Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Gone but not forgotten

Old
06-21-2012, 12:40 PM
OLD51JOHN

vCash: 500
Gone but not forgotten

I wonder ? Is there anybody on the board older than me? I was born Oct 1928..I can remember NO glass ,no numbers,no masks no shields etc...I was lucky enough to see in thier prime Shimdt,Howe ,Richard,ORR, and too many more to mention..If there are any more old poops out there I would like to hear from them... And the game is still the best...

OLD51JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
ap3lovr

In do have a few questions for you old timers.

- Do you think players from the 40's and 50's would compete in today's league?
- What was the greatest game you've ever seen played?
- Was officiating as much of a factor when there were less rules?

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

I would add, who is your all time favorite player on the Bruins over the time you've been a fan? What non Bruin was/is your favorite?

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:08 PM
sooshii
Believe in Boston

No numbers? Guess I didn't know that!

thanks for sticking around, John. God Bless.

sooshii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:21 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
In do have a few questions for you old timers.

- Do you think players from the 40's and 50's would compete in today's league?
- What was the greatest game you've ever seen played?
- Was officiating as much of a factor when there were less rules?
I'd love to hear this as well...

I'm only half as old as John, but I do have a hunch: One thing that I think we may hear John say (regarding the officiating)...

Again - just a hunch, but I'm guessing that the officiating didn't NEED to as much of a factor...

I'd guess (based only on changes in the game in the relatively short time I've been watching - a mere 35+ years!) that players were much more respectful of each other "back in the day"... I'd guess that if you took a look at penalty minutes per game through the years, you'd notice a distinct difference from yester-year to today.

Even if the NUMBERs were similar, I'd venture to say that the TYPES would have changed drastically.

I'd think the ref's weren't given the opportunity to be as much of a factor with inconsistency

Causes - My guess would be primarily "money"... Correct me if I'm wrong, John. But there was a time when hockey players were "other things" first and "hockey Players" second. Joe Hockeyplayer would head home after the season to work on the farm, or back into the factory.

There was a respect that these guys had for each other and theor lives outside the game that has dwindled. I mean - Why would today's hockey player care if their competitor got knocked out of the game - he's making $6.5m per year... It's not as if he won't be able to make the mortgage if he can't get to the steel mill.

It's a whole different game than it was even 30 years ago... I can only image 60-70-80 years ago.

TCDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Actp
CN6 but Accentuate p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
I'd love to hear this as well...

I'm only half as old as John, but I do have a hunch: One thing that I think we may hear John say (regarding the officiating)...

Again - just a hunch, but I'm guessing that the officiating didn't NEED to as much of a factor...

I'd guess (based only on changes in the game in the relatively short time I've been watching - a mere 35+ years!) that players were much more respectful of each other "back in the day"... I'd guess that if you took a look at penalty minutes per game through the years, you'd notice a distinct difference from yester-year to today.

Even if the NUMBERs were similar, I'd venture to say that the TYPES would have changed drastically.

I'd think the ref's weren't given the opportunity to be as much of a factor with inconsistency

Causes - My guess would be primarily "money"... Correct me if I'm wrong, John. But there was a time when hockey players were "other things" first and "hockey Players" second. Joe Hockeyplayer would head home after the season to work on the farm, or back into the factory.

There was a respect that these guys had for each other and theor lives outside the game that has dwindled. I mean - Why would today's hockey player care if their competitor got knocked out of the game - he's making $6.5m per year... It's not as if he won't be able to make the mortgage if he can't get to the steel mill.

It's a whole different game than it was even 30 years ago... I can only image 60-70-80 years ago.
TC another fan of 35 ish years and I have to say I think your deductions are accurate except for the Pims....Dont foget they had about two bench clearers a week in the 06, but yep bet the type of penalties were different. (I sense a Don Cherry no helmets rant coming to my mind.) Anyway, I look forward to thethe postings in this thread......

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Well John, you're one month older than my mother!

Me, I'm 51 and I did see Bobby Orr play, just once. Met Milt Schmitt, but never saw him play.

I remember when there were very few helmuts, (Ted Green, Stan Mikita), and some goalies still played without masks, (Gump Worsley, Andy Brown).

Best games I ever saw live? Hmmm....

First game I ever went to, Orr got his 100th assist of the season. I was about 10.

I went to some playoff games in the early 80's against Minnesota, Buffalo and Quebec that I don't hardly remember...

I was at the Montreal bloodbath...wanna say '86 or so. Linesman and Nilan tumbling down the runway.

Sat down in the balcony once right above the net, and told my girlfriend, "Aw this goalie's a bum...Tugnutt"...and he proceeded to make about 75 saves!!"

Perhaps the best actual game I was at was against Edmonton with Gretzky. Oilers were up late in the game and the place was emptying out. I may have the order backwards, but I think Paul Boutillier tied it up with less than a minute to go, and then Ken Linesman won it in O.T.

Even though there were only 3 or 4 thousand of us left in the building, I never heard the Old Garden any louder.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 191
My idea of "olden days" involves two line passes and no trapezoid haha

wKetch22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Found some good stuff here about Jacques Plante's first mask.

Hope the link works

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=503911

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Me too. The pre-lockout Joe Thornton Bruins are my olden days.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Good to see you kicking around still John, nice that you're on the web here with us too. God bless

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
ODAAT

John, something tells me you'd be amazing to sit down with for a day and listen to you share your Bruin experiences with......truth is, I'd betcha one day wouldn't be nearly enough time. We gotta hook John up for a spot on NESN, longest time being a fan kinda thing.......someone work their magic

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Back in the old days when it was just the NHL, as opposed to "the NEW NHL"(Post lockout)

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:33 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN View Post
I wonder ? Is there anybody on the board older than me? I was born Oct 1928..I can remember NO glass ,no numbers,no masks no shields etc...I was lucky enough to see in thier prime Shimdt,Howe ,Richard,ORR, and too many more to mention..If there are any more old poops out there I would like to hear from them... And the game is still the best...
Much love and respect <3

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
John, something tells me you'd be amazing to sit down with for a day and listen to you share your Bruin experiences with......truth is, I'd betcha one day wouldn't be nearly enough time. We gotta hook John up for a spot on NESN, longest time being a fan kinda thing.......someone work their magic
This needs to happen.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Open Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

This is something I've fantasized about since I was at a game during Dave Lewis' era and grabbed some empty seats a few rows up from behind the Bruins bench. I had an incredible conversation with this older woman who told me she and her husband had had season tickets for over fifty years and how her father took her to games all through her childhood. I'm not positive, but I think this was right around the time Fred Cusick's autobiography came out and reading that thing makes you realize, okay, here's a guy who has seen LIVE the entire history of the Bruins organization.

As a writer, the stuff blows my mind. There are people walking around with memories of what someone like Lionel Hitchman looked like skating around. Old51John saw Gordie Howe in his prime? There are people alive who might be able to talk about how Frankie Brimsick compares to Cheevers or Tim Thomas? Damn. The NHL should offer grants for people to go around interviewing people and documenting their experiences as fans. People who have dedicated 50,60,70 years to something should have a chance to talk about it and have those stories documented.

My two cents, anyway.

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

as far as players from the past being able to compete against ones today... the answer to that is fairly simple when we see the advancements in training and eating and drugs and medicine that make todays athletes so much stronger and faster then ever before.

that said... one could imagine that the athletes of yesterday would have had these same advantages if they lived now.

so todays athletes are the strongest/fastest best trained atheletes that ever lived and would destroy anyone from the past in head to head battle BUT the superior athletes of yesterday probably dominated their sports to a greater level then the superior athletes of today do because the training for the lesser athletes of today is much better and helps the lesser athletes keep competitive.

anyhow this cant be 'proven' in a team sport but if you look at individual sports like running or weight lifting or whatever you will see that standards of excellence from 70 years ago wouldnt even be worthy of last place in todays world of top competition. its the same argument whether the top woman golfer or tennis player or hockey player could compete in the top mens pro league against any of the top 100-500-1000 best men... it just cant happen because of the strength/speed advantage men have over women and how todays athletes have over the athletes of yesteryear

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:24 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

I would love to see the likes of Burrows, Cooke, Lapierre, Komisarek pull their crap against Orr, Cashman, Wensink, Richard, Howe, Green, Ferguson.

Look up Lou Fontinato vs. Gordie Howe.

No instigator rule too!!

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightspokedb View Post
I would love to see the likes of Burrows, Cooke, Lapierre, Komisarek pull their crap against Orr, Cashman, Wensink, Richard, Howe, Green, Ferguson.

Look up Lou Fontinato vs. Gordie Howe.

No instigator rule too!!
I would love to see Linesman, Samuelsson, and Lemieux pull their crap against.....ohh wait...

Yea...fighting and instigator rules never stopped it. Pipe dream.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:37 PM
24giovanni

John, Do you remember Fleming MacKell? He was a good friend of my dad. They use to live next door to each other back in the day.

24giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN View Post
I am pleased to see you back !

I am in my 50's....until Dec..Then I will be 60 Time sure does fly.

I was 19 when the B's won the cup in 1972.

I loved Derek Sanderson....I always fell for the bad boys.

I remember no masks, no helmets.

My Dad (who was born in 1920) had ST to the Boston Braves who played at the old Garden. Our seats were on the glass right next to the P.Box...we saw a lot of Terry O. There were boards where our feet were and my toes would be very cold.

I was worried that I wouldn't be around to see the B's win the cup again but they took care of that last June.

I love how many different age folks post here. It is amazing how many B's fans are from all over the world.

What a fun time we all had last June.

Please keep posting John. You are a cool guy

06-21-2012, 08:40 PM
BeastinB's

Send a message via AIM to BeastinB's
I'm certainly not older than you, but my father is 82. Always love picking the brains of the older generation on the game and the players they saw...After all its you older guys/gals who get 90% of us to become fans and love the game ourselves.

BeastinB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:46 PM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured
Good to see you still kicking John. It's like checking on a neighbor, making a post he has to answer..... GG.

disfigured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Just to go back for one game and to witness Eddie Shore or the Kraut line in person would be something

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:01 PM
kman22

Quote:
Same here, my childhood involved the "throwback" yellow pooh bear jerseys.

kman22 is offline   Reply With Quote