HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blackhawks Shopping Hjalmarsson and Montador

Old
06-21-2012, 07:34 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
Oilers will be all over trying to land Hjalmarsson.
Would a 2nd (32nd overall) get it done? Does Chicago need cap space?
No they wouldn't, Hammer wouldn't crack the top 4 of Edmonton's and 3.5mil a year is a little to much to pay a 3rd pairing D.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
No they wouldn't, Hammer wouldn't crack the top 4 of Edmonton's and 3.5mil a year is a little to much to pay a 3rd pairing D.
Lol wut, most nhl dman can crack oilers top 4 haha

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:38 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I would have to think a deal around Roy for Hjalmarsson+ is something that can be worked out, especially if Buffalo moves out a D-man in going after a big forward.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I was just thinking about this last night. IF the Hawks want to sign Suter, they'd have to shed some significant salary. If they don't wish to trade away any forwards, they'd have to most likely get rid of Hjalmarsson and Montador for it to work. Hjalmarsson will get a ton of interest. Montador on the other hand, not so much. When we traded him and he re-signed with the Hawks, he got a lot more than he should have, for a lot longer term too. Montador's good for what his role is: a gritty bottom-pairing defenseman who sticks up for teammates and can move the puck somewhat well. However, he's blatantly overpaid and really cashed in last offseason. I don't see any takers for him with three years left on that contract.

I really hope they don't send him down though; he's definitely an NHL player and he's a good guy. Always liked him when he was here in Buffalo and he was good for us. Unfortunately though, sometimes NHL players on bad contracts end up in the minors (Redden, Olesz, Huet) if the team feels it necessary to improve the roster in other areas. Suter would do that and Montador could be the guy to pay the price if Suter lands there.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
Zack smith plus 3rd
plus hoffman or DD.

06-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Disagree. Hjalmarsson is not a bottom-pairing defenseman and certainly not one on the Oilers. The only Oiler defensemen that you can make an argument for being better or equal to Hjalmarsson are Ryan Whitney, Nick Schultz, and Ladislav Smid. Petry and Potter aren't bad by any means, but they aren't on Hjalmarsson's level and face it, the Oilers desperately need to get better on defense. Hjalmarsson would be at worst fourth best on that roster and arguably higher than that.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:42 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
Lol wut, most nhl dman can crack oilers top 4 haha
Looking at the Hawk's defensive stats last year, it wouldn't too smart to be bragging about their bottom 4 D. With the exception of some offensive stats Edmonton's D was tied or better then the Hawks. They did this with their D snake bit with injuries all year.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:46 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Disagree. Hjalmarsson is not a bottom-pairing defenseman and certainly not one on the Oilers. The only Oiler defensemen that you can make an argument for being better or equal to Hjalmarsson are Ryan Whitney, Nick Schultz, and Ladislav Smid. Petry and Potter aren't bad by any means, but they aren't on Hjalmarsson's level and face it, the Oilers desperately need to get better on defense. Hjalmarsson would be at worst fourth best on that roster and arguably higher than that.
So your saying Hjalmarsson that only played protected minutes and just the Pk is as good or better then Smid, Schultz, or Petry.

Last edited by WeridAl: 06-21-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I'd think a lot of teams would love to get Hjalmarrson. He'd be a nice partner for a guy like Karlsson in Ottawa or EJ in Colorado. Maybe with the Avs, something built around Ryan Wilson, adding something on top of that. Not quite sure what the Hawks need.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
So your saying Hjalmarsson that only played protected minutes and just the PP is as good or better then Smid, Schultz, or Petry.
Petry is not a top 4 dman ,

And yes hmjarlasson is about eqaul to smid and shultz , who are btw nothing special

Old
06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
So your saying Hjalmarsson that only played protected minutes and just the PP is as good or better then Smid, Schultz, or Petry.
So this is the point where we can say you have no clue what you're talking about, right?

ES TOI/G: 17:42
SH TOI/G 2:22
PP TOI/G: 0:05

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Hjalmarsson plays almost zero minutes on the PP per game. He's a defensive defenseman and plays way more ES and PK minutes. Are you sure you don't have Hjalmarsson mixed up with someone else? Because your information of him is quite inaccurate.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Considering How the Hawks did against the Oilers last year I would think that most Oiler fans would pass on picking up any of their bottom 4 Dmen. (and Hawk fans would keep the finger pointing about shoddy defense or goaltending to themselves)

Though I guess I should wait for some actual Hawk fans to post first.

As for the rest try watching some games instead of regurgitating the eastern media rhetoric about the Oilers.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
So this is the point where we can say you have no clue what you're talking about, right?

ES TOI/G: 17:42
SH TOI/G 2:22
PP TOI/G: 0:05
My bad got mixed up, he didn't play the PP, he played on the 27th worse PK in the league last year. Compare his stats to Petry's, Smid's and Schultz and their TOI then tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Sevanston

Bring in a second line center or an actual starting goaltender and I can handle this.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Dumping Montador in minors is not gonna happen

Hawks ownership isn't just gonna throw an NHL player in minors ,, Haven't done it yet

Huet wasn't an NHL caliber player when dumped ,, Olesz was given chance and dumped (Not that I agreed with it)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Hjalmarsson plays almost zero minutes on the PP per game. He's a defensive defenseman and plays way more ES and PK minutes. Are you sure you don't have Hjalmarsson mixed up with someone else? Because your information of him is quite inaccurate.
should of never matched the offer sheet I see. Montador is an obvious dumb move.Maybe to Leafs for Komisarek an equally dumb move?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
My bad got mixed up, he didn't play the PP, he played on the 27th worse PK in the league last year. Compare his stats to Petry's, Smid's and Schultz and their TOI then tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
Uhm you do know they got more toi because oilers have ahl caliber d right ?

Hmjarllasson would be first pairing on edmonton , hed play pk and pp

Old
06-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Dumping Montador in minors is not gonna happen

Hawks ownership isn't just gonna throw an NHL player in minors ,, Haven't done it yet

Huet and Olesz were not NHL caliber playoffs at time they were dumped in minors
Arguable.

Huet at worst could still be a decent backup, just not at that pricetag. Same thing with Olesz. Definitely not the greatest player but still could be serviceable at a way lesser price.

Most argue Wade Redden could be the same; for much cheaper, he could still hold a steady bottom-pairing job in this League. The real pricetag though is the real reason these players aren't in the NHL right now, not necessarily their playing capabilities.

Old
06-21-2012, 08:04 PM
PeterTheGreat

Wilson + Sgarbossa/Hishon for Hjalmarsson?

Cheaper youngish dman to replace Hjalmarsson and a nice prospect centerman?

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Arguable.

Huet at worst could still be a decent backup, just not at that pricetag. Same thing with Olesz. Definitely not the greatest player but still could be serviceable at a way lesser price.

Most argue Wade Redden could be the same; for much cheaper, he could still hold a steady bottom-pairing job in this League. The real pricetag though is the real reason these players aren't in the NHL right now, not necessarily their playing capabilities.
I modified my statement with regards to Olesz

But Huet was not an NHL caliber netminder when dumped ,, His pathetic display of goaltending on a stacked team was telling

Old
06-21-2012, 08:05 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
should of never matched the offer sheet I see.
Why, it's not like they signed him (matched it) to get a PP d-man.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
should of never matched the offer sheet I see. Montador is an obvious dumb move.Maybe to Leafs for Komisarek an equally dumb move?
Why would Hawks trade cheaper/better dman in Montador for absolute pylon/mistake in Komisarek?

At the time Hjalmarsson was rising young dman. He was being compared by some to a Brent Seabrook (Albeit without the offensive upside)

At time he was essential part of Hawks team ,, So matching offer sheet made sense at time

Old
06-21-2012, 08:09 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Dunno if this sort of deal is allowed but could CHI and NSH do a Hjammer for Suter's rights. deal, with conditional picks. going both way depending on whether or not he signs?

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Hjalmarsson is still a very good defenseman, so matching the Sharks' offer sheet to me and probably most fellow Hawks fans was still a good move to this day. I can't knock that. However, I can't knock the Blackhawks for wanting to make some changes to the roster now if they so choose and if they legitimately think they can land Suter, Hjalmarsson could be the guy who you need to get rid of to make that happen. Not that Hjalmarsson is wanted out of Chicago by our fans by any means, but if Bowman feels like going in a different direction and making changes after a disappointing first-round exit, then that might have to be what happens.

I wouldn't trade Montador for Komisarek. Take on almost $2M in cap space when the Hawks need cap space now to not have to deal with the last year of Montador's contract and take on a worse player? If it has to happen, I'd rather just bury Monty and be done with it. No need to add Komisarek to our cap problems.