HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Traditional Media Thread (Print and Broadcast Tomfoolery)

Old
06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
I hear ya. But even there I would debate how real of a fan someone is if they do want Geno traded. Seriously. It would indicate they rarely watch the team or hockey in general, and therefore their opinion is worth about as much as someone who never watches (i.e. not a fan).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:09 AM
Master Shake

Dejan writes crap stuff

Hes never been accurate. Madden has been right more than Dejan and thats saying something.

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Mr. T

He was decent when he wrote for the Post-Gazette. The Trib is a pretty wretched periodical, so maybe working there has blighted his soul/writing abilities.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:44 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

He's not a beat writer anymore, he's this all encompassing feature writer/columnist or something. And if you want my opinion, he's often trying too hard to be edgy and provocative and instead comes off as whiny, tabloid-ish and reactionary.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:47 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Hes never been accurate. Madden has been right more than Dejan and thats saying something.
I agree for the most part but his article about Staal today was spot on

TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:19 AM
jhopspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I agree for the most part but his article about Staal today was spot on
...except he stole my arguments found in my post in the Staal thread in the Trade Rumors Board at 7:00 p.m. last night

"I am a huge Shero believer/supporter/fan, and while it's still real early, this smells of poor asset management. Shero could have avoided the corner he has backed himself into by dealing Staal last summer. You can't pay 3 centers on your team $24 million-the cap is not going to go up forever. Yeah, maybe Shero could have or will get Staal signed to a long term deal, but tying up 1/3 of your cap space in 3 players is not good cap management. Jordan Staal has been a luxury since the day he was drafted. The 29 other teams in the league would like to have 1 of Crosby, Malkin or Staal. We have had all three for over 5 years. Yes we won a cup during that time, but we have been a bust the last 3 years in the playoffs.

Moving Staal was/is a no brainer. You can't pay your 3rd line center $6 million +. The rest of the roster just won't pencil out. The prudent thing for Shero to have done would have been to deal Staal with 2 years left on his deal. Staal would have garnered a huge return, and those assets could have filled holes on the current roster as well as in the prospect system. Having Crosby and Malkin on your team does not a Cup guaranty, but again, Staal is a luxury. The 3 center model worked while Staal was on his entry level deal, but Staal has priced himself out of Pittsburgh. Now if the rumors are true, and Staal wants to sign in Carolina, he can play out the last year of his deal and walk, and Shero will be left holding his dick in his hand wondering what happened.

If you were Rutherford right now, would you give up a lot of assets now, as opposed to just waiting until 1 year from now when Staal becomes a UFA? If Rutherford acquired Staal now, would that really turn Carolina into a contender next year? Probably not. And what team is going to give up a huge return for 1 year of Staal, knowing Staal will walk at the end of the year? So what options are left for Shero? He almost has to try to negotiate during the year and get Staal to sign an extension for big big bucks. And if that happens? Cap nightmare, not to mention the fact that the negotiation will be looming over the team the entire year (which is not a good thing for a team focussed on winning a Cup). See Shero's predicament??? This is not a good situation for Shero and the Penguins organization, and it could have been avoided had Shero moved Staal last summer."

jhopspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:20 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I have no idea why the measure of a writer on this board is how good he is with rumors. Take it all with a grain of salt, trust me you'll be better off. Unfortunately pretty much all of them do it because that's the nature of the industry for better or worse. Dejan knows the sport about as well as anyone in this town at least.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
just gotta say that today really proves that all our writers are full of ****

forget wingers let's trade some of these d-prospects for journalists.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Can we stop quoting Rob Rossi?

After last year's embarrassing #Jagrwatch fiasco, I would have thought that people on this board would have learnt to shut anything Rob Rossi has to say out of their conscious mind. Obviously not. Once again, he's taken half this board for a merry dance with the Michalek rumours, reporting that he'd be traded for Yandle...er, Klesla...no, a couple of **** prospects and a pick.

His twitter feed is a classic case of verbal (or written) diarrhea and should be given no more attention than that of everyone's friend Dwayne Klessel.

The Simpsons taught us many things, and in this case, it is that if we don't look, he will do less damage. Just don't look.

"To stop those monsters 1-2-3,
Here's a fresh new way that's trouble-free,
It's got Paul Anka's guarantee...
Lisa: Guarantee void in Tennessee.
All: Just don't look! Just don't look!
Just don't look! Just don't look!
Just don't look! Just don't look!"

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:26 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

nah....all i cared about was that he saw shero was talking to phoenix, which he was.

rossi blows, but i still enjoy seeing the tweets and everything, even if they are bogus.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:28 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Can we stop quoting Rob Rossi?"

Yes, please.

/thread

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Yeah, my dumbass decided to quote one of his tweets on the trade board. Needless to say, he changed his mind 5 minutes later and tweeted that he was wrong.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Was funny watching Madden, Rossi, Yohe etc. all get proven wrong for the billionth something time yesterday. Rossi and Yohe with the Yandle crap and Madden being so matter of fact that the Pens will no way trade Jordan Staal and will make another Cup run instead because it's what good teams do.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
dandrews

Rob Rossi blocked me on twitter yesterday. I'm absolutely crushed.

BTW new to the boards!

dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

I don't care about rumor reporting on twitter that doesn't play out. They're rumors, who cares?

It's the actual writing that should be critiqued.

Dejan's latest is exactly what I mean when I say he's often reactionary and tabloid-like. A great big article talking about "disrespect" and the Penguins being "rebuked" over the Staal affair, that had he not been traded Staal would have become an "instant distraction" in the locker room. It's just nonsense intended purely to prey on the run of the mill yinzer who snaps at anything that can be taken as a slight against Pittsburgh, whether real or imagined. Everyone who thinks it over knows why the deal came to be, and it wasn't out of Staal's 'disrespect'.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:48 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
I don't care about rumor reporting on twitter that doesn't play out. They're rumors, who cares?

Dejan's latest is exactly what I mean when I say he's often reactionary and tabloid-like. A great big article talking about "disrespect" and the Penguins being "rebuked" over the Staal affair, that had he not been traded Staal would have become an "instant distraction" in the locker room. It's just nonsense intended purely to prey on the run of the mill yinzer who snaps at anything that can be taken as a slight against Pittsburgh, whether real or imagined. Everyone who thinks it over knows why the deal came to be, and it wasn't out of Staal's 'disrespect'.
Did he not see Shero and Bylsma's interviews? both seemed choked up about trading him.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:03 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:

Well said. I greatly miss Dejan the beat writer and features writer. Dejan the columnist is frustrating to read, and this is a great example of why.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
See this is not an excuse in any way, shape or form (not that you're making one necessarily). We all know the reason WHY he did not quote anyone or any facts. Because if he HAD, he would lose his job TOMORROW for basing half his story and points around the quoting of some schmuck in a coffee shop. Or on an internet board.

The ONLY way that angle to that story ending makes ANY sense as a journalistic piece, is if Pierre McGuire or one of these TSN / CBC guys is saying "I think Malkin could be traded and the Pens ought o consider it". THEN he's got a legitimate angle and story point to make, that McGuire is off his rocker and should be retired, yadda yadda. But as it is, he has basically invented half a story and taken a position of phony outrage (or whatever you want to call it) in order to complete the "drama angle".

No one in their right mind, least of all ANYONE worth quoting in the hockey world, thinks Geno should be traded. And on THAT basis alone, this dumbass "writer" and his half-assed editors, should've considered that angle to their MVP story one for the waste basket / delete bin. I swear to God, I wish I could just take over as the chief sports editor for that paper; I wish I had the connections. I could turn that POS around in 3 months flat with new writers (or old writers who suddenly felt the calling of being a real journalist for fear of losing their job), better angles, more facts, and less social-media-driven BS.

Social media should never, ever be a driver... it should always be a complimentary piece to promotions. A side venue, secondary to almost everything else that happens in the newsroom.
You realize he's a columnist and not a beat reporter, right? He's paid to offer opinion.

Look at these messageboards. There is a lot of overreactions and stupid comments made in here. And there's just as much stupid offline. He referenced the stupid and said it was stupid. When Crosby was still out with his concussion, there were a bajillion scenarios being floated on what to do with this team re: longterm plans. Whenever fans don't think we can keep Sid & Geno (& formerly Staal), they invariably wonder what sort of return they can fetch.

Is it sinking down to that level to reference that in a column? Perhaps. But sometimes you have to call out stupid; otherwise it festers and multiplies.

Kovacevic is a Pittsburgh-based journalist. I'd rather have my local people trying to tamp down some local discontentment than engaging in a tit-for-tat with Piere or other national media. And by the way, how is responding to national media speculation any different than what everyone lambastes Rossi for doing?

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:43 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

BTW, I don't think Dejan ever was THE Pens beat writer. He was Molinari's backup and general NHL/hockey guy.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:17 AM
bingobangobongo

From Dejan's blog,

Oh, and when referring to Evgeni Malkin by his nickname, please spell it “Gino.” That’s the request he and his family made of the Trib, and we will honor it, of course.

bingobangobongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:04 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingobangobongo View Post
From Dejan's blog,

Oh, and when referring to Evgeni Malkin by his nickname, please spell it “Gino.” That’s the request he and his family made of the Trib, and we will honor it, of course.
Heh ... wonder when he's going to get around to changing it on his Twitter account?

Quote:
Евгений Малкин
@malkin71_
Official Twitter page of Evgeni Geno Malkin.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:22 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Yea his sticks say GINO on them if you look.

I like spelling it geno though

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

why can't we get banter like this

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
In celebration of what could be my last night on Sportscentre and That's Hockey for awhile, I won't be wearing pants on set tonight.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
@DarrenDreger dude, TMI

Old
07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
He's not a beat writer anymore, he's this all encompassing feature writer/columnist or something. And if you want my opinion, he's often trying too hard to be edgy and provocative and instead comes off as whiny, tabloid-ish and reactionary.
This is the Trib's business model in a nutshell.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Rossi on Malkin's return.

a near travesty of reportage.