HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Entry Draft - They Looked Great in Practice

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
"In this draft, if we were to assess a need that we have, it would be forwards - in particular centre icemen." Gilman #NHLDraft
Gamble on Mark Jankowski in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Old
06-21-2012, 06:43 PM
AvantiCanada*

I'm personally fairly high on Samuelsson or, if still somehow still on the board Koekkoek.

I know he has serious question marks in terms of long terms upside, but I strongly feel Samuelsson is the most NHL ready player that may be available in the Canucks range. I'd love a future line up featuring Samuelsson and Kassian, that would make for a fairly ferocious team identity moving forward.

Those would be my picks at 26th. I have a feeling neither will be available at 26, however. Just my 2 cents..

Old
06-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
He'll be gone by early 2nd round.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He'll be gone by early 2nd round.
I don't think it's inconceivable he falls to us at 57.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading up to grab him earlier either, he was playing high school hockey this year wasn't he?

Old
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I don't think it's inconceivable he falls to us at 57.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading up to grab him earlier either, he was playing high school hockey this year wasn't he?
I would say it is, almost certainly. A team will grab him in the late 1st or early 2nd. That's where he's ranked right now and he's been rising for the past two months so him slipping is highly unlikely. I would have more faith in betting that he goes Top 25 than that he lasts past 45th overall pick.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:23 PM
thefeebster

Gotta agree. Jankowski is a riser, not a slider. In such a draft devoid of truly high end potential after the top 5 forwards, jankowski is highly sought after. I'd be very surprised at him lasting past 45.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:29 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Gotta agree. Jankowski is a riser, not a slider. In such a draft devoid of truly high end potential after the top 5 forwards, jankowski is highly sought after. I'd be very surprised at him lasting past 45.
You know of any good footage of Jankowski available on line, feebster?

Old
06-21-2012, 09:32 PM
JanBulisPiggyBack

I look at the draft tomorrow as
The first round : pick 1-15
The second round: picks 16-60 secound round

Is anybody out there who has really in depth knowledge agree with this or is the "second round" more like 16-30

I am in favour of trading the first to get two seconds but is that a gamble or safe bet

Old
06-21-2012, 09:41 PM
TheCanuckInOttawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
According to this interview (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...580/story.html) the Canucks are going BPA with their first pick then positional need afterwards.

Why can't it just be BPA every round?

After 1st round, we are not going to get a player making immediate impact, and by the time these players join the team, whole team structure could be different.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuckInOttawa View Post
Why can't it just be BPA every round?

After 1st round, we are not going to get a player making immediate impact, and by the time these players join the team, whole team structure could be different.
There's no consensus BPA once you get past the 2nd round. This tactic has worked out well for them over the past few drafts. Last year we picked up LaBate as a result (major steal), the year before it was McNally and Polasek.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:50 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Canucks took Matteau in the NHL Network mock draft

Old
06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I watched that. Steve Loubardias is almost unwatchable. How did Calgary fans put up with him all these years? Yeesh!

Old
06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
El Duderino

Quote:
If we're going for a LW, I'd much prefer Phil Di Guiseppe, though Matteau isn't too awful of a pick either... great size and decent skating.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
I like Matteau. Probably wouldn't take him in the first round though.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:51 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The Wings went for bigger players in the last draft. You could tell that they were trying to do this. However, they still rarely did it at the expense of skill. For instance, Jurco and Tvrdon are of a decent size, but they are also skilled.

They also have the luxury of going this route because their prospect pool is good. They can take more chances. Guys like Nyquist and Tatar will eventually find their way on to the roster. Now they can focus on complimenting those guys with bigger players to round out their team.

This is in part why I was happy with taking Jensen over Rattie. Jensen provided a blend of skill and size that Rattie, although quite possibly more skilled, would be unable to replicate.

Also, thanks for that video - I'm glad the Canucks are going BPA for 2 rounds.
A very solid and pragmatic approach to the 'size vs skill' debate. Basically, there is no 'magic formula', but when you can grab prospects with a heavy dose of both attributes, you do it and don't even blink. Drafting purely for skill or purely for size are both equally dangerous. Hockey is a game where both attributes are crucial, and a good mix is far better than an unbalanced developmental pool. And a guy who has high levels of both, is ideal. IMO, it's why a guy like Nash is so extremely valuable, despite his 'outrageous contract' and 'underperformance' etc.

Quote:
The quote about potentially adding depth at Center gives me hope that Scott Laughton is seriously on their radar. Would fit the bill for what we're looking for quite well.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Hammer2Time

why do the canucks pick so late, seeing as we got knocked out so early I thought we would have an earlier pick.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:05 PM
JanBulisPiggyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer2Time View Post
why do the canucks pick so late, seeing as we got knocked out so early I thought we would have an earlier pick.
Presidents trophy

Old
06-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
What time is the draft exactly?

Old
06-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Nuckles
On the IR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
What time is the draft exactly?
4pm pacific time on TSN.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
06-22-2012, 12:33 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You know of any good footage of Jankowski available on line, feebster?
I tried but nothing. They play in an arena with no stands and and from the small footage i did see of stanstead, barely any spectators. All thats there is what the boarding school posted on their website, which is zilch on Jankowski.

----

If we are drafting on need and Gilman sees center as their main need, I must say there aren't many C that jump out at me in the later rounds. I'd say this is a stronger draft for wingers. So here's a few:

Adam Gilmour - A big RW at 6'2", 195 who played in prep and will be going to Boston College in 2013, which may cause him to fall a bit a la McNally. He was chosen 2nd in the USHL draft, so that's also a possibility for next season.
Quote:
"Two years ago I went through a major growth spurt so it was tough getting used to," said the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder. "This year I really came into my own. I got quicker feet and became stronger on the puck. The extra reach really helps out there, also." Lengthy Article
Quote:
Gilmour is a good two-way forward with some offensive upside. He displays good, strong strides and is very good on his edges but could quicken his first few steps. He has a good feel for the puck and makes crisp, accurate passes. He backchecks well and shows good stick positioning. He is a very hardworker and is quite smart with the puck; keeps his head up and is always aware of the play.

He started off the year making simple plays and playing an unspectacular game but over the course of the season, his confidence grew and began to use his creativity and stick skills more often. This helped his offensive game grow and suggests he has top six forward potential. Link
Mackenzie MacEachern -Another guy with a projectable body. 6'2" but 175 still has room to grow. Supposed to have a high hockey IQ and is dynamic offensively. However, some have called him a poor mans Jankowski because of the stature, the potential, but also, because of the truly inferior opponents they faced this year. MacEachern was also drafted high in the USHL draft, which is where he will play next season. Commited to Michigan State for 2013. Very raw according to a few people who have seen him, but could be a decent 6th or 7th round "Go big or go home" kind of pick.

Isolation Video & an in-depth scouting report (highly recommend you check out their other videos of draft eligibles): http://reelhockeyscouting.com/tag/mackenzie-maceachern/
Another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQf5ehmtbTw

Old
06-22-2012, 03:03 AM
tututooter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
4pm pacific time tomorrow (Friday) on TSN*, and I think NHL.com will stream the 2nd day of the draft at 7am (for rounds 2-7, and the rounds go by quickly).

*it should also be streamed on TSN.ca
How quickly?

Old
06-22-2012, 04:07 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tututooter21 View Post
How quickly?
It's like a pick every few minutes, gets really quick in the later rounds.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:07 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tututooter21 View Post
How quickly?
Multiple picks can be made within a minute (although that's not necessarily the average, they generally take a bit longer than that). It goes by rather quickly since there's no need to get up on the podium and there are no complicated trades to be made. The NHL.com stream is worthless because they can't even keep up with it.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:41 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Multiple picks can be made within a minute (although that's not necessarily the average, they generally take a bit longer than that). It goes by rather quickly since there's no need to get up on the podium and there are no complicated trades to be made. The NHL.com stream is worthless because they can't even keep up with it.
Refreshing NHL.com every couple of minutes is the best way to keep up.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:05 AM
Petey Cee
reel gud

Why bother making predictions, risers/fallers and trades will put a monkey wrench in all ur predictions!! hahah!

Closed Thread