC. We can blame his crooked promoters for that.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Captain_Cunney

I have no problem with him facing Rizzo, at this point in his career it seems like a proper fight.

Its the right way for fedor to go out, in vintage form. A a fan, that is the final image I wanted to have. A Much better alternative than heading to the UFC & getting steam rolled.

It's too bad SF couldn't have worked out something with him for Cormiers' final fight. Thats probabaly one of those ugly fights I didn't want to see but from a marketing stand point it would be another feather in DC's cap, a bit more hype for the UFC to pimp when he did transfer.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:51 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
You've never really needed those things to fight Rizzo though.
Did you not watch MMA prior to 2005?

Rizzo was an absolute killer in his day. He has 5 KO's on Ultimate Knockouts 1&2. Vicious leg kicks and a great counter puncher. It's joke the way new MMA fans talk about him like he's always sucked (he's still better than most HW's out there) when he should likely be in the UFC hall of fame. Show some respect to the guys who helped get the sport to where it is today.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:53 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
You can also blame it on Fedor not caring enough about his legacy. It sucks for us but it's his life and he can do what he wants with it.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:02 PM
m9

If this is the end of Fedor in the ring, congrats on an amazing career.

I take my shots at him because his hardcore fan base tends to be wacky, he isn't the GOAT in my opinion, and him and his management staff have taken him on a messed up path to where he is now.

That being said, he was an amazing fighter who has paved the way for many fighters. He's also paved the way for the next generation of fighters in his country. His fights have always been some of the most exciting in the sport, and even his recent losses had an amazing amount of dramatics.

I think he'll be back in the ring/cage at some point, but if not then thanks for lots of great moments.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:13 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I have no problem with him facing Rizzo, at this point in his career it seems like a proper fight.

Its the right way for fedor to go out, in vintage form. A a fan, that is the final image I wanted to have. A Much better alternative than heading to the UFC & getting steam rolled.

It's too bad SF couldn't have worked out something with him for Cormiers' final fight. Thats probabaly one of those ugly fights I didn't want to see but from a marketing stand point it would be another feather in DC's cap, a bit more hype for the UFC to pimp when he did transfer.
Cormier/Fedor would have been a great fight. People have this misconception that Fedor is "past his prime". When I think of guys who are shot, it's either because a) their chin is gone (Chuck, Wanderlei) or b) their reflexes have slowed (Roy Jones Jr).

Look at his three losses:
1. Werdum - he fought stupid this fight and it cost him. Nobody can dive into Werdums guard like a maniac and not get submitted.
2. Bigfoot - Fedor should have been a light heavyweight his whole career and in this fight and it showed. He got muscled around by a 280lb man.
3. Hendo - this fight was a competitive shootout. There's not many guys who can eat a shot from Hendo and survive, I don't think this loss is proof that Fedor is shot.

I think Fedor can still beat most heavyweights in the world today including Cormier.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:16 PM
m9

I think Fedor would have been the underdog to Cormier but could have won for sure. But what does that win really do for him? He's better off just going to the UFC and beat up someone more relevant in the mainstream eyes, like Frank Mir, Kongo, or Roy Nelson if he wants to continue his career at a high level.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:20 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I think Fedor would have been the underdog to Cormier but could have won for sure. But what does that win really do for him? He's better off just going to the UFC and beat up someone more relevant in the mainstream eyes, like Frank Mir, Kongo, or Roy Nelson if he wants to continue his career at a high level.
Ideally that's the best scenario, but realistically there was no way he was coming to the UFC. That ship sailed when M-1 wouldn't budge on their co-promotion nonsense.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:47 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Did you not watch MMA prior to 2005?

Rizzo was an absolute killer in his day. He has 5 KO's on Ultimate Knockouts 1&2. Vicious leg kicks and a great counter puncher. It's joke the way new MMA fans talk about him like he's always sucked (he's still better than most HW's out there) when he should likely be in the UFC hall of fame. Show some respect to the guys who helped get the sport to where it is today.
Excuse me, but I've probably been watching MMA longer then you have. I have every UFC and Pride dvd and have been an MMA fan before the UFC was around....

The Rock used to be one of my favs. I loved watching him fight, but time and time again he's lost because he would hang back. Yes I know he's a counter puncher, but that really doesn't matter when you get caught with a big shot before you can counter.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
AndyPipkin

^ Sorry if that came off as sounding douchey, but I am no TUF noob.

I've watched most of Rizzo's UFC KO's live(At home lol).

Old
06-22-2012, 02:25 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
He should have been in the UFC after losses to Werdum, Bigfoot and Henderson? None of those 3 guys were "UFC caliber" according to a lot of people on this forum.

Quote:
If this is the end of Fedor in the ring, congrats on an amazing career.

I take my shots at him because his hardcore fan base tends to be wacky, he isn't the GOAT in my opinion, and him and his management staff have taken him on a messed up path to where he is now.

That being said, he was an amazing fighter who has paved the way for many fighters. He's also paved the way for the next generation of fighters in his country. His fights have always been some of the most exciting in the sport, and even his recent losses had an amazing amount of dramatics.

I think he'll be back in the ring/cage at some point, but if not then thanks for lots of great moments.
Agreed, he has been incredible for the sport, especially in Russia.

People are so polarized when it comes to Fedor. 3 losses in 2010-2011 and some mid-tier opponents from 2007-2009 and suddenly it's as though 2000-2005 never happened.

One of the most popular criticisms of Fedor is not going to the UFC to fight the best in the world. For years that's exactly what he was doing, in PRIDE. Nobody criticizes the legacies of Couture or Hughes for not going to PRIDE to fight the best fighters in the world. I think there's some North America centric bias at play here.

From 2007-2009 some of his matchups were questionable, sure. There's no denying that. But Fedor was getting paid a ton of money, and his co-promotional interests were being supported by other organizations. Were there a handful of better opponents in the UFC? Sure, but money talks. And back then Dana wasn't exactly dangling a giant salary, lenient contract requirements, and a M-1 partnership deal.

Meanwhile, Anderson Silva's record was also spotted with fights against mid-tier opponents (Chris Leben, Travis Lutter, James Irvin, Patrick Cote, Thales Leites). He was busier, sure, but the caliber of opposition the two faced during that time wasn't THAT different.

Before his Werdum fight, there was a big opportunity on the table with the UFC. Then Fedor got caught in a sub and lost. Retrospectively, of course he should have taken the deal. But what if he had won? He would have continued making a pile of money in a situation that was right for him. Maybe he would have signed with the UFC then. Who knows.

I was a Fedor fan, because he was the GOAT. Now it might be Anderson Silva. Have I said anything "wacky" here? If so, feel free to point it out and present an argument to the contrary.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:34 PM
m9

^I don't consider you or anyone on this board (that I've seen) part of the "wacky' Fedor fan club that was popular on other boards up until his recent losing streak. But those fans were out there.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
^I don't consider you or anyone on this board (that I've seen) part of the "wacky' Fedor fan club that was popular on other boards up until his recent losing streak. But those fans were out there.
Gotcha. The thing I'm dumbounded by are all these people who suck on Dana White flavoured popsicles and act like Fedor was never any good in the first place.

Even suggesting he was mis-managed isn't entirely true if you consider his interests and goals, and the money he was making.