HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part VIII: The Ballad of Ricky (and) Bobby

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Dreger apparently said Ryan is the Rangers' plan B, behind Nash.

Why is Ryan not plan A? That's dumb as hell.
Ryan would cost stepan that's probably why

Old
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
He is NOT Staal quality. Dubinsky also wasn't a 24 year old UFA.
He was a 25 year old ufa? Is it that much of a difference?

And at the time yes he was. He added similar production to Staal's while also adding in the same grit, intensity, and defensive abilities.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:40 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
My guess Ryan will cost a prospect, roster player, pick.
Probably two roster players, a prospect, and a pick. Maybe DZ, Dubinsky/Anisimov, Miller and two 1sts?

Old
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Ryan would cost stepan that's probably why
If the plan was to trade Stepan, a 1st, and a prospect like Miller and then sign Staal next summer, would you be opposed?

Old
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post

And at the time yes he was. He added similar production to Staal's while also adding in the same grit, intensity, and defensive abilities.
Dubi was never a UFA. Always a RFA, he had no other options and got 4+ million. Just being a UFA adds 1-2 million per year due to the open market.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:41 PM
DutchShamrock

Jordan Staal isn't as cut and dry as many of you are making it. Very misleading with the posts. Yes, never had more than 50 pts... convenient reporting. 50 points this year in 62 games. He has always gotten the checking role, 3rd line minutes, 3rd line wings. Nash gets the talent excuse, yet Staal is lucky to play with Asham and Dupuis.

This season Staal got top 6 minutes with Crosby out, he put up points. At best, the jury is out on what his point ceiling is. Again, Nash gets the benefit of the doubt at 28, but Staal is branded at 23/24.

J. Staal at $6m for 4 seasons isn't terrible. Probably not the most prudent move. $5m at 5 years would be a bargain though. It seems that money isn't everything to Jordan, better yet it seems like the brother thing is very important. NYR has a better chance of accommodating all 3 (or 4) Staals than Carolina. I don't know, its just not as clear cut as it's being portrayed.

As for the brother question, I know 2 or 3 Sutter brothers played on the same team. Did 2 sets play for 2 teams at the same time?

Old
06-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
If the plan was to trade Stepan, a 1st, and a prospect like Miller and then sign Staal next summer, would you be opposed?
The problem is, what if Staal never gets to free agency?

And even then, he might not want to sign with us.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
I've said already, I'm not even opposed to moving stepan for ryan

Old
06-21-2012, 07:43 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Del Zotto, Anisimov,Thomas,2nd. = Ryan

Old
06-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Eklund said a team is moving waaaay up in the draft. heh.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Cause people don't understand that there is more to a player than cap hit and name.

Ryan won't fit into our system as well as some think he will. He disappears often. He'll have more offensive talent than we're used to but defensively he has a lot of adjusting to do. He takes shifts off and rarely back checks.

Nash fits into our system perfectly and adds potentially 50 goals.

Ryan will have to work a lot harder to fit into our system and adds potentially 40 goals.
You are wrong on every single point you just made.

First off let's face it neither forward is going to win a Selke anytime soon, but Ryan will be much easier to teach than someone like Nash would be. Ryan actually likes to hit people and use hit body, he can be taught defense. He can be molded into a two way player, if anyone can do it it's Torts. Ryan likes to work the boards and Nash is more of a floater in the offensive zone. Ryan fits the system more than Nash. He doesn't even have to play a high defensive game, Gaborik is successful and he likes to float two. Defense can be taught and it's easier to teach a 24 year old still learning then a 28 year old who has that superstar mentality. Between the two Ryan has shown more of a willingness to get dirty.

Inconsistency, sounds familiar right? That's the definition of Gaborik (who I have the utmost respect for after playing hurt in the playoffs). You fail to mention how Nash takes shifts off, he'll even games off, as well. He came into the league and he was more of a net presence, he's more of a perimeter player and that's a red flag. Ryan loves to drive to the net and he is more thank capable of scoring around the net.

Nash is a career mid 30 goal scorer (once hitting 40), so to assume he'll add 15 goals just like that is quite a reach. Nash is a great goal scorer but Ryan is no slouch, on a bad year Ryan puts in 30 goals. He could be a 40 goal scorer here as well.

Then you tak into account age and salary and the player progression over the next 4-5 years and Ryan seals the deal. This is a kid that is basically the same age as our team and can grow with out team the next 10 years.

06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

https://twitter.com/PollakOnSharks/s...49977434861568

Quote:
David Pollak
‏@PollakOnSharks

From 2,247 miles away, I'm hearing there are no Nash talks between ‪#Sjsharks‬ and CBJ, who still want Couture. No counter-proposal period.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Probably two roster players, a prospect, and a pick. Maybe DZ, Dubinsky/Anisimov, Miller and two 1sts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Del Zotto, Anisimov,Thomas,2nd. = Ryan
It's been said several times that Anahiem has no interest in MDZ. They have an offensive defenseman for the future in Fowler. They also have several other offensive defensemen currently on the team mother are severely lacking in defensive defenseman. They will have no Internet in MDZ.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:47 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Nash is by almost all accounts the better player

Nash by most people's assumptions will cost less assets in trade

Nash is three years older, but already signed longterm. If you re-sign Ryan before he's UFA you'll be almost certainly tied to him until the same age you'd be tied to Nash, if not longer. I don't think age is really an issue.

Nash costs significantly more in cap hit per year . . . until you resign Ryan. I'm sure that gap will close by at least 50%. Sather & co should have a very good understanding of the range where things will likely fall in the next CBA. They are so reluctant to part with young assets I can't see them hamstringing themselves cap wise with the deal.

I really don't think there's any logical reason Nash wouldn't be plan A over Ryan besides cap hit. If they think they can afford it then we probably can.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Eklund said a team is moving waaaay up in the draft. heh.
Probably Philly.

Old
rangers1024

Quote:

RFA, so yes, difference. Even discounting last season, Staal is the better player. Staal has the better offensive instincts, and abilities.

Old
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post

First off let's face it neither forward is going to win a Selke anytime soon, but Ryan will be much easier to teach than someone like Nash would be. Ryan actually likes to hit people and use hit body, he can be taught defense. He can be molded into a two way player, if anyone can do it it's Torts. Ryan likes to work the boards and Nash is more of a floater in the offensive zone. Ryan fits the system more than Nash. He doesn't even have to play a high defensive game, Gaborik is successful and he likes to float two. Defense can be taught and it's easier to teach a 24 year old still learning then a 28 year old who has that superstar mentality. Between the two Ryan has shown more of a willingness to get dirty.

Inconsistency, sounds familiar right? That's the definition of Gaborik (who I have the utmost respect for after playing hurt in the playoffs). You fail to mention how Nash takes shifts off, he'll even games off, as well. He came into the league and he was more of a net presence, he's more of a perimeter player and that's a red flag. Ryan loves to drive to the net and he is more thank capable of scoring around the net.

Nash is a career mid 30 goal scorer (once hitting 40), so to assume he'll add 15 goals just like that is quite a reach. Nash is a great goal scorer but Ryan is no slouch, on a bad year Ryan puts in 30 goals. He could be a 40 goal scorer here as well.

Then you tak into account age and salary and the player progression over the next 4-5 years and Ryan seals the deal. This is a kid that is basically the same age as our team and can grow with out team the next 10 years.
Agreed with everything, except Ryan is 25.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Nash won't cost less assets than Ryan though.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:49 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Jordan Staal isn't as cut and dry as many of you are making it. Very misleading with the posts. Yes, never had more than 50 pts... convenient reporting. 50 points this year in 62 games. He has always gotten the checking role, 3rd line minutes, 3rd line wings. Nash gets the talent excuse, yet Staal is lucky to play with Asham and Dupuis.

This season Staal got top 6 minutes with Crosby out, he put up points. At best, the jury is out on what his point ceiling is. Again, Nash gets the benefit of the doubt at 28, but Staal is branded at 23/24.

J. Staal at $6m for 4 seasons isn't terrible. Probably not the most prudent move. $5m at 5 years would be a bargain though. It seems that money isn't everything to Jordan, better yet it seems like the brother thing is very important. NYR has a better chance of accommodating all 3 (or 4) Staals than Carolina. I don't know, its just not as clear cut as it's being portrayed.

As for the brother question, I know 2 or 3 Sutter brothers played on the same team. Did 2 sets play for 2 teams at the same time?

Old
06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Lundsanity30

To be honest, Nash's game translates to Rangers style more than Ryan

Old
06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

In my opinion, Nash is a much more talented and complete player than Ryan.

I can understand preferring Ryan for age or contract reasons, but if we are talking pure ability I definitely take Nash.

Also I absolutely would wager that if both are moved, Ryan costs more assets solely because the market is bigger and his contract is better.

06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post

Ryan has played with far superior talent than Nash. Ryan has played on far more competitive teams than Nash.

Nash has played for the worst franchise in the NHL his career while Ryan has played for an ideal destination for any player. The fact that Ryan, a young 20 something player not yet in the prime of his career is being shopped, should raise red flags for you.

Those are the only arguments I need to make. Offensively, Nash is much more of a prolific talent than Ryan. Put him on a better team I can see him hitting his max around 45-50. Defensively, if you were to compare the two, you'd have to go back to when Columbus had any semblance of competitiveness in them to be able to accurately make an assessment. Hard to be as committed to playing defense when you're team has like 40 points and every one else has like 80...

Old
06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

I can understand preferring Ryan for age or contract reasons, but if we are talking pure ability I definitely take Nash.
Right, but the pros for Ryan outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:57 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

I don't think anyone is denying Nash is the better player. The guy was picked %1 overall for a reason. He's proven more for longer and on a worse team.

I think that he shouldn't be an option at his point because Howson won't budge on his price,Megan has the advantage in age and salary, and I think you'd have more success turning Bobby Ryan into a "Torts kind of guy" then Nash. And if you have a player of Ryan's talent but into Tort's system that's huge.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Right, but the pros for Ryan outweigh the cons in my opinion.
What if you don't know all the cons for Ryan?

Closed Thread