HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft | Jun 22 | 7:00p | 4th Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 07:54 AM
JKP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
If we end up with Murray I will be extremely happy.

I would be willing to settle for Forsberg or Reinhart, but Murray is what I will be crossing my fingers all day for.
I think this is my theory on tonight as well. I'd like Murray, but would settle for Forsberg or Reinhart.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I think this is my theory on tonight as well. I'd like Murray, but would settle for Forsberg or Reinhart.
Me too. I'm getting the feeling that the top 3 will be Yakupov, Murray, and Galchenyuk in whatever order. If that's so, I hope we draft Forsberg. NYI are in no position to take a risk - we need a blue chipper out of this draft. Forsberg has size, skating, maturity, leadership, and a good shot. As others have mentioned, he's got a similar profile as Kyle Okposo did coming out. He's also probably one year away from contributing, and will spend next year in the SEL. That's far preferable to riskier, slower developing Reinhart or Dumba selections whose only options next year are junior or NHL.

That pick would have the extra benefit (not the motive, though) of forcing Toronto to make a decision on Grigorenko. I'd love to see Leafs fan agonize over that one.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by center55 View Post
Looking forward to the draft, we are in a good spot and in Garth I trust! After much of my own limited research this is the way I see it.

Most Likely Yakupov, Forsberg, and Murray are gone if not Grab whoever is still around at 4 and consider it a gift.

Personally, again based on limited knowledge, I would take RIELY at pick 4 I feel when it is all said and done and you look back at this draft he (next to Murray) will be the best defenseman of the bunch.

I honestly could see us taken Riely, Dumba, Reinhart, Galchenyuk or Teravainen in this spot given are past history at the draft it is rather wide open who Snow would rate highest.

I would be surprise but not totally unhappy with Trouba, or Grigorenko

Anyone else in my mind would be hard to justify, I am confident that one of the above players will be Islanders at the end of today and that makes today a pretty good day!

Enjoy the draft!

I trust Garf as much as I trust a used car salesman @ a chop shop side of the road dealership.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:31 AM
doublechili

Snow has taken players who have produced in their draft year at the top of the draft:

Bailey 96 points (I believe)
JT 100+ points
Nino point per game power forward type with big WJC
De Haan almost point per game d-man
Strome 100+ points

My take is that Snow wants offensive talent with proven production at the top. I don't think he wants a kid who you project to someday be a point producer. I don't think he wants a steady or shut-down d-man. The variable is personality and their testing, and we don't really know those results - we can only speculate.

Murray: not sure about this. Snow passed on Gormley and Fowler who came with some similar descriptions. He had better production last year, not so much this year. Going back to midget years he didn't put up huge numbers.

Reinhart: maybe I'll be wrong, but I just don't see him being the pick. There's too much projection with him. When a guy is 6'4", you want to see things that aren't there yet. I keep reading "the offense will come" and "the physical game will develop", but you can say that about guys you pick later in the draft. Based on guys Snow has passed on previously, I don't expect him to be the pick.

Rielly: possible.

Dumba: very possible - he's the guy I think they'll take. Among the top D, rated the best skater, best shot, physical, best draft year production (close to point per game and led all WHL d-men in goals as a 17 year old). Dynamic player. Are his mistakes the result of excess passion or hockey sense issues? That's a question. Not too concerned about the size thing: he seems like the kind of guy who will do what it takes to make himself as big and strong as he can possibly become.

Forwards: Yak: barring a trade-up or remotely possible slip to #4, not likely.

Forsberg: I could see them taking him, although they did pass on Mika Z last year, FWIW. Not huge production either.

Galchenyuk: very possible they like him, but unlikely he'll be there at #4.

Grigorenko: do you take him at #4 when some are now saying he could slip into the teens?

Teravainen: I don't see it, but who knows.

Faksa: a wildcard/trade down possibility.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Renbarg

I predict that the isles will not pick 4th.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:38 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Did Garth just say......
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...tent=Islanders

Old
06-22-2012, 08:45 AM
TROLLPOSO

Now that I've slept on it, my gut says that Snow will make a trade down for a D-Man 2 or 3 spots and then draft Dumba.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
I am ok with this. However i do not want it to be a trade down type thing. I would be ok with this pick going elsewere.
But it has to be a true top flight ready to go player.
Someone who would either be top 6 foward or top 3 D
otherwise i would draft Forsberg.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
Now that I've slept on it, my gut says that Snow will make a trade down for a D-Man 2 or 3 spots and then draft Dumba.
What can you get by trading down two slots though.
Unless he is using the pick plus a roster player to trade down a bit.
I do not think any team is going to give you to much Quality just to pick two spots higher. Now if it was a team with a pick between 20-30 perhaps you could get quality just for the pick.
I would think if you do trade down two spots the other team is giving you there 3rd or late second with it.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I predict that the isles will not pick 4th.
This would not surprise me at all

Old
06-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Isles Junkie

If Reinhart is the man, I hope it's not at 4. He'll be available at 8. trade down.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Forsberg: I could see them taking him, although they did pass on Mika Z last year, FWIW. Not huge production either.
Forsberg is playing against seniors. Not juniors like all the american players. Ofcourse his production isn't huge.

I would say that Filip is a better player than Mika.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
he made mention of trading prospects for veteran help a couple weeks ago.

I am perfectly ok with it as long as the return is worth it. I don't want to be trading guys like Strome and Nelson for Tomas Kaberle or something. But if they can get a good 26-30 year old under contract then go for it. It's high time the club started bringing in outside talent.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:26 AM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Craig Button saying we will take Griffin Reinhart. If so, no reason to commit suicide. Reinhart is as good a pick as any defenseman out there only bigger body.
None of the D prospects are projected as future #1's. More like #2's/3's.
Button has absolutely no clue who we are taking, nobody does except for Garth and his scouts.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:31 AM
kasper11

There are so many options with this pick that I would be ok with...

If we end up with one of Grigs, Galchenyuk or Murray I would be happy.

If we traded back and still ended up with Dumba, Reilly, Reinhart, Teravainen (sp?) I would be happy.

If we traded up and got Yakupov I would be ecstatic.

If we traded the pick as part of a package for a top-pairing dman I would be ecstatic.

Really looking forward to this draft.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Menwithouthat tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
If Reinhart is the man, I hope it's not at 4. He'll be available at 8. trade down.
Reinhart will not be there at 8, he'll be the 2nd defenseman taken. Rielly and Dumba will go lower than many think (probably in the 8-12 range).

Also, everybody saying we should trade down 2-3 spots - well what do you think Anaheim or Minnesota is going to give up to move up 2-3 spots? Maybe a 3rd round pick. Not worth it. If a trade down is to happen, we'll be moving down to 10-11 to teams with extra picks, and our first pick will be someone like Ceci.

I think Murray is there at 4. Edmonton trades with Burke, gets Luke Shenn and the #5 pick, which will be used to take Reinhart. Columbus takes Forsberg at #2, and Montreal takes Galchenyuk or Grigorenko at #3.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

My hope for tonight?

We get Murray at 4.

If not, we see this team trade down pick-for-pick until we grab Maatta around 10.

Those would be my ideal situations for tonight's events.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Baeron

When will the actual picking start tonight? I'm in Europe and do not fancy getting up and then having to sit through some boring show stuff or speeches. So will it be fairly straight forward or can I wait till 8pm?
Thanks!

Old
06-22-2012, 09:53 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menwithouthat tricks View Post
Reinhart will not be there at 8, he'll be the 2nd defenseman taken. Rielly and Dumba will go lower than many think (probably in the 8-12 range).

Also, everybody saying we should trade down 2-3 spots - well what do you think Anaheim or Minnesota is going to give up to move up 2-3 spots? Maybe a 3rd round pick. Not worth it. If a trade down is to happen, we'll be moving down to 10-11 to teams with extra picks, and our first pick will be someone like Ceci.

I think Murray is there at 4. Edmonton trades with Burke, gets Luke Shenn and the #5 pick, which will be used to take Reinhart. Columbus takes Forsberg at #2, and Montreal takes Galchenyuk or Grigorenko at #3.
Who knows...all it will take for that pick to go up in value is for two teams behind us to be in love with the same player (Dumba or Grigs or Forsberg or Galchenyuk). It isn't that hard to imagine two of Toronto, Anaheim, Minnesota, Winnipeg falling in love with one of those players.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Forsberg is playing against seniors. Not juniors like all the american players. Ofcourse his production isn't huge.

I would say that Filip is a better player than Mika.
Possibly, then again, Mika also played his fair share against men in his draft year for Djurgarden in the SEL as opposed to Forsberg against seniors in the Allsvenskan.

Of course, Mika found himself playing a handful of Allsvenskan games to conclude this past season as well.:-)

Old
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
silly1118

Got a prediction for ya:

#DarrenMillard - on twitter(close to coyotes, i guess) has reported last night that the front office of the Coyotes have Keith Yandle in play. And a deal is "close". This fits Garth's type of player: Veteran defenseman, youngish, immediate help, and with the Coyotes future possibly even further uncertain than the Islanders', he can be moved to us.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say the Yandle is an Islander tonight, with out 4th overall going the other way..

Thoughts?

Old
06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeron View Post
When will the actual picking start tonight? I'm in Europe and do not fancy getting up and then having to sit through some boring show stuff or speeches. So will it be fairly straight forward or can I wait till 8pm?
Thanks!
The actual picking will likely start around 1:30 AM our time.

I'm going to tune in at 1 AM... Gotta watch footy and then celebrate Midsommar first.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:07 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by silly1118 View Post
Got a prediction for ya:

#DarrenMillard - on twitter(close to coyotes, i guess) has reported last night that the front office of the Coyotes have Keith Yandle in play. And a deal is "close". This fits Garth's type of player: Veteran defenseman, youngish, immediate help, and with the Coyotes future possibly even further uncertain than the Islanders', he can be moved to us.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say the Yandle is an Islander tonight, with out 4th overall going the other way..

Thoughts?
I don't see it...why would Phoenix move a young top-pairing dman for a pick? I think they want immediate help at forward.

They have no need to clear cap space...they are at $35M with 17 players signed. Moving one of their best players without seeing an upgrade elsewhere would be weird.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:16 AM
silly1118

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I don't see it...why would Phoenix move a young top-pairing dman for a pick? I think they want immediate help at forward.

They have no need to clear cap space...they are at $35M with 17 players signed. Moving one of their best players without seeing an upgrade elsewhere would be weird.
Good points! Didnt think about it. It seemed like a good fit for the isles! Perhaps they feel that whoever they take at #4(Grigs?Forsberg?) can step into their forward lineup?? who knows?

Was just a hunch

Old
06-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by silly1118 View Post
Got a prediction for ya:

Thoughts?
i am all for that

Closed Thread